View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 108 of 576 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RchfldCavRaised View Post
    Even more than measurements, is how the player uses the size he has. .

Ludicrous Speed

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,555 Posts

You have to understand that size/undersized in terms of basketball is not entirely related to measurements.

In the same way production and winning is not entirely relative to stats.

Even more than measurements, is how the player uses the size he has. Tristan is a crouching tiger hidden defender type of big. He has to charge to jump but then when he charges, he can jump through the sky. However, that makes him small when he is going against quick twitch jumpers and guys who have just as much measured length but are quicker leapers/have quicker jump shot releases.

Its the reason when I watched TT vs Ed Davis, Davis had the upper hand. TT vs Javelle McGee was all in McGee's favor even though he only scored like 9 and did not play much (probably in Karls doghouse, not to mention Kosta Koufus was killing us).

Tristan plays much more like a Kurt Thomas, with the ability to get bouncy when he has the time to coordinate his jump.

That makes him undersized when facing pfs like Aldridge, Dirk, even Faried who are either quicker leapers or have really difficult to guard release points.

He plays undersized. Just like Waiters does for the 2. Now that I think about it... I dont see a player on our team who does not play small like this. I wonder if that is being taught by Scott and his staff. Shit worked in the 80's but players are faster, stronger and some like Dirk are just as skilled to make tough shots with little defenders on them.

Hmmmm...
    I don't ever hear the term "undersized" used in that way, and, if someone is using it in that way, they're stupid because there are about a million different ways that one could say that they don't use their body to their potential that would not mislead one to think that they're actually talking about their size. It just doesn't make sense. Playing like you're undersized and actually being undersized are not the same thing, and their different terminologies shouldn't be used interchangeably.
    Last edited by Free Agency God; 02-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,706 Times in 1,576 Posts

After seeing this defensive performance tonight and over the course of the season, I really would like a core piece of this team to have a strong defensive presence and give a damn down-low.. Not that Thompson doesn't but he doesn't command the paint defensively but is rather a good individual defender and good rebounder... I want to see someone who plays physical down-low and makes his presence known defensively, and holds others accountable..

Thus my want for Noel just rose some and my wanting to like Zeller or Austin is increasingly waning...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Can Nerlens Noel be the one to solve all of our defensive woes? If so, sign me up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDrew View Post
    Can Nerlens Noel be the one to solve all of our defensive woes? If so, sign me up.
    Not all, but the kid can be very impactful on D. I'm tired of Zeller playing like a pussy, he is 7 feet but his arms are short and he is weak. Noel is extemely long, can cover a lot of ground and would at least make people think twice about driving to the rim.

Thanks

He plays undersized. Just like Waiters does for the 2. Now that I think about it... I dont see a player on our team who does not play small like this. I wonder if that is being taught by Scott and his staff. Shit worked in the 80's but players are faster, stronger and some like Dirk are just as skilled to make tough shots with little defenders on them.

Hmmmm...
    I don't think I can really agree with this. IMO this applies to players like Derrick Williams and not TT. Zeller is a good example too. Tristan plays tougher in the paint and I think he has done a good job defending even bigger players like Garnett who he gives up a lot of size to. I dont know much about his jumping or how that makes him play smaller... but I still think its a stretch to call him undersized.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    but he will put up 10-12 a night EASY off lobs and putbacks.
    The problem is... those are already Thompson's points.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    If only there was a center in the draft who has a better offensive game than Noel and more of a physical presence than Zeller.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuggles For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

For those that want a defensive presence in the middle, don't forget Rudy Gobert. He's even longer than Noel, but isn't nearly as quick or athletic. He does appear to have a slightly better offensive game, and will, most likely, be available with a potential Lakers pick.

I've been firmly on the "need an offensive post threat" bandwagon for a very long time. Alex Len has been my #1 prospect for awhile because of this. I'm slowly coming to the realization that we need a rim protector. It would be ideal if an offensive threat and rim protector came in the same package, but, as long and active as Len is, he isn't quite that great on defense and Noel isn't a threat to do anything on offense besides tip-ins and lobs.

I also really like what Wayne Ellington and CJ Miles bring as deep threats, but the Cavaliers can use another guy, or two, for that as well. That's why Sergey Karasev is also on my wish list. He's a 6'8" SF/SG from Russia that isn't a freak athlete, but plays smart, shoots well and is active. I liken him to a slightly smaller Dano Gallinari with a better jumpshot. Perhaps a hybrid of Alexey Shved and Gallinari. He's also only 19 right now and IF he comes out, he'll need to be picked with a potential Laker pick by the time the draft comes around. I also REALLY like the idea of Nate Wolters with one of the 2nd round picks (assuming we keep them).

All that said, my dream draft (assuming we keep all 4 picks) is a toss-up between:
    a)Nerlens Noel, Sergey Karasev, Nate Wolters, Carrick Felix
    b)Shabazz Muhammad, Rudy Gobert, Nate Wolters, Carrick Felix
    c)Alex Len, Sergey Karasev, Nate Wolters, Carrick Felix (3 white guys--I know some of you will be upset about that)

I can't decide.

I think Steven Adams will still be the best of both worlds (offensively and defensively) at the center position, I just don't think he's coming out in 2013. I'm REALLY hoping he decides to, though, and he falls hard (DeAndre Jordan, hard) and the Cavaliers can scoop him up with a 2nd round pick and spend a year, or two, just grooming him. He strikes me as a kid that just needs to be coached. Get Z working with him and give him some confidence/instruction and I really think he can be the best center in the NBA.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to adam81king For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    Then you haven't been watching the Cavs lately.....

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggles View Post
    If only there was a center in the draft who has a better offensive game than Noel and more of a physical presence than Zeller.

Then I have the question, what is offense? Alex takes more shots I think because he's the focal point of their offense more. I don't know if you can argue he scores more efficiently than Noel. I only have basic stats in front of me, but Noel takes 2 fewer shots and has a 3-4% edge in fg%. Noel has more top players on his team to share with, so he may get more open looks. But he's still shooting less in more time. There is efficiency there. It seems hard to compare their offense because their strengths on offense are different. Len more crafty with the ball around the basket in the half court. Noel more likely to run through a space for a layup or catch a high alley oop over some poor soul's head like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQUXdzUmgHc

They're nearly opposite players, aren't they? So working on their weaknesses will make them more alike? Is Len as likely to get more mobile and athletic as Nerlins Noel is likely to get skilled with the ball around the basket?

Tristan's starting to cross the spectrum towards skilled to add to his athleticism. Me likey the results so far, and what they point to. And on an off night offensively, he'll always have his defense.

Makes Noel seem like the choice with the higher ceiling. Len can get even smarter around the basket. But can he some day play above the rim, or get up out in front on a turnover? Run with the team? I don't know how important that will be in the future. If we had to choose a guy we knew would be a legit C, which end of the spectrum would you prefer that C be on if you had no certainty they'd ever even reach the middle?

For me, right now, that's Noel. Keeping up with the team up and down the court need not be an issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fuggles View Post

Len is still living off the season opening game against Kentucky. What's he done since then?

I know his guards aren't very good at getting him the ball, but it's not like Nerlens is playing with some great facilitator either.

I'm not saying Len isn't a good player, just that he's not nearly on Nerlens level as a prospect.
    Last edited by D-Wreck; 02-02-2013 at 07:07 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-Wreck For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,747 Times in 2,035 Posts

Watching Steven Adams.

He is a strong inside presence. I saw him earlier in the year and I wasnt impressed, but it looks like the game is slowing down for him a little now. Reminds me of Myers Leonard.

I thnk he will stay, but if he actually came out, he would be there mid/late first like Melo was last year.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,747 Times in 2,035 Posts

In the 3 Cuse games Ive watched this year, everytime I see more Larry Hughes than Penny Hardaway in MCW.

Every game the announcers are making excuses for why MCW is scoring more than initiating an offense.

Im not as impressed as others are. Austin Rivers looked just as good last year in the same role. He has better size but the same frame.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Watching Steven Adams.

He is a strong inside presence. I saw him earlier in the year and I wasnt impressed, but it looks like the game is slowing down for him a little now. Reminds me of Myers Leonard.

I thnk he will stay, but if he actually came out, he would be there mid/late first like Melo was last year.
    Maybe I'll give him another chance. I watched him earlier in the year, and he looked so incredibly raw to the point that he could barely catch and finish without tripping over his own feet. Haven't watched another Pitt game since.

edit: Just turned on the game and saw Adams pull off an impressive catch and finish. From that move alone I can tell he's already much improved from the beginning in the season.
    Last edited by howler1313; 02-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post: