Page 335 of 864 FirstFirst ... 235285325333334335336337345385435835 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,025 of 12952

Thread: Dion Waiters

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 597 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters - RHLD

Yeah, he didn't do anything frustrating. Shots just weren't falling for him, simple as that. I would imagine completely overhauling your shooting form from head to toe must be difficult, let alone being consistent about it.

He is a bit erratic at times when he goes to finish at the rim; for example, he gets out of control and the ball doesn't even go above the rim.

None of the rookies are really consistent right now though anyway. I mean shit look at Lillard tonight how long did it take him to get his first field goal?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MGMT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 476 Posts

He lines up at the freethrow line very strangely. His shoulders aren't very square to the basket. He has his left foot way back and his right shoulder lined up but his left facing away.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Yeah, vets figure out how to play through games where their shot is off by finding other ways to contribute. Lillard did well in that respect by getting to the line 8 times and dishing out 8 assists.

Thanks

lol dion cracks me up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ClevelandOwnz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    Yeah, he didn't do anything frustrating. Shots just weren't falling for him, simple as that. I would imagine completely overhauling your shooting form from head to toe must be difficult, let alone being consistent about it.

He is a bit erratic at times when he goes to finish at the rim; for example, he gets out of control and the ball doesn't even go above the rim.

None of the rookies are really consistent right now though anyway. I mean shit look at Lillard tonight how long did it take him to get his first field goal?
    Yeah some of his layup attempts, for a guy who can get to the bucket as effectively as he can, are just baffling. That one right-handed attempt with contact just in front of the hoop, coming from the side a bit, was a difficult shot, no doubt; but that was one where, like you said, the ball didn't even get above the rim. He had some others where the angle off the glass was just entirely off, as well. The obvious expectation/hope is that he'll improve in this area, but I guess it's just strikingly odd to me how his ability to get to the hoop -- which is thoroughly NBA caliber even now -- could be so far ahead of his ability to effectively and consistently finish once he gets there, considering the interconnectedness of those two skills. I would understand if it appeared to just be a matter of strength and dealing with contact, but his understanding of the glass and his coordination, especially with his right hand, sometimes just appear to be way off for a guy who's so good at putting himself in the position to practice and learn those nuances. That said, he also occasionally makes layups with very high degrees of difficulty and, again like you said, rookies are usually pretty damn inconsistent.

Anyways, I wonder how he'll respond to sitting the bench during crunch time last night. I could see him going off again, willing himself to the basket and to the line, and continuing to phase out the "fuck it" jumpers just to prove a point, but I could just as easily envision him sulking and trying to prove a point by actually increasing the amount of those jumpers. Whatever the result, I just hope that the "how will Dion react to ____?" -- whether it's lineup changes, coach's comments, good and bad games, getting or not getting the calls, etc -- won't become any sort of real and ongoing thing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to narbar32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,310 Times in 1,884 Posts

Someone posted the highlights of LeBron's first game, and damn if it didn't look like Dion (granted, in a the body of a 6-8 freak of nature). Fadeaway, contested jumpers, layups that were much more acrobatic than they needed to be (LeBron finished them because, again, 6-8 freak of nature).

Probably means nothing (in fact, it almost definitely does), but was interesting nonetheless.

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    Probably means nothing (in fact, it almost definitely does), but was interesting nonetheless.
    That Dion is mentally still playing like an 18yr old fresh out of high school?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper CavsFaninNJ's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That Dion is mentally still playing like an 18yr old fresh out of high school?
    yeah, if you go back young enough you find parallels between Luke Walton and NBA stars

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFaninNJ View Post
    yeah, if you go back young enough you find parallels between Luke Walton and NBA stars
    For example Luke shares the same DNA and last name of a hof'er.

~
    Thanks

Hopefully we can call that the floor for those guys ... the rest depends how they develop and how much they can develop.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,204 Posts

The FLOOR for Dion Waiters is a 6th man of the year candidate? Really? I'd be ecstatic if he consistently performs well enough to be in contention for that award.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shoes22 For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,664 Times in 3,226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shoes22 View Post
    The FLOOR for Dion Waiters is a 6th man of the year candidate? Really? I'd be ecstatic if he consistently performs well enough to be in contention for that award.
    No kidding. I really don't get why people see coming off the bench as failure. If a player comes off the bench and plays starter minutes, they are just as important to a team as a starter, and more important than a starter who plays less minutes. And basically any player who wins the Sixth Man award is probably better than the starters on most of the other teams in the league at his position.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks

Not so much. 6th men tend to provide instant offense and not much else. You don't usually want them starting... Manu being an exception.

Practice Squad
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not so much. 6th men tend to provide instant offense and not much else. You don't usually want them starting... Manu being an exception.
    This is why I never see Waiters as a 6th man. His floor is definitely coming off the bench in the future, but since his defense, ball handling, and passing are so good, his offense is the thing that will keep him off the floor. If his offense becomes consistent, he will become an every day starting SG in the league (provided there's not a superstar in front of him)

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crg13729 View Post
    This is why I never see Waiters as a 6th man. His floor is definitely coming off the bench in the future, but since his defense, ball handling, and passing are so good, his offense is the thing that will keep him off the floor. If his offense becomes consistent, he will become an every day starting SG in the league (provided there's not a superstar in front of him)
    He WILL be a superstar...