Page 286 of 970 FirstFirst ... 186236276284285286287288296336386786 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,290 of 14543

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 671 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    Name one of those things that isn't true. Dion is all of those things I listed and so was Hughes.
    I don't think it's a terrible comparison, but it's very simplified. I think he's a better shooter than Hughes - it's just that he (Dion) takes bad shots. It also seems to me that Dion is far better at getting in the lane and distributing the ball than Hughes.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    Hughes wasn't a great passer and his only real offensive skill was slashing. He was miscast as a point guard here even though distributing the ball clearly wasn't his strength. Blame that on Mike Brown or Danny Ferry.

Seriously...the highest assists Hughes averaged in Cleveland was 3.7, and that was playing almost 40 minutes a game. He was not a point guard and passing was not one of his strengths.

Again... I am saying that Dion Waiters NOW, compares to Cleveland Larry Hughes.

You just said Hughes averaged 3.7 assists as his high in CLE. Dion is at 3.4. Seems pretty damn similar to me. And that was with Hughes not being the primary ball-handler because of LeBron. Dion has had the ball in his hands way more often than Larry did and is still averaging basically the same amount of assists.

Dion is shooting 36% and 35% from 3. Larry in CLE was about 39% and 34% from 3. Again, very similar.

Both players jump shots were streaky and FAR from fundamental. Not sure that could be argued. Larry and Dion both shot long jump shots early in the shot clock that drove people insane.

Luckily Dion is doing this during his rookie year and not his 8th year in the league like Hughes was. But that wasn't my point. My point is Dion right now is VERY, VERY similar to Cleveland Larry Hughes.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    Larry Hughes never even cracked the 25% barrier from 3 his first 4 seasons in the NBA. He averaged 1.5 assists his first 2 years in the NBA. He averaged 9.5 ppg his first 2 seasons. I also think Dion is a superior defender to a young Hughes.
    Again, I am talking about Larry Hughes in Cleveland. Obviously, Dion is far ahead of rookie Larry Hughes.

Quote Originally Posted by MDLT View Post
    I don't think it's a terrible comparison, but it's very simplified. I think he's a better shooter than Hughes - it's just that he (Dion) takes bad shots. It also seems to me that Dion is far better at getting in the lane and distributing the ball than Hughes.
    A of right now, Dion is not a better shooter than Hughes was in Cleveland. Dion's shooting %'s are terrible. Will they improve with better shot selection? Of course..... but so would have Hughes'.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Larry Hughes was a slasher, though.. Dion's really not.

They're both bricking contested shots, defending, passing at a decent clip .. that makes them the same player?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    Again, I am talking about Larry Hughes in Cleveland. Obviously, Dion is far ahead of rookie Larry Hughes.

A of right now, Dion is not a better shooter than Hughes was in Cleveland. Dion's shooting %'s are terrible. Will they improve with better shot selection? Of course..... but so would have Hughes'.
    I just think Hughes had a low percentage primarily b/c he was a bad shooter, whereas it seems Dion is a low-percentage shooter primarily b/c he takes bad shots. Obviously, Dion is not a great shooter but I think he's better than Larry.

More than anything though, Dion must avoid Hughes' uncanny ability to get injured.
    Last edited by MDLT; 12-02-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,213 Times in 5,309 Posts

I don't know if it was posted, but a nice video just went up on NBA.com two days ago:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...ks-waiters.nba
    “He (Dellavedova) was doin' too much.” ~Paul George, January 5th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers Guy View Post
    Larry Hughes was a slasher, though.. Dion's really not.
    Just hearing those words makes me cringe even to this day...

The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    Seeing Dion's play without Kyrie compared to his time with him I am beginning to think they are not terribly compatible.

Dion has been far more engaged in the game (even with his poor shooting) without Kyrie on the floor with him than he really ever was with him.

Now that he is more of a primary ball handler there is less standing around on the 3 pt line watching Kyrie just waiting for a pass to fire something up.

He works harder now to get into the lane, and it has brought his passing out.

I am not saying that can't ever learn to play together, but the team's ball movement and overall movement on that side of the ball have been light years ahead of where they were before the injury.

I would prefer to see Dion continue what he has been doing and Kyrie adapt when he gets back than going back to the way things were pre-injury.

We didn't realize it at the time because we thought it as just that his teammates sucked, but Kyrie had become somewhat of a ball-stopper on offense.

Now that we know they are capable of at least being decent/competitive, it is important Scott demand more accountability from Kyrie as far as keeping the offense moving the way Dion/Pargo have in his absence.
    how about we let Irving and Waiters share a backcourt for more than 10 games before we decide if their compatible or not.

Right now you have two guys in the back court who can draw double teams.

In a small Sample Irving is already getting more assisted shots this year indicating that he is working on moving without the ball. There hasnt been any indication that Irving and Dion isnt compatible together. if anything it was galaringly obvious last year Dion is exactly the type of backcourt mate Irving needs.

Also the offense is not better. the team is improving which they would do with or without Irving.If anything irvings absence just demonstrates that this is a team and not a one man show

et (Per 100 Poss)
    Rk Lineup Tm MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% eFG% FTA FT% PTS TRB% AST STL
    1 A. Gee | K. Irving | T. Thompson | A. Varejao | D. Waiters CLE 178:59 +4.2 +11.3 -.011 +1.4 -5.0 +.150 -.008 +7.4 -.032 +14.7 +14.7 -5.3 +3.2
    2 A. Gee | J. Pargo | T. Thompson | A. Varejao | D. Waiters CLE 98:49 -1.6 +5.1 -.042 +1.0 +4.7 -.061 -.040 +0.3 +.221 +2.7 +7.8 -1.4 +0.6

Thanks

Hate to express the concern but of the back court duo, maybe Kyrie is the guy we should be more worried about at this point, not Dion. Always injured, no defense, role players playing better without him on the court. I just hope he is not a fool's gold type of player, someone who puts up great numbers but doesn't really improve the team.

The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    Watch the games a little instead of playing with computer statistics.

To anyone who has watched the games (and not box scores) since Kyrie has been hurt, the ball movement with this team is night and day. That doesn't show up in your computer simulations, but it does when you watch the games.

It is not coincidence the bench started to shows signs of life only when Kyrie got hurt.

Everyone is involved out there and the ball is moving. That gets those guys in the flow of the game, and it is why they haven't looked so inept.

There are alot of intangible things that have been happening out there your spread sheet isn't going to see.
    I have watched every game. Dions ability to bring up the ball was being displayed from his first game on. yes the team did sometime tend to watch irving but that was a the team as a whole. Andy is doing the same things he was before Irving got hurt. facillitating from the high post.

the teama s a whole is improving they were improving with Irving on the court. This isnt a bunch of veterans or even a situation like the knicks when carmelo got hurt and the team played beetter. this is a young team growing and one that will be better when irving returns to the court.

it isnt dion vs kyrie like your making it out to see its dion and kyrie vs the NBa and teams were already getting scared when the lineup was spanking brand new and considerbly much rawer.

I dont base my conclusions on stats. I support my conclusions with stats. theres a key difference.

are irving and Waiters going to have some growing pains? absolutely.

I just bought a house.. its rather financially favorable.so maybe i can start posting with actual video. Cavs and their fans have better things to do than chasing phantoms. theres enough real things they need to work on than to manufacture them.

The team playing well without Irving is a good thing. no need to try and twist it into a bad thing.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,772 Times in 945 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Baseline Runner View Post
    Hate to express the concern but of the back court duo, maybe Kyrie is the guy we should be more worried about at this point, not Dion. Always injured, no defense, role players playing better without him on the court. I just hope he is not a fool's gold type of player, someone who puts up great numbers but doesn't really improve the team.
    One of his biggest knocks coming out was that he sometimes got too caught up in his ability to dribble the basketball. I think he's such a natural scorer too and it's easy to fall in love with your ability to humiliate the opponent, which he's admittedly enjoys doing. The Rookie Sophmore game was really incredible, and I think that's a side of him that nobody could have seen coming (the Larry Bird like jumpshot that was going in before he even elevated and took the shot). His confidence is impressive to say the least, he's athletic enough, but what separates him from the rest is his calm and confidence. He can make it happen.

He seems like the type that will try to outscore you, rather than stop you, because that's in his benefit. But he's killing our defense so badly than it's diminishing his effect on the court. If he can bulk up, take some calcium supplements, lift weights, improve his bone density, etc his presence would be magnified so much more on the court. He's killed people on the court his whole life becaue of talent and skill with a solid athletic base. If he were to build his body like MJ he could be incredible in the future. The ability to take the pounding in the post, on his acrobatic dives to the hoop he'd be so much less susceptible to injuries. (does that even make sense)

I guess what im sayin is, he's athletic enough. If he put on some quality mass, he could become a serviceable defender. Despite him being around 6-3 6-4, he doesn't seem to have that Gary Payton style nasty streak to harass people on defense. Kyries too talented, he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. If he accepts the challenge, who knows, in the future it's not out of the realm to think that he has the ability to become the very best PG in the league, it's within the realm of possibility. Does he want it? or is he blessed with enough talent already and he'll coast on it. Shall be interesting to see. Kyrie and Dion can learn a thing from one another. Dion teach Kyrie how to stick to your man like a fly trap, and Kyrie teaches Dion how to put some special sauce on his finishes around the rim.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    One of his biggest knocks coming out was that he sometimes got too caught up in his ability to dribble the basketball. I think he's such a natural scorer too and it's easy to fall in love with your ability to humiliate the opponent, which he's admittedly enjoys doing. The Rookie Sophmore game was really incredible, and I think that's a side of him that nobody could have seen coming (the Larry Bird like jumpshot that was going in before he even elevated and took the shot). His confidence is impressive to say the least, he's athletic enough, but what separates him from the rest is his calm and confidence. He can make it happen.

He seems like the type that will try to outscore you, rather than stop you, because that's in his benefit. But he's killing our defense so badly than it's diminishing his effect on the court. If he can bulk up, take some calcium supplements, lift weights, improve his bone density, etc his presence would be magnified so much more on the court. He's killed people on the court his whole life becaue of talent and skill with a solid athletic base. If he were to build his body like MJ he could be incredible in the future. The ability to take the pounding in the post, on his acrobatic dives to the hoop he'd be so much less susceptible to injuries. (does that even make sense)

I guess what im sayin is, he's athletic enough. If he put on some quality mass, he could become a serviceable defender. Despite him being around 6-3 6-4, he doesn't seem to have that Gary Payton style nasty streak to harass people on defense. Kyries too talented, he doesn't want to get his hands dirty. If he accepts the challenge, who knows, in the future it's not out of the realm to think that he has the ability to become the very best PG in the league, it's within the realm of possibility. Does he want it? or is he blessed with enough talent already and he'll coast on it. Shall be interesting to see. Kyrie and Dion can learn a thing from one another. Dion teach Kyrie how to stick to your man like a fly trap, and Kyrie teaches Dion how to put some special sauce on his finishes around the rim.

Yeah Kyrie doesn't need to be a great defender just an average one.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,048 Times in 3,423 Posts

Good news: guy can score and defend.

Bad news: it takes him a million shots to score.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,660 Posts

There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    That's an elite first step right there. He went from a slow jog speed around the perimeter to a fast pace while turning at a 90-degree angle in one step. The two defenders he spit had no time to react.