View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 78 of 576 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 573 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    You are not wrong. As someone who's had the pleasure of watching (almost) every game of his in person, I can tell you first-hand that this kid is special. You know how there are those players that when you watch them, you can just tell that they have "it"? You can't really explain what "it" is, but you know it when you see it. Well, this kid has "it."

He has the ability to completely dominate a game without anyone even realizing he's dominating it. Its exactly what you were saying, RCR, he never forces anything. Its all within the flow of the offense, which is the most amazing part given his talent and age. Everything he does is so damn effortless. And he plays DEFENSE! That's been the most refreshing aspect. Usually young guys that are that good completely ignore the defensive side of the ball, but he relishes the opportunity to D up.

I could go on and on about this kid. But I'll just leave you with a few videos:

Oh, and on that game-tying shot, he called bank. THE MOTHERFUCKER CALLED BANK!

And that's just a taste. There are so many more highlight videos on Youtube.
    I started out this season already high on McLemore and, the more games I've seen, the more I'm slowly finding myself morphing into a limping puppy with eyes like Eli's in my level of love for McLemore as a prospect.

It's been so long since I've seen a prospect like him. Absolute freak athletes like him almost always have some major skill deficits at the same points in their careers, in only his first year actually playing in games against college competition. Looking at wings, typically the freak athletes, early in their careers, lack the ball-handling ability to create for themselves at all, can't shoot a lick, lack defensive or offensive awareness or both, lack mental focus or physical motor, and/or have some other holes in their game due to just being able to rely on running faster and jumping higher than everybody else on the court in high school. I can't find any real hole in McLemore's game, even his ballhandling, which I think is better than advertised and keeps getting better.

You're right -- Ben's just so damn smooth and effortless in everything he does on the court. He rises and hangs in the air like the high flying SG's of "old" (depending on your age). He's a lights out shooter. He gives effort on D. He can drive with the ball and, even better, he stays moving without it. He even seems to be a focused and good kid. He just seems to have it all.

A View Inside the Game Wine and Gold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,242 Times in 726 Posts

Shabazz is a player we'll have to consider as well, obviously. I think we'd have to look at him as the player that starts at SG, and allows us to bring Waiters in as our Harden-esque superstar sixth man. But, in my mind we are really looking to, if at all possible, land our starting center of the future with our #1 pick this coming draft.

After last season's NCAA schedule ended, I don't think Alex Len was on my radar as being a likely target with a top 5 pick in the 2013 draft for us ... But, I happen to know the person and program ..that AL worked with and participated in throughout this past summer. Kid worked like a gladiator... changed his diet..and literally got involved with a regimine that was modified from what the football program has there, and he worked with a group of Terrapin football guys and really got his body solid, and his strength jumped in a very very big way. Not sure if you realize this, but the kid put on 24 lbs from the end of his Freshman season to the start of his Sophomore campaign. That's an amazing transformation in that his weight gained was solid weight. A real testament to the level of work and dedication he put in.

Plus, this kid's work ethic is very similar to Tristan's, in that they both live the game, and have that desire to pay the price, devote the time needed, and seek out the right people that can help him maximize the results from that time and effort spent, and he needed at this point in his young career. He has taken his body, and really set the tone through hard work, great diet and workout regimen to establish an absolutely perfect foundation for which build a physique.... to go along with his natural gifts of length, and athletic coordination... that can become a dominant pure center in the NBA.

This guy, to me ...is a guy that would be the perfect guy to pair with Tristan Thompson, and could become the best young 1-2 punch down low in the entire NBA, in due time. Plus, Z would be the perfect mentor, and he's already in place. Len, being simliar to a young Ilgauskas also, as I think both come from Lithuania..
    Last edited by Wine and Gold; 01-16-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,613 Times in 979 Posts

If memory serves Len is ukranian. He'd be a great fit for this organisation, bring on the ukraintrain 2.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wine and Gold View Post
    Shabazz is a player we'll have to consider as well, obviously. I think we'd have to look at him as the player that starts at SG, and allows us to bring Waiters in as our Harden-esque superstar sixth man. But, in my mind we are really looking to, if at all possible, land our starting center of the future with our #1 pick this coming draft.

After last season's NCAA schedule ended, I don't think Alex Len was on my radar as being a likely target with a top 5 pick in the 2013 draft for us ... But, I happen to know the person and program ..that AL worked with and participated in throughout this past summer. Kid worked like a gladiator... changed his diet..and literally got involved with a regimine that was modified from what the football program has there, and he worked with a group of Terrapin football guys and really got his body solid, and his strength jumped in a very very big way. Not sure if you realize this, but the kid put on 24 lbs from the end of his Freshman season to the start of his Sophomore campaign. That's an amazing transformation in that his weight gained was solid weight. A real testament to the level of work and dedication he put in.

Plus, this kid's work ethic is very similar to Tristan's, in that they both live the game, and have that desire to pay the price, devote the time needed, and seek out the right people that can help him maximize the results from that time and effort spent, and he needed at this point in his young career. He has taken his body, and really set the tone through hard work, great diet and workout regimen to establish an absolutely perfect foundation for which build a physique.... to go along with his natural gifts of length, and athletic coordination... that can become a dominant pure center in the NBA.

This guy, to me ...is a guy that would be the perfect guy to pair with Tristan Thompson, and could become the best young 1-2 punch down low in the entire NBA, in due time. Plus, Z would be the perfect mentor, and he's already in place. Len, being simliar to a young Ilgauskas also, as I think both come from Lithuania..
    Me: I like Len, not my favorite of the bunch, but I'd be happy with him.
    W&G posts about him.
    Me: I want Alex Len.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to YuenglingGator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 727 Posts

I'd be comfortable selecting Len, Noel, Bazz, or McLemore. Don't know the order yet, but I think all four make up the first tier.

Once they are off the board? Then my mind goes to Anthony Bennet and Cody Zeller.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    I'd be comfortable selecting Len, Noel, Bazz, or McLemore. Don't know the order yet, but I think all four make up the first tier.

Once they are off the board? Then my mind goes to Anthony Bennet and Cody Zeller.
    Hopefully not all four of those guys are off the board when we pick.

My personal ranking would be: Noel, Muhammad, Len, and then McLemore. The season's far from over, though, so that could change.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wine and Gold View Post

Just based on talent alone, do you believe Len a better prospect than Noel?

Len obviously has more offensive polish: he can score in a variety of ways around the basket and has a decent mid-range jumper. He has elite size and good mobility. He's also been a solid defender in the limited time I've watched him. I think he'll make a solid starter in the NBA for a long time. And as you said, he's a perfect fit next to Tristan. The intangibles and work ethic are gravy.

Noel is raw offensively, though he has shown the ability to use and finish with both hands around the rim. He is a quick leaper and has excellent length. But where he really shines is on defense. He has an outstanding defensive presence on the court. His mobility at 6'11" is outstanding, and he has no problem staying in front of guys on the perimeter and defending pick and rolls. He contests or blocks everything near the rim and disrupts passing lanes. He's leading the SEC in steals as a center. For an 18yr old, his defensive abilities are rare. I can easily see him becoming a top 5 defender in the NBA and future DPOY candidate. My only concern with him on that end is his frame. He's not exactly Isaiah Austin thin in the britches, but he does have a narrower frame to him that may limit his effectiveness against the larger true Cs in the league like Howard, Cousins, Gasol.

So I guess it narrows down to this: Len is a solid prospect, but I think Noel has shown more elite NBA skills than Len has at a younger age. I really like both of them and can definitely see the Cavs going with Len just based on what I've seen from this FO so far.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 525 Posts

some interesting takes from Chad Ford's chat today:

mike:
    Who has the higher upside, Ben Mclemore or Shabazz Muhammad?

Chad Ford:
    Both have terrific upsides. Different players. McLemore is smoother, Muhammad has more of a power game. McLemore is a better shooter, Muhammad might be a little more NBA ready. Muhammad probably has a better motor right now. McLemore keeps getting better and better. Muhammad is still not 100 percent, but keeps getting better too. Both seem like great picks, though I'm personally fonder of McLemore. Both still have a legit shot at the No. 1 pick depending on what team gets the pick.
    Matt:
    Is Alex Len's stock taking a dip with the Terps struggles? Watching them as a team, they have no idea how to get him the ball.

Chad Ford:
    No, and for the reason you suggested. He's playing well, but centers need guards to get them the ball. When he touches the ball, he does good things. But agree with you that Maryland struggled to keep him involved.
    Bill
    How's Isaiah Austin's draft stock? He looks way too thin to hold his own in the NBA anytime soon.

Chad Ford
    He's having a very good freshman year. But the reason he's not in the Top 10 is his body. It's kind of the John Henson dilemma. He can clearly play, but physically he's at a disadvantage at the next level.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/46758

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to *L-Train* For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks

I prefer "Bazz" or Len nor would I have any problem starting Bazz at the 3. The rotations would be incredibly easy.

That way we would be freed up to go for a good, good big in the middle. This team could jump 30 wins.

I am not a fan of how McLemore's game will transfer, especially to this team.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post

Those are my top 4 as well. I'm going back and forth between all four of those. Better fits are Shabazz (due to his ability to play small forward and allow Dion to play more minutes in addition to allowing all three of Kyrie, Dion, and Shabazz to play at the same time) and Len (due to his offensive skillset), but the sheer potential of Noel and McLemore are intriguing. Noel's defense is future DPOY-worthy with deceptively promising offense in addition to being an absolute fastbreak nightmare and a better-looking passer, and McLemore is looking like Ray Allen on steroids. It's unfortunate that McLemore would limit Dion's potential minutes because there are only so many minutes between the PG and SG positions, nor could Kyrie, Dion, and McLemore play all at the same time without considering it "small ball," and it's unfortunate that Noel doesn't have the offensive game of Len, but their ceilings might be higher than Shabazz's and Len's ceilings.
    Last edited by Löttery Göd; 01-16-2013 at 04:11 PM.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Those are my top 4 as well. I'm going back and forth between all four of those. Better fits are Shabazz (due to his ability to play small forward and allow Dion to play more minutes in addition to allowing all three of Kyrie, Dion, and Shabazz to play at the same time) and Len (due to his offensive skillset), but the sheer potential of Noel and McLemore are intriguing. Noel's defense is future DPOY-worthy with deceptively promising offense in addition to being an absolute fastbreak nightmare and a better-looking passer, and McLemore is looking like Ray Allen on steroids. It's unfortunate that McLemore would limit Dion's potential minutes because there are only so many minutes between the PG and SG positions, nor could Kyrie, Dion, and McLemore play all at the same time without considering it "small ball," and it's unfortunate that Noel doesn't have the offensive game of Len, but their ceilings might be higher than Shabazz's and Len's ceilings.
    This class makes me want to get back into NBA 2k after a few year hiatus, just so I can trade for another top 10 pick and trot out a small ball lineup of Kyrie, Dion, McLemore, Bennett, and Tristan for 2013.

Hell, is that all that dissimilar from what the Heat sent out there to win it all? Limitless chasm in talent disparity aside, I mean.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,752 Times in 1,025 Posts

Really impressed with the way Len is sticking with an NBA-caliber player in CJ Leslie on the perimeter. Won't show up in the box score, but impressive for a guy his size.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 520 Posts

I've been unable to see full games of these guys, but from what I hear up to this point, I really like what I hear about Shabazz Muhammad and Alex Len. Anyone got not only highlight footage but good game material of them in action? And when they they might play the most (like which nights of the week?)?

And here's a silly solution if we REALLY wanted both (both I don't think it's worth it): Get a top 2 pick, get 1, trade Dion for the other (or trade Zeller + later draft pick).

But I don't think it's worth the hassle trading for both.

Tiers Center Power Forward Small Forward Shooting Guard Point Guard
    Starters Alex Len Tristan Thompson Reserved Shabazz Muhammad? Kyrie Irving
    2nd String Tyler Zeller Andy, is that you? What? Dion Waiters Hmm?
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Season Ticket Holder 3 Ball...GOT IT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 427 Posts

Watching Len today he reminds me of Z alot lol.

I've only seen 10 minutes into the 2nd half, but he hasn't done a single thing lol. Fading away/off-balance hook shots over guys smaller than him. Slow.... really slow
    AYEEEEEEE
    ANTHONY BENNETT > TRISTAN THOMPSON

A View Inside the Game Wine and Gold's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,242 Times in 726 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Ball...GOT IT View Post
    Watching Len today he reminds me of Z alot lol.

I've only seen 10 minutes into the 2nd half, but he hasn't done a single thing lol. Fading away/off-balance hook shots over guys smaller than him. Slow.... really slow
    He does have similarities to Z when he came into the league, before he had all the foot ailments that destroyed his foot speed and athleticism. Len runs the floor very very well for a big man, and is an excellent athlete for his size.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wine and Gold For This Useful Post: