Page 19 of 132 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

Default Re: Who is our head coach in the 2013 Opener

Quote Originally Posted by onyoursix7 View Post
    What do people think of Kevin Gilbride (Giants OC)? He got a head coaching job in the 90s, but he hasn't done anything at the head coach level since. I think the Giants offense would work really well here (featured back, simple pass routes) and I wondered what everyone else thought.
    I have a feeling we might end up with another coordinator with no head coach experience.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Optomist View Post
    I have a feeling we might end up with another coordinator with no head coach experience.
    Your "feeling" is pretty spot-on, actually. It is pretty well documented that Jimmy likes the way the Steelers run things and has talked to many owners who feel the same way. I expect to see a young and hungry coordinator or assistant be the Browns' head coach. Although this time, I feel like the decision will be made with rationale and not so much personal connection playing into it. A young team needs fire to grow their confidence and identity. Unfortunately for P. Shurmur, that isn't his style and it is a waste of the youthfulness of the team.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

Has anybody talked about Bruce Arians on this thread?
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 595 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCurry08 View Post
    No and it should stay that way.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MGMT For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    No and it should stay that way.
    Why, he's 4-1 since taking over with a team many people expected to be one of the worst in the NFL....yeah he's a terrible choice
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,467 Times in 595 Posts

Edit
    Last edited by MGMT; 11-05-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Arians was the OC under Butch, nothing special. He was on staff with the Steelers until promoted to OC there, and then eventually they ran him off too. I think the Colts just happen to be hyped up emotionally against a weak schedule. I don't think Arians, who's in his 60's, is due for his big break.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Thanks

Been looking over some potentials. Got these guys from the hot list at NFL.com http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ach-candidates in no specific order. Just putting up guys who I'd be okay with and could get behind. For the record, Chip Kelly doesn't interest me, no real reason outside of he never seems to have any type of defense. Quick recap of my faves on list.

Mike McCoy:

Young (40), has 13 exp. in NFL, able to adapt his offense to whatever he has (his O gameplan led the Broncos to the playoffs last year with Jesus Christ Superstar at QB).

Perry Fewell:

Not young but not old (50), has tons of NFL Championship experience with Defense. Has consistently dealt with injuries to key players, yet is still able to get constant production by motivating his players. Well respected around the league as well.

Kyle Shanahan:

Really young (32), has 9 yrs NFL exp., son of Mike Shanahan. Seems able to design an offense to fit what he has. Somewhat deemed a QBs best friend (in a good way).

Honorable mention:

Brad Seeley:

A bit older at 56, but just seems to get the most out of his units. Would be higher on my thoughts if he was younger

Out of those guys, if I had to choose today. I'd go Kyle. He's extremely young and could lead team for a long time. If Haslam is going in the direction of whoever he picks he wants to be here 15+ years, that's who I go with. Plus I think he's the only candidate of those 4 that we could interview early as the other 3 will most likely still be on teams in the Playoffs and won't be available to interview until later.

Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 699 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCurry08 View Post
    Dunno, what did 92.3 or the Bleacher Report say?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gymbo View Post
    Dunno, what did 92.3 or the Bleacher Report say?
    92.3 had the bleacher report on today. They said Chip Kelly, they see the Browns taking a QB in the first round, Browns need a guard, OLB, and a veteran WR.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,296 Times in 1,824 Posts

92.3 had the bleacher report on today. They said Chip Kelly, they see the Browns taking a QB in the first round, Browns need a guard, OLB, and a veteran WR.
    So, Chip Kelly won't be helping Brandon Weeden handle the Cleveland weather in his system next season?

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Breaking: Jon Gruden Eyeing a Return to Coaching

Published Nov. 8, 2012
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

WalterFootball.com has learned from sources that former Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden is eyeing a return to coaching. Sources around him have shared that he is looking into different assistant coaches around the league and seeing what their potential availability will be after the 2012 season.

One coach that Gruden is said to be interested in is fired Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo. The long-time Eagles assistant was on the same staff with Gruden in Philadelphia under former head coach Ray Rhodes. Castillo was an offensive assistant and tight ends coach while Gruden was the offensive coordinator. Following Gruden's departure for Oakland, Castillo remained to work under Andy Reid as a tight ends coach, offensive line coach and defensive coordinator. Reid and Gruden have also coached together, and Castillo carries a significant endorsement from Reid.

Other coaches whom Gruden could be interested include former special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia. If the Chargers fire Norv Turner and his staff, Bisaccia could potentially land with Gruden. The two had a close relationship in Tampa Bay (2002-2008), and Bisaccia was always extremely loyal to Gruden.

Gruden last coached in 2008 with the Buccaneers. He is 95-81 in his career as a head coach with a 5-4 record in the postseason. Gruden led Tampa Bay to its lone championship in Super Bowl XXVII. Since getting fired by the Bucs, Gruden has stayed active, learning different offenses and defenses in pro and college football. He spent time with Chip Kelly learning Oregon's spread attack, so if Gruden returns to the NFL, he could feature a new and unique offense.

Sources have said that Gruden's return to coaching is dependent on it being a perfect situation. He isn't interested in smaller-market teams like those he has coached at previously. Gruden wants a big-market team with good ownership and some talent on the roster. Thus, teams like Dallas, Philadelphia and the New York Jets could be potential landing spots if they make a change.

Sources have said if Gruden doesn't love the opportunity, he's perfectly happy to continue his work with ESPN on Monday Night Football. However, they indicated that this year has been different than the past few, and Gruden has more motivation to return to coaching in 2013.
    http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rn-to-coaching

FWIW
    Last edited by Sly; 11-08-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,674 Posts

Was it Matt Miller from the Bleacher Report? He is the president of the Brandon Weeden Hater Club. No shock he thinks the Browns will be drafting a QB in Rd 1 next year.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,589 Times in 1,674 Posts

I'm sure someone has brought his name up and I'm too lazy to look into it but Brian Billick could be an interesting hire.

He was the O-Coordinator for Minnesota back in the 90s with Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss and Chris Carter. They were a very potent offense and set a number of NFL offensive records in 1998. He was the first choice of the expansion Browns but went to Baltimore instead and won the Super Bowl in year 2. While a head coach his team was known for their defense rather than their offense but his team was always well disciplined and performed at high levels most of the time (4 10+ win seasons in 9 years). He's a hard ass who demands a lot of his players and never looked happy on the sidelines. A good quality to have in a head coach. He's been an NFL Network contributor and does play by play for Fox. His coaching tree is pretty solid as well. Jack Del Rio, Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Rex Ryan, Mike Singletary, Mike Smith. Not all great head coaches but some of the better coordinators.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Phills14 For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks

I bet Gruden is going to Philly.
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr