Page 88 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2162
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,466 Times in 5,370 Posts

Default Re: 2013 NFL Draft thread

Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post
    I've re-watched his Texas and Oklahoma performances recently. There are times where Geno looks like he has the potential to be a very good qb but on some throws you scratch your head wondering what was he thinking or where was he trying to place the ball. Overall it could be worth a gamble taking him but if we have to trade up to #1 to get him and the chiefs ask for a kings ransom then forget about it.
    Goodness no.

No way would I trade up for a QB, I'd even have to be convinced Geno is worth the #6. But it's certainly a possibility.

He can make all the throws, and is incredibly intelligent and has some decent mobility.

Plus then it begs the question of what you do with pops, considering he has little trade value.

Tough sell, especially with a couple of potentially elite pass-rushers available and a few QBs next year who could be even more intriguing.
    Manziel's reps also insist it's a hoax -- and he's never made a penis video on "It's a Small World" or any other Disney ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,755 Times in 3,472 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RappSoda View Post
    The worst part of this whole thing is that we (I) were just getting used to figuring out how Heckert will draft... I honestly think that we could've pegged that pick this year, but a whole new front office again.. I literally have no clue about how the Browns are going to move...

If Heckert were still here I think the pick likely would have been Werner (4-3) or Moore (3-4). Now that he's gone, well it's just hard to tell without knowing what happens in FA. Lombardi does like combine freaks so I hope Jordan is there when we're on the clock.
    Last edited by Yanni Football; 02-27-2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Ass pennies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 844 Posts

Would likely take Geno at #6.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 1,044 Posts

We really like big 12 qbs

Practice Squad
    Thanks

I'm still a Brandon Weeden fan and believe this offense will be perfect for him BUT I was assuming KC was going to take Geno. Now that we know they won't I am very intrigued by him. He has the tools to be a great passer with a strong arm and also possesses the ability to run and that is why I think he might be worth a look at 6 but not any earlier.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandR0cks View Post
    I'm still a Brandon Weeden fan and believe this offense will be perfect for him BUT I was assuming KC was going to take Geno. Now that we know they won't I am very intrigued by him. He has the tools to be a great passer with a strong arm and also possesses the ability to run and that is why I think he might be worth a look at 6 but not any earlier.
    he isnt worthy of a top 6 pick, lets please kill this discussion now before it actually goes anywhere. there is absolutely nothing smith possesses that weeden doesnt other than he is younger.

final two years in college

player A
    Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
    346 526 65.8 4385 8.3 8.9 31 7 152.6
    369 518 71.2 4205 8.1 9.2 42 6 163.9

player B
    342 511 66.9 4277 8.4 8.6 34 13 154.1
    408 564 72.3 4727 8.4 8.7 37 13 159.8

if you really care the top one is geno smith. basically there is absolutely no difference between the two of them other than age. and no geno smith is not a running QB.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob2the2nd For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

To be fair I could throw up RG3's college stats and it would be pretty damn identical passing wise to weeden and Geno. Throwing up the stats and saying see they are basically the same qb just isn't right. If you want to argue what both bring to the table try formulating an argument around their mobility, pocket presanse, release, leadership, and accuracy.

While I agree with you that they are similar, to say that Geno doesn't posses anything Weeden doesn't have is inaccurate. Geno posses much greater athleticism and pocket awareness, not to mention I think Geno has better accuracy than weeden and I think Geno has a better upside given his age. However I'm willing to give weeden another shot this year instead of drafting another qb.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mofire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,755 Times in 3,472 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
    he isnt worthy of a top 6 pick, lets please kill this discussion now before it actually goes anywhere. there is absolutely nothing smith possesses that weeden doesnt other than he is younger.

final two years in college

player A
    346 526 65.8 4385 8.3 8.9 31 7 152.6
    369 518 71.2 4205 8.1 9.2 42 6 163.9

player B
    342 511 66.9 4277 8.4 8.6 34 13 154.1
    408 564 72.3 4727 8.4 8.7 37 13 159.8

if you really care the top one is geno smith. basically there is absolutely no difference between the two of them other than age. and no geno smith is not a running QB.
    See people say this, but it really isn't true. I mean he doesn't run, but he does have the ability to scramble. He doesn't have RG3 speed, but I'd say his ability to run is about on par with Aaron Rodgers.

I'm in no way advocating Geno. Just pointing out he is a better runner than a lot of people give him credit for.
    Ass pennies

Thanks
    Thanked 13,466 Times in 5,370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post
    To be fair I could throw up RG3's college stats and it would be pretty damn identical passing wise to weeden and Geno. Throwing up the stats and saying see they are basically the same qb just isn't right. If you want to argue what both bring to the table try formulating an argument around their mobility, pocket presanse, release, leadership, and accuracy.

While I agree with you that they are similar, to say that Geno doesn't posses anything Weeden doesn't have is inaccurate. Geno posses much greater athleticism and pocket awareness, not to mention I think Geno has better accuracy than weeden and I think Geno has a better upside given his age. However I'm willing to give weeden another shot this year instead of drafting another qb.
    Well said.

Ridiculous to dismiss arguments based on college stats.
    Manziel's reps also insist it's a hoax -- and he's never made a penis video on "It's a Small World" or any other Disney ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Thanks

Just one guy's opinion, but he has coached both Geno and Brandon and says some more favorable things about Geno. I personally really like Geno's potential but I really don't think he's going to be available when we pick and I don't think we have the desire or the ammunition to move up to get him.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._player_i.html
    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The quarterbacks coach who tutored both Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and QB prospect Geno Smith at West Virginia believes Smith is worthy of April's No. 1 pick in the NFL draft and will be a franchise quarterback.

Although he stopped short of saying the Browns should draft Smith if he's available, it's evident he feels Smith is the more elite quarterback.

"I'd definitely take Geno with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft," said Jake Spavital, who coached Weeden in 2010, Smith the past two seasons and is now co-coordinator at Texas A&M. "I'd rank him right up there with some of the other top quarterbacks that have come out in recent years. He's the most complete quarterback I've coached. But if the Browns believe in Brandon and trust him, they don't need to draft Geno."

"If you're wanting to line up and use your big arm, Brandon's your guy," Spavital said. "It's all about finding what's comfortable with Brandon. Brandon has a great arm and a very fast release and he was very accurate, so we kept him in the shotgun the whole time. If you want to be more multiple and freelance a little, then Geno is your guy. That's what makes Geno so valuable. You can do so many different things with him. But you're talking about two really good quarterbacks."

Spavital said the thing sets Smith apart is obsessive film study and relentless work ethic. He said Weeden also has good work habits, but that Smith was over the top.

"Brandon studied a lot, but he did things on his own," said Spavital. "He was married and he went home to his wife. Geno, football is all he cared about. He'd take the O-line out to eat and then come back to the office and we'd watch stuff on the iPad. He was always trying to improve. I've never seen anybody study harder with the tape than he does."

Spavital said Smith, who studied NFL QBs such as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, can do it all.

"He's more of an under-center, pro-style play-action, quarterback, but he can throw out of the shotgun, play in the spread, run a zone-read," he said. "He's such a student of the game, there were times we let him check 80 percent of the game. He knows how to manage a game and he knows what everyone is supposed to be doing."

Spavital said Smith -- the fastest of the quarterbacks at the combine with a 4.56 in the 40 -- can run the zone-read option, but coaches didn't ask him do it much at West Virginia.

"If Geno went down, we had to put in a true freshman," Spavital said. "So we tried to eliminate as many hits on the quarterback as possible. We asked Geno to stay in the pocket, and if the ability to scramble and make the first down is there, take it.

"The year before I got there when he was a sophomore, he was speed-option. So he's done zone-reads, and he's done options and that's why I say he's well-rounded because he's played in every system."

Spavital said whereas Weeden loves to play all sports, such as baseball, football and golf, Smith has a one-track mind.

"He's been preparing for this situation since the day he picked up a football," he said. "He has the desire and ambition to be a great quarterback and there's no doubt he's a top five pick."

Spavital says he laughs when he sees the NFL Network's Mike Mayock rate Smith in the 20-32 pick range.

"It kind of blows my mind," he said. "If you watch the tape and see what the kid's done over his career, it's hard to find many negative things about it."

He acknowledged Smith and the Mountaineers slumped in the second half of the 2012 season, but said the five-game losing streak was a result of the defense under-performing and the coaches putting too much on Smith.

"I see him coming in and doing well right away," said Spavital. "He's going to work at it, so he's going to know the ins and outs of everything and he's actually very smart with knowing his matchups. I believe he'll have a pretty successful rookie year.

"There are a lot of guys that say 'what can football do for me,' but Geno says 'what can I do for football?' He loves the game and all of the teammates around him see it and that's why they go to war for him."
    Last edited by Goldin Brown; 02-27-2013 at 11:57 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Goldin Brown For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Nice job everyone, with the solid posts. There's been some decent posts all year-round, but it appears (to me) as if dudes are really stepping up their game this time of year.

I could see Banner/Lombardi filling holes in free agency, upgrading with young players but not going all Dan Snyder on FAs.
    CB-Keenan Lewis
    G-Geoffrey Schwartz (I'd prefer Vasquez but I recall someone saying SD is looking to re-sign him)
    3rd WR-Breaston sounds like an ideal option
    FS-Glover Quin from Houston is my favorite FA guy-converted CB, experience playing the backside of a 34 or 43, and won't demand a Weddle-esque contract like DaShon might.
    OLB-Quinton Groves has been a popular guy at this spot, I'd prefer him over Shawn Phillips as a FA; Phillips is 32ish and will likely demand a sizable deal.
    P/K-might do one FA and one rookie

Addressing all these positions with the types of guys mentioned would allow CLE to go BPA, and not be forced to have the #6 be counted on to start every rep. If we draft a guy like Ansah/Jordan, we can just let him rush the passer while while Groves holds down the starting spot; if we draft Millner, then Keenan Lewis (or Toler) can start while the rookie covers the slot WR; reaching for a FS like Vaccaro means we have Quin taking care of most of the snaps; if we draft Warmack at #6 then he's starting from day one lol.

I'm fairly certain the whispers from CLE area news folks about both Geno Smith and perhaps even the DT from UF (Floyd), are purely posturing so we can pull off a trade down (and a 2nd round pick). If we still had a guy like Childress as our OC, then maybe Geno might be more in play, but I can't imagine a more ideal OC for Weeden than Norv Turner. My gut still tells me that Chip Kelly is going to draft Geno at #4 to run the NFL version of his offense; Vick's re-signing for a one year deal is also a red flag for me. So I'll include my unsolicited six-pick quickie/post-combine mock draft:
    1) KC-Joeckel: QB has been addressed via the Alex Smith trade, and Star's EKG has (temporarily) knocked him out of the first round; LT it is.
    2) Jax-Dion Jordan: Gus Bradley knows EXACTLY how a lightning-fast DE can help a team, since he was DC on a team that drafted Bruce Irvin #14 last year.
    3) Oakland-Floyd DT Florida: Millner might be another choice, but pairing Floyd with Oakland's woeful D is pretty easy for me.
    4) Philly-Geno Smith: Chip gets his franchise QB, Vick gets one more year to get another long contract, and Shurmur is still a turd.
    5) Detroit-Dee Millner: Need + BPA is definitely here, if Millner doesn't get snagged by Oakland first.
    6) CLE-Ziggy Ansah: Of course, CLE is on the outside looking in on top draft prospects once again. I'd rather roll the dice on Ansah's potential, instead of Mingo's noted taking games off. Horton can put this guy all over the field. Also, if we sign a guy like Groves, then we can just let Ansah rush the passer and develop the rest of his game as Horton sees fit....similarly to how PIT used to develop guys like Lloyd, Woodley, Timmons, etc.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCunleaded For This Useful Post:

Cleveland Browns HOF LT Qasim Mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCunleaded View Post

So I'll include my unsolicited six-pick quickie/post-combine mock draft:
    1) KC-Joeckel: QB has been addressed via the Alex Smith trade, and Star's EKG has (temporarily) knocked him out of the first round; LT it is.
    2) Jax-Dion Jordan: Gus Bradley knows EXACTLY how a lightning-fast DE can help a team, since he was DC on a team that drafted Bruce Irvin #14 last year.
    3) Oakland-Floyd DT Florida: Millner might be another choice, but pairing Floyd with Oakland's woeful D is pretty easy for me.
    4) Philly-Geno Smith: Chip gets his franchise QB, Vick gets one more year to get another long contract, and Shurmur is still a turd.
    5) Detroit-Dee Millner: Need + BPA is definitely here, if Millner doesn't get snagged by Oakland first.
    6) CLE-Ziggy Ansah: Of course, CLE is on the outside looking in on top draft prospects once again. I'd rather roll the dice on Ansah's potential, instead of Mingo's noted taking games off. Horton can put this guy all over the field. Also, if we sign a guy like Groves, then we can just let Ansah rush the passer and develop the rest of his game as Horton sees fit....similarly to how PIT used to develop guys like Lloyd, Woodley, Timmons, etc.
    When you mention how Pittsburgh "red-shirts" and develops its rookies by bringing them along slowly, it makes me think twice about automatically picking a DE/OLB with the #6 pick. However, taking a player like Ziggy and having him learn from a Shaun Phillips or Paul Kruger would be ideal.

But, I want to echo what I have read in previous posts: We have to take the BPA and fill this team with talent. That is why I hope we don't look passed players like Sharrif Floyd, Star Lotuleli, Chance Warmack and Cordarrelle Patterson.

I really like all of the Geno Smith articles that have been posted, and I will be sure to look back at these more closely. Realistically though, can his 6'3" 220 pound frame hold up in the AFC North? Not to mention, he has 9 1/4 inch hands, which are pretty small and are such an important measurable for QBs. Hand size is important for throwing a tight spiral, pump-fakes (ask Ben Roethlisberger), and holding onto the football when taking a big hit.

EJ Manuel has hands that are 10 3/8 inches! Also, he is 6'5" 245 pounds, which would be a lot better for survival in our brutal division. I'd love to hear from Seminole fans in this thread to argue for/against this guy.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Qasim Mitchell For This Useful Post:

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 1,902 Posts

Gino is intriguing and I think the Browns need to do their homework on him. If he's signficantly better than Weeden and can be our long term answer at QB, you have to take him. If he's just a slight up grade or they think he'll never be better than an average starting QB, we have to go in a different direction. The hand size is a big deal for me. Small hands means 2 things, 1 at times a wobbling ball which will lead to inaccuracy and 2 more fumbles. If he can't grip it great then the ball is more likely to be punched out, slip in rain or he just won't be able to use effective pump fakes because of his confidence in holding the ball.

At this point, I'd love for the Browns to take Jordan assuming his shoulder injury isn't a chronic situation. If Jordan or Milliner are off the board, I'd like to see them trade down to get a Mingo or Ansah while picking up a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I think the Browns could be a trading partner for a number of teams because after us is Arizon, Buffalo and the Jets. All 3 need a QB and if Gino is still on the board at 6, the Jets or Bills can leap frog Arizona to get him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goldin Brown View Post
    Just one guy's opinion, but he has coached both Geno and Brandon and says some more favorable things about Geno. I personally really like Geno's potential but I really don't think he's going to be available when we pick and I don't think we have the desire or the ammunition to move up to get him.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde..._player_i.html
    its almost like spavital has something to gain by geno smith being drafted highly and doing well....

also spavital didnt coach weeden. spavital was a graduate assistant in OSU for 1 year while weeden was there.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,147 Times in 1,044 Posts

Lane Adkins on Geno Smith

I have a bunch in Smith in my Draft Name Drop article set to run Friday.

But, yes, they have man-love for Geno Smith.

LA

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post: