Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 1,765 Posts

Default Re: Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by The Optomist View Post
    People actually care what Grossi says?
    You are right, we should totally take random Pro Football Weekly guy's opinion over the local beat writer...

Rising out of the ashes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amherstcavsfan View Post
    You are right, we should totally take random Pro Football Weekly guy's opinion over the local beat writer...
    That pro football weekly guy might know Haslam and Banner better. Not to mention Grossi comes off as an asshat. I don't know how more people don't see this.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Optomist View Post
    That pro football weekly guy might know Haslam and Banner better. Not to mention Grossi comes off as an asshat. I don't know how more people don't see this.
    Grossi definitely comes off as an fool, but he's been covering the Browns for 30 years. I think we can take his word for it when it comes to the Browns. Also, he was around the Lombardi Browns.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Rising out of the ashes

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 669 Posts

I'm not a Grossi fan, but that doesn't mean he's wrong when saying there is a reason Belichick never brought him back to his organization, or that he was a disaster in CLE and OAK. It's not entirely a coincidence he's been out of the league for 5 years.

EDIT - If what Grossi says is true about Lombardi's time in Oakland, I will say that this move makes more sense if Banner wants to be the guy calling the real shots.

I hope that Haslam/Banner understand that their honeymoon with the fanbase will be fleeting if they start off making a disastrous move at the top of the organization. Sure, they'll still show up for games but constant criticism from Browns fans is never in short supply. Lombardi or not, they have to get it right.
    Last edited by MDLT; 12-03-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,566 Times in 4,855 Posts

There isn't much in Grossi's writing or level of professionalism that would lead me to trust his 'inside info'
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 673 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    There isn't much in Grossi's writing or level of professionalism that would lead me to trust his 'inside info'
    Nor would the simple act of hiring Michael Lombardi (if that were to happen) be proof Haslam did something wrong. Haslam knows these people, he has for years. He knows what kind of person Lombardi is, and how he evaluates talent. If he wants him running this team, he would have a better pulse on it than fans would who form an opinion by creating what they imagine were decisions made by him, and judging him for those decisions. I wouldn't be thrilled by his track record, nor has Heckert done anything I'm aware of which would warrant him losing his job, but I'll trust Haslam knows best until he proves otherwise.

I was firmly in the "get rid of Lerner" camp, and I believe the poor ownership was far more responsible for our past failure than anything else. Now it's time to see if Haslam can turn it around.
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie

Thanks

When you fire a guy who has OBVIOUSLY brought in a plethora of young talent to this team and replace him with a guy who's most notable for being a douchebag media member, some people aren't just going to take his word for it.

There is good reason to raise a red flag if they fire Heckert.
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,464 Times in 594 Posts

When you fire a guy who has OBVIOUSLY brought in a plethora of young talent to this team and replace him with a guy who's most notable for being a douchebag media member, some people aren't just going to take his word for it.

I'm curious to know what rationale they could try to provide for letting him go. I mean really, would reason could you have for firing him as far as HIS decisions are concerned? Marecic? Ward for being bad in pass coverage?

I think it is even worse than raising just a red flag.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 569 Posts

I have not knowledge on the relationship between Heckert and Banner but Id have to guess one's ego is too big for the others liking and its likely just a dick measuring contest that will be the reason Heckert is let go.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Just looking at Heckerts body of work and I can't understand why he's not lock to remain. The only thing I could possibly see is a situation where you're bringing in a coach, probably college, that will require more authority over player decisions than can be currently offered while Heckert is on staff. In that case, you bring in a guy with a lesser job title and the coach has more authority over the roster. I really can't see how this would be based on what Heckert has done, only on how they envision the front office setup to function. This is basically what was going on in Philly for a long time before the power grabs. I think the only way it would work in that scenario is if Heckert agreed to reduce his role. I don't think he's power hungry to begin with. There's never been anything leaked about how Shurmur, Mangini or Holmgren and he fought over draft picks. I can understand how he would not be pleased with what basically amounts to a demotion though. I still think it's bullshit, maybe I'm just hoping it is, but I think Lombardi would be a fucking ridiculous choice. Anyone know if there is a coach out there that actually happens to like him, or has connections to him? May lead to some coaching candidates.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 623 Posts

Can someone explain why Lombardi is god awful. I see posts just bitching about him but I want facts on why he is awful.
    “Take your comebacks, write them down on a sheet of paper. Roll it up tight, soak it in water, freeze it overnight, then jam it up your ass.”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    Can someone explain why Lombardi is god awful. I see posts just bitching about him but I want facts on why he is awful.
    For me, it's his hackery as a sportscaster coupled with the fact that his resume is not even close to that of the current Browns general manager.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
    Go find what he's done right. Both NFL and in media/mock drafts. I tried.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RappSoda For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,892 Times in 673 Posts

There are two different issues at play. The firing of Heckert, and the hiring of his replacement. If I was the guy who paid a billion dollars for a football team, I think I'd trust Heckert to run the ship for at least a couple more years. But I certainly understand how a guy who is taking over an organization would want to put his mark on the team. He wants the Browns organization to be his, and Heckert was a Holmgren guy. Decisions like that are made all of the time. So while I agree Heckert can't justifiably be fired for his track record, I don't think his track record is the reason he may be out of a job. He just not be a Haslam/ Banner guy.

The second issue is hiring the replacement. Everything out there on Lombardi makes him seem like a terrible pick. Being skeptical makes a ton of sense. But Haslam and Banner know everything we do that's been said. They are privileged to more information, and have the real concept behind how the team is going to be structured. Dismissing a hire before it takes place is a bit premature. What if we're bringing in a HC who wants control, and Lombardi is willing to defer to that coach? If the coach is the guy Haslam has picked, then a great GM isn't taking a job without final say. Or perhaps Lombardi can do a good job, honestly I've got no idea. Heckert has done exceptional, and I'd hope they'd just stick with him, but we'll see what happens.
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie