Page 267 of 862 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317367767 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 12918

Thread: Dion Waiters

Leaping strong buildings!
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,369 Times in 1,420 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

"Scott has encouraged Waiters to look for midrange shots so the shooting guard isn't relying solely on his outside game or is at the mercy of waiting for a referee's whistle when he drives to the basket."

Jesus, what terrible advice. If this is actually what Coach Scott is telling Dion to do I'm seriously concerned about him as a coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,522 Times in 3,394 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S View Post
    "Scott has encouraged Waiters to look for midrange shots so the shooting guard isn't relying solely on his outside game or is at the mercy of waiting for a referee's whistle when he drives to the basket."

Jesus, what terrible advice. If this is actually what Coach Scott is telling Dion to do I'm seriously concerned about him as a coach.
    Not sure why encouraging your young SG to develop a midrange game is bad advice.
    Ass pennies

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Barnidge For This Useful Post:

A year later
    Thanks

You know who's looking amazing. Lillard. I think he's going to get ROY over Davis. On topic though, I would also like Waiters to try and get to the rim more. Being marked as a poor mans Wade has certain implications.

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,692 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    You're using stats from this season, and you're including EVERY guard. There's a reason I looked at last year (a full, albeit shortened, season), and limited it to (all) guards that played at least 30 mpg.

If you use just this year (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE), and you include every SG, no matter how many minutes, things are going to be skewed.
    you mean like dions 11 games? yet there is a total of 13 shooting guards that played 30 plus minutes per game last year. That is supposed to be representative of the league average? http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.as...&gp2=0&mins=30

only 2 of which had a 60 efg from threes and only jason terry had a similar assisted rate.

if your going to use the term league average. it should be the league average. Only ten shooting guards even averaged more than 3 shots at the rim a game.

The most likely thing that will happen going forward is Dions fg% at the rim will increase and his efg from the three will decrease. as per your own words his sample size is too small to make a comparison
    Last edited by Tornicade IED; 11-24-2012 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
    You know who's looking amazing. Lillard. I think he's going to get ROY over Davis. On topic though, I would also like Waiters to try and get to the rim more. Being marked as a poor mans Wade has certain implications.

28 pts
    11-17
    8 asts
    4 reb
    1 blk
    0 to
    37 min

Heck of a game for that kid.
    ZZZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coc Rhakalu View Post
    Not sure why encouraging your young SG to develop a midrange game is bad advice.
    not sure either since kobe and dwayne wade take about 5 shots a game from 3-15 feet.

Thanks
    Thanked 28,820 Times in 9,207 Posts

Mid-range game is a lost art. If Waiters can develop one, he'll be among only a few SG's that have one. Great advice from Scott and something that prolongs guys careers well after their athletic primes, especially if they can score from the high post. (See Jordan, Kobe, Barkley to name a few)
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 1,488 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    Mid-range game is a lost art. If Waiters can develop one, he'll be among only a few SG's that have one. Great advice from Scott and something that prolongs guys careers well after their athletic primes, especially if they can score from the high post. (See Jordan, Kobe, Barkley to name a few)
    And, his midrange game is where that fadeaway shot can be deadly for him. He's not gonna have as much space to operate in midrange, but that step back lean actually makes his shot unguardable, and he seems to hit em at a pretty good clip.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Leaping strong buildings!
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,369 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    Sorry, but it should be common knowledge by now that for 95% of players, the midrange jumper is the least efficient shot in basketball. Dion Waiters is no exception. If you think shooting more from midrange is going to help his efficiency, you're out of your mind.

Also, you note that it's a tool to prolong a player's career beyond their athletic prime. Can't Dion put that on hold for ten years and work on other parts of his game, like finishing at the rim, that would pay major dividends right now?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,300 Times in 1,879 Posts

Fine, the true LEAGUE AVERAGE (every player in the league) is 62.6%. Either way, my point still stands.

In any event, I'm done with this. It's pointless.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,300 Times in 1,879 Posts

Sorry, but it should be common knowledge by now that for 95% of players, the midrange jumper is the least efficient shot in basketball. Dion Waiters is no exception. If you think shooting more from midrange is going to help his efficiency, you're out of your mind.

Also, you note that it's a tool to prolong a player's career beyond their athletic prime. Can't Dion put that on hold for ten years and work on other parts of his game, like finishing at the rim, that would pay major dividends right now?
    Just because the mid-range game is the least efficient doesn't mean it should be ignored. Scott wants him to use it because it will open up other areas of the floor. Now, if Waiters starts taking a majority of his shots from 18-20 ft, then there's an issue. But you would still like him to have it in his arsenal to keep the defense honest.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,982 Times in 1,436 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    Just because the mid-range game is the least efficient doesn't mean it should be ignored. Scott wants him to use it because it will open up other areas of the floor. Now, if Waiters starts taking a majority of his shots from 18-20 ft, then there's an issue. But you would still like him to have it in his arsenal to keep the defense honest.
    It's true that the midrange shot does help keep defenses honest. Otherwise, defenses will merely pile in the paint as soon as a player with no midrange game passes the three-point line because they know that the ball is coming to the hoop or passed. Having a midrange game keep a player closer to the player the whole way through the defensive process, whether that is inside or outside the 3-pt line, thus making drives even easier.

I saw Dion miss an easy lay-up tonight. I asked myself, "how on earth did he miss that?" Dion has shown some elite slashing ability, but his finishing leaves things sour in the whole picture. I hope he figures things out.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Thanks

He is hearing the footsteps. probably his own. Until he figures out to tune that out. he will be inconsistent around the paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,038 Times in 3,540 Posts

That's not terrible advice in the least bit.

He's telling Dion to not depend on the ref's whistle, that he'll get those calls once he's established his game inside there, and that he shouldn't get discouraged & fall in love with the 3 ball when he doesn't get those calls.

I'm sure he's not discourging Dion from going to the rack, but encouraging him to expand his game & look to pull up instead of going to the rack expecting calls. Not sure what the terrible advice is there.

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    0 turnovers in 37 minutes as one of the primary ballhandlers...
    He's been very impressive taking care of the basketball, especially as you stated, being one of the primary ballhandlers on this team. He's averaging just 1.8 turnovers per game, has never had more than 3 turnovers in a game, and has just 9 turnovers in the 7 games where he's played 30+ minutes.
    Last edited by MoFlo; 11-24-2012 at 07:57 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 481 Posts

The shots will start to fall at a higher clip.. I'm damn impressed by his ability to create for himself and others. I can't fathom how we are so critical of his game, however. Has it been so long since we've had an actual SG that we don't know how to treat it?

I hope we start running him off screens.. I think he'll be deadly that way. Beal was touted as the "next Ray Allen," but to this point, Dion has actually fit the bill a lot more.. not that he will be Ray Allen, he is just the stereotype in terms of running a shooter off screens.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post: