View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 61 of 576 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Noel's ability to block shots and make steals will make him a much better prospect than Tristan. The Cavs really need a shotblocker so wouldn't rule out Noel. The advance metric stat geeks go wild for rebounds, steals, and blocks so I'm guessing Grant and the Cavs FO will have some interest in Noel even though Len would likely be the better fit next to their current guys.

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Len had another big game of 19pts/9rb/1blk on 8/14 shooting in 28 minutes. He's starting to look like the focal point of Maryland's offense. I'm rooting for him because we are in dire need of an elite big man.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 459 Posts

As much as I like Shabazz, I think Noel and Len should be 1-2 on our board in that order. Defense needs to be our #1 priority for this draft if Kyrie and Dion are going to be revolving doors, and Noel can be that intimidating presence down low. I do like Len's offensive ability, but Noel's D puts him slightly ahead for me. Assuming the Lakers get it together and make the playoffs (hopefully as an 8 seed, lol), we'll be in good position to use that pick to move up again and fill our hole at SF. I think with that pick and our hoard of 2nd rounders, we should move up as high as possible and grab one of Otto Porter, Alex Poythress, or James MacAdoo. All have great SF size, get after it on the boards, and would be a massive upgrade over anything we are currently running out at the 3.

If we came out of this draft with Nerlens Noel and Otto Porter.... yikes. We all of a sudden have 2 new defensive studs plus Tristan to go along with Kyrie and Dion. Plus, while Noel and Porter aren't going to drop 30 every night, they both appear to be very efficient scorers with well over .500 fg%. I don't see the need for another volume shooter with Kyrie and Dion already on board. Porter plays the game the right way. Did I mention I really really want Otto Porter?

Thanks

Out of all the SFs in this draft, I like LeBryan Nash the best after shabazz. Really not a fan of otto porter and I hate mcadoo. poythress just seems alright like a high motor guy

Nash looks he has the most potential out of all of them, I think he'll be a stud, how can you not with that name. Dude just looks like a baller too

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionWaters For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

Sorry, I hate Nash's game. Low shooting %'s and no jumper.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Otto Porter either. He reminds me of a another do it all Georgetown guy, Jeff Green. I see him as a solid option but nobody I'd get excited about.

Really, this just isn't a very good draft for SFs. The more talented guys at the top are probably more face up 4's than 3's.

Thanks

Anyone watching Kansas-OSU right now?

McLemore is going off! 3/4 2/2 from 3 or 8 pts thru 7 minutes

He's got such a sweet jumper

Seriously think he'll end up being the best player from this draft

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DionWaters For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 679 Posts

Yeah he is quite a leaper too. Good player.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Futuredome View Post
    Shabazz looks like the kind of hybrid the Cavs would love. When Irving is off the court, they can just move Dion to the PG and Shabbazz to the 2. When Dion is off the court, they can move Shabbazz to the 2 and bring in Gee.

Looks like Noel is being considered the consolation prize at 3. Sorta of a rich man's TT. Taller and longer. Needs alot of work on offense.
    Whattt !!!???!

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 679 Posts

Tired as hell staying up to watch UCLA so I will keep it short. Shabazz scored a lot of points but the kid trying to defend him was physically inferior. It wasn't even fair. He absolutely raped him down low then on the next possession he goes out and drains a spot-up 3. I will say he does bust his ass to get good shots. I don't know where all of this ball dominance bullshit is coming from - unless you're just making claims from his junior year of HS scouting reports. He moves very well without the ball.

I would like to see him against a more athletic team - they play Missouri Friday so we will see what's up then.

The con: he did drive to his right tonight but the dribbles didn't seem fluid at all and instead of attempting to finish with his right hand which would have given the ball more elevation from his angle and could have bounced in from the glass, he tried with his left and the ball didn't even get above the rim. He really needs toovercome this or good perimeter defenders will severely hinder his production because of this.

Jordan Adams is going in the lottery.

Kyle Anderson finds ways to be very productive (flirted with a triple double) his jumper isn't there right now.

If this team continues to develop and work hard they will be scary in March. Very talented. Larry Drew is a very efficient point guard and they have the best pair of perimeter scorers in the entire country.

Team Player
    Thanks

This dude has agreat work ethic and character.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colleg...,7467675.story

A few weeks ago, Shabazz Muhammad looked slow, heavy and somewhat overmatched. He was not what was expected. But now, heading into Saturday's home game against Fresno State, he has emerged as UCLA's leading scorer.

Although the transformation was probably not a surprise, the source of the turnaround was odd: three former USC players.

Ron Holmes, Muhammad's father, and two other former USC basketball players — Jacque Hill and Don Carfino — helped Muhammad sharpen his game during almost daily private workouts in Westwood.

"Shabazz is more like family than just a kid that I know," said Hill, a first-team All-American guard who played alongside Holmes in the 1980s.

"If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near UCLA," Hill added with a laugh.

Some late-night sessions lasted into the early morning as they focused on footwork, moving without the ball, mid-range shooting, how to beat a defender off the dribble and more.

"There's nothing that can substitute for experience, and I think the three of us have a little more than Shabazz," said Carfino, who played with Hill at USC.

They each felt that Muhammad was struggling in part because he was trying to play in college as he did in high school: by bulling through weaker, smaller opponents rather than outplaying them.

"He got a rude awakening," Holmes said.

At the same time they decided to help him, Muhammad was cleared to lift weights with his lower body after suffering a high ankle sprain that had hindered him during the summer and into the fall.

But not only could Muhammad lift weights, he could also go full-out on conditioning. He began running sprints after practice and spending hours on a treadmill and an exercise bike.

Coupled with a drastically changed diet — no fast food, sugary drinks or juices — he started to shed weight, losing about 13 pounds to come down to 219.

"He understands his body is his investment, and he really started to understand the importance of taking care of it and fueling it right," said Brent Tanaka, the team's strength and conditioning coach.

In practices, his explosiveness and stamina returned. And in games, Muhammad started playing up to the reputation of a player considered the best overall recruit in the country last year.

He scored a career-high 25 points against Prairie View A&M on Dec. 15 and followed it up with 21 against Long Beach State, both blowout UCLA wins. His per-game average is up to 17.8.

And in both games, Muhammad looked better in every aspect, especially conditioning and his ability to break down defenders.

Muhammad has been a whole new player, but the scary part, Holmes said, is that his son will reach another level soon.

"By the time conference comes," Holmes said, "you're going to see a whole new Shabazz."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    This dude has agreat work ethic and character.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colleg...,7467675.story

A few weeks ago, Shabazz Muhammad looked slow, heavy and somewhat overmatched. He was not what was expected. But now, heading into Saturday's home game against Fresno State, he has emerged as UCLA's leading scorer.

Although the transformation was probably not a surprise, the source of the turnaround was odd: three former USC players.

Ron Holmes, Muhammad's father, and two other former USC basketball players — Jacque Hill and Don Carfino — helped Muhammad sharpen his game during almost daily private workouts in Westwood.

"Shabazz is more like family than just a kid that I know," said Hill, a first-team All-American guard who played alongside Holmes in the 1980s.

"If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have gone anywhere near UCLA," Hill added with a laugh.

Some late-night sessions lasted into the early morning as they focused on footwork, moving without the ball, mid-range shooting, how to beat a defender off the dribble and more.

"There's nothing that can substitute for experience, and I think the three of us have a little more than Shabazz," said Carfino, who played with Hill at USC.

They each felt that Muhammad was struggling in part because he was trying to play in college as he did in high school: by bulling through weaker, smaller opponents rather than outplaying them.

"He got a rude awakening," Holmes said.

At the same time they decided to help him, Muhammad was cleared to lift weights with his lower body after suffering a high ankle sprain that had hindered him during the summer and into the fall.

But not only could Muhammad lift weights, he could also go full-out on conditioning. He began running sprints after practice and spending hours on a treadmill and an exercise bike.

Coupled with a drastically changed diet — no fast food, sugary drinks or juices — he started to shed weight, losing about 13 pounds to come down to 219.

"He understands his body is his investment, and he really started to understand the importance of taking care of it and fueling it right," said Brent Tanaka, the team's strength and conditioning coach.

In practices, his explosiveness and stamina returned. And in games, Muhammad started playing up to the reputation of a player considered the best overall recruit in the country last year.

He scored a career-high 25 points against Prairie View A&M on Dec. 15 and followed it up with 21 against Long Beach State, both blowout UCLA wins. His per-game average is up to 17.8.

And in both games, Muhammad looked better in every aspect, especially conditioning and his ability to break down defenders.

Muhammad has been a whole new player, but the scary part, Holmes said, is that his son will reach another level soon.

"By the time conference comes," Holmes said, "you're going to see a whole new Shabazz."
    I want him. SG. SF. Don't know. Don't care. I want the dude. He'd do wonders for this team. Move Andy for the TOR 1st if possible, draft a big man who can shoot and defend, and we're sitting pretty.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,139 Posts

MUHAMMAD 27 points in 26 Minutes. His shoulder is healing and he has is conditioning back. He is starting to look like the guy from HS! He and Len will start to separate themsleves from the pack in the next month! He continues to perfect his jumper like he has and I see a guy who can put up 20 a night by his 2nd or 3rd year in the association!
    Last edited by ajz20; 12-23-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,580 Posts

If Shabazz is the BPA, I take him. I take the BPA regardless of position (besides PG). Even though I say this, I hate the thought of becoming even more undersized. IMO, it is a big reason we suck so bad on defense.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Gimme Some Mo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    If Shabazz is the BPA, I take him. I take the BPA regardless of position (besides PG). Even though I say this, I hate the thought of becoming even more undersized. IMO, it is a big reason we suck so bad on defense.
    We aren't really suffering from being undersized. Kyrie's bigger than the average PG. Although Dion is slightly shorter and less lengthy than normal, he's athletic and smart enough to be great on both ends of the floor, and he's proven that thus far. We don't really have our small forward of the future yet, so I'll address that in a minute. Tristan has average height, but above average length (7'1" wingspan, 9'1" standing reach) and athleticism for a power forward. His weight is also average for a small forward. And then we have a 7'1" center in Zeller although his wingspan and standing reach are below average for a center.

I've already showed objective data, proving that Shabazz would not be undersized for the small forward position. He would be about average size for a small forward. He's actually bigger than Alonzo, who defends the small forward position well. If he can do it, then I'm sure Shabazz can do it. Besides, I'm sure Shabazz will play some SG on our team as well if we were to get him.

You know, it's funny. Our best defenders are the ones who would be considered "undersized." Boobie (too short) Dion (too short), Alonzo (too short), and Andy (too skinny/weak) are all undersized for their positions, yet they are our best defenders. Really, the only non-undersized player we have who is as good at defense as them is Tristan. 4 our of our top 5 defenders are considered undersized. It's our normal-sized players who are holding us back on defense, so your argument doesn't really hold up too well.

Thanks

I think Bennett is my top prospect in the draft. To me his lack of height is going to be a red herring. I still see him physically dominating PFs at the next level due to his combination of freakish explosiveness and strength. Then add in a very strong perimeter game for a PF and how natural and smooth he looks offensively, and the fact that he's having a 34 PER season as a freshman.. he just sounds perfect