Page 288 of 972 FirstFirst ... 188238278286287288289290298338388788 ... LastLast
Results 4,306 to 4,320 of 14569

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 10,808 Times in 3,080 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - LHLD

@PDcavsinsider
    Dion Waiters did not make the trip to Minnesota. Remains in Cleveland to rehab sprained left ankle

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 902 Posts

Funny that it is his 3's that have been so effective. If I had guessed I would have said all the misses at the rim that Andy, Tristan, and even Gee have put back.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    @PDcavsinsider
    Dion Waiters did not make the trip to Minnesota. Remains in Cleveland to rehab sprained left ankle
    damnit, the team is near unwatchable with him and kyrie out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mhi For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

@PDcavsinsider

(Just replace the word "show" with "tank" every time)

The tank must go on!

(On a sidenote, what a fucked up music video!)
    Last edited by Free Agency God; 12-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Perhaps a reread of the article is in order then.
    He mentions that Asik is a good rebounder. He doesn't say whether he's a good offensive rebounder. Checking his per36 rates and ORB%, he's pretty good. But we're still not there yet, because what the author's point is that a low % of Harden's misses do not result in put backs.

To delve in to that issue you have to know a) how many of Harden's misses does Asik actually rebound, b) where does he typically get his hands on them, and c) how good is he at scoring from those positions.

Put all that together and there might be a conclusion to draw - or I suppose it might even be easier to just watch some Rockets games and just see what's going on. Hah! j/k ... who'd want to do that?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    What I love is that as a rookie he is already getting intoarticles like this. Half of this forum didn't think this kid would amount to anything when he was drafted, but aside from being mega-talented, he seems to be an intangibles player doing all of the little things right.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,578 Times in 9,745 Posts

Even after reading the article, it seems to me that the "Kobe assist" is a function of the rebounders on that team and the timing of the shot ie whether the rebounders are in position.

For example, if you threw a bunch of 5'9 guys on the floor for the Lakers, would Kobe have nearly as many "Kobe assists?" No. If you threw Larry Hughes out there with Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard and other quality rebounders and had him take the exact same shot, he should theoretically have the exact same amount of assists...because of who is out there.

What my point is, is that the guy missing the shots could easily be replaced and come up with a similar result, whereas the rebounders cannot.

I don't see any creedence in the stat as applies to anything other than the quality of rebounders on the team.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    Even after reading the article, it seems to me that the "Kobe assist" is a function of the rebounders on that team and the timing of the shot ie whether the rebounders are in position.

For example, if you threw a bunch of 5'9 guys on the floor for the Lakers, would Kobe have nearly as many "Kobe assists?" No. If you threw Larry Hughes out there with Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard and other quality rebounders and had him take the exact same shot, he should theoretically have the exact same amount of assists...because of who is out there.

What my point is, is that the guy missing the shots could easily be replaced and come up with a similar result, whereas the rebounders cannot.

I don't see any creedence in the stat as applies to anything other than the quality of rebounders on the team.
    I agree, and they already have a stat for this kind of situations, its called the rebound and "rewards" the right player (who gets the ball, not who misses).
    The Cavs in Portugal!

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

I'm not dismissing his idea, I just don't think he actually demonstrated it. There are sooo many factors that go in to deciding whether you get an offensive rebound and put it back - and many of them do depend on the shooter - and many of them don't. Sorting it out is the trick.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,578 Times in 9,745 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I'm not dismissing his idea, I just don't think he actually demonstrated it. There are sooo many factors that go in to deciding whether you get an offensive rebound and put it back - and many of them do depend on the shooter - and many of them don't. Sorting it out is the trick.
    You might not be dismissing it, but I am.

The only factors I can determine that are influenced by the shooter are:

(1) whether he waits until rebounders are in position
    (2) the trajectory of the shot
    (3) the spacing changes that result from him loading up and taking a shot

Factor 3 seems to be the most applicable. If you're a great shooter, you migh draw a rebounder out of the paint AND draw your defender out to close on your shot. That creates space for one of your rebounders to get in for an o board.

With reason 1, it's senseless for catch and shoot guys to wait until rebounders are in place because he misses an opportunity to take a clean shot, which is extraordinarily difficult to achieve in the NBA. Defenders are too big and fast at the NBA level to pass up an open shot to wait for rebounders to get in position.

Reason 2 is unreliable. There's only a handful of guys in the NBA at any given time that say they can truly predict where a ball will go based on trajectory out of the shooter's hand and the angle it first hits at. And even then, anticipating those things doesn't guarantee it if you're up against another player that's a great rebounder and can do the same thing. And again...this still has more to do with the rebounder than the shooter. Nobody is intentionally taking shots to miss a certain way. They take shots that have the best chance of going in the hoop and it's left to the rebounder to anticipate where the ball is going.

I understand the idea...I just disagree that it's a useful stat.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

You might not be dismissing it, but I am.

The only factors I can determine that are influenced by the shooter are:

(1) whether he waits until rebounders are in position
    Number one is definitely valid. Out of rhythm, unexpected, perhaps contested jumpers early in the shot clock generally means that we won't have rebounders in good position. Not saying that passing up a good shot to wait for rebounders to get in position is preferred....but lots of players take BAD shots when rebounders aren't in position, and that is a bad thing. See: CJ Miles.
    i like jorts

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks

I think the loss of Dion is as big as the loss of Kyrie. We might complain about his shot selection but there is no question as the last few games have demonstrated we are not the same when he is not on the floor. He draws a lot of attention from the opposing team allowing our bigs to wonder around and collect garbage via the assist or off the wild shot. He is definately worthy of a top pick although Drummond may end up being more valuable in the end.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,808 Times in 3,080 Posts

From MSB

"Talking to Dion, he wants to play [Saturday], but I just don't see it, watching him walk,'' Scott said. "The other thing is, I've always believed that when a player comes back, he has to have a full day of practice, too. His first chance of doing that would be Monday. So we'll see how it goes.''

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,041 Times in 902 Posts

One thing he does that might help is taking the 3 behind The screen instead of wide open. That means 2 defenders are out of the paint.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cavatt For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

From MSB

"Talking to Dion, he wants to play [Saturday], but I just don't see it, watching him walk,'' Scott said. "The other thing is, I've always believed that when a player comes back, he has to have a full day of practice, too. His first chance of doing that would be Monday. So we'll see how it goes.''
    He may not be back until the end of next week or later. He had a pretty severe ankle sprain from the looks of it when it happened. I wouldn't be surprised if both Kyrie and Dion come back in the same game, but I think that Dion will come back 2-3 games before Kyrie does.