View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 112 of 576 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 1,666 to 1,680 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Sawduzt View Post
    I spent about an hour looking for footage on youtube of noel making a jump shot. no luck,how can the coaches at his prep school (tilton?) not get him at least a servicable shot? its what separates him from Anthony Davis.
    Well, I'm sure they've worked with him on a jumper for years but he's a physical freak who can get by with his sheer athleticism, especially at the HS level..... Not to mention the fact that he's nearly 7 feet tall and coordination and muscle memory is usually the last thing to come in a massive growth spurt; key components to a consistent shot....

With your argument, why doesn't every NBA player have a serviceable jump shot?

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shack View Post
    I don't trust Oladipo learning how to shoot in his 3rd college season, first of all his volume is small (he's 19 for 37 from 3 on the year) and secondly his FT shooting got WORSE compared to last year. If the light just went on for someone's shooting mechanics I'd hope their FT stroke indicates a change. Porter's huge leap in 3pt shooting worries me for the same reason, make a 24% leap upwards in 3pt shooting while the FT stroke stays at a poor < 71%, would concern me.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MGMT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by howler1313 View Post
    Jesus, I know that's a normal kid who probably won't play college ball, but damn the kid caught the ball 2 steps away from the rim while Noel was just past halfcourt and he still blocked it. Just goes to show how these major nba prospects are on a different level athletically compared to the rest of us.
    Speak for yourself. Being deluded is fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STAT View Post
    Speak for yourself. Being on dilaudid is fun.
    Fixed.

...Kidding.

...Kinda.

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,035 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narbar32 View Post
    That's a great comparison.

I always seem to latch onto these types of prospects during the season -- the super athletic, relatively unskilled, defensively scary wings. Though each an inch or so shorter than Victor, Travis Leslie in 2011 and Paul Harris out of Syracuse a few years back are the two guys off the top of my head that I really wanted the Cavs to pick up in the second round, if available, for similar reasons. I haven't heard much about Leslie since that draft and I know Paul Harris went undrafted his year, but I still keep falling for these types of bros. I think (hope), Oladipo might not be as completely unskilled coming out as those two guys, though.
    Paul Harris was like Shannon Brown Jr for me. Didnt he sign with out Summer League team and back out last minute?

My affinity is for bigs. The more the season wears on, I see their development happen and I start thinking the sky is the limit. I really wish the NBA would move the age limit back to 21. So many prospects show potential and then they get lost in the business.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RchfldCavRaised View Post
    In Victor Oladipo, I see ALOT of Romain Sato from Xavier like a decade ago. Super athletic lanky 2 guard who cant dribble but can jump out the gym. Oladipo has ridiculous D. But I want him as much as I wanted MKG last year. He is wreckless and thats cool and helps him when offensive players dont want to attack him, but it doesnt bode well long term.
    Don't remember this guy. But he couldn't shoot all that well: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...ason=2003-2004

Oladipo is proving he can shoot the ball this year. It may be a fluke, but it is a season long fluke at very very high percentages.
    http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...victor-oladipo

Thanks
    Thanked 25,084 Times in 1,896 Posts

Z's at the Syracuse/Notre Dame game doing some scouting as we speak.
    Questions or Problems? Text me at (216) 395-4RCF
    I'm currently really busy so I can't answer every PM sent. If it something really important that will effect RCF please PM any Mod or Admin

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RchfldCavRaised View Post
    Paul Harris was like Shannon Brown Jr for me. Didnt he sign with out Summer League team and back out last minute?

My affinity is for bigs. The more the season wears on, I see their development happen and I start thinking the sky is the limit. I really wish the NBA would move the age limit back to 21. So many prospects show potential and then they get lost in the business.
    See, the reason they won't move the age limit back is because all the awful lottery teams at that particular time won't agree with it since they wouldn't be getting the elite prospects for at least another two years. Maybe they could have a normal draft for 2 years, then have a weighted draft (cumulative record over the last 3 seasons) for that first draft when all the elite high schoolers reach 21?

Thanks

Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...n-best-big-men

The nation's best big men

Ranking the best bigs from college, NBA perspectives

Updated: February 4, 2013, 11:18 AM ET

By Jay Bilas and Chad Ford | ESPN Insider

Cody Zeller, Mike Muscala and Nerlens Noel are among the top big men in college basketball.

During college hoops season, Jay Bilas and Chad Ford will start the week by addressing a big question, evaluating NBA prospects on the rise and looking ahead to the next week.

The discussion: Who are the best big men in the nation?

Jay Bilas: I consider a big man to be one who can play and guard the pivot, not necessarily a face-up 4 or an inside-out forward such as Doug McDermott of Creighton, Anthony Bennett of UNLV, Ryan Kelly of Duke or Kenny Kadji of Miami. I am talking more about a center or a 5 who can score and guard in the post, and is the man in the middle.

The one player I had trouble leaving off of this list is Nerlens Noel of Kentucky, who is as good as any big man as a shot-blocker, rebounder and energy guy, but does not have a reliable post game or an offensive skill set beyond playing off of penetration, rim runs and offensive rebounding. Another player I considered was Louisville center Gorgui Dieng, who is an outstanding shot-blocker and rebounder (leading the Big East in rebounding) but is not yet the offensive player that these other players are.

Of mid-major bigs, I went back and forth on the inclusion of Akron's Zeke Marshall, a skilled and efficient 7-footer who shoots better than 70 percent from the field, but he's not a high-volume rebounder, averaging 6.8 rebounds per game.

5. Mike Muscala, Bucknell Bison

Muscala is not a big-time athlete, but he does a great job of blocking shots, rebounding at a high rate and scoring facing up or with his back to the basket. Muscala averages 19 points, 11.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks while shooting better than 52 percent from the field and 78 percent from the line on 7.1 free throw attempts per game. Muscala makes Bucknell a real threat in the NCAA tournament because he can score and guard in the post.

4. Mason Plumlee, Duke Blue Devils

Plumlee has come a long way as an offensive player, and has matured into a legitimate star on the college level. He's an outstanding athlete who can really change ends and get off the floor with quickness and power. Plumlee has improved his production in every single category, and has done it with more defensive attention on him. Plumlee averages 18 points and 10.8 rebounds per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 64 percent from the line, the latter of which is a major improvement. Plumlee is a good passer, has developed a much better feel in the post and has proved to be a reliable scorer.

3. Jeff Withey, Kansas Jayhawks

Withey's worth as a player comes from neither his 13 points per game nor 8.3 rebounds per game, but rather his ability to block and change shots. Withey blocks 4.2 shots per game, and changes much more than that. Withey's blocks stay in bounds and allow his team to take the ball the other way and turn defense into offense. Also, Withey protects the rim and can still score in the post and make free throws. Noel of Kentucky is a superior athlete and prospect, but right now Withey is the better all-around player.

Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk leads the 21-2 Bulldogs in scoring, rebounds and blocks.

2. Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga Bulldogs

The big man came to Gonzaga as a skilled face-up shooter, and after a redshirt season has transformed into one of the most efficient back-to-the-basket scorers in the country. Olynyk is averaging 18 points, 7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks while shooting 64 percent from the field and 78 percent from the line in just 25 minutes per game. Olynyk is not a great athlete, but he's a player who has a great feel for the game, knows how to play and knows how to use his body.

1. Cody Zeller, Indiana Hoosiers

The super-skilled Hoosier is the best runner among bigs in the college game, and he can really change ends and run the floor. His speed in transition drags the defense and opens up things for others, and his productivity and efficiency are truly outstanding. Zeller is an intelligent and alert help defender who, while not a double-figure rebounder, does a great job on the offensive glass and can pass, block a shot and use his quickness and anticipation to get steals. Zeller needs to get stronger -- especially on finishing opportunities near the basket -- but his ability to drive the ball and make plays sets him apart. Zeller averages 16.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 74 percent from the line. He is all about winning and being a great teammate.

Chad Ford: I'll start this the same way I started our discussion on the best point guard in the country: It depends on what you mean by "best."

If you are talking about the best big man in college basketball right now, I'd have to go with Indiana's Zeller, especially after that awesome performance against Michigan on Saturday. Zeller, who was coming off two subpar games against Penn State and Michigan State, was outstanding against the Wolverines, scoring 19 points, grabbing 10 boards and blocking two shots on 8-for-10 shooting. He showed off his versatility hitting step backs, putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim and flushing home a number of dunks off of offensive rebounds. But the top play of the game was his hustle play to recover a loose ball with 1:45 left that sealed the deal for Indiana.

Zeller played with extraordinary energy and toughness against Michigan. When he plays like that, there isn't a better offensive big man in the country. He doesn't give that effort every night, but he does it enough that it's hard to argue that anyone else in college basketball is obviously better.

His main competition, to me, is Bucknell's Muscala, Gonzaga's Olynyk, Duke's Plumlee and Kansas' Withey. All are having terrific seasons and could hear their names called in the first round of this year's draft. Florida's Erik Murphy and Duke's Kelly would get honorable mention as stretch 4s having great seasons.

But if the question is getting at which player has the best NBA future, it gets a little more complicated. Zeller is still in the mix; while scouts have been cooling on Zeller a bit thanks to some less-than-inspired play in January and serious questions about how he fits at the next level, the NBA interest is still obviously there. He sits at No. 7 on our Big Board and obviously could go a few spots higher than that.

There are two other college big men, however, who are getting even stronger looks from NBA scouts and GMs.

Kentucky's Noel is the best defensive big man in the country and many scouts feel he's the best long-term prospect in the draft, period. The public perception has been that Noel has been a bit of a disappointment thanks in large part to his 10.6 points per game scoring average. But virtually every NBA executive I've spoken with hasn't been particularly fazed by that. Noel is raw offensively and Kentucky just doesn't run many plays for him.

But Noel has been outstanding in virtually every other statistical category. He's averaging 9.5 rebounds, 4.6 blocks and a remarkable 2.3 steals per game while shooting 59 percent from the field. He rarely gets into foul trouble and even when he does, he has found a way to stay on the floor and still be a defensive presence. He also has proved to be an adept passer, plays with terrific energy and has been willing to do everything that John Calipari has asked him to.

Maybe most important, he's getting better. Over the past few weeks, Noel has been the best player on Kentucky's roster and a huge reason the team has won five of its past six games. He has sat at No. 1 on our Big Board all season and with his recent play, doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

His main competition is Maryland's Alex Len. Len is a much more polished offensive player than Noel who can score with his back to the basket and can step out and shoot the jumper. He's also several inches taller than Noel and a good rebounder and shot-blocker in his own right. Like Noel, his numbers can be misleading. His guards rarely feed him the ball or run plays for him. Len isn't the athlete that Noel is -- if he was, he'd probably be No. 1 on the Big Board. Regardless, scouts see him as a likely top-five pick come draft night.

Plumlee is the other big man who is a likely lottery pick. Withey, Olynyk, Willie Cauley-Stein and Steven Adams are potential first-round picks as well.

Prospect on the rise

Ford: Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State Cowboys

Marcus Smart is averaging 14.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the Cowboys.

This is the second time I've featured Smart in this spot. The first time was Nov. 19 after he dissected Lorenzo Brown and NC State. At that time, it looked clear that Smart was going to be a potential lottery pick in this year's draft.

