Page 10 of 111 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,543 Times in 4,050 Posts

Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    I completely agree. No offense to Dion, but potential superstar bigs are harder to come by than good-very good wing players. If we get a top 3 pick this year, and don't take a C if Muhammed is gone, then I am pretty sure Grant just hates tall people.
    There are also only a handful of star-quality two-guards in the league. If Dion becomes one of them, he'll be in limited company.

I mean, try to list the all-star caliber two-guards in the league. Kobe, Wade, Harden, Ginobili, Gordon (not that he's ever healthy)...is there anyone else?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    There are also only a handful of star-quality two-guards in the league. If Dion becomes one of them, he'll be in limited company.

I mean, try to list the all-star caliber two-guards in the league. Kobe, Wade, Harden, Ginobili, Gordon (not that he's ever healthy)...is there anyone else?
    I think you could throw Monta Ellis and Joe Johnson into that ring, but you bring up a solid point. The position has gotten a bit watered down over the years. There's quite a few aging shooting guards around the league that used to be stars, and their talents haven't quite been replaced by recent drafts. If Dion gets to that next level as the players you've mentioned, his value will be undeniable.
    Last edited by Dog; 11-13-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

Lol I think that can be said for any position... how many all-star caliber players are there at any said position? Only a limited amount, which is why only certain players make it to the ASG year in and year out.

If everyone was an all-star, at the same time, would no one be an all-star?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    Lol I think that can be said for any position... how many all-star caliber players are there at any said position? Only a limited amount, which is why only certain players make it to the ASG year in and year out.

There just seems to be more premiere talent at other positions though. SG and C have to be the least talented as a whole.

Just take a look at some of the point guard names that come to mind right away:

Chris Paul
    Deron Williams
    Kyrie Irving
    Derrick Rose
    Tony Parker
    Steve Nash
    Rajon Rondo
    Russel Westbrook
    Brandon Jennings
    Stephen Curry
    Kyle Lowry
    Jrue Holiday
    Mike Conley
    Jeremy Lin
    Damian Lillard
    Mo Williams
    Ricky Rubio

Some of those guys might never make an All-star game, but look at all that talent. The forward positions are loaded as well.

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,543 Times in 4,050 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post

I said "star quality," not All-Star. Obviously there can only be a handful of All-Stars every year, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other guys with similar levels of talent. The fact is that the two and the five are the least talented positions in the league (at least if we're referring to true centers). However, the NBA is definitely moving in a direction where you don't really need a true center anyway, so I would argue that getting an elite two-guard is at least as good as getting an elite center.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    I think you could throw Monta Ellis and Joe Johnson into that ring, but you bring up a solid point. The position has gotten a bit watered down over the years. There's quite a few aging shooting guards around the league that used to be stars, and their talents haven't quite been replaced by recent drafts. If Dion gets to that next level as the players you've mentioned, his value will be undeniable.
    And it will soon be further watered down, as Kobe, Johnson, Ginobili, and Wade are all at or near the end of their careers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post

You said both. I just infused them into one certain type of player I guess.

That said.. there are only a few STAR players at every position. Like at small forward I think of LeBron and Durant, and to a lesser extent Carmelo and possibly Pierce.

So I guess my point was, basically, every position is watered down in terms of star quality players.

Rookie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RikSmits View Post
    I think you are confusing the Kings with the Warriors here. Sacramento picked after the Cavs.
    I hesitate to jump in and play the role of interpreter, but I think he meant that by virtue of the Kings selecting Barnes at 5 the Warriors would not have been able to pick him at 7. At that point they would have been less interested in what remained and more likely to trade the pick. While perhaps true, I think that could switch up a lot of the draft order by changing the Bobcats and Kings picks, making the 'what-if' game tough to play.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to faughta0509 For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Drummond is at 50% from free throw line this season (11 of 22), so he's well on his way to putting his atrocious shooting at UCONN to rest. Interestingly, those 22 shots are exactly 1/4 of the # shots he attempted at UCONN (88).

Not that 50% is good or anything, but at least it's not 33%.

His FG%, otoh, is sitting at 67.6%. His per36 numbers are very good, and unlike Jonas he wouldn't even foul out every game if he played 36.

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,823 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Drummond is at 50% from free throw line this season (11 of 22), so he's well on his way to putting his atrocious shooting at UCONN to rest. Interestingly, those 22 shots are exactly 1/4 of the # shots he attempted at UCONN (88).
    Drummond's having a good rookie year so far, but he only needs to miss his next 6 free throws to go back below 40%. Way too small of a sample to say anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

Savior of Humanity InBoobieWeTrust's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,145 Times in 1,405 Posts

I don't see "superstar big" in Drummond right now. He has a lot of manning up to do physically and mentally to really be able to control the paint and be dominant on both ends.

I do think he's pretty much safe from being a bust at this point though, which is a big plus for him. As I've always said, he's 10 times the prospect Valunciunas is and it's showing.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,041 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    I was reading a Pistons article that said it is time to start Drummond at center now as from the people who watch them he is outplaying Maxiel big time right now.

At 1-8, it is dumb to keep wasting time with Maxiel. Monroe (who is starting to look like he is going to be pretty good) will slide to the 4 and Drummond will start at center.

He is only getting 15 minutes a game, which is stupid on a bad team.

His per-36 averages are 15 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.7 steals and 2.3 blocks.

His PER right now of 23.75, good for 15th in the league at all positions.

If he played starters minutes every night he would probably average at least 10/10 with a couple blocks a night, with some night bound to be on the higher side.

Lawrence Frank must not value his job, because losing like this will get him fired regardless. At least if fans can see your young core every night developing and growing together you have a chance at not being run out of town.

If I was a Pistons fan right now I would be pissed if I had to watch Maxiel's rotting carcass every night so that Drummond could ride the pine.

It would be one thing if he looked like Darko when he is out there, but for the little time he is playing he is producing. Let the kid play.
    Starting to look like he'll be pretty good? Did you not watch him last year?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Czvosec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

Seeing what is happening to Drummond and Kanter/Favors honestly makes me thankful the Cavs have little good veteran talent. Hell, even though I'm not a fan of Burks cementing him to the bench behind Bell (last year) and trash like Tinsley/Foye (this year) is just flat out dumb. Few things would be more frustrating than watching a dumbass coach stunt the growth of the future of the franchise by playing vets more (or dumbass front office signing more vets).

I feel for Pistons fans, and especially Jazz fans. If they don't trade at least one of Jefferson/Millsap Jazz fans should have a fit.
    Last edited by Triumph36; 11-16-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks

I'm sure Detroit is tanking another year. Get them a SG or SF (Shabazz?) and they'll be ready to dominate for years.

Knight, Shabazz, Drummond, Monroe looks sexy.

Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 745 Posts

Lawrence Frank is an idiot. Unleash the fuggin Drummond / Monroe train already you hobbit.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spencer Hawes For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    Lawrence Frank is an idiot. Unleash the fuggin Drummond / Monroe train already you hobbit.

Keep him on the bench till Dion is a surefire star, so we don't have the "whatifs" flying around. Drummond must Rot!