View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 139 of 576 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Draftexpress says as of last monday the Cavs pick 4th, the Suns get the Lakers pick at 13 and the Cavs pick 28th, 33 and 34, going by that i would try to make a Tyler Zeller like trade with the 28th, 33rd and 34th picks and try to grab Utahs pick who is projected at 17th or 21st

going by Draftexpress the Cavs are projected to get
    4: Cody Zeller (would hate this pick) Pass on Alex Len, Isiah Austin, Anthony Bennett
    28th: Gourgi Deng (would like this pick) Pass on Lucas Nogueria, Patrick Young
    33rd: Jackie Carmichael (who?) Pass on Russ Smith, Andre Robertson, Doug McDermott
    34th: Phil Pressley (who?) Pass on DeShaun Thomas, Trevor Mbawkwe, Rodney Williams

if i had do pick with those 4 i would go
    4: Alex Len or Anthony Bennett
    28: Jeff Withey (i cheated by 1, projected to go 27)
    33: Doug McDermott
    34eshaun Thomas

if we could trade the last 3 picks for one of Utahs picks

17th is projected to be Trey Burke Pass on Kelly Olynyk, James McAdoo, BJ Young
    21st is projected to be Tony Mitchell Pass on Dario Saric, LeByran Nash, Sergey Karasev

lets say we get the same value as last year and get 4th and 17th, my picks would be Len or Bennett at 4, Tony Mitchell if he can play the 3 if not i would take the chance on CJ Leslie just because i really dont like anybody other then him thats not a big (see taking Len and Mitchell)

Thanks

Welcome to the board, but I wouldn't worry about anything Givony's putting out yet...he doesn't take needs into consideration until after the lottery

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Seiklis For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wreck View Post
    Yeah, but he can't rebound because he's white
    You've heard of Kevin Love?

Rebounding ability has little to do with athleticism (on the assumption that some are linking race and athleticism in this thread).

Getting back to Len, his rebounding has markedly improved this year over last year. He is averaging 8.0 rebounds per 26.6 minutes. This is a decent ratio, though certainly not great. I don't know much of anything about Maryland basketball and so can't speak to how his situation there is affecting his stats, but I really don't want a rebounding challenged big man. I don't think we have enough data on Len to know whether this is a potential problem area for him. As others have said, if he can't rebound now, he's not going to get good at it in the NBA.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kovanovich View Post
    You've heard of Kevin Love?

Rebounding ability has little to do with athleticism (on the assumption that some are linking race and athleticism in this thread).

Getting back to Len, his rebounding has markedly improved this year over last year. He is averaging 8.0 rebounds per 26.6 minutes. This is a decent ratio, though certainly not great. I don't know much of anything about Maryland basketball and so can't speak to how his situation there is affecting his stats, but I really don't want a rebounding challenged big man. I don't think we have enough data on Len to know whether this is a potential problem area for him. As others have said, if he can't rebound now, he's not going to get good at it in the NBA.
    I took it as D-Wreck just fucking around about the whole racism thing.

And everybody knows that racial stereotypes are a legitimate, accurate, and a necessary part of evaluating athletes. Sports: the last bastian of good old fashion racism.

And Len is one of those guys who I guess I could get myself excited about if we end up picking him. The only two guys that would definitely leave me stinging if we were to pick Len over them are McLemore and Bennett; sadly though, for me at least, I just can't see Grant targetting either of my two boys anyways. I like both of them better in terms of dynamic, game-changing potential, especially given how athletic most of the real contenders are these days, with the Spurs being a pretty obvious exception. And if Len is Duncan, sign me up. I definitely get much more of a Lopez/Z vibe from him, though, which isn't terrible, but doesn't thrill me, either.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narbar32 For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by narbar32 View Post
    I took it as D-Wreck just fucking around about the whole racism thing.

And everybody knows that racial stereotypes are a legitimate, accurate, and a necessary part of evaluating athletes. Sports: the last bastian of good old fashion racism.

And Len is one of those guys who I guess I could get myself excited about if we end up picking him. The only two guys that would definitely leave me stinging if we were to pick Len over them are McLemore and Bennett; sadly though, for me at least, I just can't see Grant targetting either of my two boys anyways. I like both of them better in terms of dynamic, game-changing potential, especially given how athletic most of the real contenders are these days, with the Spurs being a pretty obvious exception. And if Len is Duncan, sign me up. I definitely get much more of a Lopez/Z vibe from him, though, which isn't terrible, but doesn't thrill me, either.
    I like McLemore and Bennett too but don't necessarily see Grant drafting either of them based on the projects we currently have at their respective positions. The thing I like most about Len is that he complements TT really well, as well as our 1-2 guards. Deep down in my gut though, I think they take a chance on Nerlens if he's still available. In a draft with no for sure home runs, I see Grant swinging for the fences.....

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    I should have just been clear and said it. That's exactly my problem. He's Euro, he won't be a stud in the league.

It's not racist... it is what it is. By and large, black people are better than white people at basketball.
    So freaking what? We're not talking "by and large" -- we're talking about specific individuals who you can evaluate individually based on their skills/talent rather than skin color. I hate doing the "here's some good white guy" schtick, but your mentality would have a team drafting bypassing great white big men like Sabonis or Walton just because they were white. And there have been plenty of good white centers who might not have been at the level of those guys but were still good players. Smits, Laimbeer, Ilguaskas, Kaman, etc. And that's just the center position.
    Last edited by The Human Q-Tip; 02-18-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,616 Times in 9,758 Posts

Yeah, you gotta be specific. It's the non-Euro white bigs that are the problem. There's a pretty good amount of white Euros in the league that play good basketball. Obviously Dirk is one of the greatest ever. Of current guys, you've got Pau and Marc Gasol, AK47, Pekovic, Gortat, Vucevic. But white American bigs are almost always stiffs nowadays. Love and Lee would be the sole exceptions I can come up with off the top of my head.
    I am also known as Liberace.

Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

Banned
    Thanks

i think Len is what we all were hoping Valanciunas would have become at 20-21, a guy who put some weight on his frame, athletic, good footwork and developed a good jumpshot to 15-18 feet

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 539 Posts

Len reminds me a little bit of Roy Hibbert. The run really similarly and are both in that 7-2ish range. Their size is what separates them from the pack. I don't think Len or Hibbert are transcendent in their offensive games, but they're skilled enough to take advantage of their size. Both guys also play within themselves which is huge. I love that Hibbert has enough sense to move the basketball when he feels double teams and in general, plays very smart basketball.

I think Len is a pretty safe pick, in that, even if he doesn't turn into a perennial All-Star, he will have the floor of a good NBA player. If Mehmut Okor could carve out a successful NBA career, Len will be fine. I don't think it's the sexy pick, or one that will have fans gushing in excitement, but his game feels tailored to the NBA where they actively look to get post touches, rules prevent the lane being clogged, and the 24 second shot clock gives guys like Len the freedom to shoot 18 foot jump-shots versus maintaining the ball and working for better opportunities on a 35 second clock. Like most college teams, Maryland struggles to take advantage of Len's ability, but the college game isn't a great fit for a lot of NBA players.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmac91 View Post
    Len reminds me a little bit of Roy Hibbert. The run really similarly and are both in that 7-2ish range. Their size is what separates them from the pack. I don't think Len or Hibbert are transcendent in their offensive games, but they're skilled enough to take advantage of their size. Both guys also play within themselves which is huge. I love that Hibbert has enough sense to move the basketball when he feels double teams and in general, plays very smart basketball.

I think Len is a pretty safe pick, in that, even if he doesn't turn into a perennial All-Star, he will have the floor of a good NBA player. If Mehmut Okor could carve out a successful NBA career, Len will be fine. I don't think it's the sexy pick, or one that will have fans gushing in excitement, but his game feels tailored to the NBA where they actively look to get post touches, rules prevent the lane being clogged, and the 24 second shot clock gives guys like Len the freedom to shoot 18 foot jump-shots versus maintaining the ball and working for better opportunities on a 35 second clock. Like most college teams, Maryland struggles to take advantage of Len's ability, but the college game isn't a great fit for a lot of NBA players.
    Are you even kidding? Hibbert literally couldn't even run. It was reported he couldn't do 1 pushup coming out of college. Hibbert is a terrible comparison for Len. Len's pretty much Z's heir. Hibbert's game was really about bullying inferior college opponents. Len's game is more finesse and he has solid post moves which will translate very nicely into the NBA.

I don't believe Len will ever be an All-Star but he should be a very solid starting caliber Center in this league for the next 10-12 years. Also has no prior injuries, especially in the knees like Noel has. He's not an elite rebounder, but he's no slouch either. The Maryland guards really piss me off, they really don't understand how to move the ball around into the post.
    "I have missed over 9,000 shots, lost over 300 games. I have been trusted to take the game-winning shot 26 times, and missed. And that is why I succeed." -- Michael Jordan

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,328 Times in 883 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MVP_Eric_10 View Post
    I don't believe Len will ever be an All-Star but he should be a very solid starting caliber Center in this league for the next 10-12 years. Also has no prior injuries, especially in the knees like Noel has. He's not an elite rebounder, but he's no slouch either. The Maryland guards really piss me off, they really don't understand how to move the ball around into the post.
    Now that Center is no longer a specific position on the All-Star team, you're probably right. In this day and age, a "very solid starting caliber center" probably would be an all-star otherwise given that it is such a difficult position to fill.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmac91 View Post

LOL Len and Hibbert are exact opposites.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Swisher33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,147 Posts

Len has a much higher upside then Hibbert,. Hibbert was a huge work in progress during his college years, and never displayed the jump shot that Len already possess. Len is much more agile as well. Horrific comparision honestly. I would say a mix between an pre-injury Z and Rick Smits would be better!

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MVP_Eric_10 View Post
    Are you even kidding? Hibbert literally couldn't even run. It was reported he couldn't do 1 pushup coming out of college. Hibbert is a terrible comparison for Len. Len's pretty much Z's heir. Hibbert's game was really about bullying inferior college opponents. Len's game is more finesse and he has solid post moves which will translate very nicely into the NBA.

Hibbert can run fine now, and is a max player. Comparing him to Hibbert in size and the way they run the court isn't a knock or a bad thing. You're correct in that Indiana trained Hibbert to run with a specific gait to prevent injury, but when you see Hibbert move, it's really similar to Len.

I think Hibbert has developed a nice post game and a decent mid-range jump shot. If you compare Len to Hibbert when Hibbert left Georgetown, I think Len is clearly the more gifted player. He isn't the defnder or rebounder Hibbert was while at Georgetown but he also has a far superior offensive game. I like that he is comfortable with his back to the basket but also has a nice jump-shot.

Anyways, the comparison to Hibbert wasn't about having identical games, but more about basketball acumen, and the size they have. It's apparent every Pacer game that Hibbert is just monstrous, and it will be the same thing with Len. Plus Len will be able to put on another 20-25 lbs as he matures.

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    Len has a much higher upside then Hibbert,. Hibbert was a huge work in progress during his college years, and never displayed the jump shot that Len already possess. Len is much more agile as well. Horrific comparision honestly. I would say a mix between an pre-injury Z and Rick Smits would be better!

Hibbert also had zero jump-shot in college, although he has developed a great one in Indiana. I'd suggest watching this video, because I think a lot of opinions on what Hibbert has become are significantly different than what he was even 2 years ago. In fact, if Len consistently reaches the play of Roy Hibbert, he'd be the guaranteed #1 pick in the draft. Hibbert isn't a max player and arguably the best center in the NBA because he sucks. Len, like Hibbert, are both way more athletic than anything Z or Smits was. Hibbert is essentially an inside-out center with the ability to hit an 18 footer. Defensively he hangs in the paint and tries to alter shots with his length.

I think Len has more ability than just a pick and pop guy like Z and Smits were a majority of their careers. While Len doesn't currently have the frame of Hibbert, he's going to be a massive dude in 2-3 years. He's already 255 lbs, and he still has a lot of muscle mass potential. They also both finish extremely well with both hands around the rim and are extremely effective without having to dunk the ball. Something that has taken Tristan Thompson a long time to learn.

Again, my initial point was not to say Len is the next Roy Hibbert. That would be stupid. But I see some similarities, especially size, athleticism, and basketball IQ. Take a guy like Byron Mullens, formerly of Ohio State. Kid has turned into a legitimate NBA starting center, has a nice deep ball, athletic as all get out, but lacks any meaningful post game, and plays stupid basketball.

I like that Len tries to be a center, fights for position every time down the court, utilizes a nice back to the basket game, and isn't afraid to attack the hoop and exploit the size advantage he has. I also still strongly stand by my point, that they move very similar. Just watch the above videos. It isn't as if Hibbert moves like Chris Dudley circa 1991.