Page 21 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast
    All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,289 Posts

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Francona hired)

More Grady discussion from Nick Cafardo:

Agent Joe Urbon tells Cafardo that all is quiet on Grady Sizemore. The 30-year-old has bad knees but there is hope that he can turn the corner. The agent says his client will play again, but it seems he would have to come in on a minor league/major league deal with incentives, similar to Jason Bay.

I still say he ends up back in Cleveland on a minor league deal or a very small one year major league deal ($1 M max). He's familiar with the Indians and the medical staff, which gives him his best chance at saving his career. I wouldn't be against it either - if it's on a minor league deal, why not? I'd give both he and Bay - who are good friends - minor league deals and hope one of them sticks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 624 Posts

I swear I remember hearing during the season that Swisher wanted $100+million. He's 32 probably wants a 4-5 year deal. If we were to sign him I'd think 3 years would be perfect for him. Here's an article Rosenthal had on his twitter yesterday.

Most of the talk around the Indians this offseason revolves around which players they will trade, from right fielder Shin-Soo Choo to shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, right-hander Justin Masterson to closer Chris Perez.

Yet, according to major-league sources, the Indians aren’t limiting their search to improve, even while considering moves that seemingly will result in a step backward.

In fact, club officials are checking in on most of the available players in trades and free agency, even ones who seemingly will be out of their financial reach.

Case in point: Free-agent outfielder/first baseman Nick Swisher.

The Indians likely stand no chance of signing Swisher, who is drawing interest from a number of clubs and could emerge as a viable alternative for teams that fail to land the market’s biggest prize, Josh Hamilton.

Swisher, though, is from Parkersburg, WV, a city not far from the Ohio border. He attended Ohio State University. And, like most players, he holds new Indians manager Terry Francona in high regard.

Does any of that mean that the Indians will sign Swisher? Of course not. But just as teams act as buyers and sellers at the trade deadline, the Indians could function as both this off-season — and maybe even pull off a surprise.
    Last edited by Juicy; 11-26-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    “Take your comebacks, write them down on a sheet of paper. Roll it up tight, soak it in water, freeze it overnight, then jam it up your ass.”

All Star
    Thanks

I like Swisher, but not at $100 M.

The Indians should target three types of free agents:

1) Free agents still under 30 years of age

Examples: B.J. Upton, Brandon McCarthy, Anibal Sanchez, Francisco Liriano

2) Free agents on 1 year deals that are looking to re-establish their value (and can be used as potential trade bait)

Examples: Shane Victorino, Erik Bedard, Dan Haren, Shawn Marcum, Roy Oswalt, Jonathan Sanchez, Kevin Youkilis, Carlos Lee, Ryan Dempster

3) Free agents who will only command small, one-year deals or even minor league deals (Low risk, high reward)

Examples: Carlos Pena, Jason Bay, Grady Sizemore, Dallas Braden, Daisuke Matsuzaka

Thanks

Here's some things I found on MLBTradeRumors

- Anibal Sanchez's demands for a six-year, $90MM contract are "crazy, and he's probably going to get it," an executive tells Passan.
    - A number of teams, including the Indians, are scouting left-hander Scott Kazmir, Olney writes.

So we can say goodbye to any chance of signing Sanchez. We probably could get Scott Kazmir for dirt cheap, considering he pitched in some independent league last year.
    “Take your comebacks, write them down on a sheet of paper. Roll it up tight, soak it in water, freeze it overnight, then jam it up your ass.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Juicy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 679 Posts

Scott Kazmir, hmmm. Not that enamored, doesn't have the same stuff. Wonder if he could be a bullpen arm.

Funny how in the end, the scouts were right- he would lose enough over time due to his lack of size. Have to wonder if Lincecum isn't headed down the same road. Different styles, but both were short and had control issues.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks

I'd look at McCarthy and Liriano - both are young, both have front-of-the-rotation upside, neither should get outrageous dollars.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,595 Times in 4,866 Posts

Is McCarthy even cleared to play?
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    I'd look at McCarthy and Liriano - both are young, both have front-of-the-rotation upside, neither should get outrageous dollars.
    McCarthy is someone to keep an eye on, but an absolut no on Liriano. He is a left-handed Roberto Hernandez, he has as much front-of-the-rotation upside as the former Fausto. In fact, the two are dopplegangers IMO- if you really want a pitcher with a good arm but no command, who has had one good year in the last four, and hasn't developed a lick since their rookie season then just stick with the one we already know. Id rather gamble on a guy with arm trouble like McCarthy than try to solve a supposed 29 year old's command/make up issues.

I really wonder what the market will be for McCarthy. Teams get uberstupid, but the one area they do show restraint is long-term dollars for pitchers who don't say healthy, like McCarthy. I have been trying to find a young pitcher similar to him to target (former top prospect, injury+flakiness issues) but I am not coming up with much. Jeremy Hellickson? I'll try and dig up something.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    Is McCarthy even cleared to play?
    He was cleared back on the 14th. Not really that surprised, though, while he needed the surgery to ease the swelling the initial injury wasn't so awful that I would expect him to be out for too long. Had it occurred from a bigger initial injury- say, your head bouncing off the windshield/steering wheel or off the concrete- I might expect more longterm damage but not from what he had. Plus, they caught the swelling right away and got him in, so I could see the damage from that being limited, too. Either way, good for him.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks

I'd love to see McCarthy here. I'd give him 3 years, $24 M. We need to take a risk somewhere - the best idea is to do so with a SP, the team's most-glaring weakness.
    Last edited by sgm405; 11-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'd also love to see McCarthy's wife here too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Juicy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,595 Times in 4,866 Posts

3 years 24m for McCarthy is absurd, IMO.

Given his injury history, you're putting your head right in the lions mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

What were those tenders we gave Choo, Masterson, Perez yesterday
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Thanks

I know a lot of us on here are more than likely not to happen with the signings so far this offseason, however we need to look at it in an objective point of view. Throughout the offseason many of the posters on here who follow the tribe closely have acknowledged that our upper level minor league talent just isnt there because we are pretty heavy in the lower levels. I think these acquisition are being used to help bolster our system and hopefully hit on a player here and there. Why i as much as anyone want to get some meaningful big league talent signed at some point, I also understand the need to get our minor league system back where it needs to be to benefit the tribe in the future.