Page 237 of 968 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337737 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,555 of 14519

Thread: Dion Waiters

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 945 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by MYoung23 View Post
    Waiters doesn't have the elite level quickness and explosion of Dwyane Wade. Those 2 attributes have been a big part of who Wade as been so I dont think the comparison holds up.
    Very true, but Dion already has the strength, which is the pre-requisite to having elite explosiveness. He needs to do a lot of quickness training this summer, but it's possible that he could become a lot more explosive over time. Wade might be a stretch, I like Baron Davis as the comparison.

We were talking about his slashing game, and last night he sure displayed that it's true, he's got it in his arsenal. He does look a little like Wade in the pick and roll, using that tank body to maneuver through the defense.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,267 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrich91 View Post
    Is there a compilation of all Dion's scoring from last night, like there was for the Clippers game? I missed the 2nd half and heard he took over for a stretch in the 4th.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,836 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I 100% agree with you. Outside of their size and position, there really is nothing in common between the 2. Wade is a better athlete, driver, ball handler, Waiters is a much better shot. Its almost silly the comparison. The better comparison is Ray Allen, but that is also silly 6 games into someone's career too.
    People freak out with the Wade comparison and take it the wrong way. Relax, no sane person is calling him the next Wade.

What you simply cannot argue is the way he looks/maneuvers like Wade on the court. His probing off the pick and roll, his split of the double, his finishes around the basket, his tendency to size up jumpers that seem incredibly ill-advised and splash them with the defender all over him...he looks just like Wade with the way he moves around out there.

He won't be Wade obviously, but he sure seems to have watched a lot of Wade tape and tried to model his game after him.

Anyway, for as excited as I was about Dion, I didn't think he'd have this many good games this early. The kid balls.
    Last edited by chrisrich91; 11-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 793 Posts

Ray Allen?? I hope you meant Allen Ray, because I see no resemblance of his game in Waiters'.

EDIT - Maybe their ability to shoot through people with a strong upper body.....I'll give you that.
    Last edited by Lord Mar; 11-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : posts #37 rep #44

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

I love his court demeanor, this kid is a stone cold killer on the court.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks

I hope this kid keeps his head on straight. The sky is the limit. Two years in a row with the rookie of the year? Wow

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PIP View Post
    people kinda forget how much a force Arenas was when he was healthy... I think Dion is a little smaller than Gilbert and not quite as talented in all honesty..

guy averaged near 30 and had a 60 point game and was ever bit as dangerous as any superstar when he was healthy...
    Oh I remember. Dude was fun to watch on offense. Instant offense. I'm just thinking back to when Arenas was drafted, I thought he was much smaller(lighter) than Dion is. I could be wrong. I know Arenas bulked up a bit as he aged.

Thanks

All ROY backcourt.

Thanks

Thanks for the highlights. Dude is stone cold seriously. Its nice to see him gettin% to the rack and converting so well.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,520 Times in 4,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Oh I remember. Dude was fun to watch on offense. Instant offense. I'm just thinking back to when Arenas was drafted, I thought he was much smaller(lighter) than Dion is. I could be wrong. I know Arenas bulked up a bit as he aged.
    Arenas was around the same height (6'4" for Arenas) as Waiters, but I'm pretty sure he weighed less when he was drafted. Arenas weighs 215 now. Waiters entered the NBA at 215, and that was obviously after he got in shape.

As far as comparisons go, Waiters just seems more like Kobe (young Kobe, not the Kobe today who has developed a post game and all that) to me. He loves his midrange game and he takes ill-advised shots that still somehow manage to fall. He's not afraid to shoot in the clutch either, and you just get that feeling he's going to make a shot when the team needs it. He lacks Kobe's size and isn't quite as athletic, but he has that similar killer, "I'm the best player on this court and fuck anyone who disagrees with me" mentality.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 793 Posts

*Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : posts #37 rep #44

Thanks
    Thanked 23,763 Times in 5,268 Posts

The number to circle is 13 FTAs not the .615 FT shooting percentage. Would like to see him get to the line more often, not worried about the percentage this early in the process. Just seems like a matter of time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 Times in 775 Posts

Honestly, I'm more excited about last nights game than I am about the Clippers game. He looked more aggressive in driving to the hoop. He didn't just hit shots, he hit BIG shots when they mattered. He made some excellent decisions with the ball in the 4th quarter, made some excellent passes. Had some defensive flashes. The kid is not always going to shoot 50% from 3, but he's gonna get better at finishing around the rim and get to the line more as he adjusts to the speed of the game.

With only being 1 game removed from his "breakout" and to have a game like this is a great sign. Obviously we can't expect this from him every night, and we have to be patient when he looks like shit out there as a rook, but I'm very encouraged by what I have seen. And this is coming from a guy who REALLY wanted Drummond.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

As shitty as it was to lose, Dion or Kyrie was a legitimate debate when it came to who should take the last shot. Granted, part of that had to do with Kyrie not being 100%, but it definitely looks like the Cavs have two guys capable of winning the game with the last shot. Defenses won't be able to key in on one player in the final seconds. Nice to know going forward.

The Official ***-Slap Guy thedarkness2332's Avatar
    Thanks

Dion will be good if he stays healthy. The thing I like most is that he does compete defensively (most of the time) and is intensely competitive. He doesn't want anyone to light him up. I can tell that he will actually be a guy who is an above average defender once he learns more defensive principles. Offensively, we still haven't seen the best of Dion. He can finish over the top going to the hoop. I've seen it many times at 'Cuse. He can posterize. He has better athleticism than his stout build would indicate. Shot selection, a bit of a mixed bag. However, as his 3 percentage drops this year, his 2% will make up for it as he gets it going around the cup. I fully expect 18 ppg this season from him. He's getting the shots, his minutes will increase, and he has the skill set to put up the points consistently by getting to the line. This part, as we all are waiting, is yet to be showcased.
    CBNS--Cleveland Basketball Never Stops