Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Sawduzt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,623 Times in 986 Posts

Default Re: Jon Leuer (assigned to D-League again, 1/3)

I guess if he's not making shots then hes no use. It will be interesting to see what happens with samardos garuntee deadline approaching, one last kick of the tyres?
    "Now you see me and now you get it in your face!" AC

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,507 Times in 4,820 Posts

I don't know how he can be worse than Walton. He's not going to fill the "coach on the floor" role like Walton, calling out where young players should go... but I have no doubt Leuer is a better player.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

I find Byron Scott's lack of faith in our backup bigs disturbing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    We really have a lack of talent on the back up bigs. There are 3 names that come to mind that are more suitable for the d-league than our roster, yet all 3 have been heralded as the next savior pf/c, lol.

I wouldnt mind drafting 2 bigs with both of our 1st round picks.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,334 Times in 2,504 Posts

I think it is more a product of trying to boost the value of Walton. If a team thinks he could contribute as well as provide cap relief, he might be more appealing. I think Varejao and Walton are ultimately traded together to help provide more cap relief. However, Leuer, Jones, and Samuels need to play if they are to ever develop.

~
    Thanks

I can't imagine why we'd be wasting development minutes trying to inject some trade value in to Luke Walton ...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,096 Posts

I can't imagine why we'd be wasting development minutes trying to inject some trade value in to Luke Walton ...
    It is about as productive use of funds as injecting HGH into Luke Walton.

Thanks

might be they are measuring otherplayers against samardo and leuer.. right now jujaun johnson is outplaying leuer ...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CleveRocks For This Useful Post:

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,724 Times in 945 Posts

With the way things are right now for the Cavs I'd rather see Leuer and Casspi get minutes than Luke "Capt. Tank" Walton. At least those two are still young and might be able to improve. We already know what Walton is and he really isn't helping much or providing any veteran leadership on the court either.
    Walton's only trade value is his expiring contract. No one is going to want him for his game or to help on the court.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    might be they are measuring otherplayers against samardo and leuer.. right now jujaun johnson is outplaying leuer ...
    I sure hope they're doing something, because giving minutes to Luke is just wasting minutes that could be used to help develop a young player. Chris Grant could also shuffle the deck by making some trades that net us a different bunch of young bigs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Coming out of his shell.. Lumthemad's Avatar
    Thanks

All this recent discussion is why i was in favor of waiving a guy like Walton. There is just too much temptation for Coach Scott to play someone like him when there isn't a mandate to play certain players. (like i get the sense with Tristan) Leuer, Jones and Samuels in Byron's eyes don't warrent the time unless they EARN it. The thing is, all of the guys play tight because they feel like they are always one mistake away from not being played.

This is one of those things where Coach Scott needs to place some trust in a guy and hopefully they can latch onto a role. Walton does enough small things though to put the coach at ease that i don't likely see it happening unless Luke throws out an awful performance. Still, if Jones or Samuels or Leuer tossed off some of these games Walton has, they'd be on the bench for a weeks time.
    Sometimes madness is the best kind of logic

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumthemad For This Useful Post:

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

It's pointless to run a 'coach on the floor' type like Walton on the floor when said player can't play and has next to nothing left in the tank. There's just no reason to play Luke on a 7-26 team unless they still have hope to dump his salary by the trade deadline. I have to walk away from the tv every time he enters the game.

If Leuer, Samuels, Jones or Casspi are not worth developing then why not sign Jujuan Johnson? He's young and played somewhat decent ball for the Celts last season. If we must sit thru another tank year why not at least try and see if one of these young guys has potential to be a future bench player on a winning team? It makes me doubt whether Byron and his staff can develop young talent outside of the obvious future stars like Kyrie who would develop regardless of the coaching.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to daytripper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 787 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lumthemad View Post
    All this recent discussion is why i was in favor of waiving a guy like Walton. There is just too much temptation for Coach Scott to play someone like him when there isn't a mandate to play certain players. (like i get the sense with Tristan) Leuer, Jones and Samuels in Byron's eyes don't warrent the time unless they EARN it. The thing is, all of the guys play tight because they feel like they are always one mistake away from not being played.

This is one of those things where Coach Scott needs to place some trust in a guy and hopefully they can latch onto a role. Walton does enough small things though to put the coach at ease that i don't likely see it happening unless Luke throws out an awful performance. Still, if Jones or Samuels or Leuer tossed off some of these games Walton has, they'd be on the bench for a weeks time.
    I agree. He wants consistency, but there have been no consistent minutes for anyone in the backup big rotation. I actually want to see more of Jones because I think he can actually provide some scoring and rebounding for the bench. Leuer need to get his rebound on.

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Another decent showing by Leuer--

LAST THREE GAMES
    DATE OPPONENT RESULT MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
    Jan 03 @ SPG W 90 - 81 36 7-13 0-0 0-1 2 9 11 1 1 0 4 3 14

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,507 Times in 4,820 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Douglar View Post
    Another decent showing by Leuer--

LAST THREE GAMES
    DATE OPPONENT RESULT MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OFF DEF REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
    Jan 03 @ SPG W 90 - 81 36 7-13 0-0 0-1 2 9 11 1 1 0 4 3 14
    Looks like John Bryant's D-League career averages, minus blocks. I like Leuer, but it is very hard to translate D-League stats for bigmen... they are just playing against inferior competition.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis