Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,334 Posts

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by B Mac View Post
    This just seems to make too much sense for both sides.
    i still can't see how okc can justify that

they essentially would've traded a 22yo james harden and 27yo kendrick perkins for a 29yo kevin martin and a 30yo anderson varejao. and on top of that either trading away pj3 or lamb, too. that is....bad, especially for a team with such a bright future.

i know they have a scumbag ownership group that seemingly puts money > winning, but i just don't think presti could swallow following the harden trade with a move like that. it cuts their window of contention down considerably.

edit: okc sending lamb and pj3 would definitely be believable from their perspective. but the toronto pick? especially when the cavs will likely end up finishing worse than toronto as a result of the trade, thereby increasing the chances of toronto sending the pick this draft? that is nuts.
    Last edited by Triumph36; 11-11-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cavsfan1985 View Post
    You do know that Stat has this year and next to at a Max contract right? We would need to take back multiple 1sts to even think about that, even then, NO!
    True, but the cavs have only 27 million committed for next season, of which 9 million is AV. With Stat and Shumpert we would still be 17 million under the cap. Who exactly are you planning to sign for more than that? ( please restrict that list to players who would sign in Cleveland... )

Also to keep Andy beyond next year he will want ( and certainly get) a three year contract. If we keep him we wind up with the same cap troubles three years from now. Stat's salary will be a big expiring in 2014, which could be traded for a star cailber player looking to be traded from a declining or poorly managed team, or a team in financial trouble, exactly at the moment Kyrie and Dion will be on fire.

I also like the suggested OKC trade, and they could be just as motivated, but I am pointing out another option. If you can get the Toronto pick and either Lamb or PJ, I agree with other posters that is a better option. I am simply not so sure OKC does that, given they are a small market team, and are obviously sensitive to the cap. I think thier plan may be to bring along the youngsters around Durant rather than trading them for older guys, lik AV.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    i still can't see how okc can justify that

they essentially would've traded a 22yo james harden and 27yo kendrick perkins for a 29yo kevin martin and a 30yo anderson varejao. and on top of that either trading away pj3 or lamb, too. that is....bad, especially for a team with such a bright future.

i know they have a scumbag ownership group that seemingly puts money > winning, but i just don't think presti could swallow following the harden trade with a move like that. it cuts their window of contention down considerably.

edit: okc sending lamb and pj3 would definitely be believable from their perspective. but the toronto pick? especially when the cavs will likely end up finishing worse than toronto as a result of the trade, thereby increasing the chances of toronto sending the pick this draft? that is nuts.

Well, clearly Perkins has very negative value. OKC is openly concerned about the salary cap. His contract is bad and in this deal they are able to get out from under it. OKC has to give up a pretty significant piece just to dump himl (PJ3, Lamb, etc..). They get Varejao who's deal is one year shorter if they dont pick up his option, but who is 10x the player as Perk.

Perhaps Varejao on his own isnt worth what could possibly a top 7-10 pick, but getting out of Perk's contract, plus adding Gibson who at worst is an expiring himself, but has the potential to be a huge playoff tested sharpshooting piece for that team has to get the value pretty close. Maybe we throw one of our picks back there way to even it out a bit more, but I think the foundation is there.
    ZZZ

Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 699 Posts

With all of this talk about the pick from OKC (via TOR) and whether or not OKC would include it for Varejao, why don't we look at it another way? Instead of taking the pick by itself, what about looking to swap it?

Cleveland owns:

Cleveland first
    Miami first*
    Sacramento first**
    Lakers first***
    ---
    Cleveland second
    Orlando second

*Top 10 protected
    **Top 13 protected
    ***Option to swap least favorable pick between Miami, Sacramento, or their own with Los Angeles

Oklahoma City owns:

Oklahoma City first
    Toronto first*
    Dallas first**
    ---
    Charlotte second

*Top 3 and 15-30 protected
    **Top 20 protected

Cleveland and Oklahoma City have six first round picks and three second round picks between them. Why couldn't Cleveland deal Varejao plus some combination of their picks for the TOR pick? Or why not do something like:

Cleveland trades: Anderson Varejao and 2012 first*
    Cleveland obtains: Perry Jones, 2012 first (DAL via OKC), and 2012 first (TOR via OKC)*

*Instead of trading actual picks, couldn't they just offer to swap positions? So if the Cavs finish with the 8th pick and the Raptors finish with the 4th pick, the Cavs would move up 4 spots.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B Mac View Post
    Well, clearly Perkins has very negative value. OKC is openly concerned about the salary cap. His contract is bad and in this deal they are able to get out from under it. OKC has to give up a pretty significant piece just to dump himl (PJ3, Lamb, etc..). They get Varejao who's deal is one year shorter if they dont pick up his option, but who is 10x the player as Perk.

Perhaps Varejao on his own isnt worth what could possibly a top 7-10 pick, but getting out of Perk's contract, plus adding Gibson who at worst is an expiring himself, but has the potential to be a huge playoff tested sharpshooting piece for that team has to get the value pretty close. Maybe we throw one of our picks back there way to even it out a bit more, but I think the foundation is there.
    Gibson wouldn't even see the floor in anything other than garbage time.

I dunno. It's just crazy to think arguably the best team in the West would make not one but two blockbuster deals, getting much older and much more injury prone in the process.

There is already a lot riding on the health of Martin. Even though AV is better than Perk, that just compounds the risk of injury. How can you be confident going forward knowing so much rests on the health of two of the most injury prone players in the league?

I'm not sure if Ben was trying to hint at something or not, but if Grant somehow manages to pull off a deal like that without giving up the Cavs own pick I will be floored.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why is Kawhi Leonard being mentioned? The Spurs will not trade him.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DanRosenberg For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gymbo View Post
    With all of this talk about the pick from OKC (via TOR) and whether or not OKC would include it for Varejao, why don't we look at it another way? Instead of taking the pick by itself, what about looking to swap it?

Cleveland owns:

Cleveland first
    Miami first*
    Sacramento first**
    Lakers first***
    ---
    Cleveland second
    Orlando second

*Top 10 protected
    **Top 13 protected
    ***Option to swap least favorable pick between Miami, Sacramento, or their own with Los Angeles

Oklahoma City owns:

Oklahoma City first
    Toronto first*
    Dallas first**
    ---
    Charlotte second

*Top 3 and 15-30 protected
    **Top 20 protected

Cleveland and Oklahoma City have six first round picks and three second round picks between them. Why couldn't Cleveland deal Varejao plus some combination of their picks for the TOR pick? Or why not do something like:

Cleveland trades: Anderson Varejao and 2012 first*
    Cleveland obtains: Perry Jones, 2012 first (DAL via OKC), and 2012 first (TOR via OKC)*

*Instead of trading actual picks, couldn't they just offer to swap positions? So if the Cavs finish with the 8th pick and the Raptors finish with the 4th pick, the Cavs would move up 4 spots.
    This is similar to what I suggested in another thread, but I don't see a Cavs' interest in Perry Jones (if they liked him, wouldn't they have drafted him?). So I was thinking AV and Laker pick for Perkins plus Toronto pick AND Dallas pick, plus maybe the Charlotte pick (early second rounder), since the Dallas pick may not convey this year due to the protection. Stated differently, the Cavs get the highest two picks out of the Laker, Dallas, and Toronto picks, plus the Charlotte second rounder. (Note sure what would happen if the Dallas pick ends up in the top 20; would the Cavs still send the Laker pick?) Of course, the Cavs also keep their own pick.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,663 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanRosenberg View Post
    Why is Kawhi Leonard being mentioned? The Spurs will not trade him.
    Thank you lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,551 Times in 1,566 Posts

I was never a huge Perry Jones fan coming out of college but the opportunity to get him in a trade for Varejao is very appealing to me... PJ3 has holes in his game and there are some things I don't think but I think they're easier to swallow in a trade for Varejao then taking him in the top-5... I also think with your two, hopeful, scoring options in place PJ3 is also placed in a role much more in line with him having success... I never saw him as having an alpha type mentality, which is what scared me about taking him in the top-5 and asking/expecting him to be Batman's Robin... But now with Waiters and Irving, placing him in the 3rd role is a good role for him.. I really think with the pick-and-roll game and with what Scott asks of the bigs, it'd be a very good fit... A Irving, Waiters, PJ3 is a very nice three-some that has a chance to be pretty good down the road..

I'm all for a deal involving picks and PJ3..

In regards to OKC, I'd also maybe look to try and get Reggie Jackson out of any potential deal... He holds some potential as a backup guard to Irving and Waiters with his size and defensive potential, although his point guard skills need some work..

I wouldn't expect TORs pick and a young prospect like Lamb or PJ3... I think a more realistic and fair deal is Perkins, PJ3 and DAL '13 1st round pick for Varejao and Samuels/Leuer...

I'm also wondering how open the T'Wolves would be to a Derrick Williams-Varejao type deal... The T'Wolves are loaded at PF and SF the next few years with Love, Kirilenko, Budinger, etc., and having Williams as a backup is not going to do much with those minutes being filled... The T'Wolves could really use someone like Varejao coming off the bench and with Kahn looking to compete now, maybe he this is something that would appeal to him..

With that said, I honestly think I'd rather PJ3 than Williams for Varejao...

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,663 Posts

Is there another contender that has another teams pick that is a good pick like OKC having Toronto's?

I'd much rather have that Toronto pick than I would PJ3 or Lamb.

I'm just wondering if there's another team out there with this good of a potential deal?

Rookie
    Thanks

Does anyone know how PJIII has been doing with his supposed knee issues?

(I did some checking myself and found this article, although I'm not sure how accurate it is.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...7790--nba.html

16. The Following User Says Thank You to myriadwhims For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 430 Posts

What about a trade to the Lakers for Pau? Watching ESPN now steph A (I know, I know...) saying how pau doesn't fit new offensive system. What say those who are more educated than me?

Rookie
    Thanks

I've been spending a lot of time on ESPN's trade machine trying to figure out things like how to get Russ Westbrook away from Durant and what we can do with Andy. My best suggestion for both is in a four team trade with OKC, Memphis, Orlando, and Cleveland.

Basically, Cavs get Perkins, Wayne Ellington, Josh McRoberts, and Perry Jones III. Andy goes to OKC with a slew of others to help beat the Heat in the Finals.

Check it... http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cchndbl

Rookie
    Thanks

I don't see the Lakers trading any of their core. I'd hope they discussed the offense with D'Antoni and made sure he would be able to make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 430 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marxus View Post
    I've been spending a lot of time on ESPN's trade machine trying to figure out things like how to get Russ Westbrook away from Durant and what we can do with Andy. My best suggestion for both is in a four team trade with OKC, Memphis, Orlando, and Cleveland.

Basically, Cavs get Perkins, Wayne Ellington, Josh McRoberts, and Perry Jones III. Andy goes to OKC with a slew of others to help beat the Heat in the Finals.

Check it... http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=cchndbl
    OKC would never get rid of both Westbrook and KMart