Page 317 of 971 FirstFirst ... 217267307315316317318319327367417817 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 14561

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,660 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - RHLD

Not sure I buy the doghouse idea completely: he's actually played well the last two games since being moved to the bench. Could see Scott though trying in any single game sending a message about a poor defensive rotation/effort. He does tend to do that and I suspect Dion will get more minutes next game.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 785 Posts

This is the post from Max that I was pointing out

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    I think it's worth mentioning, because it seems to be getting ignored, but Dion's ankle injury was a big setback. These were the 6 games before the injury-

21pts/7rebs
    16pts/3rebs/7asst
    15ps/3asst/4steals
    16pts/2 asst
    25pts/5rebs/3asst
    16pts/4rebs/6asst

Yeah, his shooting % was off, but he was really starting to produce and get more comfortable. The ankle injury was pretty bad and I think he came back too early. He tweaked it again in the Bos game, twice more in the Wash game and once again in the Atl game...he NEVER should have played in the Brooklyn game last Saturday. He really needed the 3 day break he just had...should have been 4 days rest in my opinion.

I'm not sold on him coming off the bench, I just think he needs to get 100% healthy again...he's close. He also has to take the 3's when open. He missed his first 14 after the ankle injury because he was shooting off 1-1/2 legs. I think the 3 will be a nice weapon for him and he has to take it. What he HAS to start doing is taking more mid-range shots. He hits them consistantly in practice, he has to work them into his game.

Not having Andy has really hurt our guards too.

Thanks

Not sure if it's a benchable offense, but I was taken aback by Dion not making any attempt to score at the end of the 3rd (at the buzzer after he, admittedly, made a great defensive stop in transition). He looked up at the clock with about 3 seconds left at 3/4 court with no one in front of him and pulled back. It seemed especially odd considering his disregard for shooting percentage thus far.

I may be going out on a limb, but I feel like if I noticed it then the team must've noticed as well - and it wasn't exactly the sort of thing that inspires confidence.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Henry Tuttle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Waiters is getting out played by cj miles. I hope it's the ankle, but right now he doesn't belong in the nba the way he's playing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 785 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oasis05 View Post
    Waiters is getting out played by cj miles. I hope it's the ankle, but right now he doesn't belong in the nba the way he's playing.
    Statements like this are asinine for so many reasons

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KB For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Not sure if serious. He's a rookie and will improve. Same with TT, some people here nearly gave up on him last season. You can't expect Dion coming in and playing a flawless rookie season. Waiters has not even played a third of an Nba season, his shot selection will improve, at least I hope so.
    As a comparison, James Harden also shot only 38% in his first 30 games in the Nba...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 705 Posts

To all the people that think Waiters is a bust or couldn't be a starter on a contending team eventually, what do you think of Bradley Beal?

Just genuinely asking a question. Interested in the thought process of people.
    "You drew a picture of my morning, but you couldn't make my day."
    -Naughty by Nature

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Biw For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Biw View Post
    To all the people that think Waiters is a bust or couldn't be a starter on a contending team eventually, what do you think of Bradley Beal?

Just genuinely asking a question. Interested in the thought process of people.
    I think Beal (and MKG for that matter) are younger and have a year less NCAA experience - and that matters. I think Beal has played without a PG, and he's exactly the sort of player you bring in to play off a PG or playmaker. I also think I haven't watched him nearly as much as I've watched Dion, but he's certainly due more patience given his circumstances.

When it comes to scoring ability and efficiency there are still a lot of question marks from the draft class that haven't been answered. There is evidence that the "it" factor that everyone said MKG had, is actually there, and he does help win games inspite of a shaky jumper.

When we compare Dion's upside to Ben Gordon, that's generally taken as a condemnation of his game, but as we saw last night there are certainly instances where Gordon can put up a huge game and be all but unstoppable in the right circumstances. What Dion can do to surpass Gordon would be to learn to be a decent defender. It doesn't matter how much you score if you give it all right back to the other team.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Beal also sucks. May be more than waiters thus far. That's still no excuse for waiters with as much of a usage percentage as he has he is the reason the cavs are as bad as they are. In a way I guess it's okay, the more bricks he puts up the higher our pick goes.

Thanks

I don't think Thompson was as bad his rookie season as waiters has been. Thompson showed he could rebound and defend. We knew he had offensive shortcomings. Waiters came in with a polished offensive game and has been overwhelmed.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

@oasis05

You're insane if you think Thompson had a better rookie year to this point in the season, he was AWFUL for the first half...started coming on the second half

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,520 Times in 4,041 Posts

Did you watch the game last night? I was at it. Kid looked great in the first half.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 Times in 775 Posts

I really hope 18 minutes for Waiters isn't a trend. The point that were at as a team, we need to develop Waiters. Even if it's not pretty, we need to see what this kid has. We need to seem him take his lumps.

For the record, I don't think Waiters will continue getting so few minutes. Honestly, with the team playing the second game of a back to back and Waiters being used sparingly last night, I'd expect Waiters to get 28-30 minutes tonight.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,577 Times in 9,744 Posts

Beal also sucks.
    No.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    I really hope 18 minutes for Waiters isn't a trend. The point that were at as a team, we need to develop Waiters. Even if it's not pretty, we need to see what this kid has. We need to seem him take his lumps.

For the record, I don't think Waiters will continue getting so few minutes. Honestly, with the team playing the second game of a back to back and Waiters being used sparingly last night, I'd expect Waiters to get 28-30 minutes tonight.
    I get the feeling we will definitely see more Dion tonight. The Rockets have some nice backcourt depth and play at a pretty high tempo. Tonight seems like a night Dion may be able to shine a little bit. Of course, he is an inconsistant rook, but the cards seem to be set up for him to play well. I think the chip on his shoulder is growing by the day, and that seems to be a good thing for his game. HOU isn't exactly a defensive dynamo either. I'm gonna go out on a small limb and say Dion impresses tonight.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post: