Page 311 of 864 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361411811 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,665 of 12953

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 476 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - RHLD

I'm not sure why they want him to emulate James Harden. He only takes threes or goes to the rack. You really don't see harden utilize a mid range game at all, something scott says he wants to see from Dion, maybe scott is a little confused; he is also much bigger than Dion. Dion has always been more like Russell Westbrook to me (low field goal percentage and all). Their physical attributes are pretty similar, with Russ obviously being a bit more explosive and a better leaper and Dion being a little heavier and less lengthy. They have a very similar game as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TyGuy For This Useful Post:

Its supposed to hurt RealKingofCleve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    So, in other words, the exception is players generally improve with more time in the league, while the rule is you come in as good as you'll ever be? Not sure where you're getting that. The exception is usually a guy like Kyrie, who comes in and immediately produces at an all-star level.

I think what we are seeing is that a player's role plays a much bigger factor in their production than people are willing to admit. When a player doesn't perform, we automatically jump to, "Well, he's not good enough." Sometimes we do acknowledge how a player's role affects their play, but that tends to happen only after a player performs well on another team (think Danny Green). With Dion, the kid is being asked to do A LOT offensively. Possibly more than any other rookie, aside from Damian Lillard. And if we're being perfectly honest in assessing this team, one conclusion you have to come to is that Dion simply isn't ready for the role he's being asked to play. That's not necessarily a coaching mistake; the roster limits Scott's options. Its not necessarily a development mistake; we've seen numerous players asked to play a role they aren't ready for for and eventually grow into it (Russell Westbrook comes to mind). Its simply a fact that we, as fans of an excruciatingly young team, have to come to grips with.

We can lament Dion's percentages all we want, but the fact is he's in a role that he's not quite ready for. Maybe he won't ever grow into it, but I feel as though we've seen enough from him to at least be optimistic.
    Actually a lot of players do not grow much from their rookie year. Generally low percentage shooters remain low percentage shooters. Kemba Walker took a second year leap so large it does not happen very often. But I'm not saying he's going to bust, I am just skeptical that he is going to develop into what the Cavs need.

And people keep pulling this 'flashes' argument out of their ass. Almost every player in the league has the skills to put together a flash of something special here or there. See Ramon Sessions rookie year, or even a couple games Leuer had. Means almost nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I'm not sure why they want him to emulate James Harden. He only takes threes or goes to the rack. You really don't see harden utilize a mid range game at all, something scott says he wants to see from Dion, maybe scott is a little confused; he is also much bigger than Dion. Dion has always been more like Russell Westbrook to me (low field goal percentage and all). Their physical attributes are pretty similar, with Russ obviously being a bit more explosive and a better leaper and Dion being a little heavier and less lengthy. They have a very similar game as well.
    I feel like it partly has to do with the no-calls on the offensive end. With Dion being a rookie, plus being on the Cavaliers(double whammy,) he isn't going to get alot of calls yet. Everytime he drives it seems like he gets completely mauled and I think he has a better chance if he takes those shots.. Not a good habit, but nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,205 Posts

I like Waiters coming off the bench. He is clearly more effective and dominant when the ball is in his hands, and this way he can act as the unquestioned leader of the offense when Kyrie sits.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    Did you watch him a lot in college? I didn't, but the research I did on him after he was drafted told me that he has excellent finishing skills in him.

But like I said, I didn't watch him in college so if you did, I'll happily plead ignorance.

What I have seen at the Nba level is an amazing ability for him to split coverage, cross guys up and get the to the rim. What I DON'T see is the desire or confidence yet, and as a 20 year old rookie, that is the coaches job to get him to do that. Right now a lot of his struggles I hang on Scott's shoulders.
    I watched every game of his in college and he struggled to finish. I thought he could of used another year of college to work on it before he got to the pro's where it's gonna be A LOT more difficult to do

Thanks

I wont give my judgement on Dions rookie year until the end... perfect example would be Steph Curry... showed flashes at first but didnt really pick up until the last third of the season. I believe Jennings and Tyrke Evans were the "big time player" out of that draft because he dropped like 41 in a game early in the season and Evans was having a LeBron like rookie year. Also Harden and Blake Griffin were in that draft class... Hmmm... who is the better players now?

I just really think people are so spoiled because we have seen what the rare special players are like their rookie years (Lebron and Kyrie) and forget how most rookies usually are. I mean really you can say there is one or two SPECIAL players from this draft... meaning Superstar potential right off the bat. Lillard and Anthony... the rest are just normal rookies right now and are going thru the grind of trying to find their way in this league and get use to the speed and length of the NBA. agreed?
    Last edited by ClevelandOwnz; 01-02-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandOwnz View Post
    I wont give my judgement on Dions rookie year until the end... perfect example would be Steph Curry... showed flashes at first but didnt really pick up until the last third of the season. I believe Jennings was the "big time player" out of that draft because he dropped like 41 in a game early in the season. Hmmm... who is the better player now?

I just really think people are so spoiled because we have seen what the rare special players are like their rookie years (Lebron and Kyrie) and forget how most rookies usually are. I mean really you can say there is one or two SPECIAL players from this draft... meaning Superstar potential right off the bat. Lillard and Anthony... the rest are just normal rookies right now and are going thru the grind of trying to find their way in this league and get use to the speed and length of the NBA. agreed?
    Haha, Brandon Jennings dropped 55 in his 7th game. I don't think he's come near that since then.

Thanks

Exactly... i added somethings to my original post... but seriously people thought Jennings and Evans were the two best players out of that draft.... now they are just rotation players... some guys just take a little time to get into the NBA speed. If dion works on his shot (which i know he will) and build his confidence.. you can tell he will be a really good player. 2nd or Third option for sure.

Thanks

Fred McLeod @CavsFredMcLeod

Dion says coming off bench was fine, doing whatever team needs..felt he was being aggressive

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,129 Times in 383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TyGuy View Post
    I share your skepticism regarding the notion that Dion should be trying to emulate Harden, but Westbrook? Westbrook is more than a bit more explosive than Dion. Westbrook is an absolutely electric athlete - one of the best in the league - while Dion is not.
    Last edited by STAT; 01-02-2013 at 10:45 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,545 Posts

He's not a Westbrook type athlete, but Dion looks like he is in better shape then the beginning of the year. He's started to show some nice hops recently with his dunks lately. Missed an absolute highreel dunk tonight against the Kings.

Now if he can get those left handed layup drills going, I think the finishing will come.
    Last edited by Pioneer10; 01-02-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,853 Times in 1,879 Posts

THAT is Dion's role.

Perfect use for him, he looked like he was not afraid to take over and do what he does best. Kyrie will get back to being more aggressive with CJ and Gee out there as opposed to Waiters. And as the 6th man, the team can afford to Waiters play freely with irrational confidence that every shot will go in.

I say let him settle into that role, let him finish games more often than not so he keeps his confidence, and draft BPA outside of PG this summer. Also, keep all options open for upgrading SG, SF, PF and C through trade and FA going into the summer.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,577 Times in 4,830 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RchfldCavRaised View Post
    let him finish games more often than not
    I hope so....didn't like bringing in Miles with 3 mins to go tonight.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,262 Times in 839 Posts

Jason Lloyd seems to think Dion wasn't too happy.
    +
    Jason Lloyd
    Featured
    Waiters not happy with new role, but won't complain about it either

Four times in less than 3 minutes, Waiters in some form referenced "just playing hard" and "doing whatever my team needs me to do."

But his body language said he isn't happy with his new role as a reserve, something Byron Scott flatly confessed before the game.

"I’m not going to sit here and talk about it," Waiters said of the benching. "I just tried to go out there and help my team as much as I can."

Waiters had 20 points on 8 of 19 shooting, but made a strong recovery after starting the night 2 of 8.

Boss of all Bosses Goldin Brown's Avatar
    Thanks

Sixth man is clearly the best role for Dion, its been obvious for a while. Hope he learns to be embrace it.