Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,074 Times in 717 Posts

Default Re: Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

Quote Originally Posted by cdt View Post
    The 2009 draft class deserves it's own thread. Holy santa claus shit, Mangini what the hell were you doing? Kokinis is banging secretaries in Berea and Mangini is just calling random numbers asking about players and we come away with that mess.

Basically gifted the Jets the 5th pick by taking deadweight 35 year old veterans off their team and NOT getting a 1st rounder. Trading back and back and back whiffing on Clay Matthews Jr about half a dozen times. Good lord what an awful draft. David Veikune? Fuck me sideways with a lunchbox. The dangerous tandem of Massaqoui and Robiskie at WR

We're lucky we didn't get retracted again after that draft. Jesus.
    The sad part is, we still got the better part of that deal than the Jets did...
    I've been nothing but complementary of Weeden.
    -b00bie

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Malt View Post
    The sad part is, we still got the better part of that deal than the Jets did...
    What we did end up with Alex Mack, Brett Ratliff, Kenyon Coleman, Veikune, and Abe Elam?

All Star
    Thanks

Josh McDaniels could be closing in on his second chance as a head coach

Posted by Mike Florio on December 9, 2012, 6:19 AM EST

AP
    In his first stint as a head coach, things didn’t go very well for Josh McDaniels. Hired by the Broncos in 2009, he was fired during the 2010 season.

At first, things were looking good for McDaniels, leading the team to a 6-0 start that included a fist-pumping win over his mentor, Bill Belichick.

Unlike other Belichick pupils who went elsewhere and failed, McDaniels’ road led back to Foxboro, where he is serving as offensive coordinator a year after having that same job in St. Louis. Now, as the 2013 coaching carousel approaches, McDaniels’ name is bubbling back onto the list of potential head-coaching candidates.

The first rumor that has landed on our radar screen links McDaniels to Cleveland. Coincidentally, that’s where Belichick ultimately failed as a first-time NFL head coach, before becoming regarded as one of the best ever in New England. As the rumor goes, McDaniels and G.M. Mike Lombardi would come to the Browns as a package deal.

A native of nearby Canton, it’s unclear how McDaniels would be received by Browns fans. The local media already has been bristling at the notion that Lombardi could supplant G.M. Tom Heckert.

And with plenty of coaching jobs expected to be available this season, McDaniels could be lured elsewhere. Perhaps he’d be interested in coaching up Cam Newton, if the Carolina job is open. Or perhaps McDaniels would be willing to work with likely front-office chiefs Jimmy Raye and John Spanos in San Diego, if that also means working with Philip Rivers.

Jacksonville remains an intriguing possibility for McDaniels, given that he could then try to reunite with the quarterback he selected in the first round of the 2010 draft. (You know, the guy in the picture with McDaniels?)

Either way, McDaniels could soon be once again in demand as a head coach, which would make him one of the few members of the FFCA for whom NFL owners may clamor.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,561 Times in 1,924 Posts

I think McDaniel will be one of those guys who's a better head coach the 2nd time around. That being said, I'm not sure I want the Browns to be the ones who take the leap of faith on him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Phills14 For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JMcCurry08 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,474 Times in 2,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phills1 View Post
    I think McDaniel will be one of those guys who's a better head coach the 2nd time around. That being said, I'm not sure I want the Browns to be the ones who take the leap of faith on him.
    Listen, can he be any worse than Pat Shurmur? We are in games, we are being competitive, and now we're winning a couple. What is the worst that can happen? This team that is in games until the end will become worse?

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,717 Times in 681 Posts

Josh mcdaniels? I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 682 Posts

My trouble with Josh McDaniels is that on top of the way he handled Denver, he reminds me so much of Lane Kiffin that I give him full credit for his screwups too.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 546 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
    Listen, can he be any worse than Pat Shurmur? We are in games, we are being competitive, and now we're winning a couple. What is the worst that can happen? This team that is in games until the end will become worse?
    I'm really unsure about Shurmur, but the team has been playing pretty well as of late. By no means is the guy Vince Lombardi, but just like the young players, I have seen him call better games each week. That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes. However, he is coaching the youngest team in the league and is in only his second year as a head coach. He has a rookie QB, RB, #1WR, RT, and a second year #2 WR. We very well could end up with a rookie QB with 3,500 yds passing, a rookie RB with 1,000+ yards rushing and 1,500+ total yards, and a rookie WR with 1,000+ yards receiving. You can't completely discredit the guy given the way the offense has progressed over the course of the season.

Unless the team totally craps the bed these last three weeks and plays god awful football, I think Shurmur gets another year. The biggest problem is that if you get rid of Shurmur, you have to ensure you're definitely getting someone better (see Gruden, Reid, Cowher, etc). Do you fire Shurmur to bring in Josh McDaniels? Hell no. That's the type of move that could cause some serious issues with players in the locker room. I've definitely been very critical of the guy all season, but I think he deserves another year.
    Last edited by Bob_The_Cat; 12-09-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,452 Times in 3,908 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_The_Cat View Post
    I'm really unsure about Shurmur, but the team has been playing pretty well as of late. By no means is the guy Vince Lombardi, but just like the young players, I have seen him call better games each week. That's not to say he hasn't made mistakes. However, he is coaching the youngest team in the league and is in only his second year as a head coach. He has a rookie QB, RB, #1WR, RT, and a second year #2 WR. We very well could end up with a rookie QB with 3,500 yds passing, a rookie RB with 1,000+ yards rushing and 1,500+ total yards, and a rookie WR with 1,000+ yards receiving. You can't completely discredit the guy given the way the offense has progressed over the course of the season.

Unless the team totally craps the bed these last three weeks and plays god awful football, I think Shurmur gets another year. The biggest problem is that if you get rid of Shurmur, you have to ensure you're definitely getting someone better (see Gruden, Reid, Cowher, etc). Do you fire Shurmur to bring in Josh McDaniels? Hell no. That's the type of move that could cause some serious issues with players in the locker room. I've definitely been very critical of the guy all season, but I think he deserves another year.
    I fire Shurmur to bring in the waterboy.

The guy continues to make boneheaded decisions and is in way over his head. Don't misunderstand wins as signs he's getting better. We're winning despite him, not because of him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MoFlo For This Useful Post:

^ kind of a big deal! cavsfan1985's Avatar
    Thanks

On the Herd this morning, they talked about Nick Saban being linked to Mike Lombardi.

http://nesn.com/2012/12/report-brown...aban-to-coach/

According to the NFL sources,” Bedard writes, “Saban has let it be known that if he returns to the NFL … it would likely be with Lombardi playing [Scott] Pioli to his [Bill] Belichick.”

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

Well I didnt want Saban before and if there is .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of that article being true then I definitely do not want him.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 682 Posts

Such bullshit. The rumors have gotten comical. Saban just aint gonna do it unless his man Lombardi is heading up operations for him. Saban needs Lombardi like I need herpes.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiji View Post
    Such bullshit. The rumors have gotten comical. Saban just aint gonna do it unless his man Lombardi is heading up operations for him. Saban needs Lombardi like I need herpes.
    You may already have herpes, 1 in 5 people do these days.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

^ kind of a big deal! cavsfan1985's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree, not a big fan of it, but it was on the Herd this morning. Be nice to see Bama lose him.