Default Re: Anderson Varejao Trade Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThous View Post
    And I before E except after C
    Weird bro weird. EXPLAIN THAT ONE.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

I dont want to blow your mind
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 496 Posts

andy, boobie for perkins, toronto pick, lamb, reggie jackson or maynor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThous View Post
    I dont want to blow your mind
    Well somebody's got to blow me...

Just to keep this on topic, i'd pounce all over that trade gratefuldead.

Fighting the good fight! gourimoko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,877 Times in 3,301 Posts

AV for the Toronto pick is enough for me honestly.

Whatever fits around that exchange to make the deal work for both sides is simply filler. AV<->Toronto pick is value for value. Us taking on Perkins would require them to sweeten the deal with another asset, ie Lamb, PJ3 or Maynor.

With that said, I highly doubt OKC parts with the Toronto pick. It's a lottery pick.
    Last edited by gourimoko; 12-21-2012 at 08:49 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gourimoko For This Useful Post:

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,066 Posts

OKC really can't afford to get any younger, they need to add vets to the growing core to put them over the top a top 5 pick is less valuable than andy becasue the pick only has a chance of producing a player better than him, where as he is certainly going to perform for them
    'The truth is in the middle' apparently

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

On the 12/20 episode of B.S. Report, Bill Simmons and Zach Lowe get to talking about Varejao. Simmons, a noted Varejao lover, and Lowe both think it's fine for us to be patient with looking for a trade partner because there's plenty of good reasons to keep Varejao long-term. Simmons does, however, mention the OKC possibility and says that's a trade he thinks both sides should want.

Simmons says: Perkins, TOR 1st, and Lamb for Varejao

Zach Lowe liked the deal too and what is encouraging is they mostly discussed why it's a nice deal for OKC. That no 5 man unit is scarier with 5 minutes to go than the lineup of: Westbrook, Thabo, Durant, Varejao, Ibaka.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,216 Times in 403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    Sam Presti is always looking down the road though, and is not the type that is going to trade a low cost high upside asset like a top 5 pick for a guy that has a 2-3 year window.

The Thunder are built that they literally could contend for a decade if they keep the team together.

Their window is just opening, not closing. Not to mention that they would only control Andy for 2 more seasons and then would be left having to either pay him or let him walk for nothing with no way to replace his production.

My guess is Presti drafts a young big with the TOR pick to groom and insert for Perkins when his deal is up. It gives them a low cost option under team control for 5 years that seemingly should have really high upside in a draft with alot of quality big men.

They are never going to have any cap room again, so drafting a lottery player with a high ceiling that costs nothing is more important to the long term health of the franchise than a 2 year push with Andy. They won't get this opportunity again.

When we were contending with Lebron, would we have traded away a likely top 5 pick for a 30+ vet with a long history of having injury issues for a 2 year run if we had a young team with a core age of 24 that was all signed up long term? I doubt it highly, and if we did the fans would be screaming bloody murder.
    Don't kill the messenger, I was only reporting the Sports Guy's take on the matter.

Not to speak for him, but I think Simmons' rationale is something like this. Winning championships, actual championships, not merely contending for one, is the goal of an NBA team qua team. Championships are very difficult to win and even opportunities to be in a position of legitimate contention are scarce (unless you're the Lakers), especially for small-market teams like the Oklahoma City Thunder. As a result, it seems it is best when in a position of legitimate contention (the Thunder currently) to make moves, within reason of course, that optimize the chance of winning a championship (in the present season). Bill Simmons thinks swapping Varejao for Perkins would increase the Thunder's chance of winning it all this year enough to where it is worth sacrificing the TOR pick.

You said that the Thunder
    literally could contend for a decade if they keep the team together.
    The Thunder don't have whatever player the TOR pick is going to yield right now, so even if they traded for Varejao and still didn't win the title, it follows that they are still in a position to contend in the future, correct? The idea behind getting Varejao would be that the Thunder would or perhaps, should, value a short-term push with Varejao as it may result in a championship now, over adding a lottery pick that may or may not help in the push for a championship down the road.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to STAT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 519 Posts

Larry Sanders dominated for 17 and 20 tonight.. really wish Milwaukee could gift this guy to us. He is exactly the type of player this team desperately needs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Numbers Guy For This Useful Post:

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gourimoko View Post
    AV for the Toronto pick is enough for me honestly.

Whatever fits around that exchange to make the deal work for both sides is simply filler. AV<->Toronto pick is value for value. Us taking on Perkins would require them to sweeten the deal with another asset, ie Lamb, PJ3 or Maynor.

With that said, I highly doubt OKC parts with the Toronto pick. It's a lottery pick.
    It will be a mid lottery pick in what is considered a horrible draft. Thats not equal value for Varejao. Theyd have to throw in at least the Dallas pick and/or Lamb I guess assuming that the Cavs like him. I also think replacing Varejao with Perkins would hurt the chances at bringing in good FAs in '13 and '14. IF the Cavs are set on trading him then yeah this is probably around the best you could do. The Bulls Charlotte pick is really the only other pick with value out there that I could see being moved.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers Guy View Post
    Larry Sanders dominated for 17 and 20 tonight.. really wish Milwaukee could gift this guy to us. He is exactly the type of player this team desperately needs.
    They are really high on AV it is said so him a tabios harris is my 2nd fav deal behind getting pekovic
    i like sanders alot but has anyone in here watched im enough to answer 1.) is strong enough to guard the big centers in the league?? i knw he plays center. and 2) does he have a 10-12ft jumper or one that is developing??
    if he has a jumper i would put noel over len in the draft our defense would be so solid with Noel and Sanders at pf/c but only is sanders has a devloping jumper (he would look so much like ibaka)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 856 Posts

Demarcus Cousins got benched in the second half of today's game. There's got to be a point where Sacromento says enough is enough. Hopefully they decide to trade him because he along side Tristan playing with Kyrie would be great. And hopefully Byron Scott can get through to him.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silky Smooth View Post
    Demarcus Cousins got benched in the second half of today's game. There's got to be a point where Sacromento says enough is enough. Hopefully they decide to trade him because he along side Tristan playing with Kyrie would be great. And hopefully Byron Scott can get through to him.
    He is having a terrible year 17poing on 15 shots shooting 41%. Howerver id take him in a heartbeat pair him with kyrie and the pick and roll is lethal and hopefully being in our culture would do wonders for him. Im sure an offer would start with AV,TT,1st(unprotected) for cousins and salmons.

This is from realgm(sac) which i really liked and made sense.

by SacKingZZZ on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:40 pm

It's not just him, the whole situation stinks. This team makes no sense, didn't make sense last year, didn't make sense after this summer, this isn't a shock to anyone that understands what cohesion looks like on paper and that lack of cohesion jumped off the paper a long time ago.

Players are human, they will eventually call it a day. There is some talent here, but having a team full of iso scorers does nothing but hurt the iso scorers you rely on to be the focus of your attack. The object of this teams offense is to consistently clear out and that makes the game way too hard for your stars''

Thanks

Kings will ( and should ) Move Tyreke before Cousins in any case. Then they need a new ownership. I personally would not give up AV and TT for Cousins, much less a First rounder.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to CleveRocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,418 Times in 459 Posts

I think the AV for Perk, Lamb and TOR 1st would be incredible. I continue to think that Waiters is best served as a 6th man, instant offense kind of player. Lamb's crazy length gives him the potential to be a better defender and ultimately better starter at SG. Plus we'd have another lotto bullet to grab a top of the line SF to pair with (hopefully) Noel or Len with our own pick.

And on top of all of this, while we continue to blow this year, I'd make it my mission to sit behind the basket at as many games as possible and try to make Perkins laugh.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UDcleveland For This Useful Post: