View Poll Results: What's your favorite Zeller Nickname?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albino Wino

13 6.50%
  • Boney White

10 5.00%
  • Cracker Jack

18 9.00%
  • Ivory Tower

68 34.00%
  • Snuggle Bear

28 14.00%
  • Stay Puft

21 10.50%
  • Vanilla Gorilla, 2.0

42 21.00%
Page 47 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,574 Times in 4,829 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller (expected back on Saturday vs. Mavs)

From the PD:

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio - Rookie center Tyler Zeller expects to be back in the Cleveland Cavaliers lineup Saturday against Dallas, he said after practice Thursday morning at Cleveland Clinic Courts.

"It's always frustrating when you've got to sit over there and can't really help your team, whether it's practice, games, cheering them on or whatever,'' he said. "Just excited to get back out there and play.''

Zeller suffered a fractured left cheekbone and a concussion when he took an accidental elbow from DeAndre Jordan of the Clippers on Nov. 5 in Los Angeles. He had 15 points and seven rebounds before he left the game.

Asked if he felt as if he was hitting his stride before he got hurt, Zeller said, "Yes and no. Things were starting to slow down. But one good game...I'd like to get a streak of those going and then I would say I was in my stride.''

Cavs coach Byron Scott was thrilled to have Zeller back.

"He went full court, five-on-five,'' said Scott, adding that he's not aware of any restrictions for Zeller as far as minutes are concerned. "He looked pretty good. His wind was a little short. A little rust. Good thing he has three days before our next game. He can knock some of that rust off. He had a little trouble running up and down.''

Zeller's return should help stabilize a very shaky second unit.

"Big time,'' said Scott, smiling for the first time in days. "Just having him back will help. He’s another big body who knows how to play. He’s an integral part of what we do. He helps our rotation better.''

Zeller said he'll do whatever Scott asks.

"I'm just going to play as hard as I can when I come in,'' he said. "I know that I've been out and I'm coming back from an injury so it's his choice how much he wants to play me. I'm just going to play as hard as I can when I get in.''

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Cleveland's still home blazenmp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wuck View Post
    From the PD:..."I'm just going to play as hard as I can when I come in,'' he said. "I know that I've been out and I'm coming back from an injury so it's his choice how much he wants to play me. I'm just going to play as hard as I can when I get in.''
    I had to emphasize this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 787 Posts

I really like him. If he is a starting center in the future great, but I think he will be a hell of a backup.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 537 Posts

"He looked pretty good. His wind was a little short. A little rust. Good thing he has three days before our next game. He can knock some of that rust off. He had a little trouble running up and down.''
    I'm sure he did. Byron probably ran the piss outta these guys after their ghost-like defensive efforts during this road trip. I wouldn't be surprised if the team is afraid of ladders from this point forward.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoCavFan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 745 Posts

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/86...turn-wear-mask

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers rookie center Tyler Zeller has been cleared to play wearing a mask to protect a broken cheekbone.
    *Hot Topics*RCF FAQDonate to RCF!

RCF All-Time Rank : rep #38 posts #34

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ignatius For This Useful Post:

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 4,817 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller (cleared to play Saturday vs. Mavs)

Funny to think that he was not expected to be a Cavalier. Houston had him as a top priority in the draft. The one misstep Houston made was taking Royce White at #16, knowing that Dallas really wanted White. Cubes was furious and traded the Cavs their #17 just to deny Houston Zeller at #18.

Without Daryl Morey having such an ornery approach to his job and without Cubes having an equally contentious ego, the Cavs watch the Rockets draft Zeller and Cubes draft Royce White... who may or may not ever play on an NBA team.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    Funny to think that he was not expected to be a Cavalier. Houston had him as a top priority in the draft. The one misstep Houston made was taking Royce White at #16, knowing that Dallas really wanted White. Cubes was furious and traded the Cavs their #17 just to deny Houston Zeller at #18.

Without Daryl Morey having such an ornery approach to his job and without Cubes having an equally contentious ego, the Cavs watch the Rockets draft Zeller and Cubes draft Royce White... who may or may not ever play on an NBA team.
    With Royce White and Delonte West on the same team, they would need their athletic trainer to be Dr. Drew from celebrity rehab.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,545 Posts

West got waived by Dallas
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 4,817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    With Royce White and Delonte West on the same team, they would need their athletic trainer to be Dr. Drew from celebrity rehab.
    Good point, but they resigned Delonte in late July, after they missed out on the most famous aviophobic since B.A. Baracus.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post

Kudos to Grant for scrambling to draft Zeller unexpectedly like he did. I remember Grant talking about how he even planned for unexpected things like this to happen where, if player X drops, we have already agreed that it is worth it to trade all four picks for this player. That's a great way to take a complex thing like the draft and make it a little bit easier. He basically broke down the different situations that could occur algorithmically beforehand. "If X, then Y" is what Grant planned for instead of being there on the draft where he could be like "X just happened, so should we Y?" Planning all of this beforehand allowed him to foresee more things than if he had not done so. So far, Zeller is looking like a steal.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Kudos to Grant for scrambling to draft Zeller unexpectedly like he did. I remember Grant talking about how he even planned for unexpected things like this to happen where, if player X drops, we have already agreed that it is worth it to trade all four picks for this player. That's a great way to take a complex thing like the draft and make it a little bit easier. He basically broke down the different situations that could occur algorithmically beforehand. "If X, then Y" is what Grant planned for instead of being there on the draft where he could be like "X just happened, so should we Y?" Planning all of this beforehand allowed him to foresee more things than if he had not done so. So far, Zeller is looking like a steal.
    This should be common sense, but I'm still glad to hear they do it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to B3team For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B3team View Post
    This should be common sense, but I'm still glad to hear they do it.
    Yes, but the NBA draft moves very quickly, so it's really more about the actual execution of the plan than the plan itself. I suspect there might be more trades if there were more time between picks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Most of the Bigs from this draft are looking better than I expected. Bernard James is having a very good rookie campaign for Dallas. Obvious Davis is terrific, and although T-Rob looks a little less so, there aren't many clear busts. Drummond looking solid, Leonard looking OK, Sullinger with Double Doubles, our own Zeller, Festus Ezili, James. I have not seen anything from Melo, or of course PJIII, but at the center position anyway, i did not expect them all to play as well as they have.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 1,545 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

In the 4th quarter you saw, Zeller playing similar to how he did before he got hurt against the Clippers. He can finish quickly around the basket (here's looking at you Tristan) and does a lot of things well. Once he gets his jumper going, I don't see why he can't be a good starting calibre big in the league.

Weird game: our frontcourt between AV, TT, Zeller, and Gee did more then enough to win but Irving and Waiters dragged the team down. Don't hear that often
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,355 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

Zeller has a good sense of where to be on the court to make the right play. Nice to see that trait in a Rook.