Page 100 of 149 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 2233
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,655 Times in 2,601 Posts

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Mark Reynolds signed, Francona hired)

Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    Hafner isn't even very good on the rare occasions he plays.
    You are so right...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    Hafner isn't even very good on the rare occasions he plays.
    Before the Mark Buehrle fastball to the head Hafner was one of the best power hitters in baseball, and had one of the best batter's eye I'd ever seen. That's still gotta be in there somewhere.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to shoes22 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,619 Posts

Default Re: 2012-2013 Indians Offseason Thread (Mark Reynolds signed, Francona hired)

Quote Originally Posted by EERSandBROWNS View Post
    I'd be all for bringing Hafner back. I know most don't agree, but you'd just have to go into it knowing he's automatically going to play less than 100 games due to injury most likely.

I like the idea of alternating position guys there for a semi-off day every once and a while....but I still think you could do some of that with Hafner on the roster. He'd probably come pretty cheap and is still a decent hitter when healthy.

I'd do it provided it is explained to Hafner he's getting at least 2 days off a week to both try and keep him healthy and to get Kipinis/Santana/Swisher(?)/etc. a partial day off.

I understand he'd be taking up a roster spot, but let's face it.....it's not like that roster spot is going to a stud if they don't sign Hafner.
    It just doesn't make sense to waste a roster spot on a guy who can't play a position. We're much better served using that spot on a utility guy and just rotating our DH to get guys rest.

I see no upside to bringing Hafner in. Even if he's healthy, is he going to produce any better than a DH platoon of Santana/Kipnis/Cabrera/Reynolds/Brantley/Free Agent RF? Doubtful.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 971 Posts

I'd rather just sign a more durable player, instead of having to scramble for a Triple A player half way through the year when his injuries start to kick in.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,079 Times in 3,552 Posts

Hoynsie:

It's been a winter of work for new Cleveland Indians manager Terry Francona

By Paul Hoynes, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- During the latest leg of the Meet Terry Francona Tour, he went from the winter meetings in Nashville, Tenn., to the Dominican Republic to wining and dining free agent Nick Swisher last week in Cleveland. In between there were stops in Tampa, Fla., and Yeehaw Junction, a tiny dot on the map marking the convergence of the Florida Turnpike, US 441 and SR 60.

Francona is resting in Arizona for the holidays, but it will not be long before he's moving again. He's scheduled to make a January stop at the Texas Baseball Ranch in East Texas to see new Indians pitcher Trevor Bauer lead a pitching clinic. Then it's back to Cleveland and finally onto Goodyear, Ariz., for spring training with pitchers and catchers reporting Feb. 10.

"I was in Boston for eight years and I knew everybody," Francona said. "I don't have that with these guys and it's driving me crazy."

Francona managed the Red Sox from 2004-11. He won two World Series and averaged 93 wins. The Indians, who have lost 93 or more games in three of the past four years, hired him as manager Oct. 6. He's been on the job for less than three months, but things have been hopping.

Francona's most pressing concern is waiting for his phone to ring with word of Swisher's decision. The Indians have made the switch-hitting outfielder a four-year offer for an estimated $50 million. Three other teams -- believed to be Seattle, Texas and Boston -- are said to be bidding for Swisher, whose camp is not expected to make a decision before Christmas Day.

If Swisher signs with the Indians, it would complete their starting outfield along with Michael Brantley and Drew Stubbs. It would be a big acquisition for the Tribe and a big loss if Swisher goes elsewhere.

Francona has named his coaching staff and been involved in GM Chris Antonetti's two biggest off-season moves to date: the signing of free-agent first baseman Mark Reynolds and the acquisition of Bauer, Stubbs and relievers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers for Shin-Soo Choo, Jason Donald, Tony Sipp, Lars Anderson and $3.5 million in a three-way deal with Cincinnati and Arizona.

"I thought Chris did a phenomenal job," Francona said. "Choo is a really good player, which is the reason we were able to get so much in return. But he's a Scott Boras client and he has one year left before he becomes a free agent."

"Bauer is a good pitcher. Two years ago he was the No.3 pick in the country. There are some unorthodox mechanics, but we need young pitching. I'm familiar with Albers from Boston and Shaw has good stuff."

"Stubbs is an excellent athlete. I think he was shocked at the time of the trade. Cincinnati is his first team and felt like they were family. But I think he recognizes the opportunity here. He has a high strikeout rate, but he can run, play good defense and hit the ball out of the park. There's a lot to like."

