Thanked 2,436 Times in 699 Posts

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Abandon thread...

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Gymbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,207 Times in 1,680 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SRStark20 View Post
    DeAndre Jordan makes around 10 mil a year, and he's not even close to spectacular in my eyes.

No thanks.
    Yeah I wasn't gonna say anything...but DeAndre Jordan is one of the worst ideas I've seen yet lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,933 Times in 1,492 Posts

I think a realistic and perhaps best possible trade we can hope for is:

Andy

for

Lamb, Perkins, and Toronto pick.

OKC would need to offset AV's salary, and Perkins is expendable bringing AV in. Washing Perkins and AV's salary still gives them flexibility in keeping Ibaka long term. Of course the Cavs need something on their end, and a lottery pick and Lamb would be fair compensation. Perkins would be an okay stop gap for the center position even if he doesn't fit the offense incredibly well.

I still highly doubt OKC does this, but Andy is valuable for a win-now mentality and OKC just may buy high on the big guy.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cafemerald For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,662 Times in 3,226 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cafemerald View Post

Andy

for

OKC would need to offset AV's salary, and Perkins is expendable bringing AV in. Washing Perkins and AV's salary still gives them flexibility in keeping Ibaka long term. Of course the Cavs need something on their end, and a lottery pick and Lamb would be fair compensation. Perkins would be an okay stop gap for the center position even if he doesn't fit the offense incredibly well.

I still highly doubt OKC does this, but Andy is valuable for a win-now mentality and OKC just may buy high on the big guy.
    If Varejao keeps playing like he has been that's more like buying low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    If Varejao keeps playing like he has been that's more like buying low.
    He's 30 with a injury history on a team with not many number one options. Some of these stats are inflated because of who plays around him.

The fact remains that he creates extra possessions and can score off backdoor cuts and P&R's.

I love Andy and want to keep him, but Lamb and the Toronto pick are quite valuable. I really have no interest in PJ3, but if he is included, fine by me.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cafemerald For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,758 Times in 727 Posts

Andy

for

This is the trade that keeps rattling around in my head. The addition of Lamb would go a long way towards solidifying our second unit. Having Kyrie, Waiters, and Lamb as a 3 headed backcourt monster where we keep at least two on the court at all times could really help our second unit scoring woes. Perkins obviously is not as valuable as AV, but he's at leasy a decent stop-gap veteran until we can get/draft a replacement. Obviously, the TOR pick has a chance to be gold.

I'm not saying trading AV is a MUST like I was last year, but I'd still trade anyone on this team for the right trade. This may be a trade where you can see both teams truly benefiting.
    Last edited by pr26; 11-14-2012 at 02:58 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pr26 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 971 Posts

The Thunder are not going to trade Lamb and a lottery pick for Varejao. You might be able to get one of the two out of the Thunder, but that's it. At least in my opinion. That's just too much, especially considering those were the two big pieces they got for Harden.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,207 Times in 1,680 Posts

If we can't get the Toronto pick from OKC then we should keep Varejao. Make that the price, a lottery pick.

Practice Squad
    Thanks

Despite starting this thread, I'm not 100% sure we should trade Varejao. On one hand, he is injury prone and older than the rest of the core. On the other hand he is the defensive big every team needs, is a veteran leader on a team that needs one, and, along with Irving and Waiters, is part of one of the more exciting trios in the league. That being said, getting a big who has the potential to protect the rim is essential in any trade. Varejao may not protect the rim the way Tyson Chandler does, but he does protect it. That's why trades such as Varejao and Casspi or Miles for Javale McGee, Wilson Chandler, and a first round pick, or Varejao for Perkins, PJ3, and a the Toronto pick make sense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elcheato View Post
    The Thunder are not going to trade Lamb and a lottery pick for Varejao. You might be able to get one of the two out of the Thunder, but that's it. At least in my opinion. That's just too much, especially considering those were the two big pieces they got for Harden.
    You're view 'value' the wrong way. They received good compensation for Harden (especially considering they probably weren't going to be able to keep him from a financial standpoint). However, Houston didn't give them anything of need.

Cleveland has a piece of 'need'. Varejao is a high energy big who can rebound/score effectively around the rim/and can play off the ball extremely well. He is a piece that can take a team and put them over the top with little need to 'integrate' him into the system because of his work ethic and unselfish play. I firmly believe that if OKC had a healthy Varejao last year (even without Harden) they make that NBA finals a hell of a lot more interesting. Perkins was their biggest weakness last year. And it was their undoing in the finals.

Pieces as refined as Varejao don't hit the trade market that often. Lamb and a mid lottery pick can be extracted from OKC for a piece like that. Are they willing to give it? Who knows. If push comes to shove, possibly. And you know full well that Grant will fight tooth and nail to get the best value for his players.

Thanks

OKC would never do that trade!

AV/Filler/both 13' 2nd picks or 15' Heat 1st

for

Perk/PJ3/Toronto Pick

Martin is the short term fix at SG while Lamb is the long term

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LNance For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    Last time I checked when Green got minutes as a 3rd option he did pretty well and he did that playing out of posistion in OKC. 3 straight season at 15 ppg 6 rpg while shooting roughly 45% from the field, 33% from 3 and 80% from the line...

Not his fault he ended up stuck behind Paul Pierce/KG and had his minutes cut in half once he got to Boston due to this. Since Green's been in Boston he goes for about 9 ppg 4 rbg on about 44% fg, 30% from 3 and 75% from the line in roughly 20 minutes a night..

In comparison it takes Gee 30 minutes a night to match those same numbers that Green gets now, behind PP. In case we are bad at math Gee plays 10 more minutes a game (no offense intended)

Also the reason I think the pick has a chance of being high in 2014 is because of the fact they have the majority of players locked up through next year and they are old.

KG will be 37
    PP will be 36
    Terry will be 36

At least one of those guys will fall off/break down soon, if I had to guess it's going to be KG, then Terry and PP will be the last one to fade. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded on of these 3 in the next year or so
    No, Jeff Green did not do well as a 3rd option. He had one season of above avg efficiency but in the rest, he's been nothing more than an average player without a position. Average players without positions don't deserve to be paid $9M. Jeff Green is not a starting caliber player on any respectable team. Not at the 3. Not at the 4. This year he's been bad as usual - 7.7 ppg on 7 shots? Poor defense? Still no range? Speaking of players who haven't improved, Jeff Green is a great example.

Gee is bad too. And not being paid $9M a year, which is kinda important.

The Celtics are old but again the East is so bad. Bobcats, Magic, Wiz, Pistons, Raptors, Cavs....I mean it's not exactly hard to make the playoffs in that conference.

Quote Originally Posted by RTrees View Post
    I'm not sure what you're drinking that seems to have you wanting to trade for a guy who was drafted #3, plays the center position, who's never averaged even 10 boards a game in any season, and 12.8 ppg career with a max of 15ppg as being the guy we give up Andy for AND our #4 draft pick project. Al Horford came into the NBA NBA ready and has played very well. But he hasn't improved so much and you can argue he won't get much better based on his numbers. I don't usually look so much at numbers but since I don't see a ton of presence from Horford on the floor when he does play (don't get me wrong, he's a good player), I have to look for something that makes him worth giving up a guy who brings what Andy does to this team. Andy's numbers grew more last year and having Mike Brown gone might grow more pieces to Andy's game, as we're seeing in his chemistry with Kyrie. And Thompson is already being taken for granted here because he was picked so high, but I feel like he'll exceed Horford's rebounding numbers within a few years. It's just not a good trade, especially being a 2 for 1. Horford just isn't THAT valuable in my opinion. It's just a bad trade. I think you're overrating Al Horford because he's always been a more than competent player. I'm also not impressed by one block per game from a starting center. Andy did better than that in '11. I don't find enough court presence from Horford to warrant this trade. Sue me, call me a homer, whatever, it sucks.
    Al Horford can never improve again and Tristan Thompson still won't ever be better than him.

If AV is the cost of turning a huge question mark (to say the least) into a proven, 26yo AS big then the CAvs come away winners.

Also, Horford is and always has been better suited for the 4. Same with Smith at the 3. But ATL is a poor organization and mismanagement is one area in which they excel.
    Last edited by Triumph36; 11-14-2012 at 04:45 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This Thunder team has lost a lot of pace this year. I think they will end up making an offer the Cavs won't be able to refuse.

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

This Thunder team has lost a lot of pace this year. I think they will end up making an offer the Cavs won't be able to refuse.
    Now that I think about it, if the Thunder had Varejao, they would be absolutely a terror on defense. Ibaka is the best vertical defender in the game. Varejao is the best horizontal shuffling positional player in the game. With a freak in Russ, Tough D in Thabo, Durantula's length, Ibakas crazy hops and shot blocking, and Varejaos rebounding, hustle, perpetual motion and cutting ability they'd be the best team in the league.

So under appreciated and misunderstood is Anderson. If the Thunder cut this deal they seriously could put themselves over the top with the addition of Varejao and all of the extra possessions he brings you.

They'd probably never risk it, but it would be the best trade ever FOR THEM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frank Reynolds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,343 Times in 2,890 Posts

All I want is that Toronto pick out of Anderson. I'd be happy.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post: