View Poll Results: What's your favorite Zeller Nickname?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albino Wino

13 6.31%
  • Boney White

10 4.85%
  • Cracker Jack

18 8.74%
  • Ivory Tower

70 33.98%
  • Snuggle Bear

30 14.56%
  • Stay Puft

21 10.19%
  • Vanilla Gorilla, 2.0

44 21.36%
Page 55 of 108 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,471 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    You may end up with a backup, but that's not what you're shooting for when you rank someone as the 11th best player in a draft.

The thing is, if not for the Tyler trade, we could have gone all scattergun on the draft and you'd think out of our 3 picks, odds are we would have found at least one bona-fide starter and/or perhaps a solid bench guy as well.

How ironic if the best rookie we could have signed this past off-season, turns out to be the guy we could have had without using a pick (Alexy Shved) - but he's 24 with Euroleague experience. It's going to take time for things to play out.
    i don't think ranking someone 11th precludes the team from also believing they are a future bench player. assuming they plan on actually winning, of course. finding players that are capable of starting on serious title contenders is fucking hard. even if the cavs were 100% correct and he was the 11th best player in the draft, how many guys of that ranking really can start on a contender? i'm too lazy to look at previous drafts, but i'd bet it's rare that the 11th best player in a given year develops into a player that can start on a contender.

also, no way were the odds in the cavs favor that they would've found one bonafide starter and/or a solid bench guy (which zeller can still be the latter, btw). they had 24, 33, and 34. that's not that good. sometimes players drafted in that range do turn into starters or even very good rotational bench guys,of course, but it's not exactly common.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    finding players that are capable of starting on serious title contenders is fucking hard. even if the cavs were 100% correct and he was the 11th best player in the draft, how many guys of that ranking really can start on a contender?
    Maybe you want to re-phrase this, because it sounds like you're confusing starting quality player with Super-star/All-star caliber player. There are legit starters to be found throughout any draft - even outside the draft. They tend to fritter away once you get a bit in to the second round or even earlier if it's not a very deep draft.

Taking the 2006 draft for example (a pretty weak one), there were legit starters taken 13, 21, 24, and 47; but so far only one All Star.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,471 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Maybe you want to re-phrase this, because it sounds like you're confusing starting quality player with Super-star/All-star caliber player. There are legit starters to be found throughout any draft - even outside the draft. They tend to fritter away once you get a bit in to the second round or even earlier if it's not a very deep draft.

Taking the 2006 draft for example (a pretty weak one), there were legit starters taken 13, 21, 24, and 47; but so far only one All Star.
    no, i don't want to rephrase that. i never said you can't find starting caliber players later in the draft. i said that:

a) ranking him 11th doesn't necessarily mean they think he'll be a long-term starter, as the 11th best player in a given draft usually isn't good enough to start on a contender (emphasis on the contender part, starting on a playoff or bad team is obv meaningless)

and

b) even if the cavs had kept 24, 33, and 34 odds are those players wouldn't have developed into starters or even good bench players. it's not that it's impossible, just that it doesn't happen often.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

I realize that some of his problems will be solved with some added strength, but the guy looks absolutely lost on the defensive end, he's getting killed every night. Not a problem I thought we'd have with a guy who spent 4 years in college.
    Last edited by D-Wreck; 01-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,733 Times in 4,182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wreck View Post
    I realize that some of his problems will be solved with some added strength, but the guy looks absolutely lost on the defensive end, he's getting killed every night. Not a problem i thought we'd have with a guy who spent 4 years in college.
    Well, you know, Carolina has been mediocre to poor on defense over the last few seasons. Finding out why.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 856 Posts

I realize that some of his problems will be solved with some added strength, but the guy looks absolutely lost on the defensive end, he's getting killed every night. Not a problem i thought we'd have with a guy who spent 4 years in college.
    Yeah I was surprised Byron Scott kept him in the game today. Kufous was liking like an all star.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,836 Times in 2,744 Posts

Zeller had some nice blocks in the first half which was surprising. After that, however, he looked like total shit. He should be designated this year's tank driver...he gift wrapped Kosta Koufos a career night.

Thank God this draft is loaded with bigs...gotta find the right one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,984 Times in 775 Posts

Zeller is going to be a great big off the bench one day....but no, he's no center of the future or anything.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pr26 View Post
    Zeller is going to be a great big off the bench one day....but no, he's no center of the future or anything.
    In a world where Mehmet Okur was an all-star Zeller can at least be a starter

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clebron For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clebron View Post
    In a world where Mehmet Okur was an all-star Zeller can at least be a starter
    Technically, he's a starter right now. The point is, I don't think he can be starter on a good team, which is obviously what we hope to be eventually.

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Technically, he's a starter right now. The point is, I don't think he can be starter on a good team, which is obviously what we hope to be eventually.
    Perkins starts on a good team. So did whoever else started for the Heat for the past two seasons before this one before they got fed up with them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 7,362 Times in 2,180 Posts

4 or 5 centers in this draft better than Zeller. That said, I want to take bpa available. Zeller will be solid if he is a starter or bench. That said, you don't need all of your starters to be all stars to win a championship. Lets see what he does with an off season or two before we totally judge.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

whatever
    Thanks

After watching him so far, I think he can be a nice piece to a contender. The thing that strikes me is how much core strength he needs. It would really help his jumper (along with confidence and the game slowing down) and ability to hang with guys in the paint. It seems that he can hit a jumper if he's stationed properly and able to set and shoot. But when things start moving, it seems to knock him off kilter and affect his shooting motion.

With a taller guy like him, the added core strength should enable him to have a better ability to catch and shoot on the move. The playing time he's getting now should help with digesting the quicker pace of the NBA.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Zone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i would also pointnout that he may have skill set to play some PF along side a power center. He has a good touch, flashes a mid range jumper, and basketball IQ, likes to run the floor. You all may be right that he is a long term bench big, but rulling out starter minutes is not justified at this point.

I am interested in which 6 centers you see as better... I will volunteer Drummond to start it off, but I see Davis as a PF, and Sully as a power forward. I think Meyers Leanoard was the first C after Drummond, and you would hard pressed to make that case. There have been some nice surprises later in the draftin Bernard James, Festus Ezili, and Robert Sacre, all of whom are getting minutes, but I dont think they are better than Z2.0
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..