Page 321 of 986 FirstFirst ... 221271311319320321322323331371421821 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 14784

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 24,014 Times in 5,315 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - RHLD

I deleted some "Waiters trade scenario" posts.

Imagining trades involving Waiters can go in another thread (in a different forum). It's why the other forums exist.
    Last edited by wuck; 01-08-2013 at 12:08 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    He was atacking alot in pick and roll but there were 3 times where he settled for a stupid 3. He also had about 3 nice passes that didnt turn to a assist cause his teammates wouldnt finish. Another thing was his defense on hamilton was great he played him well in the post.
    Dion definitely settled (albeit less) a couple times tonight, but he was actually credited for only one 3pt attempt. Not that 21 footers are much better, but I guess it's babysteps.
    Last edited by Henry Tuttle; 01-07-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

FWIW, I'm not putting too much misery on Dion. He's not exactly in the best situation. I just wish this offense wasn't so damn miserable and Dion could take his lumps whilst learning how to play off the ball. I like that BS has put the ball in his hands a bit more as of late, but that should mixed in with him learning how to play off Kyrie better. Dion's got a ton of potential. I would just love to see some of his game come out of an actual offense instead of just iso bs and what not.

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,882 Times in 984 Posts

Tonight was a perfect example of a boxscore saying one thing and seeing the game saying something else. I thought Waiters was terrible tonight. Too often he ignored teammates and held the ball dribbling down the shot clock before forcing a shot. Did it repeatedly in the 3rd quarter.
    It's great if players have confidence in their abilities but they also need to watch and not be overconfident or delusional about their actual ability.
    I'm not at all writing him off or saying he won't develop. He does have a ways to go though and needs to get a few things out of his game to be as good as he could be.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    Tonight was a perfect example of a boxscore saying one thing and seeing the game saying something else. I thought Waiters was terrible tonight. Too often he ignored teammates and held the ball dribbling down the shot clock before forcing a shot. Did it repeatedly in the 3rd quarter.
    It's great if players have confidence in their abilities but they also need to watch and not be overconfident or delusional about their actual ability.
    I'm not at all writing him off or saying he won't develop. He does have a ways to go though and needs to get a few things out of his game to be as good as he could be.
    And this is such a large part of the coaching, or lack thereof, this team is getting. Byron has continually just let these guys go all street ball. I can't for the life of me understand it. For all the speak of Byron talking about guys needing to know the plays...well, BS, where the hell are the plays??? I can't fault Dion for going all iso all the time when the HC just watches him do it game after game after game.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,464 Times in 1,772 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmknJoe7 View Post
    And this is such a large part of the coaching, or lack thereof, this team is getting. Byron has continually just let these guys go all street ball. I can't for the life of me understand it. For all the speak of Byron talking about guys needing to know the plays...well, BS, where the hell are the plays??? I can't fault Dion for going all iso all the time when the HC just watches him do it game after game after game.
    I do agree, it has been frustrating watching the games and seeing the opposing coach be active and yell at his players telling them where they need to be on the court, and then see Byron Scott stoically and silently standing with his arms crossed doing nothing 90% of the time.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,419 Times in 1,664 Posts

Man posters are really being way too hard about Waiters tonight IMO.

-he carried the offense in the 3rd as no one else was scoring and the game wasn't out of hand till the end of the 3rd.
    -he took a few of bad jumpers but overall he attacked the basket and got people open looks when he didn't score or got fouled. Not sure at least in the 3rd where he over-dribbled ala Kyrie at times. If he plays like he did in 3rd more consistently, this board will be more then happy with the pick. Problem with him is he hasn't been able to get those quarters to a full game in awhile

Reasons the Bulls played away (and I would say this is despite Waiters putting a good shift)
    1) We only have one competent big in Thompson right now and the Bulls have several and they crushed us downlow
    2) Weird defense where the Bulls by running one screen would end up with Deng against Waiters or Irving and then Gee on Hamilton. Not sure why we didn't change the defense: zone or something to stop from doing this

The combination of 1 and 2 allowed the Bulls to run roughshod over our defense in the 3rd and put the game away
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,224 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wreck View Post
    Dion was a garbage time All-Star tonight. I'm hardly a Dion critic, but I'm not getting too excited since I'm not sure he scored from the field in the first 2.5 quarters.
    Context.

There is no such thing as Garbage Time against the Chicago Bulls. Thibs plays his guys to the last possible second. Deng played 38 min, Noah played 32, Boozer played 30 and was in there right up until the end. The only "garbage" Bull that logged more than 2 minutes was Nazr Mohammed, and that was despite it being a blowout at the start of the fourth.

Also, I disagree that Dion didn't play well until the game was decided. He had a slow first half, but his play picked up a lot after halftime, before it really felt like anyone had stomped on our throats. He played more efficiently than Kyrie tonight.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Fighting the good fight! gourimoko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,019 Times in 3,349 Posts

They're tired of losing.. this has to be our last tank year.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gourimoko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 791 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gourimoko View Post
    Best laid plans....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 777 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gourimoko View Post
    I actually agree. Despite the top of the 2014 class, I think the Cavs will want to start positioning themselves to win next year in order to build some confidence in this roster. I think it's inevitable someone like Gay gets added to this roster within the next year....Hell, maybe by the deadline.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    I actually agree. Despite the top of the 2014 class, I think the Cavs will want to start positioning themselves to win next year in order to build some confidence in this roster. I think it's inevitable someone like Gay gets added to this roster within the next year....Hell, maybe by the deadline.
    Regardless of whether or not they're tired of losing, the natural positive progression in the overall talent level of our players in addition to our team chemistry will dictate whether or not we make the playoffs. Our hand is likely to be forced next season because we'll be too good to not make the playoffs. Not only that, but we would likely have to pass up on too many opportunities in trades and free agency. There's a diminishing return with each season on tanking, and I think that next season is the season that we cross the line to it not really being worth it to tank. I really like the 2014 top of the class, but I don't think we'll be in position to draft any of the supreme guys from that class.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

I agree we'll have to go for it next year. I think Dan Gilbert thinks so as well ....enough is enough. Our 4 young players will have 1 or 2 years under their belts ....they're ready to contribute.
    ....If we continue this way, we'll have a top 5 pick next year, which will give us a top 5 player in the draft or a very good player in trade

.....our cap spcae could net us another fine player

....and if the Lakers squeeeeeeze into the playoffs, their pick could land us another rotation player (draft or player)

....the draft doesn't look very strong in elite SF's, but then we only need one

yea, next year we need to make a move

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yalbert For This Useful Post:

Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,747 Times in 2,035 Posts

Dion looked terrible. When he checked in, in the first half, it was his horrible D, then turnover to Deng, then foul-and1 on Robinson that solely erased a 10 point lead Kyrie and Tristan had worked to establish. Chicago also posted him up quite a few times with Rip and Deng... whichever of the wings he got stuck guarding, and Dion was indifferent when they backed him down. From there, his body language was nonchalant and I thought Kyrie kinda fed off that in the first quarter while off the ball looking to compliment Dion. Kyrie never got reengaged after moving off the ball. This is a concern of mine.

I saw alot of hollow stats from him in the second half. Even while getting those hollow stats, he still took horrible shots (step back air ball 3 from 22ft with a loaded shot clock).

He drove a little bit, and could get to the rim even while Thibs was imploring guys to "dig" (will Thibs ever shut up during games) so that was encouraging, but he doesnt go up to finish through contact still. He tries to avoid the contact with the ball as opposed to going through defenders with his shot and he initiates contact at the rim with his body alot, and refs are still not giving him those.

Byron is trying to get him going by putting the ball in his hands, even while Livingston is out there, regardless of who is in the backcourt with him, and I would like to see him work on his off ball game a little. Still just standing around when he doesnt have the ball on O.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts

The least bit of adversity that Dion encounters appears to send him into a bad funk. When he doesn't get a call he thinks he deserves, or loses the ball on an out of control move or the guy he's guarding scores on a good move, he mentally checks out. Certain to follow are hopeless launched , settle type shots with someone in his face early in the shot clock, and/or half-hearted defense .

Even if Scott can convince him to stop whining about calls, refs can read the body language plain as a elementary school primer. Keep acting like a brat and the refs will keep treating him like one.

It's also clear he doesn't like coming off the bench. Nothing wrong with that. Now he just needs to learn that he needs to up his play and attitude to EARN those starter/ end of tight game minutes.

AC often says the NBA is a mans' league. Dion should heed those words.