Page 229 of 969 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279329729 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 14529

Thread: Dion Waiters

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes, that tempers my expectations as well. Ben Gordon has always had that take-over attitude as well, and as a rook he certainly had big games, but Dion has plenty of time to show that he can be more than Ben.

We can certainly argue ourselves in circles with player comparisons, but Dion controls his own destiny and all we can do is sit back see where it goes.
    Can't be the same "Jon" from this same thread during preseason..

Or.. glad you came around..

Thanks
    Thanked 7,362 Times in 2,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RTrees View Post

Or.. glad you came around..
    Dion's play in his first 4 games have made us doubters come along. If you aren't at least a little bit hopeful, then you truly are nothing but a hater. He has far exceeded my hopes and I am sure many on here hopes.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

I have also been quite pleased with the early season performance. He clearly has passed the first test of having skills at age 20 that can play at an NBA level. The second test is to show that he can produce with regularity under the grind of playing 82 games. The true good ones will bring something positive to the floor almost every night.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,520 Times in 4,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dion's play in his first 4 games have made us doubters come along. If you aren't at least a little bit hopeful, then you truly are nothing but a hater. He has far exceeded my hopes and I am sure many on here hopes.
    Hell, I was a Dion supporter all along and he's still exceeded my expectations for him this early in the season. I expected him to struggle early and slowly make progress. Instead he came into the league looking like he belonged. I wasn't expecting that.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RTrees View Post
    I didn't change. Dion's performance has changed.

From 9/18:

I don't think anyone has concluded that Waiters performance in summer league proves he won't make it, but for the moment it's all we've got to go on.
    And it's not like his struggles to finish at the rim surprise me a bit:

from 9/27:

Quote Originally Posted by cusefan79 View Post
    Waiters is a tank. He LIKES contact at the rim. As a cuse fan who watched every game of his career..8 of them in person. He is not intimidated by anyone. And for those who wonder about the off the bench question....the second triche missed two straight shots here came dion in the game. And in the moments it counted dion was always there. Hes a streaky shooter with a viscous crossover and pullup and or step back J. When he splits the d at the 3 point line and decides hes getting to the rim the only way to stop him is to tackle him. Expect him to spend a lot of time at the FT line.
    Of course the defender can always try draw a charge or block the shot and refs don't tend to give rooks a lot of respect when it comes to contact on a drive.
    I also said before the game that I expected him to struggle .vs. the Bulls, and he surely did.

So, all I can say is pay better attention.

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CalBuckeyeRob View Post
    I have also been quite pleased with the early season performance. He clearly has passed the first test of having skills at age 20 that can play at an NBA level. The second test is to show that he can produce with regularity under the grind of playing 82 games. The true good ones will bring something positive to the floor almost every night.
    And also separate himself from the guys who take away in one area as much as they give in another.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,520 Times in 4,041 Posts

FYI:

Lowe: Meanwhile, the Knicks have looked great. The Nets can score. Philly is a mess, and their best player (Andrew Bynum) is hurt. The Raptors, assuming a quick comeback for Kyle Lowry, are dangerous and fun. The Bucks and Hawks are feisty. The Bulls are still defending like hell. That makes 10 solid Eastern Conference teams.

Simmons: Everyone in Cleveland is wounded that you didn't mention the Cavs after that electric — repeat: ELECTRIC! — Irving/Waiters backcourt performance against the Clippers on Monday night. But keep going.
    Source: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...n-goes-granger

Cavs finally getting some respect it seems.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 374 Posts

I got home from work and flipped the game on to a perfect ending. In fact, I was excited that LA came back to tie the game late in the 4th, crowd going nuts, odds against us. I told my wife and 3 month old that this is exactly what we need to build character. It's the closest thing to playoff basketball, and it builds those icy veins. That's what was so great about the game and specifically Dion's performance: it couldn't have been any tougher: a playoff team (from LY), on the road, with all of the momentum in the world and he thrived on squashing all of LA's hopes and dreams. I could feel the schadenfreude through the screen. I haven't been that excited for a Cavs win since LBJ had that look in his eyes in the playoffs. Those experiences build a winner, and it was poetry.
    This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by natedagg View Post
    I got home from work and flipped the game on to a perfect ending. In fact, I was excited that LA came back to tie the game late in the 4th, crowd going nuts, odds against us. I told my wife and 3 month old that this is exactly what we need to build character. It's the closest thing to playoff basketball, and it builds those icy veins. That's what was so great about the game and specifically Dion's performance: it couldn't have been any tougher: a playoff team (from LY), on the road, with all of the momentum in the world and he thrived on squashing all of LA's hopes and dreams. I could feel the schadenfreude through the screen. I haven't been that excited for a Cavs win since LBJ had that look in his eyes in the playoffs. Those experiences build a winner, and it was poetry.
    love it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I agree, and I thanked you, but I dont think Waiters becomes Ray Allen. He was one of the best all around sg's in the last 25 years. In fact, MJ, Wade and Kobe are the only ones I can think of that are better. (and yes, that includes Clyde).

But then again, not sure you said he would become Allen, just defending his game which you did very well.
    I don't think Waiters becomes Ray Allen either..I may have gotten a little off track on the Ray Allen side of things becuase some one said Ray Allen was considered a spot up shooter

I missed a transistion when I jumped down to talk about Dion, wasn't trying to compare Dion to Ray Allen, just noticed that Dion may have a knack for picking up 4 point plays with how high & quick his shot release is

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

More Simmons love:

"Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters will be the most exciting backcourt in the league this year."

"Dion Waiters is Dwyane Wade." -Jalen Rose
    Talk about a fast backtrack

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,042 Posts

When do the Cavs play on National TV if they even do. Second question when do they play the Raptors?

Reason I ask is I need to see this kid play. On the stream I was watching he looked like a blur, then I realised the stream was frozen... I feel like i'll never see the Cavs again the way this is going. I can't watch streams because they are just unbearable to me, and there are only three other ways I can watch them play. The first one is National TV games, the second is against the Raptors, and the third is on a show called court surfing that cuts in and out of games, unfortunately it is on tonight, but only until 10:30, go figure eh.

My frigging luck the Cavs will play the Raptors, and Dion will be a DNP.

~
    Thanks

Did you try the NBA league pass broadband during the free period? The quality is very good, but I suppose it depends what your streaming problems were. If your internet connection simply can't handle something like 2-5mbps download speed, you're going to have problems. If you were just using those cheap feeds from frontrowsports or whatever, well, they are crap regardless of your download speed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,042 Posts

Did you try the NBA league pass broadband during the free period? The quality is very good, but I suppose it depends what your streaming problems were. If your internet connection simply can't handle something like 2-5mbps download speed, you're going to have problems. If you were just using those cheap feeds from frontrowsports or whatever, well, they are crap regardless of your download speed.
    I didn't know that they had a free pass until yesterday, and by then it was too late. I don't know if it is my connection, or it is just the atdhe streams. I assume it is the streams, and I just can't stand watching them. If I can't watch them on TV soon i'm just going to suck it up and watch a stream.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,836 Times in 2,744 Posts

I preface all of my posts this way

I'm the biggest Dion fan on the board, but this is a bit ridiculous. The kid gets hot and has one great game and all of a sudden the national media is eating this shit up and our fans are expecting too much from him. This over the top, premature love fest will not end well.

He will have a mediocre game tonight and people will be disappointed...but I still think he's got an incredibly bright future. I'm just perturbed/confused by the irrational attitude switch all of a sudden.