Page 218 of 862 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318718 ... LastLast
Results 3,256 to 3,270 of 12919

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

I think he plays with a chip now and for a long time. He has something to prove and I don't see that mentality changing anytime soon. Dion is near the bottom of the worry list for this team.

Thanks

I think in a month or so we're going to get used to have another solid player on our team and the talks of bust will be a faded memory. He really balls, and is playing great for a rookie in their 3rd game. So far top 3 rookie, and I don't know that anyone will upset that. Can't ask for more than that.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,376 Posts

I am very happy with Dion so far. I've seen him do things off the dribble that I know mkg and Barnes will never do. Much better than Beal off the dribble too. Very excited SO FAR.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gimme Some Mo For This Useful Post:

kj1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

He made some bad decisions in the clutch, but I love the aggressiveness he played with. Hopefully Byron keeps bringing him off the bench early in the 4th quarter when Kyrie is out, he seemed to naturally take over for a stretch there.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,292 Times in 3,620 Posts

I know it's to early to say this but at this point I'm relieved Beal was taken before Waiters. I wanted Beal prior to the draft, but just seeing the two in an NBA game it would seem to me that Waiters is far more versatile a player. Can do way more with the ball than Beal could ever dream of doing.

EDIT: Also, looking at other rooks so far I think we're being to tough on Byron when he takes Dion out for long stretches. Dion is average 26 minutes a game. Barnes is getting 18. MKG is getting 20. Beal is getting 22. Standard for rooks to get low PT early in the season.
    Last edited by Rich; 11-03-2012 at 10:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 968 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I know it's to early to say this but at this point I'm relieved Beal was taken before Waiters. I wanted Beal prior to the draft, but just seeing the two in an NBA game it would seem to me that Waiters is far more versatile a player. Can do way more with the ball than Beal could ever dream of doing.

EDIT: Also, looking at other rooks so far I think we're being to tough on Byron when he takes Dion out for long stretches. Dion is average 26 minutes a game. Barnes is getting 18. MKG is getting 20. Beal is getting 22. Standard for rooks to get low PT early in the season.
    26 minutes a game isn't enough when he appears to be the teams 2nd best scorer, and clearly is the only guy on the team other than Kyrie who can actually create offense.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,292 Times in 3,620 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elcheato View Post
    26 minutes a game isn't enough when he appears to be the teams 2nd best scorer, and clearly is the only guy on the team other than Kyrie who can actually create offense.
    Did you read what I wrote? Who do you think the Bobcats 2nd best player, or first for that matter? It's normal for rookies to be broken in slowly. You don't just throw them in for 40 minutes a night starting game 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont have exact numbers but Lillard seems to be aying alot. With OT i think he had 40 to tonight.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 2,297 Times in 968 Posts

Did you read what I wrote? Who do you think the Bobcats 2nd best player, or first for that matter? It's normal for rookies to be broken in slowly. You don't just throw them in for 40 minutes a night starting game 1.
    The Blazers have had no problems handing over the keys to Lillard and playing him huge minutes, because he was clearly their best PG from day 1.

But some coaches have to stick with playing mediocre veterans for some minutes the rookies should be getting because they haven't "earned" their playing time yet.

Thanks

I think charlotte counts kemba as their best player, and MKG, offensively, isn't even in the top 5. He scored 10+ for the first time tonight. Defensively he's been a beast but I think it's more justifiable to give him less minutes than it is dion, when we have cj miles and walton out here stinking it up and then dion comes in and makes some sweet jumpers/ layups off the dribble. Love the guy, eventually he will be big time. Get used to Kyrie and Dion as the Big 2 of cleveland

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,594 Times in 3,195 Posts

I think it really depends on the rookie. It's pretty obvious that Dion is our third-best player behind Kyrie and AV. He plays hard on both ends of the floor, he's a good distributor, and he can get to the hoop. Not only is he better, but he's more fun to watch than anyone backing him up (or anyone on the team, as above, not named Kyrie or Anderson). Sure, he makes dumb mistakes from time to time, but that's every rookie ever.

The bottom line is that when the people backing you up are named Daniel Gibson and Donald Sloan, you should be playing over thirty minutes a game.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

kj1

Thanks
    Thanked 10,120 Times in 2,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elcheato View Post
    The Blazers have had no problems handing over the keys to Lillard and playing him huge minutes, because he was clearly their best PG from day 1.

But some coaches have to stick with playing mediocre veterans for some minutes the rookies should be getting because they haven't "earned" their playing time yet.
    If Lillard keeps playing huge minutes, he'd have to be a total anomaly not to crash the fuck into the rookie wall midseason. Maybe he's somehow gotten his body into NBA season shape before ever playing in the NBA, but if not he's going to fatigue brutally towards the second half of the season.

It's not always about some power trip with coaches about rookies "earning their minutes". Some coaches are smart enough to realize the physical beating their rookie's body isn't ready for during at 82 game season and tries to pace them with playing time. Your assumptions are way off base and much too general.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,120 Times in 2,602 Posts

Liked what I saw out of Dion tonight. He and Kyrie maximizing each other's talents playing off one another will take a lot of games, but right now the two threat, take turns thing is working nicely. If you can't see the incredible potential of Dion working the pick and roll, you don't know basketball. He worked the midrange game a bit tonight, keeping defenders on his hip. He needs to continue to work on getting to the rim and finishing among the trees...but even so he is playing better than most rookies up to this point. Beal has looked pretty trashy so far. MKG looks very raw. Barnes has been underwhelming. TRob has been crap on offense and horrendous on defense. Rivers is struggling.

Overall I'm happy with Dion's play thus far. Showing me about what I'd see at this point. With his ball handling, natural feel for the pick and roll, and nice jumper off the bounce, I don't think it's difficult to see why select people thought he has the most actual star potential from a perimeter player in this class. If he can put the flashes we've seen together consistently, he looks like a stud.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,543 Posts

Been happy with Waiters performance. That being said Dion seems like he's due for a real big game soon. Still get the feeling he's still missing a lot of shot (midrange, at the rim) that he'll be able to make on a consistent basis as he matures.

The one critique so far is I'm in the camp that want him to shoot less 3's. He's putting 1-2 contested 3's or long jumpers a game that are low percentage shots. This hurts his FG% not only because he's missed these 3's so far but also takes away possession where he can attack the rim.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I think he's due for a big game but for a different reason than missing shots, I think pretty soon coach is going to realize that it's better for him to be taking shots than CJ miles, and so he'll be asked to be more aggressive. For large stretches while dion was out there he was asked to do little more than stand around. That may be a design or it may be because he has no clue how to play off the ball. Then he had a nice stretch in the second half where the ball was in his hands and he created.

The best strategy right now, to me, seems to take dion out when he has been taken out and then put him in as the anchor for the second unit and let him ball dominate during that time instead of subbing 5 out. Once kyrie and co come back out, take dion out for a bit (so his minutes stay the same). I'm much more comfortable with a second unit led by dion than cj miles AND it makes our scoring more efficient in that kyrie can create and score without having dion standing around doing nothing.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to apolo29 For This Useful Post: