Page 267 of 969 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277317367767 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,005 of 14529

Thread: Dion Waiters

  1. #3991
    Leaping strong buildings!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    3,226
    Thanked 5,251 Times in 1,723 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    "Scott has encouraged Waiters to look for midrange shots so the shooting guard isn't relying solely on his outside game or is at the mercy of waiting for a referee's whistle when he drives to the basket."

    Jesus, what terrible advice. If this is actually what Coach Scott is telling Dion to do I'm seriously concerned about him as a coach.

  2. #3992
    Catch the wave Yanni Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gimpsuit
    Posts
    10,918
    Thanks
    4,122
    Thanked 8,756 Times in 3,473 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S View Post
    "Scott has encouraged Waiters to look for midrange shots so the shooting guard isn't relying solely on his outside game or is at the mercy of waiting for a referee's whistle when he drives to the basket."

    Jesus, what terrible advice. If this is actually what Coach Scott is telling Dion to do I'm seriously concerned about him as a coach.
    Not sure why encouraging your young SG to develop a midrange game is bad advice.
    Ass pennies

  3. #3993
    A year later
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,479
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 719 Times in 310 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    You know who's looking amazing. Lillard. I think he's going to get ROY over Davis. On topic though, I would also like Waiters to try and get to the rim more. Being marked as a poor mans Wade has certain implications.

  4. #3994
    The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, oh
    Posts
    8,177
    Thanks
    2,259
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    You're using stats from this season, and you're including EVERY guard. There's a reason I looked at last year (a full, albeit shortened, season), and limited it to (all) guards that played at least 30 mpg.

    If you use just this year (SMALL SAMPLE SIZE), and you include every SG, no matter how many minutes, things are going to be skewed.
    you mean like dions 11 games? yet there is a total of 13 shooting guards that played 30 plus minutes per game last year. That is supposed to be representative of the league average? http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.as...&gp2=0&mins=30

    only 2 of which had a 60 efg from threes and only jason terry had a similar assisted rate.


    if your going to use the term league average. it should be the league average. Only ten shooting guards even averaged more than 3 shots at the rim a game.

    The most likely thing that will happen going forward is Dions fg% at the rim will increase and his efg from the three will decrease. as per your own words his sample size is too small to make a comparison
    Last edited by Homer Safari; 11-24-2012 at 12:54 AM.

  5. #3995
    Tonight's the night. B Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    4,284
    Thanks
    1,075
    Thanked 1,421 Times in 486 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by kookoo View Post
    You know who's looking amazing. Lillard. I think he's going to get ROY over Davis. On topic though, I would also like Waiters to try and get to the rim more. Being marked as a poor mans Wade has certain implications.

    28 pts
    11-17
    8 asts
    4 reb
    1 blk
    0 to
    37 min

    Heck of a game for that kid.
    ZZZ

  6. #3996
    The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, oh
    Posts
    8,177
    Thanks
    2,259
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Coc Rhakalu View Post
    Not sure why encouraging your young SG to develop a midrange game is bad advice.
    not sure either since kobe and dwayne wade take about 5 shots a game from 3-15 feet.

  7. #3997
    Or Also Schtick The Oi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,229
    Thanks
    26,807
    Thanked 30,577 Times in 9,744 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Mid-range game is a lost art. If Waiters can develop one, he'll be among only a few SG's that have one. Great advice from Scott and something that prolongs guys careers well after their athletic primes, especially if they can score from the high post. (See Jordan, Kobe, Barkley to name a few)
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

  8. #3998
    The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,232
    Thanks
    5,825
    Thanked 9,018 Times in 1,986 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    Mid-range game is a lost art. If Waiters can develop one, he'll be among only a few SG's that have one. Great advice from Scott and something that prolongs guys careers well after their athletic primes, especially if they can score from the high post. (See Jordan, Kobe, Barkley to name a few)
    And, his midrange game is where that fadeaway shot can be deadly for him. He's not gonna have as much space to operate in midrange, but that step back lean actually makes his shot unguardable, and he seems to hit em at a pretty good clip.

  9. #3999
    Leaping strong buildings!
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,313
    Thanks
    3,226
    Thanked 5,251 Times in 1,723 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    Mid-range game is a lost art. If Waiters can develop one, he'll be among only a few SG's that have one. Great advice from Scott and something that prolongs guys careers well after their athletic primes, especially if they can score from the high post. (See Jordan, Kobe, Barkley to name a few)
    Sorry, but it should be common knowledge by now that for 95% of players, the midrange jumper is the least efficient shot in basketball. Dion Waiters is no exception. If you think shooting more from midrange is going to help his efficiency, you're out of your mind.

    Also, you note that it's a tool to prolong a player's career beyond their athletic prime. Can't Dion put that on hold for ten years and work on other parts of his game, like finishing at the rim, that would pay major dividends right now?

  10. #4000
    Veteran Czvosec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Athens, OH/KC, MO
    Posts
    6,061
    Thanks
    2,547
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Fine, the true LEAGUE AVERAGE (every player in the league) is 62.6%. Either way, my point still stands.

    In any event, I'm done with this. It's pointless.

  11. #4001
    Veteran Czvosec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Athens, OH/KC, MO
    Posts
    6,061
    Thanks
    2,547
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S View Post
    Sorry, but it should be common knowledge by now that for 95% of players, the midrange jumper is the least efficient shot in basketball. Dion Waiters is no exception. If you think shooting more from midrange is going to help his efficiency, you're out of your mind.

    Also, you note that it's a tool to prolong a player's career beyond their athletic prime. Can't Dion put that on hold for ten years and work on other parts of his game, like finishing at the rim, that would pay major dividends right now?
    Just because the mid-range game is the least efficient doesn't mean it should be ignored. Scott wants him to use it because it will open up other areas of the floor. Now, if Waiters starts taking a majority of his shots from 18-20 ft, then there's an issue. But you would still like him to have it in his arsenal to keep the defense honest.

  12. #4002
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,328
    Thanks
    8,351
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    Just because the mid-range game is the least efficient doesn't mean it should be ignored. Scott wants him to use it because it will open up other areas of the floor. Now, if Waiters starts taking a majority of his shots from 18-20 ft, then there's an issue. But you would still like him to have it in his arsenal to keep the defense honest.
    It's true that the midrange shot does help keep defenses honest. Otherwise, defenses will merely pile in the paint as soon as a player with no midrange game passes the three-point line because they know that the ball is coming to the hoop or passed. Having a midrange game keep a player closer to the player the whole way through the defensive process, whether that is inside or outside the 3-pt line, thus making drives even easier.

    I saw Dion miss an easy lay-up tonight. I asked myself, "how on earth did he miss that?" Dion has shown some elite slashing ability, but his finishing leaves things sour in the whole picture. I hope he figures things out.

  13. #4003
    The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Columbus, oh
    Posts
    8,177
    Thanks
    2,259
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    He is hearing the footsteps. probably his own. Until he figures out to tune that out. he will be inconsistent around the paint.

  14. #4004
    Administrator MoFlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    11,232
    Thanks
    11,089
    Thanked 16,000 Times in 3,890 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S View Post
    "Scott has encouraged Waiters to look for midrange shots so the shooting guard isn't relying solely on his outside game or is at the mercy of waiting for a referee's whistle when he drives to the basket."

    Jesus, what terrible advice. If this is actually what Coach Scott is telling Dion to do I'm seriously concerned about him as a coach.
    That's not terrible advice in the least bit.

    He's telling Dion to not depend on the ref's whistle, that he'll get those calls once he's established his game inside there, and that he shouldn't get discouraged & fall in love with the 3 ball when he doesn't get those calls.

    I'm sure he's not discourging Dion from going to the rack, but encouraging him to expand his game & look to pull up instead of going to the rack expecting calls. Not sure what the terrible advice is there.

    Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    0 turnovers in 37 minutes as one of the primary ballhandlers...
    He's been very impressive taking care of the basketball, especially as you stated, being one of the primary ballhandlers on this team. He's averaging just 1.8 turnovers per game, has never had more than 3 turnovers in a game, and has just 9 turnovers in the 7 games where he's played 30+ minutes.
    Last edited by MoFlo; 11-24-2012 at 07:57 AM.

  15. #4005
    1234567890 Numbers Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    3,423
    Thanks
    862
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

    Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

    The shots will start to fall at a higher clip.. I'm damn impressed by his ability to create for himself and others. I can't fathom how we are so critical of his game, however. Has it been so long since we've had an actual SG that we don't know how to treat it?

    I hope we start running him off screens.. I think he'll be deadly that way. Beal was touted as the "next Ray Allen," but to this point, Dion has actually fit the bill a lot more.. not that he will be Ray Allen, he is just the stereotype in terms of running a shooter off screens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •