Page 63 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 Times in 3,552 Posts

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Francona hired)

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

Nothing new on Cabrera trade front, but hearing Indians still not getting anything close to what they would want for Choo if they dealt him.
    Lastoria also answered some questions on twitter today:

terry‏@terrym0516

@TonyIPI Everyone is predicting Swisher to the Indians.What do you think?

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@terrym0516 We'll see. I'd like it to happen, but knowing how things always go, I expect a last minute team to take him away.
    Kyle Heymann‏@kkholiday10

Hi @TonyIPI if Indians get Swish for 4yr $50mil +, do you think they could land Edw Jackson for 3 yrs $36mil +?

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@kkholiday10 Swish probably more like 4/56. Also E-Jax market is heating up. Probably takes 4 year deal at 11-13M per (maybe even 5 yrs)
    Hiram Boyd‏@hiramboyd

@TonyIPI You think the Indians are going to revisit the DBacks deal??

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@hiramboyd Yes. So much work into that deal that I would be surprised if nothing comes out of it.
    Brian Cline‏@Brian_N_Cline

@TonyIPI what are chances of us signing swisher and/or acquiring/signing starting pitcher?

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@Brian_N_Cline they want swisher, but question is does he want them. seems to be holding out for other teams to enter mix. 50-50
    (Talking about Carrera getting the spot if the Tribe is unable to sign a bat)

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@mcdeighan he's a marginal 4th OF. They are gunning for a legit bat in FA. Swisher, Ross, etc.
    Stephen Bartek‏@stephen_bartek

@ABAOSTO @TonyIPI gino...let me help you. We got nuthin'! We drafted so poorly that we actually have zero to offer any team

All Bets Are Off‏@ABAOSTO

@stephen_bartek @tonyipi - Im not giving up hope yet. This team is going to surprise us with some kinda move

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@ABAOSTO @stephen_bartek Theyre going to get something done. People may agree/disagree on the move, but at least one significant move coming
    Stephen Bartek‏@stephen_bartek

@TonyIPI @ABAOSTO there are more pieces out there for trade possibilities. Problem is nothing to give in return. The young ss is off limits

Tony Lastoria‏@TonyIPI

@stephen_bartek @ABAOSTO actually lindor is available, tho the cost is high. But thats why cabrera is being shopped to get the pitching need

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoes22 View Post
    McCalister is a #2 pitcher? I've seen nothing out of him that indicates he can be that good.

Also, the person who said that the Indians can trade Choo if we sign Swisher...I don't see it. We're not going after Swisher to get more depth, we're trying to fill a hole. You also have the added complication that Swisher would want to DH some days. If you trade Choo...you have Brantley as the only competent outfielder on the roster.
    Whether or not Swisher is signed, there's no doubt the Indians are looking to trade Choo. No chance to re-sign him with satan himself as his agent.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,349 Times in 2,891 Posts

Yan Gomes? Lars Anderson?

Da.... fuq are these guys?
    The artist formerly known as cmstophe

Thanks
    Thanked 11,600 Times in 4,869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
    I don't know why you're being hostile, I was making a joke based on the fact that they are literally handing out money now.
    I wasn't joking, I make shit money and wouldn't be opposed to taking 1% of Greinke's signing bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Its supposed to hurt RealKingofCleve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Thought this was quite comical.

Carry on.
    The second quote you posted (the first thing I said, trying not to confuse you again with simple statements) was complete sarcasm jibbing the people throwing out ridiculous trade scenarios. Thought that was obvious.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 679 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    It concerns the Indians as well. Trading for Aviles allows them to deal Cabrera for pitching. Signing Swisher would allow them to do the same with Choo. I think we have three solid, young rotation options right now - Masterson, Carrasco, and McCallister. What we need is a young SP with ace potential (like Bauer, Skaggs, Hultzen).
    Adding Bauer or a Skaggs would not really help to 'win now' though. Few teams win relying on just young pitching- most of the playoff teams that ride young arms are usually doing so with late season callups that other teams have no 'book' on, ala Jared Wright, Francisco Rodriguez, etc. Trading Asdrual will still be more of a move for the future of the rotation than a move that would boost contention. Also, i think it isn't fair, either, to then put Bauer/whoever into the rotation and expect them to be a no. 2-3 for a contender. The Tribe is still in need of a veteran starter for this rotation. Unless the Tribe can pull off Swisher, I would rather see that money go to someone like Jackson. I think he is a late bloomer like Al Leiter or Dave Stewart, I think the team that finally shows him some faith will get rewarded. B00bie, chime in if you know something I don't, I hear he is a bit of a loner but I have never heard of drug issues that would make me think he couldn't handle a big contract. Still not sure why clubs shy away from him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Im just wondering where everyone is coming up with the jackson interest. Was there something saying that we have been looking at him or is this just an opinion from the board.

Thanks

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Mark Reynolds signed, Francona hired)

Hoynsie weighs in:

Cleveland Indians still looking for the right deal for Asdrubal Cabrera

By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Things move fast in the off-season. Just ask the Indians and Phillies.

Before the start of the winter meetings last week in Nashville, the two teams were talking about a trade that would have sent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera to Philadelphia for right-hander Vance Worley and prospects.

The Phillies were looking to improve their aging offense, but they didn't want Cabrera to replace shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who is signed through 2014. They wanted the switch-hitting Cabrera to play third base.

Philadelphia offered Worley and two prospects. Worley made 23 starts last season, going 6-9 with a 4.20 ERA, before having right elbow surgery in September. He was 11-3 with a 3.01 in 2011 and reportedly will be ready for spring training. The Indians asked the Phillies to sweeten the deal, but they said no.

Last week at the winter meetings, the Phillies sent Worley and minor-league right-hander Trevor May to Minnesota for center fielder Ben Revere. He'll will fill a hole in center that was created when the Phillies traded Shane Victorino to the Dodgers last season. Over the weekend, the Phillies filled the hole at third by acquiring Michael Young from the Rangers for right-hander Josh Lindblom and minor-league right-hander Lisalverto Bonilla. Lindblom made 74 appearances and registered 22 holds for the Dodgers and Phillies last season.

The Phillies, reportedly, will pay $6 million of Young's $16 million contract.

The Indians have moved on as well, reaching a one-year, $6 million agreement with free agent first baseman Mark Reynolds. He still needs to take a physical to make the deal official.

Reynolds, 28, played just 135 games in 2012 because of a right oblique injury. His 23 homers still would have led the Indians. In six big-league seasons, Reynolds has averaged 30 homers with a career high of 44 in 2009 while playing for Arizona. He is also a strikeout machine, leading the National or American leagues in strikeouts in four of the last five years.

In Baltimore's improbable run to the postseason last year, Reynolds hit .387 (12-for-31) with nine homers and 17 RBI from Aug. 31 through Sept. 8. Seven came against AL East rival New York.

The Indians still have holes in left field and DH. They've apparently closed the books on Kevin Youkilis. They wanted him to play first base, but he's apparently waiting to sign with the Yankees, Dodgers or Texas. Youkilis played with Boston and the White Sox last season.

While Youkilis fades from the scene, switch-hitter Nick Swisher still remains a target. The former Ohio State Buckeye can play first or the outfield. Last season Swisher hit .272 (146-for-537) with 36 doubles, 24 homers and 93 RBI in 148 games for the Yankees.

Swisher, 32, averaged 34 doubles and 26 homers per season with the Yankees from 2009-12. How much will it take to sign him? Well, the Indians offered Victorino a four-year, $44 million deal and he didn't have the kind of season Swisher had in 2012.

Some teams felt that the pitching market would loosen once Zack Greinke came to terms on a six-year, $147 million deal with the Dodgers over the weekend. That does not seem to be the case for the Indians.

Tribe starters posted a 5.25 ERA last season, the second-highest in the American League. Right now they have Justin Masterson, Ubaldo Jimenez and Zach McAllister as the core of the rotation. Corey Kluber (knee) and Josh Tomlin (right elbow) are recovering from surgery. Carlos Carrasco should be back in the 2013 rotation following Tommy John surgery on his right elbow. David Huff and Jeanmar Gomez are in the picture as well.

GM Chris Antonetti would like to add at least one more starter. They've been in touch with most free agents and have been in discussions on a multi-team trade with Arizona that would reportedly bring them young starters Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs in exchange for Cabrera.
    http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index...ll_lookin.html

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Mark Reynolds signed, Francona hired)

Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macbdog View Post
    Adding Bauer or a Skaggs would not really help to 'win now' though. Few teams win relying on just young pitching- most of the playoff teams that ride young arms are usually doing so with late season callups that other teams have no 'book' on, ala Jared Wright, Francisco Rodriguez, etc. Trading Asdrual will still be more of a move for the future of the rotation than a move that would boost contention. Also, i think it isn't fair, either, to then put Bauer/whoever into the rotation and expect them to be a no. 2-3 for a contender. The Tribe is still in need of a veteran starter for this rotation. Unless the Tribe can pull off Swisher, I would rather see that money go to someone like Jackson. I think he is a late bloomer like Al Leiter or Dave Stewart, I think the team that finally shows him some faith will get rewarded. B00bie, chime in if you know something I don't, I hear he is a bit of a loner but I have never heard of drug issues that would make me think he couldn't handle a big contract. Still not sure why clubs shy away from him.
    As his walks and control go down I like him more and more.

Maybe something in the realm of 8-10 million per season over three years, not between 12-15 over four years.
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Thanks
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,204 Posts

If we can get Bauer AND Skaggs for Cabrera I would do that deal every day and not think twice about it. I really hope the Tribe can pull that together. They're much better options than Worley.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shoes22 View Post
    If we can get Bauer AND Skaggs for Cabrera I would do that deal every day and not think twice about it. I really hope the Tribe can pull that together. They're much better options than Worley.
    Do that, then take the money you saved on Cabrera and see if you can get involved with Jackson.

The rotation depth would be very very good:

1 - Justin Masterson
    2 - Ubaldo Jimenez
    3 - Carlos Carrasco
    4 - Trevor Bauer
    5 - Tyler Skaggs
    6 - Jeanmar Gomez
    7 - Zach McAllister
    8 - Corey Kluber
    9 - Danny Salazar
    10 - TJ House

Add in the inevitable free agent signing to add to that, and they could find five capable guys eventually, starting with Masterson, Jimenez and McAllister as locks for the rotation thus far.

For the record, I'd rather have Archie Bradley instead of Bauer. But the need to MLB ready pitching and Arizona's eagerness to get rid of Bauer probably takes that off the table.
    Last edited by AZ_; 12-11-2012 at 12:06 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 615 Posts

I really don't see the Indians getting BOTH Bauer and Skaggs. Most reports say it is one or the other. The only time I saw both included in the same deal had us including Choo, as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,955 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    The only time I saw both included in the same deal had us including Choo, as well.
    I'd do that in an instant.

Rising out of the ashes

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Choo and Cabrera for Skaggs, Bradley, Corbin and Kubel?

Deal.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post: