View Poll Results: What's your favorite Zeller Nickname?

Voters
200. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albino Wino

13 6.50%
  • Boney White

10 5.00%
  • Cracker Jack

18 9.00%
  • Ivory Tower

68 34.00%
  • Snuggle Bear

28 14.00%
  • Stay Puft

21 10.50%
  • Vanilla Gorilla, 2.0

42 21.00%
Page 52 of 107 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 Times in 3,552 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7207 View Post
    To be fair, that's because the All-Star games have been dominated by Dwight/Yao/Shaq.

I thought this was interesting, so I did a little research... since 2002, these have been the centers in the All-Star game (I included listed PF/Cs, like Dirk and Duncan, to increase sample size): Roy Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Dwight Howard, Al Horford, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan, David Lee, Amare Stoudamire, Pau Gasol, Chris Kaman, Chris Bosh, Shaq, Jermaine ONeal, Mehmet Okur, Ben Wallace, Ziggy, Brad Miller, Dirk Nowitzki, Alonzo Mourning, Dikembe Mutombo

Jermaine O'Neal was #17 in 1996
    Ziggy was #20 in 1996
    Ben Wallace was undrafted
    Brad Miller was undrafted
    Mehmet Okur was #37 in 2001
    David Lee was #30 in 2005
    And Roy Hibbert/Marc Gasol

So 8 of the last 21 centers were picked past #17.
    To be fair though, he asked how many were selected within the past 10 years, so that would eliminate O'Neal, Z, Okur, Ben, and Miller from your list

I admittedly didn't include Lee in my list, as I didn't look to see if he was selected as a F or a C.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    To be fair though, he asked how many were selected within the past 10 years, so that would eliminate O'Neal, Z, Okur, Ben, and Miller from your list

I admittedly didn't include Lee in my list, as I didn't look to see if he was selected as a F or a C.
    True. If you use "C selected in 2002 draft or later" and "has made an all star team" as your modifiers, you get 3/10 picked past #17, which still isn't bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Tyler looked beast tonight. His rebounding was sub-par, but so was everyone's on both teams but Tristan's. Guards were getting a lot of rebounds tonight. Anyhow, Tyler is looking like a very effective scorer with a money mid-range shot that has the potential to go out to 3-pt range if need be. He has a quick release and a feathery touch with his post shots as well.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,074 Posts

so its all star center or bust ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,974 Times in 1,166 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tornicade View Post

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRMsix6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah i'm not sure where that expectation came from. How many teams even expect to draft an All Star at 17 or later?

If the answer isn't obvious, it (should be) zero.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Obawan12 View Post
    Yeah i'm not sure where that expectation came from. How many teams even expect to draft an All Star at 17 or later?

If the answer isn't obvious, it (should be) zero.
    One. The Cavs. Grant's game plan is to draft all of our star players in the late first round, which explains why he keeps drafting role players with our lottery picks.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQinCtown For This Useful Post:

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,623 Times in 986 Posts

When Tyler was haivng bad abmes offensively it was because he hesitated on that mid range shot, got closed out then tried to do something to generate a different shot, that was often a lower percentage than the jumper.
    "Now you see me and now you get it in your face!" AC

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawduzt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,145 Times in 1,700 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RMsDanielGibson View Post
    Tyler looked beast tonight. His rebounding was sub-par, but so was everyone's on both teams but Tristan's. Guards were getting a lot of rebounds tonight. Anyhow, Tyler is looking like a very effective scorer with a money mid-range shot that has the potential to go out to 3-pt range if need be. He has a quick release and a feathery touch with his post shots as well.
    I love how hiiigh his release is too. Some big men kinda negate their shooting ability and height with a low release. In that regard he's very Z-like.
    i like jorts

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,074 Posts

excerpts from an article on Zeller

“The thing I was always struggling with from the beginning was the different schemes. You figure out one scheme and the next team plays something completely different. You have to be able to read those. So, you really start finding your spots and you teammate’s spots against different schemes.”

“I know when I played the Heat the first time,” recalled Zeller. “I mean, you hear about Wade and Bosh and LeBron. Personally, I just take the first couple minutes and say, ‘OK, I’m going to go do what I can.’ And then you start to see. Sure, they’re good; Bron had 30 against us. But he’s still human and you just have to be smart. You just have to know who they are and try to play their tendencies.”

on garnett
    (Garnett) can really guard all five positions,” praised Zeller. “He can hedge one screen, get back, hedge another screen, come back down, tag two cutters then get to his man , challenge the shot and then go get the rebound.”
    But, as you’d expect from a four-year guy with a big brain, Zeller already began to notice KG’s predilections.
    “KG’s a heck of a defender, but he also loves to help weakside to try to block shots,” explained the rookie seven-footer. “So if you space out, he’s going to leave you open. And you start to pick up those kinds of tendencies.

on andy

“Andy’s unbelievable,” said Zeller. “He’s chases down rebounds every time; he never quits. What I’m always impressed with is offensively how he passes and dribbles. He’s a great passer. I’ve always thought, you catch it, you wait until you see something and then you start dribbling. But you always see him probing, and then dribbling into it, then he sees something and he takes off.

“So you just learn little things from him and how to play different ways.”

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/zeller-121227

I think the interview says alot of about Zellers Iq and his ability to communicate what he learns.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Tyler showed improvement across the board from November to December, and shook off his problems at the charity stripe dropping 90.5% of his freebies in December. He's not where we want him to be by any means, but his numbers are all heading in the right direction.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelo...1/tyler-zeller

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 521 Posts

But he's not there yet. Defensively, he's a liability that Thompson has to make up for. I'm sure Zeller realizes this too so he'll get better. Ideally, for the rest of this season, this is what you want as the starting front court. But right now, I think the Andy/Thompson combination works a little better (it's not great though...). But having Andy come off the bench would mean a lot more. We'll just have to tough it out with Zeller.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 787 Posts

I like his intensity on defense, he just isn't used to the game yet. Nene was punking them last night with veteran moves. I'd really like to see him in the post more. The jumper is cool, but his hook looks really good. Usually goes in.

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

I think the interview says alot of about Zellers Iq and his ability to communicate what he learns.
    You certainly never heard JJ Hickson talk like that.

Here's another Zeller article that's not nearly as good--

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...proving-top-10

10. Tyler Zeller, Cavaliers | Rookie card

I like his rebounding efforts and overall grit. It serves him well considering his lack of strength and speed. But he's taking two shots a game from 16-23 feet (making 37 percent), far too many shots in total from that range for him. Plus, many of those shots are coming with 12 or more seconds on the clock.

Compare him to Joakim Noah, who also plays with a marvelous scoring point guard (when Derrick Rose is in the lineup). Noah has never taken more than 1.2 shots per game from that range (even though he once made 43 percent from that distance in a season) until this season, though I expect that number to drop once Rose returns.

Zeller would be better off receiving pick-and-pop passes (which is where he's getting most of those shots) and immediately swinging the ball or throwing it back to Kyrie Irving, then running to set another screen. In time he can be a solid pick-and-pop player, but for that to happen he needs to shoot with more flexibility in his legs and keep his weight on the front of his feet and not the heels.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 521 Posts

He wasn't guarding Nene. That was Thompson, the better defender. The reason Nene got so much production was 1) He has a few inches and length even on Tristan and 2) when Emeka took Zeller to school at the beginning, that forced Thompson to help and get Nene an easy 3 baskets in the first quarter. Despite that, their backcourt was not productive enough or provided good team work to out do our ball movement.

As for Zeller's article, I think it's still too much thinking and not enough "just do it". He's better than this, but he's hesitant and it turns into turnover after turnover. Either shoot the shot or don't. Have some confidence. We know he can shoot better, so don't let that stupid article confuse anybody since he's the absolute opposite of Joakim Noah (which idiot would compare the two?).
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post: