Page 31 of 56 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by jlegg21 View Post
    I guess I empathize with posters who try to look at this team and players like Andy objectively on this board. There's no hint of perspective whatsoever. Andy's playing really well, and that's just wonderful, but comparing him to Dwight Howard or saying he should start the All-Star Game... lunacy.

Homerism is to be expected on a board like this, but it's getting cartoonish. I mean, every time "Boobie" posts this pops in my head. "Oh no you di'int diss Andy! Whateva."

You're out of your mind. Point to where I ever compared him to Dwight Howard, please.

It is people like you I empathize for. What made you so cynical? I love how cynics are always like, "yeah dude, I'm just being a realist."

Andy is playing outstanding basketball and there is nothing you can refute in that statement. But yeah, we should trade our best player right now because "he won't be able to perform in 3 years." Give me a break. He's entering his prime, so be it at 30 years of age, just look at the tread on his tires. He hasn't played nearly the minutes of some other big time players; he still has a long ways to go.

If you want to just give away an All-Star talent, that's your opinion, but don't sit here and tell me you empathize with me because I feel differently about it than you do.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to "Boobie" Gibson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,305 Times in 2,868 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Earl View Post
    Why would having better players around Andy have him not work as hard?
    It simply means his stats wouldn't be what they are. Nobody can deny he's progressed as a player, but I'd imagine he wouldn't be getting 20 and 18 every other night if we put him on a team that had a lot more talent. Doesn't necessarily diminish his quality as a player. But the point is the team is still losing 90% of its games even with Varejao on it, so naturally people will ask if the stats are "empty."

Personally I don't give two fucks anymore, tired of talking about it. The Cavs will do what they do, I'll wait it out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Fighting the good fight! gourimoko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,209 Times in 2,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, LeBron had a mediocre team around him, but that wasn't even what Triumph was saying. He's saying that Andy would not be putting up these numbers when on a contender that has more talent (ie when LeBron was here).
    I dunno about that.. I mean, not every contender has a multifaceted wing player that pulls down rebounds. Varejao is playing out of his mind right now, and it's hard to say that he's doing so because of a lack of surrounding talent. If he had 20 points on 20 shots, I might agree. In fact, that exact argument could (and should) be used against Dion Waiters and his lackluster shooting and poor decision making - rookie or not.

Varejao, however, is playing very efficiently, is leading the league in rebounds, is out hustling everyone on the floor - including the opposing team, and is shooting at 52.5% for the season. His FT% are up, and with a significant increase in FGA his FG% hasn't declined at all, in fact it increased. What that suggests to me is a person having a breakout season rather than someone just filling a void.

Actually, I think his performance has been a very long work in progress that is now paying off dividends. I remember Mike Brown trying to get Varejao comfortable taking a bigger part in the offense with those awkward looking 16-ft jumpers... Now Varejao is a legitimate threat, and is a defensive workhorse. He's not just contributing all the intangibles, but now he's very much visible on the box score as well. It's hard to deny the progress he's made.

It's one of the reasons I'm starting to move out of the "trade him immediately" camp. If he can play like this for another 6-7 seasons (a tall order considering his injury history and the nature of his game, however..), he'd be a major piece that we'd be looking to acquire somewhere down the road. IIRC, Dennis Rodman (a comparison made recently be Avery Johnson) was 9 or 10 years in the league before being traded to the Bulls (afaik, he was 34 years old). He played well for those following 3 years.. If Varejao could get similar mileage, he could have another 5-7 seasons.

It's a lot to mull over, but with how Andy is playing now, it's hard to envision trading him for just a first round pick in the teens. It'd have to be a top-10 pick, and as I've said before, I don't think any team would part with a top-5 for Varejao and salary relief. So our options are fairly limited, but if he continues this level of play, and this level of progression in his game, I see no reason to trade him.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gourimoko For This Useful Post:

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,523 Times in 3,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jlegg21 View Post
    I guess I empathize with posters who try to look at this team and players like Andy objectively on this board. There's no hint of perspective whatsoever. Andy's playing really well, and that's just wonderful, but comparing him to Dwight Howard or saying he should start the All-Star Game... lunacy.
    The All-Star game is largely about who is playing the best basketball. Outside of the starters, of course, who are voted in by fans.

Name five forwards in the East who are playing better basketball than Anderson Varejao right now. I'd struggle to name three at this point. He's first in the league in rebounding and top ten overall in PER. He won't be starting the All-Star game because he's not a big enough name, but if he's still playing like this in two months he will absolutely deserve a spot on the team.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 Times in 870 Posts

Would love to see a Len Andy frontocourt if we cant get Muhammad. Then we would just need to sign a big name FA SF in the 2014 summer.................

Thanks
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
    Except when his production falls off because his style of play does not translate well into later years.
    italics = sarcasm
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    Would love to see a Len Andy frontocourt if we cant get Muhammad. Then we would just need to sign a big name FA SF in the 2014 summer.................
    We are gonna get both dont worry. Torontos pick will be 4-6 and our pick number 1 and we will get shabazz and len and Andy will help okc win a ring and we will call that a perfect season

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randymoss1881 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You guys realize that the team that set the mold for building through the draft isn't going to trade away a top-5 draft pick, right? Stop with the "AV to OKC for Toronto 1st blah blah blah". You're wasting your time. They won't trade that pick.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DanRosenberg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,274 Times in 584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanRosenberg View Post
    You guys realize that the team that set the mold for building through the draft isn't going to trade away a top-5 draft pick, right? Stop with the "AV to OKC for Toronto 1st blah blah blah". You're wasting your time. They won't trade that pick.
    They might not trade it for Andy, but I would expect the Thunder to trade it if they can get the missing piece they believe they need. Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka just signed extensions...they all want to win, another top draft pick isn't what Contending team looks for to win now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    They might not trade it for Andy, but I would expect the Thunder to trade it if they can get the missing piece they believe they need. Durant, Westbrook, and Ibaka just signed extensions...they all want to win, another top draft pick isn't what Contending team looks for to win now.
    True, but if you have a top-5 pick you have the potential to add a player with enormous talent and potential that could possibly contribute right away. That's a very valuable asset they have.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to "Boobie" Gibson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    True, but if you have a top-5 pick you have the potential to add a player with enormous talent and potential that could possibly contribute right away. That's a very valuable asset they have.
    I do not necessarily think that there is a player that can contribute right away that is in the 2013 draft. It would not be a good draft for the Thunder to have that kind of thinking.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Executive: Varejao ‘The Top Target’ If Available

As Cleveland Cavaliers forward Anderson Varejao continues to put up big numbers, his rise has left the organization in a difficult position. The Cavaliers are battling a question: Should we trade him or keep him?

“If he’s available, it goes without saying a lot of teams will want in,” one executive said. “He would be the top target.”

If the Cavaliers decide to trade Varejao, they want young, elite-level talent with high upside in return. Still, given the way the 30-year-old has blossomed over the past two seasons, Cleveland could very well be smart to keep him and his reasonable contract in the fold.

Across the NBA, players and coaches have had high praise for Varejao. Just last week, LeBron James said he’s been impressed with Varejao’s development.

“I think he’s probably more offensive-minded now,” Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins said. “They play through him a lot more, so he has a lot more opportunities.

Varejao is averaging 15.1 points, 15.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists and is considered an All-Star candidate this season.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...;_If_Available

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AMC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 877 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I do not necessarily think that there is a player that can contribute right away that is in the 2013 draft. It would not be a good draft for the Thunder to have that kind of thinking.
    2013 is being considered a weak draft, so i agree. It's not 2011 weak, but you'll be hard to find an impact player if you're the Thunder with that pick. If the Raptors keep it then they will have a much better chance to get an impact player, and that could screw the Thunder into seeing the pick for the following season, if not longer.

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

To me the thing that sticks out the most from today's Jason Lloyd article are these nuggets:

It will be difficult for the Cavs to get fair market value for Varejao, particularly since any draft pick they acquire would be low since it would come from a contender. The Oklahoma City Thunder hold the rights to the Toronto Raptors’ first-round pick next summer (top three protected), which should be an appealing pick given the Raptors’ struggles, but the Thunder aren’t pursuing Varejao. He would be deadly playing alongside Serge Ibaka and Kendrick Perkins, but no one polled thought the Thunder would meet the Cavs’ demands — which just might include Ibaka.

If the Cavs deal Varejao, they want young talent with high upside in return. They’d be willing to dip into their plethora of upcoming draft picks to sweeten the deal, but it would have to be an elite-level talent.

As Irving creeps closer to superstardom and Dion Waiters flashes tremendous potential, the pieces are beginning to fall into place. The Cavs could be playoff contenders as early as next season, and suddenly Varejao’s value to the Cavs would be incredibly high again.

The team believes Varejao’s hustle and knack for offensive rebounds can result in as many as six extra offensive possessions — pure gold in any playoff game.
    http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/jaso...ision-1.354617

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daytripper For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Varejao/Gibson/2013 top 10 protected CLE 1st for Kevin Love/Barea, how far apart would such a deal be?