Page 352 of 860 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402452852 ... LastLast
Results 5,266 to 5,280 of 12891

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

No one will say Waiters will be one of the great defenders in the league.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,505 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis05 View Post
    No one will say Waiters will be one of the great defenders in the league.
    Because no one knows yet, he's not even to the All-Star break of his rookie season.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BimboColesHair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 933 Posts

Varejao did become become an all defensive teamer, so your view of him was wrong. Waiters has shown no ability to move with out the ball. The offense just stops and becomes one on one whenever irving or waiters touches the ball.
    Hind sight is always wonderful. Really is. Andy had to change his game in order to become that great defender. His initial play style when he came into the league did center too much on taking changes and not so much on playing actual defense. His offensive side was a complete disaster. His change to play on both sides of the ball came after Ben Wallace joined the club. It is pretty clear that Andy adapted some things he learned from Ben into his game. It is also pretty clear that the trajectory that Andy was on was not to be the great defender he is today prior to changing the way he played.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Someone believes it. The guy is built like a brick shit house and garnered accolades for his on ball defense in college. Have some balls. C'mon, come out from under your rock. Don't wait for momentum. Give some line of reasoning for why waiters will be da defensive stopper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,806 Times in 921 Posts

Dion has a lot to work on but he also has skills that a lot of guys in the league don't and even though his overall shooting has not been great in the last three wins, in all three games late in the 4th quarter he made serious drive and scores to the bucket that supported Kyries heroics. Over the course of a few seasons, you can build a solid all around game around those type of high level penetration skills.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirORich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 933 Posts

Someone believes it. The guy is built like a brick shit house and garnered accolades for his on ball defense in college. Have some balls. C'mon, come out from under your rock. Don't wait for momentum. Give some line of reasoning for why waiters will be da defensive stopper.
    What is this nonsense at 2:30 AM? Don't you realize that most posters are asleep at this hour. I am sure you'll get some responses to this later today. Take a chill pill.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,503 Times in 3,167 Posts

Because he's a rookie and already a decent defender. He misses rotations a lot, but that's part of being a rookie. Will he be an all-defensive team member? I have no idea. I'm not really sure why that's such a big deal to you. Are you going to consider the kid a bust if he never makes an all-defensive team but is otherwise a solid defender and great on offense?

I just really don't understand your obsession with the all-defensive team.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    Really player comes back from injury and it takes him some games to get back to playing well? There is no leap of faith there
    The problem with that is Dion had no track record to look back at - and compare and say obviously something isn't right.

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
    Hind sight is always wonderful.
    Andy was a catlyst on the team from nearly the minute he joined the team - and that was primarily about his defense. Yes, he overemphasized help defense over individual D, and that was very important to our success. He cleaned up a ton of mistakes, and got us a ton of extra possessions, and made a huge difference when he was on the floor because he could man the post, and the other guys could spread the floor so LeISO could work.

Of course he's gotten better in other areas with age, experience, and how can help but learn playing next to someone like Ben Wallace; but that doesn't negate what he was or where he was heading. I never understood why some fans thought Andy wouldn't be able to adapt his game as he lost his "energy".

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I never understood why some fans thought Andy wouldn't be able to adapt his game as he lost his "energy".
    Let me explain it for you then. The reason why some fans thought Andy wouldn't be able to adapt his game as he lost his "energy" is because most of the time when an "energy player" loses his ability to play with energy every night, he's lost what made him a viable NBA player.

We'll have to see how it goes when Andy can't play with engery every night. It often happens to front court players when they turn 30. Andy turned 30 this season. I got my fingers crossed, but I also realize that there's a long track record of players going all Scott Pollard when they turn 30.

Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Let me explain it for you then. The reason why some fans thought Andy wouldn't be able to adapt his game as he lost his "energy" is because most of the time when an energy player loses his ability to play with energy, he loses what made him a viable NBA player.

We'll have to see how it goes when Andy can't play with engery every night. It often happens to front court players when they turn 30. Andy turned 30 this season. I got my fingers crossed, but I also realize that there's a long track record of players going all Scott Pollard when they turn 30.
    I call bullshit on that. Very few people are as awesome as Scot Pollard at 30.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks

Let me explain it for you then. The reason why some fans thought Andy wouldn't be able to adapt his game as he lost his "energy" is because most of the time when an "energy player" loses his ability to play with energy every night, he's lost what made him a viable NBA player.

Their bad for thinking Andy was just an "energy player".

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I call bullshit on that. Very few people are as awesome as Scot Pollard at 30.
    OK, You got me. It wasn't the day he turned 30. He managed to play about another 40 good games after he turned 30, but by the time he got to Cleveland, he was a drain on both the offense and defense when he played.

Veteran
    Thanks

OK, You got me. It wasn't the day he turned 30. He managed to play about another 40 good games after he turned 30, but by the time he got to Cleveland, he was a drain on both the offense and defense when he played.
    I wasn't referring to his play.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,807 Times in 9,201 Posts

Do drugs Dougs.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post: