View Poll Results: What's your favorite Zeller Nickname?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albino Wino

13 6.31%
  • Boney White

10 4.85%
  • Cracker Jack

18 8.74%
  • Ivory Tower

70 33.98%
  • Snuggle Bear

30 14.56%
  • Stay Puft

21 10.19%
  • Vanilla Gorilla, 2.0

44 21.36%
Page 66 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,440 Posts

Default Re: 17th Pick - Tyler Zeller

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    It is unfair to criticize Zeller for underperforming as a starting center in the NBA. He is a rookie. Regardless of his age, he is a rookie. As some have pointed out, it is rare for a non lottery pick to be a long term piece, let alone a strong contributor their rookie year. Zeller was really excelling in his role off the bench. It has been really interesting actually to see how Tristan really grew and Zeller declined once Andy went down. Tristan was in a bad situation for his development at that time while Zeller was in a perfect one. I'm happy that Tristan has really started to develop. His status as a player is much more important to our long term ability as a team. Zeller will at least be a be a capable off the bench big in the NBA. I don't think he will start, but he will certainly help win some games over the course of his career.
    My problems with Zeller have nothing to do with that. I just wish the guy would play with more intensity, passion, and toughness. Intangibles know no set of age, or experience.

Someone needs to piss him off more, because last night he finally got pissed, and showed some of that. Good. Play like that every night.
    If I sound ignorant, don't blame me. I post on realcavsfans.com

Thanks
    Thanked 11,011 Times in 3,128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    My problems with Zeller have nothing to do with that. I just wish the guy would play with more intensity, passion, and toughness. Intangibles know no set of age, or experience.

Someone needs to piss him off more, because last night he finally got pissed, and showed some of that. Good. Play like that every night.
    Toughness isn't a learned skill. Desire isn't a learned skill. They have to come from within. It is what separates the great from the average in sports. I think Zeller might just be a nice guy, athletic guy, 7fter with an outside shot. He has a role on a team. But you can't expect a guy to be an enforcer intense guy when it just isn't who he is. I'm sure he can become stronger and develop as a player. But he won't be that vocal rah rah in your face type guy. We DO need one though. It just won't be Tyler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    Toughness isn't a learned skill. Desire isn't a learned skill. They have to come from within. It is what separates the great from the average in sports. I think Zeller might just be a nice guy, athletic guy, 7fter with an outside shot. He has a role on a team. But you can't expect a guy to be an enforcer intense guy when it just isn't who he is. I'm sure he can become stronger and develop as a player. But he won't be that vocal rah rah in your face type guy. We DO need one though. It just won't be Tyler.
    He doesn't have to be a bruiser, I want guys that are going to play hard, with passion, and the intensity needed to compete out there. Andy was just as skinny as Tyler, and played that way from day one. Zeller too often looks like he doesn't want to get his hands dirty, and play the way a guy needs to if he's going survive in the league.

I actually think Tyler has some skill in his game to be a nice role player off the bench. I want to see the fire and desire to want to compete night in and night out from him. If he gives that, I won't say a bad word about him.

I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too old. I just remember a time when a 7 ft player had to play like one to make it in this league. Times have changed, I guess.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to godfather For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There's a difference between being weak and being soft. Tyler is both. Andy is weak compared to other NBA centers, but he is in no way soft. Tyler really isn't that weak, especially for a backup. The problem is he is soft, and that usually doesn't change. Short wingspan not helping either. Had he stayed at say 6'5'' instead of growing to 7', he probably wouldn't have done more than make a college team and ride the bench.

EDIT: Somehow missed godfather's post.

whatever
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by godfather View Post
    It's not just drive and dish game, the pick and pop game where its hurting us. Zeller doesn't scare a team enough to provide proper floor spacing. He's open quite a bit on the pick and pop, and Tyler is lacking confidence so badly, even he is becoming very gun shy to take that shot. He passed up at least 2-3 open shots last night. That's a guy that is playing with no confidence at all.
    Agree with the pick and pop, but I'm also seeing something that I think I posted about earlier regarding his strength coming into that equation. Zeller seems to not only need to add bulk, but some core strength.

Watch him shoot. He's got a nice shot and good form when completely stationary. But when he's on the move (like after setting a pick), he begins to lose the strength and balance throughout his body needed for his shooting form. He's also got defenders, when they bother to try to recover on him, coming at him faster than he's used to. He could offset that by putting the ball on the deck (which AC seems to beg for each game), but so far seems reluctant. I'd agree that part of it is being too passive. Also think the fact that he's usually 20+ feet from the basket hinders him too, as defenses can typically recover in time to block his path to the hoop.

I wish he'd play a little less cerebrally as well. He seems to be running at 56k with everyone else on HighSpeed, and part of that is he's thinking too much. It's like he's always trying to do the right thing while fitting in with everyone (especially Dion and Kyrie). He needs to stop being as concerned about fitting in with the alpha's.

Don't see much mention of it, but he does take a lot of charges. Is he still up in the league leaders?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zone For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Luke Walton is an example of a guy that very little, to no talent. But is able to last this long in the NBA because of his extremely high I.Q, his hustle, heart, passion, and high intensity. If Zeller can take that same route, he'll be around for a very long time. I didn't think Luke Walton's still exist in the NBA. That guy is going to be one great head coach one day. I love players like him.

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 512 Posts

I scream at the television every time Tyler is passed the ball at the top of the key, then just stands there with a panic body language while his defender is backed off him a couple of steps. He's like some knockoff of the Statue of Liberty.

On the defensive side, he reaches way too often which results in foul trouble. Inexperience and fatigue have to be factors there.

Odd thing about his rebounding, or lack of same, is how often he has proper position but either gets out-jumped or 'nudged' enough so the opponent reaches over his head and gets the ball.

I agree about his needing some mental toughness. NBA bigs need an attitude to survive the nightly battles in the paint. Some core strength would make a difference.

I hope to see some progress in his game during the second half of the season.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kidduck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,207 Posts

Getting very worried. Earlier in the season, I gave up on his defense, conceding he was to weak to compete. BUt now? Suddenly, he's developed JJ Hickson brick hands, which, when coupled with his non-existent jumper, makes him a total liability on offense, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    I still hold that Kevin Love is a cancer. This team will win 50 without him, it will win 45 with him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,059 Posts

For my own sanity, I've lost all hope that Tyler will develop into anything beyond a below average player. Anything more than that is a pleasant surprise for me.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,883 Times in 985 Posts

Zeller hasn't been doing anything well lately. Terrible in all areas of the game. Looks weak and lost and getting beaten all over the floor. Hard to see him as anything more than a 15-18 minute a game backup at best on a good team. I'm not at all giving up on him and do think he will improve and have a long career. Just have low and reasonable expectations for him. Cavs still have a big long term hole at C.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

There's no question. When his teammates ganged up on him, he lost almost all of his confidence. Now his coach is inching away from him even against Nikola. How the hell do you get it back? Can it actually cost you your career?
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

Situational Stopper Halloween Runner Champion Jellyfish Invaders Champion Cheesy Pizza Designer 2 : Cheddar Madness Champion Worm Happy Champion Escher Champion Snake Champion Snake Champion Fishenoid Champion Turbospot Champion Bullet Blocker Champion Jigsaw: Grapes Champion Cuboy Facebutt Champion Imbossible Champion Jigsaw: Purple Decoration Champion Jigsaw: Mushrooms And Wine Champion Skedaddle Champion BubbleWrap Champion Bridgit Mendler Puzzle Game Champion Cascade Champion Displacer Champion Track the Ball Champion Jigsaw: Old Stone Bridge Champion Jigsaw: Evening Light Champion Hidden Ambers - Nature 3 Champion Water Man Champion Sweet hearts Champion Jigsaw: Guacamole Champion
    Thanks

Brunette Connoisseur MAKING WORDS Champion Cratylus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    Zeller hasn't been doing anything well lately. Terrible in all areas of the game. Looks weak and lost and getting beaten all over the floor. Hard to see him as anything more than a pine-riding roster spot filler at best on a good team.
    Better assessment of Zeller IMHO. I would've said "towel waver" instead of "roster spot filler", but that would imply he puts emotion and effort into his job. To this point he's demonstrated that is the antithesis of his persona, so I wouldn't dare presume this would change with his more fitting role.
    Founding Member of the RCF Crazy Donators Club
    Current Members: Cratylus, Warren G., BodegaBayCav

Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 505 Posts

I am not ready to call Zeller a pine-rider or towel waver. He has too many skills that are uncommon in today's league. I'm sure he has never had this little confidence in himself, but I believe it will be restored slowly. How many guys are 7 feet tall, have range out to 20 feet, and have a smooth touch around the basket from either side. He has also shown the ability to use his left hand both in college and the pros.

This is in no way a Zeller love fest, I can't stand his play right now. His jumper never goes in anymore and he is lost on both ends of the floor. However, the skills are there. I think the Basketball IQ is too. He needs to bulk up and he needs to start feeling confident again.

Is the guy going to ever be a perennial all-star? Of course not. I still think that he will be looked back on as a steal of a draft pick, though.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cassity14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

There probably isn't anything much worse for a young guy than to lose all your confidence the way he has. He's smart enough to realize how his terrible play is really hurting this team, and that can be a tough burden to carry, as well. I would say he's approaching that point of not being able to get much lower right now. I think he'll be ok, but it might not be this season. It may take a good offseason of hard work and, frankly, just being away from the everyday grind of the 82 game schedule to get where he needs to be.
    Last edited by Giambiwannabe7; 02-11-2013 at 11:45 PM.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Giambiwannabe7 For This Useful Post: