Page 361 of 862 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461861 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,415 of 12919

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,683 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

Haven't gotten much of a chance to watch the Cavs this year. Tough while being on 3rd shift. But I'm starting to make it a priority. What I hate most about Waiters now is what I love most about him in 3 years. The kid will shoot, shoot and shoot. He doesn't get timid when his shot isn't falling. He keeps on chucking. Trying to shoot himself out of a slump is a great mindset for a player. He's a hound.
    "Most women are interested in me, because I have dimples and I'm Canadian."- "The Clam Slammin, two handed Jammin. Lefty turned righty. Up all nighty" Tristan Thompson

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzle View Post
    Yep and weve all taken notice of him. You also have his PPG? I dont really care about that raw stat i look more at percenatges, but it is also good to have awareness of the raw stats too
    basketball-reference.com allows you to click on games in a player's game log to select a range of games. Here is his line over the last 30 days:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...-sum:pgl_basic

For those that can't get to that link, he's averaging 14.6 pts on .429/.306/.786 shooting in the last 30 days.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 02-07-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Situational Stopper pinoycavsfan's Avatar
    Thanks

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pinoycavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    It's always funny to watch these type of debates, because you can always tell who actually watches the games and who just randomly checks a box score or a players stats once in a while.
    This

He is playing a very different style now and his mechanics are different. He needs to continue to work at it though, I'd like to see his three point shot take a jump this offseason. While he is at his best driving he'll get looks when Kyrie drives so he needs to be more reliable out there.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,829 Times in 9,211 Posts

Going to the basket, the dude does look eerily similar to Wade. I get the comparisons. They don't share much else in common, but Waiters could learn a lot from Wade's game 8-10 feet out in particular. In that series alone, there were three baskets 7-10 foot baskets that I'd love for him to replicate 4-5 times a game. If the dude can put it together like this almost every game next year, the 6th man talk will go away.

I love trash-talkers. I've always wanted to know what's being said on the floor at the NBA level.
    Last edited by Little Seizer; 02-08-2013 at 09:14 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,148 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    Going to the basket, the dude does look eerily similar to Wade. I get the comparisons. They don't share much else in common, but Waiters could learn a lot from Wade's game 8-10 feet out in particular. In that series alone, there were three baskets 7-10 foot baskets that I'd love for him to replicate 4-5 times a game. If the dude can put it together like this almost every game next year, the 6th man talk will go away.

I love trash-talkers. I've always wanted to know what's being said on the floor at the NBA level.
    No you don't - You'd go all epilepsy

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damage For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 427 Posts

Dion came into the NBA with a cocky confidence. It was easy to see he had a partial sense of entitlement. After all, he didn't even have to perform any of the workout jazz for any team before the draft.

All this was shaken once he experienced the speed of the NBA game and the skill level of the players. His prior bag of tricks wasn't fooling many NBA ballers. Then he showed a tendency to bark at the refs, never a good idea for a rookie. Combine these things and he ends up in Scotts' unofficial doghouse, coming off the bench.

He had to be thinking 'WTF?'

I give him credit for rolling with it and showing a willingness to work on the weaknesses in his floor game and attitude. The extra practice time shows Dion is hungry to raise his game. Let's hope we look at his game in another month and easily see consistent solid performances, cutting down on the stinkers. I'm wanting to see the effort game after game.

I also think he wouldn't mind getting his game up to a level where he starts getting some of the national love being thrown at Kyrie.

It will be interesting to see what kind of performance he has in the Rising Stars game.

Go Cavs!
    Last edited by kidduck; 02-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kidduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,543 Posts

He has a nice chemistry with Zeller: started in the summer league but it shows in the highlight they have a good feel for where the other wants the ball.
    If Tyler can do the necessary physical work and get stronger, a lot of Dion's assists are going to come from feeding Zeller and vice versa. Also, it would be nice to see if Zeller can get back to running the floor hard as I think guys like Dion and Kyrie will be able to find him
    Last edited by Pioneer10; 02-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Waiters has that first step and a natural juke that no-one can stay in front of. Waiters just knows how to zag when the guy guarding him thinks he's going to zig, and he does it thoughtlessly and effortlessly.

These are things you can't teach, it's an innate ability. Waiters idolized Iverson and if there's anything he somehow stole at an early age it was that ability to get past his man and leave him a step behind in the dust.

All the other comparisons don't really hold a lot of water. Beyond that first move, Waiters is a pretty unique player and I find it pretty hard to find anyone to really compare him to.

That's a good thing IMO, he's an original when you combine the total package of attitude, physical ability, body type, and learned skills.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to buzzdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

Noticed this a lot more the last few games: I think Waiters is learning how to consistently change speeds on his drives to keep the D off balance. Early in the year it was all straight line drives, but now he's shown off a bit of a stop/start move right before he commits to the drive.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,195 Posts

Two 50% shooting games in a row!

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree with Howler. That hesitation move along with his quick first step have helped him a lot. We are definitely seeing flashes of brilliance from Waiters. I am starting to really like the pairing of him and Kyrie. They are both good passers and both good with the ball. If Waiters offense keeps improving teams will really struggle to match-up with our back court.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

I think the biggest thing I've noticed is that he just looks more mature out there. He seems like he is starting to mentally get what he's doing. He's looked more team oriented, taken much better shots, and seems to have understood/accepted his role in ways we haven't seen from him before. I always thought this was going to be his biggest hurdle, so if this is a legit transformation/growth we're seeing from him, it's going to really aid in his development from here on out. He even referenced it in the post game interview, and acknowledged Byron pointing it out. Big step.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,593 Times in 3,195 Posts

Waiters signing autographs for some kids after the game (via Twitter):

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    Waiters signing autographs for some kids after the game (via Twitter):

Is that girl wearing Bill Russel's Chuck T's?

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob_The_Cat For This Useful Post: