View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 73 of 576 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173573 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,535 Times in 4,046 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    Well first of all... teams don't draft based on fit. Noel is the best center/power forward prospect in the draft. If both him and Len are sitting there when the Cavs pick, I will be seriously pissed off if the Cavs take Len.

Noel may be raw and a ways off, but I don't see Len being some freak at the next level... ever...
    It really depends on the Cavs' draft model. Most teams seem to use a tiering model, where players are organized into tiers based on projected talent. Teams then draft the best fit from the players in the top remaining tier. If Noel and Len are both placed in the same tier, which is probable, it makes sense to draft Len because he's obviously a better fit. However, if the team considers Noel to be a tier above Len, then they'd be obligated to draft Noel no matter what if he's still on the board.

For example, the tiers could be:
    1. Franchise player.
    2. Perennial All-Star.
    3. All-Star caliber.
    4. Solid starter.
    5. Solid role-player.
    6. Rotation guy.
    7. Everyone else.

All Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    It really depends on the Cavs' draft model. Most teams seem to use a tiering model, where players are organized into tiers based on projected talent. Teams then draft the best fit from the players in the top remaining tier. If Noel and Len are both placed in the same tier, which is probable, it makes sense to draft Len because he's obviously a better fit. However, if the team considers Noel to be a tier above Len, then they'd be obligated to draft Noel no matter what if he's still on the board.

For example, the tiers could be:
    1. Franchise player.
    2. Perennial All-Star.
    3. All-Star caliber.
    4. Solid starter.
    5. Solid role-player.
    6. Rotation guy.
    7. Everyone else.
    Irving: franchise player
    Waiters: Perennial All-Star
    Thompson: All Star Caliber
    Zeller: Solid starter

That is what the Cavs can upgrade

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,535 Times in 4,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Futuredome View Post
    Irving: franchise player
    Waiters: Perennial All-Star
    Thompson: All Star Caliber
    Zeller: Solid starter

That is what the Cavs can upgrade
    Well, the logic is that you draft the player who is the best fit from the highest tier available. So, for example, if we're on the clock and there is only one player left from tier two (there don't look to be any tier one guys in this draft), we draft that guy regardless of position or trade down.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the draft...

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 679 Posts

Speaking of which:

Dear everyone,

Kansas (mclemore) and Baylor (Austin) go head-to-head tomorrow night at 9 at ESPN. Tune in

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MGMT For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,035 Posts

Watching Maryland right now. EXTREMELY frustrated with their horrible guard play. Long gone are the days of Steve Blake, Gilchrist, Dixon or even Vazquez.

Gary Williams has to be sweating through his retirement recliner somewhere watching this style of play.

LEN looks like a baby Ilgauskas.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,139 Posts

I just watched Maryland play a half and man are they stunting Len's growth as a player. They make no, (I mean no attempt to post him up or run a pick and roll. Basicaly thier gaurds are running the ball up the court and either jacking up contested shots, or driving into a packed paint and taking contested shots in the paint. He needs to get the hell out of there as soon as possible. You think a medicore team who struggles to run a smooth offense whould use a skilled 7 foot one 245 center who can shoot and post up. Sorry, for the rant, but I just realized that it will be impossible to really judge Len based on the selfish horrific gaurd play of the Terps!

After watching Bennett the other night, I have to say he is the most athletic post player out of all of the prospects. However, it would really be hard to pass on Len!
    Last edited by ajz20; 01-13-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    Well first of all... teams don't draft based on fit. Noel is the best center/power forward prospect in the draft. If both him and Len are sitting there when the Cavs pick, I will be seriously pissed off if the Cavs take Len.

Noel may be raw and a ways off, but I don't see Len being some freak at the next level... ever...
    I was watching the Kentucky game yesterday and Noel is UNREAL on defense! Its insane how good he is, He was blocking literally EVERYTHING near the basket. I still like Len more because of the offense but would not be mad at all if we chose Noel over him. With Noel, you at least know you will get elite level defense out of him even if you get nothing else. With the offense oriented guys, sometimes you don't know how they'll turn out in the nba so their riskier.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DionWaters For This Useful Post:

A View Inside the Game Wine and Gold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,758 Times in 748 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    I just watched Maryland play a half and man are they stunting Len's growth as a player. They make no, (I mean no attempt to post him up or run a pick and roll. Basicaly thier gaurds are running the ball up the court and either jacking up contested shots, or driving into a packed paint and taking contested shots in the paint. He needs to get the hell out of there as soon as possible. You think a medicore team who struggles to run a smooth offense whould use a skilled 7 foot one 245 center who can shoot and post up. Sorry, for the rant, but I just realized that it will be impossible to really judge Len based on the selfish horrific gaurd play of the Terps!

After watching Bennett the other night, I have to say he is the most athletic post player out of all of the prospects. However, it would really be hard to pass on Len!
    LOL !! I'm hoping it holds Len's value down somehow..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wine and Gold For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Watching the game and they are saying Len now weighs 251 pounds so that makes him 7'1-7'5wingspan at 251 and he can shoot. I like!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I just came here to say how frustrated I am with these Maryland guards, I see you guys already took care of it.

For real though, these guys are making this game harder than it needs to be. If you have a dominant big man just give him the damn ball! What is that coach thinking?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldin Brown For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper pinoycavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...e-bobcats.html

The 2012 NBA draft was good, not great.

It had one can’t-miss prospect (New Orleans big man Anthony Davis), another quick-emerging star (Portland point guard Damian Lillard) and a bunch of guys who’ll be solid contributors with lengthy careers.

If two NBA scouts who travel the country each college basketball season are right, the 2013 draft won’t come close to that.

The Observer consulted with two long-time scouts (neither connected to the Charlotte Bobcats) as conference seasons commence in the college game. Each works for a team likely to have a top-10 pick. Each spoke on condition of anonymity because neither is authorized by his employer to speak publicly on draft prospects.

While the two conversations were separate, each conveyed the same conclusion: This isn’t the year a franchise-changer will emerge from the draft process

“I don’t think this is a good draft,” said one scout. “This is the year you should consider trading your draft pick – no matter where it is.

That could be important in Charlotte, where the Bobcats at 9-24 look like they’ll miss the playoffs for the eighth time in nine seasons.

At their current place in the standings, the Bobcats would avoid turning their 2013 pick over to the Chicago Bulls to complete the Tyrus Thomas trade. Also, the Bobcats could end up with an extra first-round pick if the Portland Trail Blazers selection is outside the top 12, completing the Gerald Wallace trade.

It sounds unlikely the Bobcats or any other lottery-bound team would find a difference-maker in 2013.

“The draft lottery was always supposed to be about exceptional players going to the worst teams,” said one of the scouts. “We’ve eroded the concept of ‘exceptional’ – exceptional doesn’t really exist anymore.”

Both scouts say that erosion can be traced to the so-called “one-and-done” rule that governs draft eligibility. Under the collective-bargaining agreement, U.S. players can’t be in the draft until they’re at least one season removed from their high school graduating class.

The unintended consequence of that, these scouts say, is players with pro aspirations now consider one season of college ball the maximum they should stay.

“Now they think one season is the ceiling, not just the floor,” one scout said. “That creates a problem.”

The problem, both said, is while this is better than kids turning pro out of high school, you’re still using high picks on players a long way from finished products. The days when a Tim Duncan, Grant Hill or Chris Mullin entered the NBA, with a clear understanding of how those players would fit, are long over.

To describe this dynamic’s effect, one scout mentioned UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad and projected him hypothetically with the Bobcats. He mentioned that while Muhammad will be a high pick, he is flawed and inexperienced and would be redundant to much of what Michael Kidd-Gilchrist already provides the Bobcats.

“That’s what we all do,” the scout concluded. “We draft guys who are a lot like the ones we already have, only the guys we already have are better at least right now.

“But these guys are younger, so we get excited in the moment. And then you come to realize you haven’t changed much with your high pick.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#storylink=cpy

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pinoycavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

A few have mentioned Nerlens Noel's performance in Kentucky's loss to Texas A&M on Saturday (1/12), but nobody explicitly mentioned his freakish statline:
    15 PTS (4-6 FG), 11 REB, 6 AST, 7 BLK, 4 STL, 0 TO, 1 PF in 39 minutes
    I've been a Noel believer, but these kinds of games make you fall in love.

Also, Anthony Bennett had another domineering performance in UNLV's Saturday win as well (22 and 16 on 9-14 from the floor), he's perhaps as good as anyone in the draft.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STAT View Post
    A few have mentioned Nerlens Noel's performance in Kentucky's loss to Texas A&M on Saturday (1/12), but nobody explicitly mentioned his freakish statline:
    15 PTS (4-6 FG), 11 REB, 6 AST, 7 BLK, 4 STL, 0 TO, 1 PF in 39 minutes
    I've been a Noel believer, but these kinds of games make you fall in love.

Also, Anthony Bennett had another domineering performance in UNLV's Saturday win as well (22 and 16 on 9-14 from the floor), he's perhaps as good as anyone in the draft.
    He's averaging an insane 2.7 SPG and 3.7 BPG on the season. I expected the blocks, but it's insane how he gets so many steals at his size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 611 Posts

I'm having a hard time agreeing with scouts and gm's regarding this draft. There is some very nice talent in the lottery. I really like noel, bennett, mclemore, shabazz and len. I would be very happy if we landed any of those guys. Len and shabazz are the two best fits, but I think benett, noel and mclemore might be the most talented.

Noel is very underrated offensively. He doesn't have a jump shot and is a little light. He does have a jumphook with both hands though. I haven't seen any footage of len going to his left hand. He seems to prefer a fadeaway jumpers rather than jump hooks. At 7'1" with his length and hops, jump hooks would be impossible to defend.

Sent from my ass using tapatalk 2
    Last edited by TyGuy; 01-14-2013 at 03:44 AM.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TyGuy For This Useful Post: