Page 273 of 973 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283323373773 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,095 of 14581

Thread: Dion Waiters

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,222 Times in 5,314 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That's looking at fit and not value. All things being equal, you go for fit. If for some reason you thought Lillard was going to have significantly more value in the NBA than Dion - and we weren't going to wreck it by having him backup Kyrie, then there is a decent argument to take him because value can always be leveraged.

I just think this line of reasoning all applies a lot better to Drummond moreso than Lillard. AD was a top prospect on everyone's radar, and various GMs had to convince themselves not to take him. Lillard like Dion wasn't seen as a top-5 pick.
    I'm not giving my own opinion, I'm just relaying what I had heard. I believe it was Sam Amico who mentioned in a RCF Podcast that the Cavs heavily scouted and discussed Lillard. It might have been Windy, at this point they sort of blended together for me.

I was hoping for Brad Beal and MKG leading up to the draft. I supported Drummond as my first choice after Davis most of last season, but the negative reports on his coachability just kept mounting. After the stalled success of JJ Hickson due to attitude, I backed off my support for Drummond.

I really liked Dion as a goal for a trade up with the second first round pick, but by April it appeared that Waiters was a rising prospect. I wrote somewhere on here that every team needs guys like Waiters who can swing between point guard and shooting guard, create for others but still score, shoot from the outside but still pick up fouls by driving. I thought there would be no way Waiters slid to a place the Cavs could grab him, but I'd be lying if I thought the Cavs would grab him as early as they did.
    “He (Dellavedova) was doin' too much.” ~Paul George, January 5th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    I really liked Dion as a goal for a trade up with the second first round pick, but by April it appeared that Waiters was a rising prospect. I wrote somewhere on here that every team needs guys like Waiters who can swing between point guard and shooting guard, create for others but still score, shoot from the outside but still pick up fouls by driving. I thought there would be no way Waiters slid to a place the Cavs could grab him, but I'd be lying if I thought the Cavs would grab him as early as they did.
    jrue holliday would be a great example for dion to follow when developing his game when you mention the importance of a combo guard on this team.
    http://realcavsfans.com/signaturepics/sigpic9395_2.gif

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RaptorFan For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

I wrote somewhere on here that every team needs guys like Waiters who can swing between point guard and shooting guard, create for others but still score, shoot from the outside but still pick up fouls by driving. I thought there would be no way Waiters slid to a place the Cavs could grab him, but I'd be lying if I thought the Cavs would grab him as early as they did.
    Do you mean a 6th man combo-guard type? Because your description also fits the prototypical 6'6" superstar SG that everyone has been looking for since Jordan and a number of modern PGs fit that description as well. Multi-talented players are always highly coveted.

Since the rule changes, there's certainly more demand for the tweener/combo-guards, but whether they actually enjoy an advantage is an interesting question. Certainly Kyrie has a lot easier time splitting a trap and dribbling around in the paint than say James did. It's just a lot easier for the smaller player to fit through spaces and maintain his dribble. That sure doesn't negate the advantages of size & strength, though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Do you mean a 6th man combo-guard type? Because your description also fits the prototypical 6'6" superstar SG that everyone has been looking for since Jordan and a number of modern PGs fit that description as well. Multi-talented players are always highly coveted.

Since the rule changes, there's certainly more demand for the tweener/combo-guards, but whether they actually enjoy an advantage is an interesting question. Certainly Kyrie has a lot easier time splitting a trap and dribbling around in the paint than say James did. It's just a lot easier for the smaller player to fit through spaces and maintain his dribble. That sure doesn't negate the advantages of size & strength, though.
    I was talking about a prototypical sixth man type. If Waiters were 6'6 he gets drafted before MKG. I was describing more of a Leandro Barbosa (in his prime) or a young Monta Ellis. Those guys could play off of their star point guards as shooting guards then take over point duties when Nash and Baron would take a break.

Waiters and his 2/1 assist to turnover ratio in college would have been great for a shooting guard, but as a true point guard he would have looked like a guy who needs to develop. The Cavs seem to have drafted him as a shooting guard but want him to develop his point guard skills later on. Waiters isn't getting any taller, but I was trying to express the need for positional flexibility with a star like Irving.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

I was describing more of a Leandro Barbosa (in his prime) or a young Monta Ellis. Those guys could play off of their star point guards as shooting guards then take over point duties when Nash and Baron would take a break.
    Yeah, those situations always seem to be more of a stop gap, as opposed to a desired solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,660 Posts

Waiters shooting percentage would be helped tremendously if he just freakin finishes his uncontested layups.

I haven't seen someone miss so many bunnies since David Wesley was in town. I just don't get it, he does an absolute great job in getting right to the rack and then plop blows it
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,054 Times in 1,581 Posts

This is getting ridiculous. He's not just missing average difficult layups anymore.... He is consistently missing WIDE OPEN layups. There is NO excuse for that. None. The guy just can't finish. Period. He has to improve this area TREMENDOUSLY or he will be a stiff in this league.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Its definitely psychological at this point.. the guy can obviously make lay ups.

I really, really like the Cavs running Dion off screens .. the shot isn't falling right now .. and he'll get the ball in better spots once Irving is back in the line up.. I'm definitely excited about that aspect.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Interestingly he started opposite Jarryd Bayless. When Waiters struggles, he looks a lot like Bayless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    This is getting ridiculous. He's not just missing average difficult layups anymore.... He is consistently missing WIDE OPEN layups. There is NO excuse for that. None. The guy just can't finish. Period. He has to improve this area TREMENDOUSLY or he will be a stiff in this league.
    It's a good thing he's a rookie who should have a few years to figure it out...
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MalTalm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,837 Times in 2,745 Posts

He's missing wide open bunnies. This isn't a finishing problem like Daniel Gibson, in which it's a serious detriment to his career. This is a finishing problem like Kyrie had a touch of last season, but just magnified because Dion isn't the remarkably polished, once in a decade superstar rookie that Kyrie was.

I'll make a sizeable donation to RCF if he's still missing them at this clip later in his career. It's just not going to continue. He's getting to the rack. That's the real story. The finishing will come.

IMPROVE TREMENDOUSLY from where you are at the beginning of your rookie season or you'll be A STIFF IN THIS LEAGUE.

People are so overdramatic about the young kids. Read what you've typed out before clicking "post".

16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    It's a good thing he's a rookie who should have a few years to figure it out...
    Being a rookie is not an excuse for missing wide open layups. Being a 6th grader is not an excuse for missing wide open layups.

Thanks

Being a rookie is not an excuse for missing wide open layups. Being a 6th grader is not an excuse for missing wide open layups.
    Come back to me when the 6th grader is trying to shake the natural tendency to look over his shoulder for the multiple 7 footers trying to block his layup.

ROOKIE.

Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrich91 View Post
    He's missing wide open bunnies. This isn't a finishing problem like Daniel Gibson, in which it's a serious detriment to his career. This is a finishing problem like Kyrie had a touch of last season, but just magnified because Dion isn't the remarkably polished, once in a decade superstar rookie that Kyrie was.

I'll make a sizeable donation to RCF if he's still missing them at this clip later in his career. It's just not going to continue. He's getting to the rack. That's the real story. The finishing will come.

IMPROVE TREMENDOUSLY from where you are at the beginning of your rookie season or you'll be A STIFF IN THIS LEAGUE.

People are so overdramatic about the young kids. Read what you've typed out before clicking "post".

Sorry, I forgot guys miss wide open layups because they are rookies. Not because he doesn't have a left hand, touch, or isn't too athletic.

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot guys miss wide open layups because they are rookies. Not because he doesn't have a left hand, touch, or isn't too athletic.
    I'm sitting here watching the game and just laughing at you right now. Just laughing.

DUDE CAN'T MAKE LAYUPS!!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post: