View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 91 of 576 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    Floor spacing isn't needed when you have more perimeter shooting at the guard spots. The problem is Kyrie and Dion are slashers. Their money is driving. Kyrie occasionally uses shooting to free up his lanes, but that doesn't make him much different than a more efficient LeBron. If that's the case, who's going to stretch the lanes, prevent the clogging?

As for Oklahoma City, Ibaka already improved his range last year. Each year had substantial improvement. You might not have noticed or remembered it but I saw it clearly. That was a significant reason for their sudden rise to the top, along with Durant's rise to stardom.

Also, you're neglecting the Bulls models too much by mixing two different championship runs together... First was the Cartwright/Grant + Perdue/Williams/King frontcourt (the starters had decent mid range shots), then came Luc/Rodman + Wennington/Buechler. Less offense like Oklahoma, but not necessary since the Bulls could play small ball a lot with Kukoc.

Also, I think my stance is a little different now. I understand the essence of getting the BPA. If that's really Noel, then fine, but we really should wait until the end of the season before we decide. Many times, even in the middle of the college campaign, there are off days for these guys. Sometimes, the unexpected happens. And really, has Grant led us astray before? Try to trust him, you arm chair GMs...
    I kinda feel like since the Cavs seemingly had a lot of interest in trading Varejao for DeAndre Jordan, I'm sure they'd be pretty comfortable with a Thompson, Noel front court. I agree that it's not an ideal setup with our current backcourt but ALL of our young guns have been developing so much that I have no idea what this team will look like in 2 years. Just keep loading up on talent and see what you have at the end of the day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    So Kyle Anderson has steadily improved his game over the season and is now leading the Pac 12 in rebounds while (possibly) playing out of position on D as a PF while serving as the de-facto PG on offense a lot of the time. He can contribute in so many different ways, but so far hasn't shown much as a scorer or shooter. Chances are he'll declare for the draft, so if you have a mid-to-late first round draft pick, where do you draft him and what role do you envision him having on your team?
    So much hinges on his jumpshot to me. At least he's hitting 72.5% of his FTs, which while not a great number, isn't a "jumpshot is broken" number. Shabazz is 72.7% FT despite shooting the 3 wayyyy better this season.

I feel like the most similar NBA player to Anderson is Evan Turner. Turner like Anderson has an elite feel for the game, which is normally a good sign for a prospect as feel for the game is undervalued in the draft - the problem is that when Turner adds mediocre athleticism and a weak shooting game to it, it's still just not enough. I'd take Anderson in the 20s but would probably be scared to go higher than that. Landry Fields is also a decent comparison for Anderson's floor if he doesn't learn to shoot that well.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    So Kyle Anderson has steadily improved his game over the season and is now leading the Pac 12 in rebounds while (possibly) playing out of position on D as a PF while serving as the de-facto PG on offense a lot of the time. He can contribute in so many different ways, but so far hasn't shown much as a scorer or shooter. Chances are he'll declare for the draft, so if you have a mid-to-late first round draft pick, where do you draft him and what role do you envision him having on your team?
    My hope would be that he develops that jumper, increases his quickness, and becomes the next Jalen Rose

Thanks

Some draft talk from Chad Ford's chat. Nothing special but worth a read

Do you expect Kyle Anderson to go pro this year at the rate he is playing at?

Chad Ford

**(1:36 PM)

Tough one. He's getting better and better and I know many scouts are very intrigued. Another year at UCLA would do him a lot of good, but if he came out right now? He'd be a first round pick.

Cade (Las Vegas)

Marcus Smart quickly moved up your draft board. What is it that makes him such a draw for NBA teams? Who would you choose as an NBA comparison?

Chad Ford

**(1:38 PM)

NBA body/strength. Great size for a point guard. Very good passer. Excellent defender. Just a natural leader at his position. If he was a better shooter, he'd be a Top 5 pick. Still not convinced he won't be a Top 5 pick anyway when the dust settles on draft day. Love the Chauncey Billups comparisons.

Aaron (Seattle)

What is Michael-Carter Williams ceiling in terms of a comparable player in the nba?

Chad Ford

**(1:40 PM)

He's a very unique player. To me he's got a lot of Shaun Livingston in his game before Livingston went down with that catastrophic knee injury. I don't think he's strongly in the mix for the No. 1 pick, but if he went in the Top 5 I wouldn't be shocked. NBA teams LOVE big point guards and I think he's going to prove to be a better shooter than he's shown at Syracuse this year.

Michael (Columbus)

Ben McLemore seems to have the top scoring potential in this years draft class. Think he has a solid chance to be the #1 overall pick?

Chad Ford

**(1:43 PM)

I do. In fact he's strongly trending in that direction. I spoke with five different GMs this week who told me they'd take him No. 1. Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad and Alex Len are all in that mix as well, but personally, McLemore has been the best college player I've watched this season. I love him. A great combination of athleticism, length, shooting ability, ball handling and defense. He has the chance to be a very special player at a position that's been very weak over the last five years.

Robbie (Los Angeles)

What are your thoughts on Shabazz? What's keeping him from being a top pick? Great body, great motor, great talent, what's the problem? Had a slow start but that was more the NCAA's fault. Will be an all-star at the shallowest position in the league.

Chad Ford

**(1:45 PM)

He's in the mix for the No. 1 pick so I'm not exactly sure what "problem" you are seeing. He's played much better of late. His motor, his competitiveness really shine. The biggest knock on him is that he's an undersized three.

Pete (Spokane)

What are the scouts saying about Kelly Olynyk?

Chad Ford

**(1:45 PM)

Rapidly rising on draft boards. Making a charge for the first round right now.

Todd (Tn)

With Baylor's Austin production how is his stock not rising?

Chad Ford

**(1:46 PM)

He's having a very good season. NBA teams trying to figure out what he does at the NBA level given his unique skill set and frail body. He's a likely lottery pick, but I think his lack of strength (and a frame that looks like he'll struggle to add it) probably keeps him out of the Top 5.

Andrew (Ocilla, GA)

Watched a little Georgetown recently and Otto Porter really impressed me. The guy just plays with poise. Thoughts on him?

Chad Ford

**(1:48 PM)

One of my personal five favorite players in the draft. Do it all forward who plays without ego. Willing to do anything to help his team win. Has really improved his jumper. Has the potential to be a great No. 2 guy on a very good team.

Rick (Phoenix)

You keep writing about your personal favorites. Isn't that your Big Board?

Chad Ford

**(1:51 PM)

No, Big Board is a culmination of my talks with NBA scouts and GMs. I try to aggregate what they are saying. It's a reflection on their draft stock in the eyes of NBA talent evaluators. If I was giving you my personal Top 5? 1. Ben McLemore 2. Anthony Bennett 3. Marcus Smart 4. Otto Porter 5. either Shabazz Muhammad or Nerlens Noel.

Chris (Oakland City)

Any chance that Kentucky's supposed awesome group of Freshmen stay in Lexington one more year?

Chad Ford

**(1:53 PM)

Nerlens Noel has played well enough to move on. I don't think there's any way he's not a Top 5 pick. Poythress and Goodwin are struggling. Cauley-Stein is a talent, but he's even further away. If this was a strong draft (and if Kentucky didn't have a historic recruiting class coming) I think there would be a strong case for Poythress, Goodwin and Cauley-Stein to stay in school. But given the weakness of this draft, all three still have a good shot at the lottery and most players bolt if that's their draft range.

Matt (Houston)

Where does Florida's Patric Young get taken? Is he a lotto pick? I love the way he plays.

Chad Ford

**(1:55 PM)

Huge debates over Young. He's always been seen by scouts as a potential lottery pick, but his lack of production, especially on the offensive end, has hurt him. This year he's starting to get more love as scouts just accept him for what he is, an athletic, high motor big man who scaps away on defense. Doubt that puts him in the lottery, but he still has a shot at the first round.

Ben (Charlotte)

Michigan fans would appreciate it if you kept Glenn Robinson III off of your draft board plz

Chad Ford

**(1:56 PM)

I'm sure they would, but the secret is out on Robinson. He's a lock for the first round if he declares and has enough talent to sneak into the lottery. Hope he stays another year at Michigan to round out his game, but young players rarely do.

Marc (Toronto)

Does Myck have any chance of being taken? What should he do?

Chad Ford

**(1:58 PM)

Such a tough call. Let's see how he plays when he returns in a few weeks. Texas is in serious danger of not being a tournament team. That may push him to come back, but after he's been treated by the NCAA, why would he?

Rah-Steam (Hakcensack, N.J.)

What's your opinion on solid guards like: Ryan Boatwright, Phil Pressy, and Pierre Jackson? They all seem like they have an NBA skill. Your thoughts?????

Chad Ford

**(1:59 PM)

A lot of NBA guys like Pressey. He's undersized, but such a terrific leader. Some also like Jackson. Again, he's too small, but he plays with such bravado and is such a scoring threat. He's a long shot for the first round, but I do know scouts who have him there on their big board. Boatwright isn't there yet.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to YuenglingGator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 636 Posts

Rick (Phoenix)

You keep writing about your personal favorites. Isn't that your Big Board?

Chad Ford

**(1:51 PM)

No, Big Board is a culmination of my talks with NBA scouts and GMs. I try to aggregate what they are saying. It's a reflection on their draft stock in the eyes of NBA talent evaluators. If I was giving you my personal Top 5? 1. Ben McLemore 2. Anthony Bennett
    I am Chad Ford.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 404 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narbar32 View Post
    I am Chad Ford.
    The big reveal. This is a shocker of a plot twist.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by narbar32 View Post
    I am Chad Ford.
    Chad looks like we are playing our way out of a top 5 pick. So who do you like in the 5-10 range? Austin, Zeller, etc

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

What do we do if maclemore is the bpa and were on the clock? Let dion come off bench?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildfan View Post
    Chad looks like we are playing our way out of a top 5 pick. So who do you like in the 5-10 range? Porter, Zeller, etc
    I'm not Chad, but I got this one.

Cavs still have the 3rd worst record in the NBA and one of the teams worse than them just got their best player back from injury. I wouldn't worry about losing a top 5 pick just yet.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wreck View Post
    I'm not Chad, but I got this one.

Cavs still have the 3rd worst record in the NBA and one of the teams worse than them just got their best player back from injury. I wouldn't worry about losing a top 5 pick just yet.
    odds 3rd or 4th worst pick 5th or 6th. Got to enenber the balls. Of course the question is -do u feel lucky?

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyridiculous View Post
    What do we do if maclemore is the bpa and were on the clock? Let dion come off bench?
    You draft Ben McLemore.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RDriesen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

What in the world has happened to this forum...? Where's the punctuation? The actual sense of humor?

I really feel like I've taken a detour into Bizarro CavFanatic... Can someone please save whatever is left of this joint?

Because the forum is attempting to tank as badly as the Cavs were...
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,939 Times in 3,109 Posts

With Kyrie playing at the top of his game, Tristan developing rapidly, Dion continuing to assert himself, and added bench depth to the roster, I think wins will become more common. Its a tough situation to be in. On one hand you want a top 3 pick but you also know that player development is crucial. If Dion makes a leap like Tristan next year, we're a playoff team.

I like a lot of prospects in this draft. Our main needs are obvious. I think Noel is number one on my list just because of his upside. It would be great to have a shot blocker in the middle. I think he ultimately goes number one because bigs tend to rise on draft night and teams will fall in love with the upside there. I think Alex Len is actually my second choice. His skills match up very well with Tristan's. I like Shabazz. He could form a deadly combo with Kyrie. I think any of those picks would make the Cavs a better team and would hopefully complete a rebuilding process.

I think if there is a player outside of the bigger names that makes most sense for the Cavs it would be Otto Porter. I think he fits here almost too well from a skill standpoint. He fills a huge need at SF, doesn't need to dominate the ball, and has played in the Princeton offense at Georgetown which would lower his learning curve. By all accounts he is a tremendous worker, has high character, and is a team oriented guy. Taking him also allows Gee to settle into a perfect off the bench wing roleto match up with the other team. If the Cavs don't find themselves in the top 3, I hope they give heavy consideration to Porter.

I'd love to snag Dieng of Louisville with the Miami pick assuming the Lakers don't make the playoffs. I think he could step right in and be a solid defensive big at this level which is all you can ask for at the point in the draft. Being part of a winning program doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by Soar; 01-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

If we are drafting outside of the top 3 or 4 when Shabazz, Noel, McLemore are gone... Anthony Bennett is available he will be our pick, his ability to score inside and out and play minutes at the 4 and 3 make him a perfectly suited to perform in the modern NBA... Bennett does not get enough love here even though he is the highest performing Freshmen in his class.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCrockett2 View Post
    If we are drafting outside of the top 3 or 4 when Shabazz, Noel, McLemore are gone... Anthony Bennett is available he will be our pick
    As long as we don't end up drafting Len in the Top 5, I'm fine...