Page 31 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 465 of 1656
  1. #451
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,670
    Thanks
    6,645
    Thanked 11,867 Times in 4,138 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    What a jerk respond dude. Maybe because there is such a thing as liking other players on other teams? It's great that you only worship Dion but don't be obtuse.
    It may be a jerk response, but it's 100% true.

    The same was true of the Jonas thread, although strangely that thread became a ghost town about a month ago. Not sure what happened a month ago that would have silenced all the Jonas enthusiasts. Ah well. Some mysteries aren't meant to be solved.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:


  3. #452
    Rising Star Fuggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,410
    Thanks
    962
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 799 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    What a jerk respond dude. Maybe because there is such a thing as liking other players on other teams? It's great that you only worship Dion but don't be obtuse.
    This is a jerk response.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuggles For This Useful Post:


  5. #453
    Kouki, Not Cookie. IWantAKouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    6,523
    Thanks
    4,989
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    i like jorts

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:


  7. #454
    Sports Archaeologist Scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,141
    Thanks
    11,063
    Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,041 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    What a jerk respond dude. Maybe because there is such a thing as liking other players on other teams? It's great that you only worship Dion but don't be obtuse.
    Let's be honest here, Jack is right. This thread was put here for that very purpose. There are Drummond, JV, and Lebron threads on this site. How many other players that are not playing for the Cavs presently have threads here? Not many, and they usually don't last more then a few weeks.

    I wanted Drummond too. I still would like to have him on the team. But, that doesn't mean I am not going to look at things objectively.

  8. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,954
    Thanks
    1,213
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 663 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
    Let's be honest here, Jack is right. This thread was put here for that very purpose. There are Drummond, JV, and Lebron threads on this site. How many other players that are not playing for the Cavs presently have threads here? Not many, and they usually don't last more then a few weeks.

    I wanted Drummond too. I still would like to have him on the team. But, that doesn't mean I am not going to look at things objectively.
    What the hell does this even mean? You say you are looking at things objectively, what are all the posters who love Drummond's game doing? The kid goes out and makes a handful of highlight plays every game while still playing winning basketball. Oh and he's 18 years old, and he's got a frame paired with athleticism that is nearly unheard of, and he has over a 22 per. But anyone who is disappointed the Cavs passed on him should be discredited. Great point of view from you.

  9. #456
    Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,170
    Thanks
    2,989
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 748 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
    Let's be honest here, Jack is right. This thread was put here for that very purpose. There are Drummond, JV, and Lebron threads on this site. How many other players that are not playing for the Cavs presently have threads here? Not many, and they usually don't last more then a few weeks.

    I wanted Drummond too. I still would like to have him on the team. But, that doesn't mean I am not going to look at things objectively.
    What he's basically eluding to is the fact that anyone who likes Drummond as a player was in the Drummond bandwagon before he got drafted. That's completely inaccurate. Although the majority of posters in this thread may have wanted us to draft Drummond, there are people who post or read this thread that may be warming up to this guy simply because they like seeing him play and develop?

    It's funny how he brought up Jonas but their draft history is totally opposite. Jonas was thought of as having all the tools to be something great seeing how he dominated players his own age but Drummond got compared to every big man bust in the history of the NBA based purely on his 1 year at UConn.

    If people don't like this thread, they don't have to post in it lol. It's like they want a reaction or something. Coming in here with a one liner "I don't know why this thread exist" and patting each other on the back makes you look stupid.

    Like I said, there are many NBA players that I like that are not on the Cavs but Drummond's development is fast becoming the most intriguing. That's another reason why the thread exist.
    Last edited by Spencer Hawes; 01-27-2013 at 04:03 AM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spencer Hawes For This Useful Post:


  11. #457
    Rising Star Fuggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,410
    Thanks
    962
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 799 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    What the hell does this even mean? You say you are looking at things objectively, what are all the posters who love Drummond's game doing? The kid goes out and makes a handful of highlight plays every game while still playing winning basketball. Oh and he's 18 years old, and he's got a frame paired with athleticism that is nearly unheard of, and he has over a 22 per. But anyone who is disappointed the Cavs passed on him should be discredited. Great point of view from you.
    He just told you.

  12. #458
    Sports Archaeologist Scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,141
    Thanks
    11,063
    Thanked 3,237 Times in 1,041 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    What the hell does this even mean? You say you are looking at things objectively, what are all the posters who love Drummond's game doing? The kid goes out and makes a handful of highlight plays every game while still playing winning basketball. Oh and he's 18 years old, and he's got a frame paired with athleticism that is nearly unheard of, and he has over a 22 per. But anyone who is disappointed the Cavs passed on him should be discredited. Great point of view from you.
    You clearly have no clue what I meant. Maybe you should actually read the comment I was replying to. Just maybe that would help you because what you posted had very little to do with what I said. I think there are certainly some posters who just use as a "shove it in your face" thread. A sour grapes thread. There is no question that is being done for at least some of the posters. That is in essence what Jack said, and I agree with him.

    Btw, why did you choose to ignore the fact that I have stated repeatedly that I would love to have him on this team. That I wanted us to draft him, and was greatly disappointed that we didn't. I just don't whine, gripe, and bitch about it.

    Yes, I definitely have a great point of view here. Glad you noticed.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Scholar For This Useful Post:


  14. #459
    Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro TN via NE Ohio
    Posts
    9,919
    Thanks
    17,207
    Thanked 8,768 Times in 2,036 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Drummond has good games + Dion has bad games = Cavs apologists come into Drummond thread and pick fights over stupid things like punctuation and the purpose of threads being created.

    Drummond has bad games + Dion has good games = Cavs apologists come into Drummond thread and call him Kwame Thabeet and call Waiters the next Dwayne Wade.

    If you come into the Drummond thread, for any reason, the you have already acknowledging we screwed the pooch by passing on the kid. I bet every team who drafted 1-8 has a thread on their board where the locals are sharpening their pitchforks and gathering tar so they can sacrifice the local GM.

    Message boards are where we do this.

    In the case of Andre Drummond, its obvious we missed a guy who should have been one of the first two picks in this draft. Quite a few posters here said that before the draft. Quite a few never thought we would have a chance to draft him once we got the 4th pick. Quite a few lost their shit when we drafted someone who we did not spend all spring talking about and who did not have the upside of Drummond.

    Me, I am thoroughly unimpressed with our college to pro player evaluations. I am fearful of the next draft, because I feel that even if we luck up and get a top 5 pick, our front office locks in on specific players and has tunnel vision. At one point in time, I was fearful we would be the organization who always passes on top shelf talent for mid shelf talent with great personality, but that fear was put to bed this past season when we passed on top shelf talent for mid shelf talent with personality/character concerns.

    I would trade Dion Waiters and our 13 unprotected first for Andre Drummond today if Detroit were stupid enough.

    Until they are, Ill just come here and keep hoping my keystrokes are read by the basketball gods so that the next time we are at the podium we dont draft so conservatively.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:


  16. #460
    Or Also Schtick The Oi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,339
    Thanks
    26,970
    Thanked 30,753 Times in 9,790 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    I get your passion for Drummond, Rch. But your distaste for the Cavs front office based off of four picks is a little suspect. Kyrie is one of the best players in the game in year 2. Tristan was NOT considered an obvious safe pick at the time in a draft that was honestly kind of shitty and has yet to prove otherwise. This far, Valanciunas has been ok. No better than Tristan was last year. And Tristan has been absolutely studly lately. And they're almost the same age with JV having more professional basketball experience than Tristan. I guess you can project all you want, but at the moment Tristan is leading that race by a longshot and appears to be getting better every game.

    I feel like you're picking a very odd time to make a judgment call on the Cavs when they hit the lotto on one pick, appear to have hit on the second pick in a shit draft and the story is yet to be told for Waiters and Zeller. Waiters has looked tremendous at times, ok at others and bad some nights as well. Drummond has been mostly very good. There's no doubt about that.

    But your characterization of the Cavs front office is off and very, very premature IMO. The Waiters vs Drummond judgment is extremely premature because both have a lot of developing to do. I don't know where you get off calling him a mid tier player this early in his career. It's so friggin early and he's proven that he can do things that not many players can do, in particular splitting defenders, sometimes multiple times on the same drive. That's a tremendous ability, especially for a guy who has shown the potential to light it up from all over the court. Drummond might end up being great... But so might Waiters. It's year friggin 1. This same time last year, you had Tristan being the type of bust that gets guys fired. Now, a lot of people look foolish on him...but not the Cavs. They look pretty wise at the moment.

    As for Zeller...he was the 17th pick in the damn draft. Nobody behind him is doing a damn thing. I do think it would be very fair to make a judgment on him next year given his age and skill set. If Zeller isn't thicker, stronger and meaner this time next year while playing the type of polished ball he did at the college level...I think we can fairly say he MIGHT not develop more. But the expectations were never real high for him or any other 17 pick anyways.

    Bottom line: you're choosing the strangest of times to make these assertions. You need to give the Tristan vs JV battle another two years to see if JV CATCHES UP with Tristan (not the other way around, the Waiters vs Drummond at least another year and the Zeller vs ? battle another year of development.
    Last edited by The Oi; 01-27-2013 at 10:14 AM.

  17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to The Oi For This Useful Post:


  18. #461
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    10,670
    Thanks
    6,645
    Thanked 11,867 Times in 4,138 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    What he's basically eluding to is the fact that anyone who likes Drummond as a player was in the Drummond bandwagon before he got drafted. That's completely inaccurate. Although the majority of posters in this thread may have wanted us to draft Drummond, there are people who post or read this thread that may be warming up to this guy simply because they like seeing him play and develop?

    It's funny how he brought up Jonas but their draft history is totally opposite. Jonas was thought of as having all the tools to be something great seeing how he dominated players his own age but Drummond got compared to every big man bust in the history of the NBA based purely on his 1 year at UConn.

    If people don't like this thread, they don't have to post in it lol. It's like they want a reaction or something. Coming in here with a one liner "I don't know why this thread exist" and patting each other on the back makes you look stupid.

    Like I said, there are many NBA players that I like that are not on the Cavs but Drummond's development is fast becoming the most intriguing. That's another reason why the thread exist.
    I think you completely missed my point on Jonas. It was quite simple. When Jonas was playing decent earlier this year and Thompson was struggling, people were posting there every day to remind everyone else that they wanted Jonas all along. Sure, they didn't say it in those exact words, but that was the implication. Now that Tristan is in full on beast mode and Jonas hasn't been able to stay on the court due to injuries, you don't see a single person posting in that thread. In fact, before I bumped it, the last post was a tumbleweed gif.

    And if you want an example of what I'm talking about, look no further than RchfldCavRaised's post above. He basically wrote an entire essay about how much smarter he is than the Cavs front office and how Drummond is great and Dion sucks. Posts like that are the reason this thread exists.

    You'll notice that I very rarely comment on Drummond's actual play because, to be honest, I don't really care. I don't waste my time pining on what could have been, longingly looking up box scores after every Detroit game and cursing Grant for his unwillingness to draft the guy. We didn't draft him. He's not a Cavalier. Get the fuck over it.

  19. #462
    Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro TN via NE Ohio
    Posts
    9,919
    Thanks
    17,207
    Thanked 8,768 Times in 2,036 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiglet View Post
    I feel like you're picking a very odd time to make a judgment call on the Cavs when they hit the lotto on one pick, appear to have hit on the second pick in a shit draft and the story is yet to be told for Waiters and Zeller.
    Here is the thing Jig.

    That last post, in the context of what was happening in this thread, was really just saying please stop trying to justify passing on Andre Drummond again and again. To answer the timing aspect of it. I flipped out just like everyone else in the world when Kyrie casually walked down and KILLED Toronto last night. So Im not trying to kill that mood or be the new JonfromVA.

    I like the overall direction the front office has this team going in. I know that it is only made possible by having an owner who thinks outside the box and is so deadset on winning that he would commit to throwing money at obtaining assets the way he is allow Grant to do it.

    I LOVE the flexibility that Grant afforded us by not signing guys to contracts like other GMs/Owners have done.

    BUT, I still dont like choosing lower tier prospects to fill specific positions/roles as opposed to picking the best talent.

    That is what my gripe with our talent evaluation process will always be about, for this era that is being built. That is a NFL draft model or a MLB draft model. Not an NBA draft model.

    In the short term, everyone is super excited because we have been one of the only teams who's GM and ownership had the foresight to tank and cut costs and not do ANYTHING in free agency. In the short term, that looks like a BRILLIANT move, because it seems as if we may have lucked into a guy who is perfectly skilled and developed for where the NBA is headed with style and rules changes and how it is being marketed.

    However, just like with all of the excitement that is now going around making Mareese Speights into the next Zach Randolph for us moving forward for the next 5-7 years, I have to be the guy to point to a bigger picture in regard to the pieces we have and are adding around Kyrie.

    I have yet to even acknowledge all of the 2014 speculation, because I myself had a pretty damn good source who guaranteed me that we had nothing to worry about at decision time back in 2010. However, Ill break my embargo and acknowledge it just this one time right now for the sake of proving this point...

    Unless there is a 100% guarantee that 2014 is bringing in an already established top tier NBA star, then I will continue to believe the way we approach drafting is flawed and we are setting ourselves up for mediocrity at best and no serious contention during Kyrie's era here.

    Tristan looks better, sure.

    Dion will mature some, and be dangerous.

    Tyler will settle in and find his niche and be dependable.

    But none of them are the 5 star, blue chip, shoe-in all star kind of guys that every championship team has 2.5 of every single time they win a title.

    Each of those guys are 0.5 kind of guys. Not 1.0.

    And Im not talking about the beautiful, fandom, santa claus exists kind of evaluating these guys that 80% of the board comes here and believes truly exists in this game. Im talking from a realistic, history has proven this sport is more business than true competition kind of point of view.

    Media Darlings are the BIG difference between 0.5 guys and 1.0 guys to be honest. And no amount of Tristan licking his own bobblehead dolls is going to make him a 1.0 suddenly. It can definitely happen some places. The NBA is setup for LA and NY to make .5 guys into .75 guys and sometimes 1.0 guys when they really have a unique story they can sell.

    Cleveland and a few other markets like that, are the places where guys who are .75 are turned into .5 guys (through no fault of our own, we support our team)

    It is what it is. The NBA will always trail far behind the NFL because that is what the businessmen in the league decide to do, in regard to marketing the big cities and their players more.

    I love Dan Gilberts competitive/against the grain style. Ive read up on him and try to find things like his DVP company, to watch how the upper management/structure is setup so I can try to trust the FO more with the vision they are trying to see through.

    And I always come back to knowing how much of a business this game is, and knowing that in that regard, we need to play the business game of getting guys who are 1.0 through the draft (unless we have a guarantee of one coming in 14 FA) because the system is not setup for us to draft and .5 and have them be anything more than complimentary.

    Sorry for the riddle post. Just explaining how Im looking at a much bigger long term picture than anything.
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

  20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:


  21. #463
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,235
    Thanks
    1,689
    Thanked 4,116 Times in 1,600 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Whaaaaaat???????? ^^^^^^^

  22. #464
    Drafting workout allstars RchfldCavRaised's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Murfreesboro TN via NE Ohio
    Posts
    9,919
    Thanks
    17,207
    Thanked 8,768 Times in 2,036 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    Whaaaaaat???????? ^^^^^^^


    Gimme Some mo... You're Welcome
    The Richfield Trade Deadline Survival Kit post... here

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RchfldCavRaised For This Useful Post:


  24. #465
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,954
    Thanks
    1,213
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 663 Posts

    Default Re: The Andre Drummond Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
    You clearly have no clue what I meant. Maybe you should actually read the comment I was replying to. Just maybe that would help you because what you posted had very little to do with what I said. I think there are certainly some posters who just use as a "shove it in your face" thread. A sour grapes thread. There is no question that is being done for at least some of the posters. That is in essence what Jack said, and I agree with him.

    Btw, why did you choose to ignore the fact that I have stated repeatedly that I would love to have him on this team. That I wanted us to draft him, and was greatly disappointed that we didn't. I just don't whine, gripe, and bitch about it.

    Yes, I definitely have a great point of view here. Glad you noticed.
    I do understand what you said, and thats why I said most people in this thread just love Drummond's game. Not everyone in here just wants to throw it in people's faces, just disappointed the Cavs didn't make the best selection last draft.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •