Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 4,810 Posts

Default Re: C.J. Miles signs with Cavs ($2M/year, 2nd year is team option)

This is the way of the Miles, he is now due to shoot 6 of 7 in the first half of a game to suck you back in. We knew he was Jamison streaky on offense. The key to his usefulness will be his effort on defense.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

Thanks

He has all the physical skills you could want, but he is a foul machine on defense. I like the aggressive approach, but 4 fouls in 15 minutes is only acceptable if you are a backup bigman trying to keep the other team from driving into the paint. I'm guessing that is why Utah was sick of putting him out there.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

Miles has been terrible and looks lost. I do think he's better than what he's shown in 3 games but don't have any serious expectations for him
    Easy to see now why it was smart to give him the contract the Cavs did. Hopefully next season the Cavs begin trying to actually add some proven NBA talent to the team instead of D Leaguers and cheap mediocre FA's. I don't expect huge signings and believe in building through the draft but it will be time to step it up a little.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NarlCavs View Post
    Miles has been terrible and looks lost. I do think he's better than what he's shown in 3 games but don't have any serious expectations for him
    Easy to see now why it was smart to give him the contract the Cavs did. Hopefully next season the Cavs begin trying to actually add some proven NBA talent to the team instead of D Leaguers and cheap mediocre FA's. I don't expect huge signings and believe in building through the draft but it will be time to step it up a little.
    On the positive side of the ledger, Dion realized he wasn't going to get the starting shooting guard job handed to him when they signed Miles. For Dion putting down the Whoppers and hitting the weight room, C.J. Miles was worth 2 million bucks.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RikSmits View Post
    I hope this is tongue in cheek, because (a) it would be sad/disturbing if Dion would need such motivation (b) at such a steep price, (c) while Miles' play so far will not make Dion fear losing his starting job.
    motivational tactics are not always targeted at individuals tactics sometimes they are executed in principle. The Coach tells a rooki e he will have to compete for the starting job then the gm follows through with signing a free agent at that position. Dion's mindset or commitement wouldnt be the trigger here. Management following through with what they tell players is the key.

They most likely would of done the same with beal or any other guard, They even did the same with Kyrie in regards to barron davis even though they knew they would be letting him go.

CJ signing also sent a message to Gee and Casspi and ave them a scorer who in theory should fit within what the team is trying to do.

I find it disturbing that you believe there are not first hand lessons for young players to learn coming into the NBA nor that they should be challenged. because by your logic any player presented with a challenge indicates that player has a problem. 2 million not that much money to an NBA team.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,634 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    Perfect response.

There was this very odd level of excitement about this signing that I could not wrap my mind around. I just kept looking at the numbers and scratching my head at the amount of optimism on this board.
    Well, I for one never thought CJ Miles would be anything more than a role-player (which is what he was in Utah, where he was a decent contributor), but I couldn't have imagined that he'd be quite this irredeemably awful, especially after his solid pre-season. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular, but I certainly wasn't expecting the flaming pile of dog crap that CJ Miles has dropped onto the court three games in a row.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 481 Posts

CJ is struggling with his shot, but from a talent evaluation stand-point, he has tons of skills. Again, the ball isn't dropping, so he looks like a bum to many, but when Kyrie and Dion aren't on the court, he's really the only guy they have who looks to attack and isn't afraid to put a shot up. For a guy his size he has a really nice handle and an ability to get a shot off whenever he wants...it'd be nice if he were hitting it more frequently, but outside of him on the second unit, there is really no playmaker...at all.

I'm willing to give him a few more games to see if he can find his range. I also think he'd be better off in the starting line-up where he wouldn't have the pressure of being a scorer every time down the court. Our bench is such garbage, CJ Miles thinks he's our Jason Terry. Ouch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RikSmits View Post
    Theory is nice, but in practice, nor Gee nor Casspi will lay awake at night thinking how they'll lose their spot to CJ Miles. To achieve that, the resigning of Gee was plenty of message for Casspi and I seriously doubt whether the Cavs would resign Gee if they thought he needed such motivation.

I'm sorry to have disturbed you, especially since I never implied that there are no first hand lessons for young players to learn.

What I am saying is that for the Cavs to teach Dion such a lesson, they could have made Sloan or Pargo the starting SG for a couple of games. That would send a much stronger message to Dion, and leave the Cavs with 2 million to sign a proper backup PG.

My point is that implying that the Cavs signed Miles to keep Dion from stuffing his face with whoppers is farfetched.
    1. Dion was out of shape at the time of the signing.
    2. Gee was in a contract negotiation.
    3. I forget who Casspi is (Joking!!)

Look, Scott is a lot like Kevin McHale and Mark Jackson in that he is a player from the old school NBA. He has played for a lot of teams, some of which were rebuilding, some of which were competing for a championship. In all those cases, the coaches have felt heat from the fans to play the young players. In all those cases, the coaches set up barriers to that playing time.

Look what happened: Houston is becoming a tough team to play while the young guys like Pat Patterson are maturing into their roles. In the Bay, Harrison Barnes has to fight for playing time, even with Rush out for the season.

Coaches do put veterans in a position to get more playing time because it is the old school way of motivating your young players to work on their games. It's the carrot on the stick, you want more playing time, you learn how to _________. It happens literally all the time in the NBA.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

Chuck Jumpers has been bad the first week of the season, almost JR Bremer bad. He likely won't be this bad for the entire year but a 7 year track record is still a 7 year track record so I don't know what people are expecting. Wing players just don't break out after that many years in the NBA and if they do it's often a fluke season.

What I don't get is how the organization supposedly wooed him for a month or so. They, Byron Scott in particular it seems, were really on Miles. Makes me wonder what did they see and what did they believe they were getting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 918 Posts

Nobody here thought the guy was the next coming. People weren't planning parades because CJ Miles decided to take his talents to the shores of Lake Erie. What people were happy for was that it was an upgrade in depth over guys like Christian Eyenga, Manny Harris, DJ Kennedy and the rest of the DLeague castoffs we trotted out last year.

Yes, he has been atrocious so far. Terrible. But, I'm not longing for the days of Mychel Thompson just yet.

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,074 Posts

I dont getthe logic of.." CJ you plying like crap on both ends of the floor so we going to make you a starter.

At the moment the most important key to the cavs development is the starting line. they can worry about the bench next year.

Scott also wants to put zeller in the starting lineup at some point putting either thompson or av on the bench.

The cavs would be best served splitting time at the guard position with CJ/gibson and sloan allowing Casspi to play the three and putting Samuels in the 4.

Scott apparently wants to be able to look at waltn and say i gave ya chance. I dont really have any problems with that.

you dont fix the bench by breaking the starting lineup .

Thanks

You can't say the organization had a tremendous amount of confidence in CJ by the way the contract was set up. This signing was a just in case deal that depended on Gee.
    WHEN WE FINALLY WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP.......WE WON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,417 Times in 2,008 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanJapan View Post
    This signing was a just in case deal that depended on Gee.
    There was more than one reason to sign CJ Miles last summer. The simplest reason is "at that price, why not?"

it's not like the team gave up talent, scrambled their cap space, or passed on a better player to get this guy.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 481 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MYoung23 View Post
    Chuck Jumpers has been bad the first week of the season, almost JR Bremer bad. He likely won't be this bad for the entire year but a 7 year track record is still a 7 year track record so I don't know what people are expecting. Wing players just don't break out after that many years in the NBA and if they do it's often a fluke season.

What I don't get is how the organization supposedly wooed him for a month or so. They, Byron Scott in particular it seems, were really on Miles. Makes me wonder what did they see and what did they believe they were getting.
    Again, the talent is obviously there. 6'7 wing players aren't naturally as smooth as he is. You can see glimpses of his overall talent. Smooth stroke, great handle, too-much confidence...but confidence none the less.

If the Cavs had any other aggressive offensive players in the second unit, I don't think we'd see CJ pressing so much. It doesn't seem like anyone is giving him the benfit of the doubt here...if he isn't chucking those shots up, who is?

Boobie can't create his own shot and needs 10 feet of space to take the jumper
    Zeller has been downright awful thus far...shooting and creating in the post
    Luke Walton is Luke freakin' Walton
    Donald Sloan isn't a scorer

You know what the above means? CJ Miles needs to chuck otherwise we aren't taking any shots.

Our bench is awful.

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MYoung23 View Post

Remember this is the same Byron Scott who thought it was a good idea to have Luke Walton in the rotation and who compared Micheal Eric to Serge Ibaka. I like Byron but he does make you wonder sometimes.

It also says something when we do get a little excited over the signing of someone like Miles since we think it's an upgrade over some of the crap that the Cavs have put on the court the last 2 seasons. I'm not looking for huge signings and I'm all for building and being patient but the time of the rejects and D Leaguers filling the rotation needs to end.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to NarlCavs For This Useful Post: