Page 81 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 2162
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NFL Draft thread

I was listening to Ken Carmen on the way home from the gym. He's one of the only guys I can usually tolerate, but tonight he was saying his top pick would be Werner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't he be a poor fit in the 3-4?
    Ass pennies

Thanks
    Thanked 11,567 Times in 4,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalou View Post
    I was listening to Ken Carmen on the way home from the gym. He's one of the only guys I can usually tolerate, but tonight he was saying his top pick would be Werner. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't he be a poor fit in the 3-4?
    Yes. Unless he plans on cutting some weight and adding some speed, which isn't out of the realm of possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 1,671 Posts

Yea Werner doesn't make sense. Kiper has him to us in his latest mock draft. The guy is a pure 4-3 DE. Not sure why he would be on our radar that high in the draft.

At this point I like Mingo. He's a little light even at 245, but he'd be electric getting to the QB.

Cleveland Browns HOF LT Qasim Mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phills14 View Post
    At this point I like Mingo. He's a little light even at 245, but he'd be electric getting to the QB.
    I'm thinking Mingo is definitely a possibility, but Lombardi comes from that Bill Parcells/Bill Belichick school of thought where the OLBs are closer to 260-270 pounds. So, I'd expect him to be taking a close look at Ansah because he is in that range.

Lombardi is also a numbers guy who loves the combine. If Ansah can crush the drills there, he will shoot up to the top of our board IMO.

Banned
    Thanks

Mingo would be a pretty bad pick, all hype no substance. its a moot point since i think we're going to try to get Flacco since Baltimore is down to something like a week to put the exclusive franchise tag on him and havent done so yet

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

Still think the pick has to be one of Moore or Dion Jordan if you want to go OLB (which I do) with the top pick. Moore will be a stud but Jordan is incredibly intriguing.
    Ass pennies

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Barnidge For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There was a PD article online, where Grossi mentioned the Browns #6 pick would be a defensive player that nobody has been talking about. I'm thinking that the underlined part is more that no middle-of-the-road fan won't know about him. So thinking to myself, realizing our needs/etc, Lombardi's ties to BBs player evaluation systems, Lombardi's LOVE for DL, guessing where our FA dollars will be spent, plus the Grossit comment, and I came up with these guys: Ansah, Dion Jordan, and my darkhorse being Johnathon Banks (CB Miss St).

I left off guys that would make sense for us at #6 (Moore, Star, etc), and looked at players in the lower tiers. I'm also not sure about a guy like Millner as a top CB prospect, but Banks also will be coming off surgery IIRC. Mingo might be in the mix, as well, but I'll wait until after the combine to add him to the list.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,495 Times in 935 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalou View Post
    Still think the pick has to be one of Moore or Dion Jordan if you want to go OLB (which I do) with the top pick. Moore will be a stud but Jordan is incredibly intriguing.
    That's exactly where I'm at right now. I've been a fan of Jordan for a few months now. His ability to drop into pass coverage while also being a solid pass rusher could be just what we need opposite Sheard. I'd be thrilled with either Jordan or Moore.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCunleaded View Post
    There was a PD article online, where Grossi mentioned the Browns #6 pick would be a defensive player that nobody has been talking about. I'm thinking that the underlined part is more that no middle-of-the-road fan won't know about him. So thinking to myself, realizing our needs/etc, Lombardi's ties to BBs player evaluation systems, Lombardi's LOVE for DL, guessing where our FA dollars will be spent, plus the Grossit comment, and I came up with these guys: Ansah, Dion Jordan, and my darkhorse being Johnathon Banks (CB Miss St).

I left off guys that would make sense for us at #6 (Moore, Star, etc), and looked at players in the lower tiers. I'm also not sure about a guy like Millner as a top CB prospect, but Banks also will be coming off surgery IIRC. Mingo might be in the mix, as well, but I'll wait until after the combine to add him to the list.
    I wouldn't be surprised if we are considering Kenny Vaccaro from texas. There are a number of teams who seem to have him ranked high. I also expect Dion Jordan to start flying up draft boards if he hasn't already.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 881 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Swisher33 View Post
    Mingo would be a pretty bad pick, all hype no substance. its a moot point since i think we're going to try to get Flacco since Baltimore is down to something like a week to put the exclusive franchise tag on him and havent done so yet
    If you are implying they won't franchise him, then we wouldn't have to give Baltimore anything.
    The Wine and Gold Knight Rises

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if we are considering Kenny Vaccaro from texas. There are a number of teams who seem to have him ranked high. I also expect Dion Jordan to start flying up draft boards if he hasn't already.
    You're right, I totally forgot about Vaccaro. In thinking how in-tune Lombardi is to BBs player ranking system, Safety is a very important position; I'm just not sure if Horton would prefer a veteran at that spot-due to its importance. So now the group is Jordan, Ansah, Vaccaro, and Mingo (who I have considerably lower than the first three prospects).

I'm sure Mingo and Vaccaro will have very good to great performances at the combine; I am REALLY excited to see how elite Jordan and Ansah end up during the week. Ansah was a 200m scholarship athlete to BYU, and Jordan's athleticism has already been mentioned (he has covered the slot zone).

Thanks

What?! A safety top 5? I know Lombardi has had some bonehead moments, but there is no way they can be that dumb.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftsafeties.php

Short excerpt:

No team that drafted a safety in the top 15 since 1991 has won a Super Bowl with that player on its roster. And as you can see, teams that spent top-15 picks on safeties were 242-284 (.460) with that prospect on the roster.

Furthermore, if you exclude the records of Roy Williams and Patrick Bates, who didn't contribute much to their team's success (Williams struggled when the Cowboys went 13-3 in 2007 - thus his bloated record), teams that used top-15 picks on safeties were 160-219 (.422) with that prospect on the roster. And here I thought top-15 picks were supposed to help each team improve.

But wait a second. Eric Berry is obviously going to be better than Donte Whitner and LaRon Landry, correct? We can only speculate, but it's pretty much safe to say that Berry will be a great safety in the NFL. Does that change things?

Well, let's look at the two hits. The (both) late Sean Taylor and Eric Turner were Pro Bowl-caliber safeties. The Redskins and Browns were a combined 62-77 (.446) with them on the roster. Moreover, Taylor and Turner helped their teams reach only two playoff appearances in nine combined seasons in Washington and Cleveland, respectively.

Now, you may exclaim, "It's not Taylor's fault the Redskins were 21-27 with him on the roster; they had tons of other holes!" And that's precisely the point of this article - as good as Taylor was, he just didn't impact the result of Washington's games. The safety position is just not important.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

That article about the safety position is so far off base. I guess the running back position isn't that important because the Vikings missed the playoffs when they had Adrian Petterson, the Skins with Clinton Portis and the Jets with Curtis Martin. The QB position must not matter either because the Giants missed the playoffs with Eli Manning and the Saints with Drew Brees. The Steelers missed it with elite WR's, so that position must not matter either.

By no means am I saying to draft the safety in the top 5.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Voice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 2,882 Posts

No team that drafted a safety in the top 15 since 1991 has won a Super Bowl with that player on its roster. And as you can see, teams that spent top-15 picks on safeties were 242-284 (.460) with that prospect on the roster.
    lol.

Not sure if serious...
    The artist formerly known as cmstophe

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 1,671 Posts

I'm torn as to who the Browns should pick. Mingo is intriguing but he's smallish and didn't have the production last year we all expected. Jarvis Jones had all the production but he is also smaller and has the spinal issue. Dion Jordan has great size and he actually played 3-4 OLB. I can see them using the pick on him but he currently has a shoulder injury so there is reason for caution. Ansah has unreal size and tremendous speed but he's pretty raw, 1 year of starting experience? 3 years of total football experience? Moore I don't know much about but he apparently played a little 3-4 OLB in 2011. Werner seems more like a DE in a 4-3.

Then there is another idea. If we use some $$ in FA to get an OLB we can go get Milliner at 6. Having Milliner at CB next to Haden would make us extremely tough to pass against. That should open up Sheard and the FA OLB on the other side to get to the QB as guys won't be as open.