Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by mAo_mAo View Post
    AV would be a great insurance policy to Bogut and would be a great fit to GS. I would do AV/Sacto pick for Biedrins and Barnes.
    Should have been done on draft night. He would fit pefectly with dion and kyrie.

I still see okc as the most logical choice bc they need an active verteran big and have an asset we want in the toronto pick. But without a third team it wont get done. I cant see us taking back Perkins contract considering we are already doing them one favor and with the amount of bigs we have. We would need a third team who would actually want Perk (good luck with that). Atleast we have some assets to entice the third team.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Thanks
    Thanked 28,802 Times in 9,198 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mAo_mAo View Post
    AV would be a great insurance policy to Bogut and would be a great fit to GS. I would do AV/Sacto pick for Biedrins and Barnes.
    Wait...why do the Cavs want Biedrins and/or Barnes? What good do either of those guys do them?
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

All I see in this thread is us trading a core, championship piece... for hot garbage.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homestar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    All I see in this thread is us trading a core, championship piece... for hot garbage.
    However, what most people on this board realize is that, although Andy is certainly going to be more productive right now than whatever we will be receiving in a trade for him, his production will be going down while whatever we receive will increase in production, eventually surpassing Varejao's production especially when we're contending for a championship in 5ish years from now. What he does for this team right now means little compared to what he'll be doing five years from now, which is how long it might take to get to the finals. Anderson will likely be nothing even close to what he is right now in five years from now. However, a high 2013 draft pick and/or some young assets would likely be just hitting their stride by that time and be able to either increase their production as time goes on or at least stay the same, whereas Andy would only decrease in production, edging us further and further from contention.
    "For the Tank God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Tank Son, Antawn Jamison, and whosoever believes in Him, will not perish, but have everlasting high draft picks." - Tank 3:16

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Löttery Göd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 450 Posts

A few very smart posters in here are speaking the truth. Andy should have been dealt on Draft Night, and Grant failed by not doing so. Not that all this conjecture matters anyway, mind you. This FO and staff evidently plan to hang on to his "grit and intangibles" until every last drop of value has disappeared. You know, right about that window when we're hoping to become a title contender again.

Having Andy and TT on the same team is redundant anyway. Both aggressive, physical garbage men who get tons of rebounds and cannot score or create outside the paint due to their lack of shooting ability/handle. If we really view Thompson and his one offensive move (turn and dunk) as a future starter/core piece, trading Andy at the ceiling of his value makes perfect sense for a team at our stage of development. We still have a long way to go, with needs like a legit starting '3', a big who can actually score points, an entire bench...

So unless someone is ready throw a REALLY convincing "the time to contend for an NBA championship is nearly upon us" sales pitch at me, trading the Wild Thing and his questionable injury history should be priority 1A, B and C. But hey, I've only been saying that for 18 months now, and the clock on his value is still ticking away.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,505 Times in 1,185 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlegg21 View Post
    A few very smart posters in here are speaking the truth. Andy should have been dealt on Draft Night, and Grant failed by not doing so. Not that all this conjecture matters anyway, mind you. This FO and staff evidently plan to hang on to his "grit and intangibles" until every last drop of value has disappeared. You know, right about that window when we're hoping to become a title contender again.

Having Andy and TT on the same team is redundant anyway. Both aggressive, physical garbage men who get tons of rebounds and cannot score or create outside the paint due to their lack of shooting ability/handle. If we really view Thompson and his one offensive move (turn and dunk) as a future starter/core piece, trading Andy at the ceiling of his value makes perfect sense for a team at our stage of development. We still have a long way to go, with needs like a legit starting '3', a big who can actually score points, an entire bench...

So unless someone is ready throw a REALLY convincing "the time to contend for an NBA championship is nearly upon us" sales pitch at me, trading the Wild Thing and his questionable injury history should be priority 1A, B and C. But hey, I've only been saying that for 18 months now, and the clock on his value is still ticking away.
    If I remember correctly, they tried and all of the offers were terrible. You don't trade someone just for the hell of trading someone, that is how you end up with Jiri Welsh and no 1st round pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BimboColesHair View Post
    If I remember correctly, they tried and all of the offers were terrible. You don't trade someone just for the hell of trading someone, that is how you end up with Jiri Welsh and no 1st round pick.
    Please share this knowledge, because I would LOVE to see these "terrible" offers they fielded. Seems to me like these excuses only apply to the Cavs, while the rest of the league is swinging deals left and right. Seems like Dork Elvis over in Houston makes deals happen whenever he wants. The only thing worse than making a questionable trade is making no trade at all and watching your non-contending roster turn into a pumpkin.

Besides, Andy in a deal would bring us an extra pick more likely than have us trade one away. If we can get a pick in the lottery for Andy, that's huge considering all the needs this team still has.

No, I dont buy the excuses, not at all. I think this FO and coaching staff really believe all this "untouchable" talk they've been spewing the last year and a half when Andy's name comes up, and I'd be willing to bet they've walked away from at least one deal that, if details were released, would make this board blow up in a Safari style fit of rage.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    that "core, championship piece" is also 30 and extremely injury prone. on top of that, the cavs are terrible and years away from contending, at which point varejao will not be very valuable. teams know this and are not going to break the bank on him because the cavs basically have to trade him sooner or later.

edit: they have to trade him sooner or later if they actually want to have a shot at a title, i should say.

Thanks

The time to trade him is right now...not during the draft when his last 40+ documented games were DNPs.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Bettors:

13. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,685 Times in 2,066 Posts

well now that this thread has drifted from what the cavs should expect for an andy trade to whether they should have traded its time to revisit what Andy brings to this team in terms of development.

Irving has more chemistry with Andy than any other player on the team. This gives Irving a guy on the court he can trust while building a report with the the young players.

Mentoring- do not underestimate the impact of mentoring. Ben Wallace and Z had a tremendous impact on Andy. not only in how to play as a young player but what to do to sustain his career .

Game Development. Andy is going to keep the cavs in alot of games they should not be in. This gives your young core valuable minutes playing in competitive situations as opposed to repetitive minutes with the increase of games like you saw in chicago.

Championship. it doesnt matter if Andy is a bit presence on the team five years from now. You have enough players that project to be here in five years that andy's presence for their critical 2nd through 4 years of development would be embedded in those players dna.

Concistency. you still have a roster that for the most part has been with scott less than three years. Having a veteran who leads by example, plays ata high level and is not erratic is extremely valuable to a club like the cavs and not likely to be filled by free agency.

- roster make up Having a guy like andy on the squad allows the team to let guys like Jamison and parker go without replacing them. this allows the team to use the spots on younger players.

-Salary. When Andy's contract expires. It is trendng that players his age take less money regardless of performance. this is an effect of the CBA that will be more pronounced. What the Cavs can resign Andy for will ultmately be a far better value than what they could get an equivelant guy for on the roster and most likely force them to sign a lesser player for more money.

Add it all together the Cavs have every reason to be hard pressed to trade Andy unless appropriate value is provided.

Z was 29 when the Cavs drafted Lebron James

AV was 29 when Irving was drafted.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,328 Times in 2,500 Posts

If the best the Cavs can get for Varejao is a late first rounder, I really do not see the point in trading him. Scott loves him, Grant loves him, Gilbert loves him, and fans love him. Varejao to any other team is an energy big man. To the Cavs he is a veteran leader, a tough player, a faithful player, represents Cleveland well, brings in fans, and never complains. Has anyone ever heard Varejao talk about playing time or lack there of? He simply brings his hardhat every single time he plays.

Is he injury prone? Kind of. He had a major ankle injury which occurred during practice and a broken wrist sustained last year. Kyrie is just as injury prone if you consider a major toe injury and broken hand.

If you get an offer you can't refuse such as a lottery pick or a top young player, then trading him might be a viable option. But to trade him for guys like Parsons or a late first rounder is asinine. What's the point? Do we really become better? I am happy that Grant is playing hardball with teams. Varejao isn't a present you give away. He might be the present you keep.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Saor For This Useful Post:

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

Something tells me he is going to be around a long time like Z was. To the point where he is going to be a real drag on the team kind of like the last 2 or 3 years of Z.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

Thanks

Hawkins nailed it. I really don't see the point in getting just a late first rounder for him. If someone wants to give a middle first...absolutely. But if you're getting a 28th pick...you're probably going to end up having to package it with something else to move up a few spots.

I just don't see the point. That said...whatever his value is right now is probably the highest it's ever been. So I hope they're calling around.

Bettors:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Leaping strong buildings!
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,355 Times in 1,415 Posts

How about something structured around Andy+Picks for Gallo? Denver would still be plenty deep on the wings, and they're desperately in need of a defensive force in the middle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan S View Post
    How about something structured around Andy+Picks for Gallo? Denver would still be plenty deep on the wings, and they're desperately in need of a defensive force in the middle.
    denver absolutely cannot afford to give up their only shooter

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post: