View Poll Results: If the Cavs get the second pick, who should they choose?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ben McLemore

19 8.92%
  • Otto Porter

129 60.56%
  • Anthony Bennett

9 4.23%
  • Victor Oladipo

24 11.27%
  • Alex Len

30 14.08%
  • Other---

2 0.94%
Page 144 of 576 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 2,146 to 2,160 of 8632

Thread: 2013 NBA Draft

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 591 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NBA Draft

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker1399 View Post
    Not saying they couldn't. My argument is based around those who want to draft Oladipo with our first pick and move Waiters to the bench. I'm not using the Cavs first pick to draft a 3rd guard. They have more pressing holes than that. With the Lakers pick? Sure (he won't last that late). Certainly not with our own..... That's my only point.
    Oh. Well I don't advocate relegating Dion to the bench either just for the sake of it either, I was just pointing out Vic brings a lot to the table. Say his stock doesn't sky rocket to the top of the lottery and we can get him late lotto via trade up with LA's pick if they make the playoffs, I feel he'd be an excellent addition via that circumstance. At this point in the season that's a straight up pipe dream I think. Dude's been out of his mind lately.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 578 Posts

With the Cavs climbing the standings and the lottery chances get slimmer; I think it's important to note that Willie Cauley-Stein had a 20 point effort tonight vs. Vanderbilt to go with 7 rebounds and 3 blocks. Could be someone raising up the draft boards to keep an eye on. John Calipari has been very complementary of Cauley-Stein's game..... Seems to be a legitimate low-post threat with good basketball sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,875 Times in 940 Posts

Before scoffing at the notion of a "3rd guard" consider that with a SG with the length, athleticism, and tenacity that Oladipo possess you could have a rotation of:

Kyrie: 36 mpg at PG
    Dion: 36 mpg total (24 mpg at SG, 12 mpg at PG)
    Oladipo/or Shabbazz: 36 mpg total (24mpg at SG, 12 mpg at SF)

Against teams with avg. to smaller sized SF's, you could slide Oladipo/Shabbazz over to SF even more and sneak in a guy like Ellington to space the floor and hit 3s for 10-20 mpg.

If we end up at pick 6 or 7 and Noel/Shabbazz are both gone, I would be totally comfortable taking Oladipo

Thanks
    Thanked 28,826 Times in 9,210 Posts

How many mpg do we think Oladipo, Waiters and Kyrie could share together on the floor?

IMO if the answer is 25 or more, he's worth a hard look.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 981 Posts

The only other silver lining to a third guard in the draft is the competition for minutes. Waiters needs a fire in his belly to stop him getting complaicent and fat. Having to win and keep the starting spot, compete in practice etc.. might help keep the momentum in his development. At the end of the day if said draftee is also a great player it gives you the salary flexibility to ensure waiters signs a decent extension or ship him out ala harden, with a guy waiting to replace him.

Banned
    Thanks

So how about Kelly Olynyk ?
    in HS and as a FR at Gonzaga he was a 6'9 SF, but he grew a few inches before the season started so Mark Few RS'd him to put on weight and learn how to play inside, he's now a 7 foot C who has guard handles, SF athletic abillity and shooting, he shot 44% from the 3 point line as a Sophmore and this year he's averaging 19-7 while still learning how to be a Center, i think he would be a great PF because he has the size he's going to shoot over most PF in the league, and he's got the athletic to blow by the bigger PFs/Centers teams try to cover him with, he's going to get better at rebounding he's still learning how to play inside, and the kid can obviously shoot

i think he's someone who's going to shoot up the boards by draft day but right now he's projected 18th by DraftExpress

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Swisher33 For This Useful Post:

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Am I the only one who thinks Otto Porter will be a safe pick for the cavs?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,329 Times in 2,501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kyridiculous View Post
    No, I think he could very well be our pick and would serve a solid starter or great bench player. I think the Cavs would prefer a bench player, but Otto Porter would not surprise me and I think he could be a solid piece to this team. I think 2013 will be a lot like 2012. Though there won't be an Anthony Davis, I think there will be a lot of decent talent but not much great talent.

Thanks

For those still holding out hope of getting Oladipo with the Lakers' pick, you should probably forget that idea as an option.

Posted on Insider today:

The discussion: Who are the nation's best wing players?

Chad Ford: Every year, NBA scouts and general managers obsess over centers and point guards come draft time. What's interesting about the NBA's big man and point guard obsession is that, for the most part, the NBA is already stocked with high-quality centers, power forwards and point guards. According to John Hollinger's PER statistics, this season there are currently 37 point guards, 34 power forwards and 35 centers with a PER more than 15.

NBA teams really need to mine the draft for wings. Currently, just 16 shooting guards and 20 small forwards cross the 15 PER barrier. And 15 of those 36 wings who are putting up plus-15 PERs aren't even starters.

This year's draft could offer some welcome relief. Call it a renaissance year for quality wings, as we have four wings in our top 10 and another nine in our top 30.

At the top of the shooting guards are two major talents: Kansas' Ben McLemore and Indiana's Victor Oladipo. Both players are potential top-five picks. McLemore currently sits at No. 1 on our Top 100. Oladipo, who has been the fastest riser on our Big Board this season, has moved all the way up to No. 5.

Both players are big-time athletes. McLemore is a better shooter and brings more size (6-foot-5, 195 pounds) to the table. He's more of a natural scorer than Oladipo, and his overall game is more polished. Oladipo is a better defender and is a bit more comfortable playing off the dribble. Also, Oladipo has a better motor than McLemore and appears to have an edge that McLemore lacks. Both players are a terror in transition. While scouts currently favor McLemore, Oladipo's stock is rising to the point that he now has an outside chance of being the No. 1 pick.

Lehigh's C.J. McCollum, Michigan State's Gary Harris and Kentucky's Archie Goodwin are all natural scorers who have a good shot at being lottery picks. San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin, Cal's Allen Crabbe and Georgia's Kentavious Caldwell-Pope are all potential first-rounders if they declare for this year's draft.

At the small forward position, UCLA's Shabazz Muhammad and Georgetown's Otto Porter Jr. top the list. Muhammad, who currently ranks No. 6 in our Top 100, is one of the best pure scorers in college basketball. He can carry a team on offense and plays with a fierce determination. Porter, who sits at No. 8 on our Big Board, is bigger and a more well-rounded player. He can defend multiple positions, scores from anywhere on the floor and gets other players involved. Porter's game is quieter, but he plays with a poise that is rare for a player his age (19).

Michigan's Glenn Robinson III has a good shot of landing between the late lottery and mid-first round. North Texas' Tony Mitchell and UCLA's Kyle Anderson have a chance of cracking the first round as well.

Jay Bilas: This is not a great year for overall talent in college basketball, but there are some really good wings who have had a big impact on the college game and will be attractive in this year's NBA draft. Most of the best wings listed below are young and project as good pros. Additionally, there is another top wing player listed below who is not talked about much but is having a great college career and a terrific senior season.

Ben McLemore, Kansas Jayhawks

McLemore is 20 years old but is still learning how to take over a game. He reminds one of Ray Allen, with an incredible stroke, crazy range that is effortless and an ease of play that is hypnotizing. McLemore is just scratching the surface of how good he can be and is a future NBA All-Star. This kid is a pure scorer and a natural player.

Victor Oladipo, Indiana Hoosiers

Oladipo does everything on the floor and is a superior athlete. At 6-4 and long, he can guard anywhere on the floor and cover almost anyone. Plus, he is incredibly disruptive on the defensive end as he gets steals and deflections at a high rate. Oladipo is an open-court finisher who has greatly improved his shot. Also, he consistently hits open shots.

Otto Porter Jr., Georgetown Hoyas

Porter plays hard on both ends and is a very skilled wing who can handle the ball, drive, pass and cut well. He has improved his shot and has a nice middle game. On the defensive end, Porter is versatile, can guard big or small players and is a solid rebounder.

Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA Bruins

The lefty wing can bully you and get to the rim. Muhammad is a scorer and has good size, strength and athleticism for a wing guard. He can power his way past defenders off the dribble, pull up and finish through contact. He is not a great shooter but can hit shots, and he can make challenged shots. Muhammad works his way to the foul line almost six times per game but is not yet a focused defender.

Khalif Wyatt, Temple Owls

Wyatt may not be the NBA prospect who other players on this list project to be -- and he is not as efficient -- but he is one heck of a college player who I believe will find a place in the NBA. Although he will not outquick you, Wyatt is strong, uses his body well, understands angles and how to draw contact and play with pace. Wyatt averages 19.8 points and four assists per game while shooting 83 percent from the foul line, getting there almost seven times per game. Wyatt simply knows how to play.

Prospect on the rise

Bilas: Joe Harris, G, Virginia Cavaliers

Not every player who has success in the NBA was projected to be an All-Star, and there are countless players who did not capture imaginations because of the seductive power of explosive athleticism or an eye-popping skill set. Instead, some players find a niche in the league and become valuable pieces because they have a singular skill, and Harris has such a skill: He can shoot the ball. At 6-6, Harris has size, is well-built and has a quick release on his jump shot, not to mention excellent form and a repeating stroke. He can score from deep, hits shots coming off screens and can pull up off the bounce.

Harris, who plays in low-possession games that do not allow for big numbers, averages 16.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.2 assists per game while shooting 50 percent from the floor and 48 percent from 3-point range. Harris already has hit 64 3-point field goals this season and 178 in his career. In his past five games, Harris is averaging 20 points per game and has hit 38 of 59 shots (64 percent). On a good team, Harris can help stretch a defense, and he is tough. I don't know whether Harris will be drafted or where, but I know this: He is a really good player.

Ford: Gary Harris, G, Michigan State Spartans

Oladipo might have stolen the show when the Hooisers beat the Spartans on Tuesday, but Harris proved again that he, too, has the potential to be an elite wing in the NBA. Not only is Harris an elite athlete, he's also a versatile defender who is an elite shooter from beyond the 3-point arc.

While Harris lacks ideal size (6-4, 205) for his position, his excellent motor, toughness and leadership for his age (18) bode well for his NBA future. Although he sits at No. 17 on our Top 100, he is making a strong late push to be a potential lottery pick in this year's draft.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-coll...small-forwards

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Josh Criiiiibbs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by STAT View Post
    Forget these blue chippers. Allow me to introduce you to Jack Cooley - Luke Harangody 2.0.

Wait, let me get this straight...

First we get "Yoga Bistro is a Mini-Jordan" and "Yolo Deep Hole is a Jordan-Wade combo."

Then you DARE say this guy is Harangody 2.0?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 839 Posts

How has Alex Poythrees looked so far? I haven't heard much in the media about him so I'm guessing he is struggling. I'd still take him with a late lotto pick if we can get one before the draft. Especially if we get our center with our own pick, getting Poythrees as that defender and threat to score would fill out our team nicely.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,543 Times in 873 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silky Smooth View Post
    How has Alex Poythrees looked so far? I haven't heard much in the media about him so I'm guessing he is struggling. I'd still take him with a late lotto pick if we can get one before the draft. Especially if we get our center with our own pick, getting Poythrees as that defender and threat to score would fill out our team nicely.

He looks likes he has no buissness playing NBA basketball next year! Other guys i would rather have1

Situational Stopper pinoycavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

how bout marcus smart?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pinoycavsfan View Post
    how bout marcus smart?

I don't see it at all. Smart is a decent prospect, but he isn't very explosive, doesn't shoot well, and doesn't fit with the current roster very well. I like him fine, but not for the Cavs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyridiculous View Post
    Not really. In that 5-10 range, Porter would be a good choice and propably a perfect fit next to Kyrie and Dion.