This time, the bump happens after a stellar performance against Kansas on Saturday in which Smart had 25 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 5 steals in a huge win on the road. Smart was terrific all game, but was huge in the final two minutes while Oklahoma State clung to a five-point lead, posting 9 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals (including a huge strip of Elijah Johnson with four seconds left) and an assist to Phil Forte for the game-sealing bucket.

Two games don't determine a player's draft status, but big games do emphasize to scouts what players are capable of when the stakes are high. Smart has the NBA body, athletic ability, leadership skills, defensive prowess and intangibles that scouts love in point guards. He's still a work in progress. His jump shot needs work and he is prone to turn over the ball.

But with Michael Carter-Williams struggling a bit in Big East play, Smart has moved into the pole position as the top point guard in the draft and a possible top-six pick.

Bilas: Erick Green, G, Virginia Tech Hokies

The 6-foot-3 senior guard is having a special season. Despite the difficulty his young team has in providing him with help, Green is dynamic in the open floor and can create his own shot. He uses his body well and can get to the foul line, shooting 8.3 free throws per game. Overall, Green averages 25 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals per contest while shooting 49 percent from the field and 82 percent from the line. Green is terrific off of screen/roll situations, is an excellent pull-up jump-shooter in half-court situations and can be truly outstanding in transition. Green is more than just a hungry player putting up good numbers on a bad team -- he can play.

What to watch for this week

Bilas: I'm looking forward to a big week in the Big Ten. On Tuesday, Michigan hosts Ohio State, one of two teams to clip the Wolverines on the road, then goes on the road to take on Wisconsin. Indiana plays at Illinois and at Ohio State this week, which will be a real test of the Hoosiers' maturity and ability to concentrate on the road. Michigan State takes on Minnesota, an outstanding offensive rebounding team, and then plays rival Purdue on the road. Minnesota, who got past Iowa on Sunday, takes on Michigan State at the Breslin Center and Illinois at The Barn. Minnesota has won two straight after losing four in a row.

In the Missouri Valley, Indiana State hosts Creighton and Doug McDermott. The Sycamores have a very good team and have put together one of the best mid-major résumés in the country. Indiana State is 14-8 and has played seven games against teams in the BPI Top 50, winning three and losing four. The Sycamores are led by Jake Odum and Gonzaga transfer Manny Arop (while Gonzaga transfer Grant Gibbs stars for Creighton). Indiana State is a very good team that can cause a lot of problems.

DeShaun Thomas and Ohio State have a tough stretch of games this week.

Ford: The Michigan-Indiana game was the best game of the season. Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mitch McGary all came out of the game with high praise from NBA scouts. Freshmen Glenn Robinson III and Nik Stauskas struggled, and both have something to prove.

There's going to be no time to let their hair down as both teams have a brutal stretch ahead of them this week. Michigan plays Ohio State at home on Tuesday followed by a road game against Wisconsin on Saturday. Indiana has a tough road game against Illinois on Thursday followed by another tough road game against Ohio State on Sunday. Poor Ohio State; playing Michigan and Indiana in the same week won't be easy.

The other big game I'm looking forward to is NC State at Duke on Thursday. At times the Wolfpack have looked like a team that could go to the Final Four. At other times they have really struggled. C.J. Leslie is playing great right now. NC State always seems to get up for big games, and after knocking off Duke once this season, the Wolfpack really need another big win.
    "I have missed over 9,000 shots, lost over 300 games. I have been trusted to take the game-winning shot 26 times, and missed. And that is why I succeed." -- Michael Jordan

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MVP_Eric_10 For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MVP_Eric_10 View Post
    Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...n-best-big-men

The nation's best big men

Ranking the best bigs from college, NBA perspectives

Updated: February 4, 2013, 11:18 AM ET

By Jay Bilas and Chad Ford | ESPN Insider

Cody Zeller, Mike Muscala and Nerlens Noel are among the top big men in college basketball.

During college hoops season, Jay Bilas and Chad Ford will start the week by addressing a big question, evaluating NBA prospects on the rise and looking ahead to the next week.

The discussion: Who are the best big men in the nation?

Jay Bilas: I consider a big man to be one who can play and guard the pivot, not necessarily a face-up 4 or an inside-out forward such as Doug McDermott of Creighton, Anthony Bennett of UNLV, Ryan Kelly of Duke or Kenny Kadji of Miami. I am talking more about a center or a 5 who can score and guard in the post, and is the man in the middle.

The one player I had trouble leaving off of this list is Nerlens Noel of Kentucky, who is as good as any big man as a shot-blocker, rebounder and energy guy, but does not have a reliable post game or an offensive skill set beyond playing off of penetration, rim runs and offensive rebounding. Another player I considered was Louisville center Gorgui Dieng, who is an outstanding shot-blocker and rebounder (leading the Big East in rebounding) but is not yet the offensive player that these other players are.

Of mid-major bigs, I went back and forth on the inclusion of Akron's Zeke Marshall, a skilled and efficient 7-footer who shoots better than 70 percent from the field, but he's not a high-volume rebounder, averaging 6.8 rebounds per game.

5. Mike Muscala, Bucknell Bison

Muscala is not a big-time athlete, but he does a great job of blocking shots, rebounding at a high rate and scoring facing up or with his back to the basket. Muscala averages 19 points, 11.5 rebounds and 2.8 blocks while shooting better than 52 percent from the field and 78 percent from the line on 7.1 free throw attempts per game. Muscala makes Bucknell a real threat in the NCAA tournament because he can score and guard in the post.

4. Mason Plumlee, Duke Blue Devils

Plumlee has come a long way as an offensive player, and has matured into a legitimate star on the college level. He's an outstanding athlete who can really change ends and get off the floor with quickness and power. Plumlee has improved his production in every single category, and has done it with more defensive attention on him. Plumlee averages 18 points and 10.8 rebounds per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 64 percent from the line, the latter of which is a major improvement. Plumlee is a good passer, has developed a much better feel in the post and has proved to be a reliable scorer.

3. Jeff Withey, Kansas Jayhawks

Withey's worth as a player comes from neither his 13 points per game nor 8.3 rebounds per game, but rather his ability to block and change shots. Withey blocks 4.2 shots per game, and changes much more than that. Withey's blocks stay in bounds and allow his team to take the ball the other way and turn defense into offense. Also, Withey protects the rim and can still score in the post and make free throws. Noel of Kentucky is a superior athlete and prospect, but right now Withey is the better all-around player.

Gonzaga's Kelly Olynyk leads the 21-2 Bulldogs in scoring, rebounds and blocks.

2. Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga Bulldogs

The big man came to Gonzaga as a skilled face-up shooter, and after a redshirt season has transformed into one of the most efficient back-to-the-basket scorers in the country. Olynyk is averaging 18 points, 7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks while shooting 64 percent from the field and 78 percent from the line in just 25 minutes per game. Olynyk is not a great athlete, but he's a player who has a great feel for the game, knows how to play and knows how to use his body.

1. Cody Zeller, Indiana Hoosiers

The super-skilled Hoosier is the best runner among bigs in the college game, and he can really change ends and run the floor. His speed in transition drags the defense and opens up things for others, and his productivity and efficiency are truly outstanding. Zeller is an intelligent and alert help defender who, while not a double-figure rebounder, does a great job on the offensive glass and can pass, block a shot and use his quickness and anticipation to get steals. Zeller needs to get stronger -- especially on finishing opportunities near the basket -- but his ability to drive the ball and make plays sets him apart. Zeller averages 16.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 60 percent from the field and 74 percent from the line. He is all about winning and being a great teammate.

Chad Ford: I'll start this the same way I started our discussion on the best point guard in the country: It depends on what you mean by "best."

If you are talking about the best big man in college basketball right now, I'd have to go with Indiana's Zeller, especially after that awesome performance against Michigan on Saturday. Zeller, who was coming off two subpar games against Penn State and Michigan State, was outstanding against the Wolverines, scoring 19 points, grabbing 10 boards and blocking two shots on 8-for-10 shooting. He showed off his versatility hitting step backs, putting the ball on the floor and getting to the rim and flushing home a number of dunks off of offensive rebounds. But the top play of the game was his hustle play to recover a loose ball with 1:45 left that sealed the deal for Indiana.

Zeller played with extraordinary energy and toughness against Michigan. When he plays like that, there isn't a better offensive big man in the country. He doesn't give that effort every night, but he does it enough that it's hard to argue that anyone else in college basketball is obviously better.

His main competition, to me, is Bucknell's Muscala, Gonzaga's Olynyk, Duke's Plumlee and Kansas' Withey. All are having terrific seasons and could hear their names called in the first round of this year's draft. Florida's Erik Murphy and Duke's Kelly would get honorable mention as stretch 4s having great seasons.

But if the question is getting at which player has the best NBA future, it gets a little more complicated. Zeller is still in the mix; while scouts have been cooling on Zeller a bit thanks to some less-than-inspired play in January and serious questions about how he fits at the next level, the NBA interest is still obviously there. He sits at No. 7 on our Big Board and obviously could go a few spots higher than that.

There are two other college big men, however, who are getting even stronger looks from NBA scouts and GMs.

Kentucky's Noel is the best defensive big man in the country and many scouts feel he's the best long-term prospect in the draft, period. The public perception has been that Noel has been a bit of a disappointment thanks in large part to his 10.6 points per game scoring average. But virtually every NBA executive I've spoken with hasn't been particularly fazed by that. Noel is raw offensively and Kentucky just doesn't run many plays for him.

But Noel has been outstanding in virtually every other statistical category. He's averaging 9.5 rebounds, 4.6 blocks and a remarkable 2.3 steals per game while shooting 59 percent from the field. He rarely gets into foul trouble and even when he does, he has found a way to stay on the floor and still be a defensive presence. He also has proved to be an adept passer, plays with terrific energy and has been willing to do everything that John Calipari has asked him to.

Maybe most important, he's getting better. Over the past few weeks, Noel has been the best player on Kentucky's roster and a huge reason the team has won five of its past six games. He has sat at No. 1 on our Big Board all season and with his recent play, doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

His main competition is Maryland's Alex Len. Len is a much more polished offensive player than Noel who can score with his back to the basket and can step out and shoot the jumper. He's also several inches taller than Noel and a good rebounder and shot-blocker in his own right. Like Noel, his numbers can be misleading. His guards rarely feed him the ball or run plays for him. Len isn't the athlete that Noel is -- if he was, he'd probably be No. 1 on the Big Board. Regardless, scouts see him as a likely top-five pick come draft night.

Plumlee is the other big man who is a likely lottery pick. Withey, Olynyk, Willie Cauley-Stein and Steven Adams are potential first-round picks as well.

Prospect on the rise

Ford: Marcus Smart, G, Oklahoma State Cowboys

Marcus Smart is averaging 14.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per game for the Cowboys.

This is the second time I've featured Smart in this spot. The first time was Nov. 19 after he dissected Lorenzo Brown and NC State. At that time, it looked clear that Smart was going to be a potential lottery pick in this year's draft.

This time, the bump happens after a stellar performance against Kansas on Saturday in which Smart had 25 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 5 steals in a huge win on the road. Smart was terrific all game, but was huge in the final two minutes while Oklahoma State clung to a five-point lead, posting 9 points, 3 rebounds, 2 steals (including a huge strip of Elijah Johnson with four seconds left) and an assist to Phil Forte for the game-sealing bucket.

Two games don't determine a player's draft status, but big games do emphasize to scouts what players are capable of when the stakes are high. Smart has the NBA body, athletic ability, leadership skills, defensive prowess and intangibles that scouts love in point guards. He's still a work in progress. His jump shot needs work and he is prone to turn over the ball.

But with Michael Carter-Williams struggling a bit in Big East play, Smart has moved into the pole position as the top point guard in the draft and a possible top-six pick.

Bilas: Erick Green, G, Virginia Tech Hokies

The 6-foot-3 senior guard is having a special season. Despite the difficulty his young team has in providing him with help, Green is dynamic in the open floor and can create his own shot. He uses his body well and can get to the foul line, shooting 8.3 free throws per game. Overall, Green averages 25 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.3 steals per contest while shooting 49 percent from the field and 82 percent from the line. Green is terrific off of screen/roll situations, is an excellent pull-up jump-shooter in half-court situations and can be truly outstanding in transition. Green is more than just a hungry player putting up good numbers on a bad team -- he can play.

What to watch for this week

Bilas: I'm looking forward to a big week in the Big Ten. On Tuesday, Michigan hosts Ohio State, one of two teams to clip the Wolverines on the road, then goes on the road to take on Wisconsin. Indiana plays at Illinois and at Ohio State this week, which will be a real test of the Hoosiers' maturity and ability to concentrate on the road. Michigan State takes on Minnesota, an outstanding offensive rebounding team, and then plays rival Purdue on the road. Minnesota, who got past Iowa on Sunday, takes on Michigan State at the Breslin Center and Illinois at The Barn. Minnesota has won two straight after losing four in a row.

In the Missouri Valley, Indiana State hosts Creighton and Doug McDermott. The Sycamores have a very good team and have put together one of the best mid-major résumés in the country. Indiana State is 14-8 and has played seven games against teams in the BPI Top 50, winning three and losing four. The Sycamores are led by Jake Odum and Gonzaga transfer Manny Arop (while Gonzaga transfer Grant Gibbs stars for Creighton). Indiana State is a very good team that can cause a lot of problems.

DeShaun Thomas and Ohio State have a tough stretch of games this week.

Ford: The Michigan-Indiana game was the best game of the season. Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Mitch McGary all came out of the game with high praise from NBA scouts. Freshmen Glenn Robinson III and Nik Stauskas struggled, and both have something to prove.

There's going to be no time to let their hair down as both teams have a brutal stretch ahead of them this week. Michigan plays Ohio State at home on Tuesday followed by a road game against Wisconsin on Saturday. Indiana has a tough road game against Illinois on Thursday followed by another tough road game against Ohio State on Sunday. Poor Ohio State; playing Michigan and Indiana in the same week won't be easy.

The other big game I'm looking forward to is NC State at Duke on Thursday. At times the Wolfpack have looked like a team that could go to the Final Four. At other times they have really struggled. C.J. Leslie is playing great right now. NC State always seems to get up for big games, and after knocking off Duke once this season, the Wolfpack really need another big win.

No mention of Alex Len?

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adam81king For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Victor Oladipo's most clear comparison: Tony Allen.

Similar size. Similar skill set. Similar lack of skills.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to adam81king For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adam81king View Post
    No mention of Alex Len?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdMonix11 For This Useful Post:

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1399 View Post
    Well, I'm sure they've worked with him on a jumper for years but he's a physical freak who can get by with his sheer athleticism, especially at the HS level..... Not to mention the fact that he's nearly 7 feet tall and coordination and muscle memory is usually the last thing to come in a massive growth spurt; key components to a consistent shot....

With your argument, why doesn't every NBA player have a serviceable jump shot?
    Exactly! preaching to the choir brother

Guardian of the Cavaliers Green Lantern's Avatar
    Thanks

I know it's obvious the Cavs need to get a 5 and have Zeller come off the bench..but man do they need to get a SF in a bad way.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Lantern For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,158 Times in 1,049 Posts

If we get the LA pick and dont take Noel with our pick, i'm intrigued by Kelly Olynyk from Gonzaga

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post: