View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 96 of 576 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 578 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    Robinson is more advanced as a freshmen than Porter was in my opinion. Dude's already one of the best shooters in the big ten. I dig Porter too though, so.
    Everyone develops at their own pace. Hardly a comparison, imo.

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 591 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1399 View Post
    Everyone develops at their own pace. Hardly a comparison, imo.
    I understand everyone develops at their own pace. Ajz said he'd rather draft Porter high than Robinson, and I stated why I felt Robinson has more upside although the shooting isn't my only reason.
    Last edited by MGMT; 01-28-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks

Im a believer in judging players based on whether or not their name sounds like they can be a star, so based on that and looks I would take Glen Robinson III over Otto "rocket" Porter

GR3 gets a 9/10 on name while Otto gets still pulls a solid 8/10

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DionWaters For This Useful Post:

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Nerlens Noel has to be our pick if he is there.. His defensive potential is scary good.. Gunna bulk up in a couple years and dominate the defensive end if the floor for years to come.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kyridiculous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 872 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kyridiculous View Post
    Nerlens Noel has to be our pick if he is there.. His defensive potential is scary good.. Gunna bulk up in a couple years and dominate the defensive end if the floor for years to come.
    The shot blocking is def. there from day 1. I think he has a tough time at first with more physical players, until he has a year -2 to build up his upper body. I am not sure you are getting anything but dunks in the paint on offense though. I could see him as best case developing into a Chandler/ Ben Wallace mix, but i think it will take a bit longer then some realize due to the 2-3 years he will need to work on his body to catch up to NBA bigs.

I would actually prefer Len, I think he will develop into a 17 and 10 guy by his third year in the NBA. Right now he is not a focal point of the Maryland offense (some of it is his fault for not being greedy) and he gets almost no easy baskets, because their guards are not good enough to break up a defense. He has a nice jumper 10-15 feet out, and has very good hands. I think he would develop even quicker here with the ability to play with Irving and TT. Irving for obvious reasons, but TT because they would compliment each other so well. I would bet a large sum that if the Cavs had the 1st pick today they would take Len.

My biggest question is that if both Len and Noel are off the board, (very good chance both are taken in the top 3-4 picks) do they still try to fill the center position with Austin or do they value Mclemore and Muhammad high enough to pass on Austin, even though there are very strong indications they want to get a Center with the 1st pick? The more we see of the TT, the higher probability I think Bennett is not in their plans.

What we need to factor in i,s we have a lot of home games coming up in the next 4-6 weeks and a schedule that lessens a bit, and we have improved from November. We may very well be looking at guys like Porter, Goodwin and Pytheress as our BPA when we pick. That is a conversation this thread needs into be ready to ready to go down... if we continue to win more games.

My question to the board... How high is the drop of between Muhammad/Mclemore and Goodwin? Interested to hear your takes!
    Last edited by ajz20; 01-28-2013 at 05:34 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper pinoycavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

i might get a lot of flak for this; but, would it be wise for the cavs to trade one of waiters, zeller, thompson for an unprotected 2013 lottery pick?

i've read that the bobcats are contemplating to trade their 2013 1st round pick.

cavs give a young player with known upside for a chance to draft high again on the next year's draft; bobcats get a sure-fire talent in return.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinoycavsfan View Post
    i might get a lot of flak for this; but, would it be wise for the cavs to trade one of waiters, zeller, thompson for an unprotected 2013 lottery pick?

i've read that the bobcats are contemplating to trade their 2013 1st round pick.

cavs give a young player with known upside for a chance to draft high again on the next year's draft; bobcats get a sure-fire talent in return.
    I'd trade Dion for a 1st....we need Thompson and Zeller
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,694 Times in 1,628 Posts

I'm not willing to give up on Waiters just yet. This past month has shown why the Cavs drafted him. He's not perfect but he's shown enough that I want to see what he brings next season when hopefully, he's playing next to real NBA players who can space the floor for him.
    Questions or Problems? Text me at (216) 395-4RCF

13. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,572 Times in 3,188 Posts

If we could trade Zeller for an unprotected lottery pick this year, I'm pretty sure it will be done. I like Zeller, but we drafted him out of the lottery and would more than likely be able to draft someone better than him with a lottery pick. That said, another team would be really stupid to do this, so I don't see it happening.

The thing is, why give up Waiters or Thompson for an uncertain pick? Thompson is finally showing what he is capable of doing and playing great, consistent basketball. Dion is still wildly inconsistent, but he's shown why he was drafted so high. There's no guarantee that anyone we pick in this draft would be any better than what we already have, so why gamble like that?

Thanks

You answered your question. Why would we trade "a sure-fire talent" for the Bobcats "unknown" 2013 1st Pick?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 769 Posts

I'll trade Waiters for a better shooter in Mclemore. That kid's shot is really Ray Allen-like. I also helps that he is insanely athletic.
    When in doubt, step up the defense

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mAo_mAo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LNance View Post
    You answered your question. Why would we trade "a sure-fire talent" for the Bobcats "unknown" 2013 1st Pick?
    potential..

potentially, mclemore/muhammad + len/noel is better than waiters+zeller/thompson.. the thing is, it is a big gamble for the cavs giving up a young prospect just to get better odds with the lottery... but i think the cavs is capable of that gamble because they already have a budding star in kyrie..

with the way the league is being played, it is necessary to have 2 stars in a team to win and get to the playoffs, we have 1 in kyrie but i dont see anything close with waiters, thompson, and zeller.. at best, they are just good rotational players.. they have to find that other star and giving up a good player for one is a win-win situation..

it's not like we're missing out a ton if we let go one of these players because the potential payout is great..

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,572 Times in 3,188 Posts

potential..

potentially, mclemore/muhammad + len/noel is better than waiters+zeller/thompson.. the thing is, it is a big gamble for the cavs giving up a young prospect just to get better odds with the lottery... but i think the cavs is capable of that gamble because they already have a budding star in kyrie..

with the way the league is being played, it is necessary to have 2 stars in a team to win and get to the playoffs, we have 1 in kyrie but i dont see anything close with waiters, thompson, and zeller.. at best, they are just good rotational players.. they have to find that other star and giving up a good player for one is a win-win situation..

it's not like we're missing out a ton if we let go one of these players because the potential payout is great..
    But potentially Waiters/Thompson/Noel/Zeller is way better than what you suggested.

In no way right now do I trade Waiters or Thompson in a deal for anything other than a sure-fire star player, and this draft just doesn't have any. Really, the only way I can see either of those guys being dealt is in a steal for a player who is already in the league and a star.

Thanks

I don't think people understand why the Cavs drafted Waiters and why I'm so thrilled to have a guy like him. We saw it in the Lebron era. All the Cavs did was try to surround him with shooters. The Cavs had absolutely no one who could break a defense down off the dribble besides Lebron. That became a huge problem when Lebron was either out of the game or the defense was taking his drive away. I think that's one of the primary reasons the Cavs also passed on Barnes. His lack of a driving ability would have made him just another catch and shoot guy.

With Waiters and Irving, the Cavs have 2 naturally gifted guys who can break down the defense. Now a player like Barnes/Shabazz would be a perfect fit at SF. McLemore may be a dynamite athlete and have gorgeous shot mechanics, but he isn't gifted in getting to the rim like Dion. Could he become an elite slasher? I don't know. It seems to me like you are born with the change of pace, handles, and moves to beat people off the dribble.

So I don't think the Cavs can trade Waiters. They need a player like him. I'm a believer that either Kyrie or Dion need to be on the court at all-times. Kyrie and Dion on the court right now do a lot of deferring to each other - lots of standing around when one or the other has the ball. But give Waiters an offseason and you can bet he will be working on his 3 point consistency and finishing inside. People are expecting too much from the rookie. If he can simply become a better shooter in the offseason, or even a better finisher, he is fully capable of scoring 20 ppg in his 2nd season and being a long-term solution at SG.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Be Nimble For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Be Nimble View Post
    I don't think people understand why the Cavs drafted Waiters and why I'm so thrilled to have a guy like him. We saw it in the Lebron era. All the Cavs did was try to surround him with shooters. The Cavs had absolutely no one who could break a defense down off the dribble besides Lebron. That became a huge problem when Lebron was either out of the game or the defense was taking his drive away. I think that's one of the primary reasons the Cavs also passed on Barnes. His lack of a driving ability would have made him just another catch and shoot guy.

With Waiters and Irving, the Cavs have 2 naturally gifted guys who can break down the defense. Now a player like Barnes/Shabazz would be a perfect fit at SF. McLemore may be a dynamite athlete and have gorgeous shot mechanics, but he isn't gifted in getting to the rim like Dion. Could he become an elite slasher? I don't know. It seems to be like you are born with the change of pace, handles, and moves to beat people off the dribble.

So I don't think the Cavs can trade Waiters. They need a player like him. I'm a believer that either Kyrie or Dion need to be on the court at all-times. Kyrie and Dion on the court right now do a lot of deferring to each other - lots of standing around when one or the other has the ball. But give Waiters an offseason and you can bet he will be working on his 3 point consistency and finishing inside. People are expecting too much from the rookie. If he can simply become a better shooter in the offseason, or even a better finisher, he is fully capable of scoring 20 ppg in his 2nd season and being a long-term solution at SG.
    i think we overrate the ability to "breakdown the defense".. in a team, you dont need 2 players in a court together that can cross his man and drive to the hoop because it destroys the offensive balance.. what a good team needs is a slasher, a post player, a shooter, a defensive player, and a facilitator.. having 2 guys that can "breakdown" their man is bad for a team because it hinders good ball movement because these kind of players need the ball in their hands.. when one guy drives the defense is sucked in and when you pass it to another guy who drives, the defense just stays where they are; but if the floor is spaced with a shooter or a post threat, the defense struggles to keep up..

one thing why the cavs are successful with lebron is that he was surrounded with shooters that spread the floor..

that is why, i believe, that kyrie and dion struggles to play together because they need the ball to be effective.. it freezes one of them if the other has a good game..

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pinoycavsfan For This Useful Post: