Page 39 of 56 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,076 Times in 3,433 Posts

Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Andy was really loyal when he held out... I'm not against keeping him, but loyalty is not a reason to keep him.
    Someday Cleveland fans will realize just like fans of other teams realized decades ago that the pro athlete comes down to the almighty dollar. That is first and foremost in 99.9% of pro athletes' minds...everything else is secondary. Some could argue that is how it should be, because after all they are here to make a living.

Not trading a guy because you think he is "loyal" or some garbage is the worst way to run a business like an NBA team, especially when you consider that guy would likely cash you in for a bigger paycheck in a better market if possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Someday Cleveland fans will realize just like fans of other teams realized decades ago that the pro athlete comes down to the almighty dollar. That is first and foremost in 99.9% of pro athletes' minds...everything else is secondary. Some could argue that is how it should be, because after all they are here to make a living.

Not trading a guy because you think he is "loyal" or some garbage is the worst way to run a business like an NBA team, especially when you consider that guy would likely cash you in for a bigger paycheck in a better market if possible.
    There are certain instances where loyalty is a legitimate reason not to trade someone like Kobe, Duncan, etc. Andy doesn't fit that mold though, and it's not even close. When a player is the face of the franchise for over a decade you don't trade him.

As for money I agree athletes should chase the money. If we were offering Andy 5 million, and the Lakers offered him 10 million he should go to them. An average athlete has 10 years give or take to make money as an athlete, and after that depending on their background they have no source of income (think one and dones) to rely on. You make the most amount of money you can, and then hope it is enough to sustain you for the rest of your life, which for most of these guys it's not enough because of their lifestyle choices.

Thanks

A trade with Golden State. Andy and CJ Miles for Barnes and Bogut. might have to add some minor players to fill in the blanks. Could do Biedrins instead. Golden state has no draft assets, but they are playing very welll without a decent center. Green has been tearing it up, and has earned majority minutes at the three. Golden state has three shitty contracts in Bogut, Jefferson and Biedrins. If they can turn Barnes into Andy, they can compete. CJ can give them bench minutes on his good days at either the three or the two.

On our end, taking Bogut or Biedrins helps the tank, and Bogut in particular gives us some upside next year, which will be his contract year. He is also a big expiring contract next year. We are going to have a top five pick in a center heavy draft, so I think we pick up a young center at the top. Barnes is still a decent prospect and we have the time and minutes to let him develop.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    A trade with Golden State. Andy and CJ Miles for Barnes and Bogut. might have to add some minor players to fill in the blanks. Could do Biedrins instead. Golden state has no draft assets, but they are playing very welll without a decent center. Green has been tearing it up, and has earned majority minutes at the three. Golden state has three shitty contracts in Bogut, Jefferson and Biedrins. If they can turn Barnes into Andy, they can compete. CJ can give them bench minutes on his good days at either the three or the two.

On our end, taking Bogut or Biedrins helps the tank, and Bogut in particular gives us some upside next year, which will be his contract year. He is also a big expiring contract next year. We are going to have a top five pick in a center heavy draft, so I think we pick up a young center at the top. Barnes is still a decent prospect and we have the time and minutes to let him develop.
    We would probably have to take jefferson and biedrins but id still do the trade with so many big men in the draft. But do you think GS would trade barnes so soon?? Even is bogut comes back AV would be great for them on the bench still.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Cleveland is in a position where they don't have to trade AV. If teams like OKC, GS, etc want him, they need to pay dearly. After all
    OKC is going for an NBA championship. Even trade no way. We need some sweeteners(future picks in addition to young players with potential) JIMHO

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 857 Posts

At this point I don't think Andy is getting traded because OKC seems content with their team and if we don't make out very good in any trade for Andy, I doubt they trade him.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silky Smooth View Post
    At this point I don't think Andy is getting traded because OKC seems content with their team and if we don't make out very good in any trade for Andy, I doubt they trade him.
    They must also consider playing against him if another Western teams like GS trades for him.

Team Player
    Thanks

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b94j3he

I say if we are trading AV it should be for barnes or the okc trade. I like this trade cause we get a SF and can draft a big

Thanks
    Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,474 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=b94j3he

I say if we are trading AV it should be for barnes or the okc trade. I like this trade cause we get a SF and can draft a big
    absolutely no way the cavs should take on $20M in completely useless salary while giving up varejao just to get harrison effing barnes.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Practice Squad
    Thanks

I know this would never happen, but what about Andy, Tristan, the Cavs 2013 draft pick (unprotected), the Kings pick, and the 2015 Heat pick to Minnesota for Love and Pekovic.
    The pros for the Cavs are obvious. They get a 24 year old star who can play with Kyrie for their primes. They also get a physical presence in Pekovic who can help them establish an interior offense, something they have struggled with this year, and which sometimes stalls there offense.The Cavs do lose on defense and potentially rebounding, although rebounding likely would be at least close to evening out. The Cavs also don't actually get much younger as Pekovic is three years younger than Varejao, but Love is 2 years older than Thompson.
    Minnesota gets a decent return out of this too. They get a center playing at an all star level in Varejao. I don't pretend that Varejao is consistently on the same level as Love, but what he loses in offense, he makes up a lot of on defense. Thompson is a good defender and rebounder. Both the those guys can fit any style. If this trade happens close to the trade deadline, the Timberwolves get what will likely be a very high draft pick from the Cavs. They would still push for the playoffs, and with Rubio, AK47, Varejao, and Thompson become an excellent defensive team. The Cavs could also throw Walton into the mix and take on a long term contract the T-Wolves want out of (possibly Ridinour, Barea, or Williams) if the Cavs have to add another first round pick, so be it. Currently they have six in the next three years and going down to two in three years is worth it for Kevin Love.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,098 Times in 1,474 Posts

minnesota gets raped so, so badly.

that package wouldn't even net kevin love alone, much less love and pekovic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    minnesota gets raped so, so badly.

that package wouldn't even net kevin love alone, much less love and pekovic.
    While I'll agree that the trade proposal was out there, I think it would work to net Love by himself. Of course, Minnesota isn't looking to trade Love, so the whole conversation is moot. However...

A center averaging 15 and 15, a 21 year old Tristan Thompson, two lottery picks, one potentially being top 3, and an extra 1st round pick wouldn't be enough for Kevin Love? I like that package more than what Denver got for Carmelo, or what Utah got for Deron Williams. Hell, it's better than what OKC got for Harden and what New Orleans got for Chris Paul combined! ( Eric Gordan can't stay healthy and I think PJ3 is going to be a bust)

I know you just love to tell people how much their ideas suck, but you're just being outrageous here. That package would be overpaying for Kevin Love. Andy and a top 3 pick is a lot of asset. Throw in Tristan Thompson, another lotto pick, and another first rounder? C'mon now.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well get this out. The Sacramento pick is horribly underrated around here. We're talking about a lotto pick here. Same as any lottery pick. The odds of the Kings not being out of the cellar for at least one year (ala '09-'10 Bobcats) by 2017 is extremely low. I think of that pick as any other lotto pick. The same type of lotto pick that the majority of the board was willing to trade Andy for before he turned into Super Andy this season. We'll get it eventually. Just because we won't be getting the lotto pick in this shit draft doesn't make it any less of a lotto pick.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GQinCtown For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GQinCtown View Post
    While I'll agree that the trade proposal was out there, I think it would work to net Love by himself. Of course, Minnesota is looking to trade Love, so the whole conversation is moot. However...

A center averaging 15 and 15, a 21 year old Tristan Thompson, two lottery picks, one potentially being top 3, and an extra 1st round pick wouldn't be enough for Kevin Love? I like that package more than what Denver got for Carmelo, or what Utah got for Deron Williams. Hell, it's better than what OKC got for Harden and what New Orleans got for Chris Paul combined! ( Eric Gordan can't stay healthy and I think PJ3 is going to be a bust)

I know you just love to tell people how much their ideas suck, but you're just being outrageous here. That package would be overpaying for Kevin Love. Andy and a top 3 pick is a lot of asset. Throw in Tristan Thompson, another lotto pick, and another first rounder? C'mon now.

Also, while I'm here, I might as well get this out. The Sacramento pick is horribly underrated around here. We're talking about a lotto pick here. Same as any lottery pick. The odds of the Kings not being out of the cellar for at least one year (ala '09-'10 Bobcats) by 2017 is extremely low. I think of that pick as any other lotto pick. The same type of lotto pick that the majority of the board was willing to trade Andy for before he turned into Super Andy this season. We'll get it eventually. Just because we won't be getting the lotto pick in this shit draft doesn't make it any less of a lotto pick.
    Looking at this list, I think that's TOO much for Kevin Love. And I think Kevin Love is a PERFECT compliment to Kyrie Irving.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GQinCtown View Post
    While I'll agree that the trade proposal was out there, I think it would work to net Love by himself. Of course, Minnesota is looking to trade Love, so the whole conversation is moot. However...

Actually, you have it backwards. The odds of the Kings climbing out of the cellar are extremely low for a variety of reason, in the stronger Western conference, a weak FO, small market, roster littered with shitty long term contracts... there's a very good chance they finish dead freaking last in the West this year, in fact.

It's not likely to be a lotto pick at all, and best case, it'll be late lottery. More importantly, I'd love to hear your rationale as to why Sacramento wont continue to be awful for the next several years. Their best player is undeniably insane and their second best player is on the last year of his deal.

Here's the breakdown. I'll be shocked if we end up with anything better than a 2nd in 2017 to be honest.

2013 first round draft pick from Sacramento
    Sacramento's own 2013 first round draft pick to Cleveland (top-13 protected in 2013, top-12 protected in 2014, top-10 protected in 2015, top-10 protected in 2016 and top-10 protected in the 2017 Draft) If Cleveland has not received a first round pick from Sacramento by 2017, then Sacramento shall convey their own 2017 2nd round draft pick to Cleveland provided it is within the top-55 picks. If it is not, then Sacramento's obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished.
    (Cleveland-Sacramento, 6/30/2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by randymoss1881 View Post
    We would probably have to take jefferson and biedrins but id still do the trade with so many big men in the draft. But do you think GS would trade barnes so soon?? Even is bogut comes back AV would be great for them on the bench still.
    I think Draymond Green is going to take his minutes. Green has lost that baby fat look, and unlike Samardo, he already knows how to play basketball. Green is already finishing games. I think Barnes value drops if Green outshines him. I also think GS will not be as patient as we are, because they are in a stage where thier star players are maturing. Curry, Thompson and West are a really good combination, and if Bogut were healthy, they would be even better. Consider they are fifth in the west, with a 9-4 road record, second only to the Spurs, starting Festus Ezili...

They have some structural contract problems. Bogut is injured and at best a 50 50 to come back in a productive way. Rush has a torn ACL. Biedrins is just as useless as he has ever been, and RJeff has been injured and honestly is not that good. With Andy, they get one of the most active centers in the league right now, and one who is an excellent fit with West and Landry. I dont see any drop in points production replacing Barnes 18 minutes with CJ off the bench, but I see AV could easily translate into 10 more rebounds and ten more points per game, as a combination of offensive contribution and defensive presence.

Somebody is bound to jump on the CJ reference. I am not his biggest fan, but i think he will thrive in this lineup, even playing 15 minutes a game. He does not have Barnes upside three years from now, but GS is going to the playoffs this year, and have no draft assets until 2014. They are not quite good enough to compete with the top teams, but adding Andy would put them right there, this year and next...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..