Reynolds, like Stubbs, strikes out too much. But he hits right-handed and he has big-time power, averaging 33 homers per season over the past five years.

"We desperately need right-handed power and he gives us that," Francona said.

In the Dominican, Francona talked to Ubaldo Jimenez, who has lost 30 games the past two years. He watched Jimenez and prospect Danny Salazar throw bullpen sessions at the Indians' academy. The Dominican winter league was at its All-Star break, so catcher Carlos Santana drove to the academy to meet Francona.

Francona saw some of the future as well. Shortstop Dorssys Paulino, who hit .355 (61-for-172) in 41 games last season for the Arizona Rookie League Indians, was working out at the academy.

When he returned from the Dominican, Francona stopped in Tampa and went to dinner with closer Chris Perez. He knew Perez spent a lot of last season taking verbal shots at ownership, the front office, fans and former manager Manny Acta.

"I know he ruffled some feathers last year, but, really, that's none of my business. This guy is good. I'm excited about watching him pitch."

The next day he drove across state to Yeehaw Junction to meet Brantley, who drove from Port St. Lucie on Florida's east coast. They met at the Desert Inn, a landmark weather-worn bar and hotel. It was either that or Subway.

Brantley, with the arrival of Stubbs, could be moving to left field after playing an excellent center last season. "We talked about that a lot," said Francona. "I told him he'd never be moved out of center field unless I talked to him first."

The next morning Francona had breakfast with first baseman Matt LaPorta. He's not only coming off surgery, but he's out of options and is going to have a tough time making the team.

"What I've been trying to do is to reach out to as many players as I can," Francona said. "Now I can come into spring training and not be meeting so many of these guys for the first time. We've already got a little bit of history."

It didn't take Bauer long to wear out his welcome in Arizona. His personality, more than his unique training methods, seemed to sour his teammates. The Indians, however, are determined to make Bauer comfortable.

New pitching coach Mickey Callaway has already met Bauer at a pitching clinic. He'll accompany Francona to the Texas Baseball Ranch. Callaway and Derek Falvey, Indians director of baseball operations, are in the process of changing the way Tribe pitchers condition their arms. Part of the program will include more long tossing, a staple of Bauer's routine.

"Everyone is different. We're not going to try and clone guys," Francona said. "I want him to understand that. What I care about is a player being [talented] and a good teammate."

Compensation: If the Indians sign Swisher, they would lose those their second-round pick in the June draft. They would keep their first-round pick, fifth overall, because teams with one of the top 10 picks cannot lose it through compensation.

Plan B: Outfielder Cody Ross had been on the Indians' radar, but has signed a three-year deal with Arizona. The Indians were interested in Edwin Jackson and Francisco Liriano, but lost out to the Cubs and Pirates, respectively. Kyle Lohse and Joe Saunders are two starting pitchers they're interested in.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

Breaking News

According to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News, the Indians have signed OF Nick Swisher to a 4 year, $56milllion contract, with a $14 million vesting option for a 5th year
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,594 Times in 4,866 Posts

Swisher is an Indian

4/56

Vesting 5th year at 14 million
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Gee-Mail in KG's Inbox BlueSeats626's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 417 Posts

llgauskas desire shall not fade and powder blue seats' bygones be bygones

- RandolphKeys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 623 Posts

IT'S A FESTIVUS MIRACLE!!!!
    “Take your comebacks, write them down on a sheet of paper. Roll it up tight, soak it in water, freeze it overnight, then jam it up your ass.”

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Juicy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Anyone know the terms of the vesting option on that fifth year yet?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,594 Times in 4,866 Posts

The Indians will lose their second round selection this June.

They also have an extra pick later in that round.
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

Missing the 2003 Draft AanandM7's Avatar
    Thanks

According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Vesting Option will be easy to get.

I'm not crazy about Swisher, nor the contract, but I can't complain about the signing. I admit that if they were outbid, I would've complained about them low-bailing, so I will give credit where it's due. It's nice that they recovered from trading Choo quickly and didn't put a bandaid on the position. So does this mean it's Swish in right, Brantley in left, and Stubbs platoon?
    "I just got a feeling for the city that if you’re a part of the culture, like the Cleveland Browns , Cleveland Indians whatever the case may be, they will go to war for you." - Daniel Gibson

Thanks

Beautiful surprise to wake up to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 747 Posts

Woke up with a fever for a reason...

ALL THE WAY ! ALL THE WAY ! ALL THE WAY !

Last edited by ReAL DeAL; 12-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ReAL DeAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyro For This Useful Post: