View Poll Results: What's your favorite Zeller Nickname?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albino Wino

13 6.31%
  • Boney White

10 4.85%
  • Cracker Jack

18 8.74%
  • Ivory Tower

70 33.98%
  • Snuggle Bear

30 14.56%
  • Stay Puft

21 10.19%
  • Vanilla Gorilla, 2.0

44 21.36%
Page 50 of 108 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 494 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by poo199 View Post
    I think he's a future all-star. He reminds me of Z with more athleticism.
    So a shorter, young Z?

With the current crop of "centers" in this league... it could happen. Well, it could have, if they didn't get rid of the center position off the all star ballot.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,267 Times in 1,416 Posts

I'm still waiting for the Cavs to run a play through him posting up on the low block. All of his touches and points come off pick and rolls, pick and pops, backdoor cuts, and put backs. Lets see if the kid has a back to the basket game, Byron.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,806 Times in 3,079 Posts

Zeller will be in the league for a long time. Not sure about all-star or even starting center. But he might be one of the pieces that will be most important for the Cavs to be a great team. Can never have enough bigs, especially those with as many skills as Zeller.

The Bushido doctrine Homer Safari's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,142 Times in 2,268 Posts

Id like to see zeller get the ball in the post as well but it seems like the only thing he isnt allowed to do when he gets the ball in the high post. When we see Zeller get the green light in those situations and he understand how to do it without slowing down the offense or over dribbling then im sure scott will put him in the starting rotation.

Thanks

Id like to see zeller get the ball in the post as well but it seems like the only thing he isnt allowed to do when he gets the ball in the high post. When we see Zeller get the green light in those situations and he understand how to do it without slowing down the offense or over dribbling then im sure scott will put him in the starting rotation.

meanwhile Thompson is horrible in the post and he gets the green light all day long. which brings me back to my theory that Scott isnt allowing alot of key personell to do what is natural tot heir skill set.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Zeller will be in the league for a long time. Not sure about all-star or even starting center. But he might be one of the pieces that will be most important for the Cavs to be a great team. Can never have enough bigs, especially those with as many skills as Zeller.
    I think Zeller's floor is Jeff Foster, who has indeed been a contributor but not a starter in the league for a long time. I think he ceiling is more Brad Miller. I don't think he is ready for the post at this level, because he is not strong enough. You need that upper body to hang with the bigs in the post or you will get busted up. I think Scott does not want to affect his confidence there.

TT, on the other hand, spent the offseason getting bigger, and spent the end of last season at center. He is already athletic enough to defend in the lane, but he needs to practice in game to develop a feel for how to score. You can't teach that in practice. Like Dion, he has not learned how to avoid the NBA class shot blocker, and until he manages that he will struggle. However, I think Scott is doing the right thing to green light him down low, because we are all about learning right now. We are not going to win a lot of games with Sloan Pargo Gibson and Miles as our back court...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

^ kind of a big deal! cavsfan1985's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree he is a rockie learning the game. I mean the 17th pick in the draft is getting a lot of playing time, a typical 17th pick is on a playoff team, and is in a bench role and sees limited mins. Remember very few center come out of college and dominate in their first few years. I think he has been great if you look in context of what he is.

Rookie
    Thanks

I think he could be a borderline All Star if he gains some more upper body strength, needs to hit the weight room hard. He has the frame and athleticism to be a good, maybe great starting center but his outside shot has been disappointing thus far outside of the Portland game....maybe a hybrid of Nick Collison and Brad Miller which would be pretty good...

Team Player
    Thanks

How did he do vs howard in the matchup? Also how was he on offense cause stats dont tell the whole truth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    How did he do vs howard in the matchup? Also how was he on offense cause stats dont tell the whole truth
    He actually didn't do as badly as I thought he would (since he gets moved ridiculously easy by most C's). He held his ground pretty well and was smart about fouling once he got put in a bad position. I wish he'd start hitting some of those long 2's though...

Rookie
    Thanks

So what was with Zeller tonight? He seemed like he was afraid to shoot a jump-shot, and made a lot of bad passes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dshuks View Post
    So what was with Zeller tonight? He seemed like he was afraid to shoot a jump-shot, and made a lot of bad passes.
    The combination of length and speed (esp. speed) bothered him. I remember watching him guard PFs in the Summer League, and he got burned. The Bucks big men all have great length, and they're no slouches. Quick PF/C types are probably his biggest weakness. Offensively and defensively.

Actual centers give him more space for that jump shot, while the quicker, more agile PF/C combos close out quickly. (Ei. Larry Sanders, Henson)

Also, he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend their face up games. Don't ever expect him to guard power forwards, that's for sure.

A mixture of quick close-outs on his jump shots and shutting out the passing lanes made Zeller look horrible tonight.

Thanks

This guy's really not good enough to be out there right now. I know he has some skill, but he can't defend. He's slower than I thought, and he's not long enough to alter shots. Even as a backup C he is going to kill our defense when he comes into the game. Go ahead and rip me, but I hope he finds his way off of our team some way some how when we are ready to make the playoffs because he does not play winning basketball in the NBA, where every possession is so important, and teams take advantage of every weakness. He cannot rebound to save his life. He has no nose for the ball. Yes, I've made my conclusion, just as many have done with TT, that TZ is not and will not be anywhere near a good NBA player. Not saying he won't get better, but his lackluster rebounding itself hurts the team enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ice cream man View Post
    This guy's really not good enough to be out there right now. I know he has some skill, but he can't defend. He's slower than I thought, and he's not long enough to alter shots. Even as a backup C he is going to kill our defense when he comes into the game. Go ahead and rip me, but I hope he finds his way off of our team some way some how when we are ready to make the playoffs because he does not play winning basketball in the NBA, where every possession is so important, and teams take advantage of every weakness. He cannot rebound to save his life. He has no nose for the ball. Yes, I've made my conclusion, just as many have done with TT, that TZ is not and will not be anywhere near a good NBA player. Not saying he won't get better, but his lackluster rebounding itself hurts the team enough.
    Wow, the guys strung together a few poor games.. but he's also had some big performances against the Clips, Knicks, Pistons, Portland.. the list goes on. I may even go as far as to say he has had more solid games than poor games.

7 Pts, 5 rebounds, 2 offensive in 20 minutes? Thats solid production from a back up big who only figures to get better.

He's really a great back up center. He can rebound, space the floor, makes the right pass.. he just fits in, he knows his limitations. I'd like to see some more nastiness.. but the guys only played 20 games and I can't say he's looked bad at all.

A fundamentally sound 7 footer who doesn't disrupt team concept has a place on any team in the NBA.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers Guy View Post
    Wow, the guys strung together a few poor games.. but he's also had some big performances against the Clips, Knicks, Pistons, Portland.. the list goes on. I may even go as far as to say he has had more solid games than poor games.

7 Pts, 5 rebounds, 2 offensive in 20 minutes? Thats solid production from a back up big who only figures to get better.

He's really a great back up center. He can rebound, space the floor, makes the right pass.. he just fits in, he knows his limitations. I'd like to see some more nastiness.. but the guys only played 20 games and I can't say he's looked bad at all.

A fundamentally sound 7 footer who doesn't disrupt team concept has a place on any team in the NBA.
    some of you guys are grading him as a backup when Scott has made it clear he expect Zeller to be a starter. so his progression should be graded as such.