Page 10 of 56 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,067 Posts

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by drewvr91 View Post
    I'd trade Andy for Josh Smith if he agreed to an extension. I don't think the Cavs are going to trade Andy anymore. I think the plan is let the team mature and then make a play for LeBron in 2014. As much as I hated to have to watch him raise the trophy 9 million times on ESPN, he needed to leave and get this new experience, and i think he will return and do this city right. He is a hard guy to hate and you know when the Cavs are being talked about to be the favorite for Finals before the season starts, hoisting up 1 plus sky's the limit Championships all that hate will be erased.
    If Andy is still on this team in 2014-2015 I doubt he will be one of our top 3 big men. Injuries add up for players, and Andy while a good player is super injury prone. He will get hurt again this year effectively killing his trade value once again after having it build up to an all time high. This is the pattern with Andy. Great start to the season raising his value, season ending injury killing his value. If he can somehow manage to be healthy until the trade deadline and he isn't off of the roster then we are never trading him.

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 534 Posts

I feel as if the injuries may have been exaggerated to drive our tank further.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigfoot5415 For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Looking at the timberwolves and they have enought assits to get a trade done. They have derrick williams, there own pick, and memphis pick. I know trading AV for anything other than a top 3pick right know is unpopular around here but that would be a good trade. We would be getting a foward who has good potential along with a pick that could easily turn into a late lottery(14) and a pick in the 20s

so going into the draft best case we would have:
    two lottery picks: top 5 and 10-14
    and two late picks: 20-30

last year we saw having alot pf picks is a great way to move up in the draft. Hypothetically speaking lets say we have our own pick in the top 5 and fall in love with a another player in the top 8 we would have enough amo to move up in the draft with 14,24, and 25 pick to get in the 6-8 rang. This is also going with already having derrick williams

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,818 Times in 4,122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    Looking at the timberwolves and they have enought assits to get a trade done. They have derrick williams, there own pick, and memphis pick. I know trading AV for anything other than a top 3pick right know is unpopular around here but that would be a good trade. We would be getting a foward who has good potential along with a pick that could easily turn into a late lottery(14) and a pick in the 20s

so going into the draft best case we would have:
    two lottery picks: top 5 and 10-14
    and two late picks: 20-30

last year we saw having alot pf picks is a great way to move up in the draft. Hypothetically speaking lets say we have our own pick in the top 5 and fall in love with a another player in the top 8 we would have enough amo to move up in the draft with 14,24, and 25 pick to get in the 6-8 rang. This is also going with already having derrick williams
    I would be fine with trading Varejao in a package for Derrick Williams. We'd need to take back more salary, though. Probably Ridnour or Barea depending on who Minny wanted to get rid of more. They both make about the same amount of money and we need a competent back-up PG anyway, so either one would probably be fine.

Rising Star
    Thanks

To be honest if we have a consistent set of games like last night, this team might be using its assets to get better, not worse. I don't think Andy will be going anywhere, especially considering his value to the team and what he'd likely bring back in a trade. Expect more picks to be floating around for smaller, maybe more high-risk deals. Swapping 2 for 1 picks with Dallas to get Zeller has sounded pretty good so far.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,798 Times in 950 Posts

I really think Kyrie would be pissed off if we traded Varejao. Kyrie has developed a chemistry with him very quickly. Irving also always shows appreciation for Varejao's intangibles and finishing inside. I really think Varejao is Kyries favorite player to be playing with, even more so than Dion right now.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,818 Times in 4,122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Reynolds View Post
    I really think Kyrie would be pissed off if we traded Varejao. Kyrie has developed a chemistry with him very quickly. Irving also always shows appreciation for Varejao's intangibles and finishing inside. I really think Varejao is Kyries favorite player to be playing with, even more so than Dion right now.
    Yeah, but Kyrie doesn't run the team. If you're Chris Grant, you do what's in the long term best interests of the organization, not what makes Kyrie happy this season. Do you think Kyrie would rather win a few more games with Varejao at his side this season, or a few championships down the road? Those are the types of decisions that Grant has to make. He has to weigh his superstar's short term happiness on potentially becoming a powerhouse in three to five years.

And obviously there are no guarantees that trading Varejao will net us the assets to become a powerhouse, but if the team's management thinks that it will, they need to do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IO_OGIJ View Post
    If someone wants to give a middle first...absolutely.
    A MIDDLE FIRST for Anderson Varejao?? A middle first?

Good Lord, I love that this Forum does not get a vote. Middle Firsts (15-20)

2012: Mo Harkless, Royce White, Tyler Zeller Terrence Jones, Andrew Nicholson, Evan Fournier
    2011: Kawhi Lenoard, Niola Vucevic, Iman Shumpert, Chris Singleton, Tobias Harris, Donatas Motiejunas
    2010: Larry Sanders, Luke Babbitt, Kevin Seraphin, Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, James Anderson
    2009: Austin Daye, James Johnson, Jrue Holliday, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague, Eric Maynor
    2008: Marreese Speights, Roy Hibbert, JaVale McGee, J.J. Hickson, Alexis Ajinca

There are a grand total of zero players on that list I would trade Varejao straight up for.

Players that I would trade Varejao straight up for right now from ANY spot in the last five drafts:

2012: Anthony Davis (1)
    2011: None
    2010: DeMarcus Cousins (5)
    2009: Blake Griffin (1) James Harden (3)
    2008: Kevin Love (5)

I consider 5 players drafted in the last 5 years to be more valuable to us than Anderson Varejao. Trading him for a mid-first is idiotic.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homestar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,285 Times in 1,600 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    I consider 5 players drafted in the last 5 years to be more valuable to us than Anderson Varejao. Trading him for a mid-first is idiotic.
    Here is the problem with your logic. No team is going to trade a top five pick for Anderson Varejao. Why? Because teams with top 5 picks don't need a 30 something player who has maybe 5 good years left in him. Do you know what they need? A top flight athletic youngster who has his whole career ahead of him.

Secondly, you can't just look at the last five years. Why? Because players picked later in the draft take longer to develop. You find lots of contributors later in the draft. I can name you one right off the top of my head. Anderson Varejao, one of the last picks in the draft.

If you think Anderson is going to pull in a top 5 pick you are out of your Goddamn mind.

That point aside, I don't know if I would trade Anderson for a mid-first. I think he is more valuable to us than that. But how long will he be valuable? That is another debate entirely.
    Last edited by caf; 11-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,023 Times in 792 Posts

The more I think about it the more I see the Cavs keeping Andy since they will never get fair value for him...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cafemerald View Post
    Here is the problem with your logic. No team is going to trade a top five pick for Anderson Varejao.

If you think Anderson is going to pull in a top 5 pick you are out of your Goddamn mind.
    How did you get THAT from my post?

My point was that if we trade Varejao, I'd only be willing to do it if we got a top-flight talent in return. I want nothing to do with draft picks for the guy.

The only scenario I see it working is if we trade for an All-Star player, but have to take back a bad contract as well. Any other trade results in us giving up much more than we are getting.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homestar For This Useful Post:

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    The problem is that we'd almost definitely have to give up Varejao in any trade for a key piece. He's our best tradeable player and our main asset in any potential trade.
    I wasn't arguing that we could trade for a key piece, just that we'd be really good if we did.

Thanks

Anyone ever thought that it might be smarter for us to trade TT rather than AV? I hate to say it, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I am starting to lean that way. AV seems integral to our success and I don't think that anything we got back could ever replace him.

TT + a first rounder for a quality young veteran...say a Rudy Gay type (don't blast me about fair deals he's just an example). Sounds like a better deal to me than trading the wild thing for some mid-to-low first round draft pick. Thoughts?
    Darkwing Duck, Uncle Drew and the Wild thing ...leading us out of the shadows one dunk at a time

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Loyal T For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal T View Post
    Anyone ever thought that it might be smarter for us to trade TT rather than AV? I hate to say it, and I hope he proves me wrong, but I am starting to lean that way. AV seems integral to our success and I don't think that anything we got back could ever replace him.

TT + a first rounder for a quality young veteran...say a Rudy Gay type (don't blast me about fair deals he's just an example). Sounds like a better deal to me than trading the wild thing for some mid-to-low first round draft pick. Thoughts?
    I don't get why people keep on insisting that those who are proponents of trading Varejao would accept such a return. Really, a top 10 pick + a young player (possibly even more) would be a more appropriate return for Varejao. I think that combination of things could certainly replace Varejao's production if we ever reach the finals, which probably won't be for 5 years if we're lucky. Of course a rookie's production and a 2013 first rounder aren't going to compete with Varejao's production now, but in in the 2017-2018 season? Very possibly. In the 2022-2023 season? Unless these guys are out of the league by this time, then I'd say that they're outproducing Varejao at that time. I think it's important that we get long-term pieces for Varejao. Varejao's value right now could possibly be for the short-term considering his age and injury history. The question is whether or not we want to risk having nothing to show for Varejao if he were to either fall to injuries or become so slow and worthless that he can't produce at a high level or even a mediocre level. I personally would rather take my chances with the draft picks and young talent so long as we get a high draft pick and a young talent for him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    And obviously there are no guarantees that trading Varejao will net us the assets to become a powerhouse, but if the team's management thinks that it will, they need to do it.
    I sure the fuck hope they don't think that. I was one of the only people that stuck up for Andy during his holdout and he is by far my favorite player.

Love Homestar's post about the last 5 drafts.
    Quote Originally Posted by cafemerald View Post
    Here is the problem with your logic. No team is going to trade a top five pick for Anderson Varejao. Why? Because teams with top 5 picks don't need a 30 something player who has maybe 5 good years left in him. Do you know what they need? A top flight athletic youngster who has his whole career ahead of him.

Secondly, you can't just look at the last five years. Why? Because players picked later in the draft take longer to develop. You find lots of contributors later in the draft. I can name you one right off the top of my head. Anderson Varejao, one of the last picks in the draft.

All the more reasons not to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    The more I think about it the more I see the Cavs keeping Andy since they will never get fair value for him...
    Exactly...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigErieCavsFan For This Useful Post: