Page 28 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 1,765 Posts

Default Re: Who is our head coach in the 2013 Opener

3 more wins and beats Pittsburgh.

Do that, and I would probably keep him. Don't, and he can be fired.

This is a talented football team, and they are turning the corner. Only game they have left where they will be painfully out gunned is the Super Bowl contending Broncos.

Rising out of the ashes

Thanks
    Thanked 5,653 Times in 2,600 Posts

If we beat the Broncos and Steelers again, keep him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 178 Posts

I checked the OBR, in terms of new coaches here is what they said in a nutshell:

-Chip Kelly is not a guy they will pursue, neither is Gruden. The Browns are interested in Cowher but he does not want to leave his position at CBS. KC Chiefs are also a team interested in him. Nick Saban is the coach who is held in the highest regard by the organization. Chances of him leaving the NCAA will increase if he wins the National Championship game.

-Another team to keep an eye out for is ND coach Brian Kelly. He is seen as a good communicator and someone who has an eye for talent and can develop it. He is gaining traction within NFL circles for a head coaching position.

-Joe Banner is one who wants to have complete control over everything and it is expected that Heckert will not be back next year as he will not accept a reduced role within the organization. Barring something drastic, Pat Shurmur will be gone too.

-Had Joe Banner been with the Browns last year, he would not have taken Brandon Weeden with the 22nd pick. The team is still non-committal about the QB next year.

-Mike Lombardi is someone who could join the organization, although the scenario is very unlikely. Lombardi is chomping at the bit to return to the NFL and Banner would like to control everyone.

In my opinion, the team shouldn't touch Lombardi. I have heard nothing but negative stories about him and his drafting history is atrocious (look at Browns teams in 80's and his work with the Raiders). This team should keep Heckert unless they can find someone better. He has done a solid job adding talent to this team and we are 1 more draft away from being a contender. I have no problem firing Shurmur but this team should keep Dick Jauron (much like what Pitt did with LeBeau).

Joe Banner really scares me. He is a businessman and shouldn't be meddling in the player side of the organization. He should not be picking players or suggesting free agents to sign. He should let Heckert draft and continue to build this team. This team doesn't need another rebuild, we are a few more players away. Heckert has laid a great foundation, no point in blowing it up now.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GonzoRatso88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

I'm not at all excited at the prospect of Banner controlling everything. Everything, everything I've read about the guy says he's a good cap guy who shouldn't meddle in football affairs. Browns get new owner, he brings in someone to run things who shouldn't be running things.
    Last edited by Gary Barnidge; 12-02-2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Ass pennies

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gary Barnidge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 1,765 Posts

Let the chips fall where they may.

I'm done believing rumors. The OBR talks out of both sides of their mouth and quite frankly, I'm done with them.

Rising out of the ashes

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

If he hits 7 wins you might as well keep him. Were already at 4 wins, which is about where 80% of everyone had us finishing bc of this a schedule. Ive been hard on Shurmur but there has been some brights spots the last few games. Had we won the close games we wouldnt be complaining about Pat. Philly, Balt, Ind, and Dallas all were winable. Hell 3 of those games were one catch away from victory.

I see growth, but i still see Pat being Pat. Its a tough call. I definitely do not want a coach to blow it up and bring in his guys bc were already making too many great strides as a team. Blowing it up to build your way just proves your an idiot, not a genius.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 594 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Coc Rhakalu View Post
    I'm not at all excited at the prospect of Banner controlling everything. Everything, everything I've read about the guy says he's a good cap guy who shouldn't meddle in football affairs. Browns get new owner, he brings in someone to run things who shouldn't be running things.
    This scares the hell out of me.

Don't just stare at it.. A Squared's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    Me too. I haven't liked anything that I have heard about this Banner guy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    Would be in line with our normal course of action. I really don't want a new GM

Thanks

Hasn't Banner already said that he will not have anything to do with drafting? I believe he said the final decision for the players on the team will go to the head coach but that doesn't mean he will be delegating the draft away from the GM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,232 Times in 2,478 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
    If Shurmur wins 3 out of the next 4, it will be much more difficult to justify firing him. Not saying I want to keep him but you can't argue with results. 7-9 and being competitive in every game with a tough schedule is worth something.
    Problem is we are just a mediocre head coach away from being in the playoff hunt. I understand that he's learning, and that he;s young, but that TO he called without challenging the play was as egregious of an error as a HC could make...and he makes them all the time.

That said, if Shurmur wins 7 games, I could see him sticking around.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Damage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 571 Posts

The more I hear about Banner, the more scared I get. I remember listening to 92.3 the Fan when they were talking to someone from Philly about Banner. He said the team started to go downhill when Banner started making decisions on personnel. It's sounding more and more like we could suffer the same fate.

Rising Star
    Thanks

Heckert's drafts have been pretty solid with a ton of guys that are playing significant roles:
    2010: 3 starters (Haden, Ward, Lava) plus Hardesty
    2011: 4 starters (Taylor, Sheard, Little, Pinkston) plus: Cameron, Skrine
    2012: 5 starters (Richardson, Weeden, Schwartz, JMJ, Gordon) plus: Hughes, Winn, Benjamin

One reason I see him possibly leaving is that whoever comes in to be coach will want personnel decision making as well. That kind of thing always goes well....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the OBR say two weeks ago Gruden and Cowher want to return to coaching?
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

I've seen way way WAY too many examples of inept coaching to keep Shurmur around even if he runs the table from here on in. Remember how Mangini won the last 4 games his first year here? All that did was delay our rebuild for a year in the wrong personnel. Hire someone who's hopefully a competent head coach, and please dear lord don't let Banner get power hungry and start to dictate personnel. I'd love to keep Heckert on as I think he's done a great job for the most part, but it seems like that won't be happening.