Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,553 Times in 1,566 Posts

Default Re: Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

I have a hard time believing Haslam, who is a smart man and isn't ignorant to the history of this franchise, would allow Banner to bring in Lombardi back to this franchise...

Maybe I'm naive and don't believe all the rumors but I just don't see Lombardi coming back here.. I could be wrong, I have been before, but I'd be surprised if it did happen..

Heckert leaving is another story... I'd be more surprised at Lombardi being hired, than Heckert being fired...

I'm rooting for the Browns to win our for whatever small playoff hopes they have, but more importantly for there to be significant momentum for Heckert to keep his job... Having final say and the authority to keep doing what he is doing will likely be the deciding factor, and I'm not sure if that's something Banner will be able to cede to Heckert... We will see...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

My issue is that Heckert has been working with Holmgren, Shurmur, and Mangini before him. Holmgren told him to pick McCoy and he did. Mangini of all people says that he was great to work with, he really listened. Nothing at all about how Heckert has been pulling a Savage by forcing players down the coaches throats, and Holmgren was powerless to stop it. It's ridiculous. This has been such a non-issue that I thought that Holmgren actually had final say. I don't get it, this doesn't make any sense.

If there is an issue with power that cannot be resolved, it's clearly a Banner issue. How does Banner not have control already? If Heckert wants Player A, and Banner wants Player B. Banner can just fire Heckert if it's really that big of a deal. It shouldn't be. Heckert's job is to pick players that fit the philosophy of the organization. He picked different guys for Mangini than he does for Shurmur. So he's obviously willing to do that. There's nothing to indicate that Heckert would refuse to work with a completely different kind of coach. What am I missing?

If this is not about power, and Heckerts picks are obviously good, wtf is issue with Heckert?
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

The Original HN3108 bigfoot5415's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing that seems to get overlooked is Haslam's time with Pittsburgh. The Steelers are a prime example of continuity with their GMs and coaches. They rarely change coaches or any other front office personnel. This helps smooth out the process and gives people time to improve rather than blowing it up every 3 years. In doing so that will keep management on the same track to achieve its ultimate goal of developing a Super Bowl contender. I think that logic helped them stay competitive for so long. It allows the the team to insert new pieces that are an exact fit as players age and move out. Why shouldnt we also standardize our overall system to allow long term strength? If there is improvement and a clear sign the talent is being evaluated properly, I dont see why Haslem lets Heckert go.
    Wiggins Watch 2014

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigfoot5415 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

General manager Tom Heckert and head coach Pat Shurmur weren't going to say it. So I'll do it for them:

It'd be a shame for the Cleveland Browns to break up the young group they've put together.

In fact, for a once-proud franchise that's fallen into a state of continuous tumult in its second NFL incarnation, continuity is just what the doctor ordered.

Now, new owner Jimmy Haslam might want to bring in his own guys, and the prior relationship between new club president Joe Banner and Heckert could complicate things. But after what's happened over the last two months, staying the course is the right thing to do.

"Time will tell," Shurmur said from his office earlier in the week, when asked if it'd be wrong to break up the band now. "But these young guys are getting better. There's a lot to be excited about around here. But, again, time will tell."

Heckert laughed, a little nervously, saying, "In a perfect world, yeah, that'd be great. Not a perfect world, though."

And the current Browns regime hasn't created a perfect team, either. But this group has done enough to engender some hope in a place that's been largely devoid of it since Marty Schottenheimer bolted after the 1988 season.

Poor drafting did a number on the early-1990s Browns, even with Bill Belichick as coach. Zero starters from the Super Bowl XXXV champion Baltimore Ravens -- the franchise that left Cleveland in 1996 -- were acquired by that group, and only the first (Eric Turner) of the 41 players drafted by Browns brass from 1991 to '95 ever made a Pro Bowl. Similarly, the "new" Browns' first general manager, Dwight Clark, drafted 40 players in four years, and zero Pro Bowlers. Butch Davis and Phil Savage only did marginally better.

Conversely, the focus of Heckert and Shurmur to make the roster younger over the last few years is, now, starting to show.

"We talked to Pat about it when he got here (in 2011) -- we had to get younger," Heckert said. "We committed to going at it in the draft and being more selective in free agency. We knew we'd have hurdles, being so young. Things are starting to change, and who knows what'll happen now, but I still feel like we did 100 percent the right thing. The team's built for the future, no matter who is here."

Going into Heckert's first year, the transitional 2010 season with Eric Mangini as coach, the Browns were the second-oldest team in the league, and had 18 players over the age of 30. In Sunday's 30-7 win over the Kansas City Chiefs, 20 starters (and 33 of the 36 players who got snaps on offense or defense) were in their 20s. Nineteen of the 36 were 25 or younger.

"I saw a stat where we had 72 starts by rookies this year, and the next team was at 44," Shurmur said. "That tells you about the massive amount of youth we have here. And that's OK."

Lately, it's been better than OK.

Following an 0-5 start, the Browns have gone 5-3 in their last eight games, with wins over Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, and near-misses on the road in Dallas and Indianapolis. And even with the bad start, the young group hasn't been blown out all year. Even better, as to the plan of Heckert and Shurmur, 17 of the team's 22 starters were drafted by the team, and nine of those came from the last two classes.

And maybe the best part: They've grown together. Consider that, for the 2011 rookies, their first two offseasons were marked by a lockout and an ownership change. With that in mind, you can see why those in the building are pretty encouraged by a young group that, to a man, enjoys coming to work every day and getting better.

"I think that's underrated," Heckert said. "All these different guys know, after all they've gone through, when things go bad, they can trust each other. And having seen each other do it and have confidence to lean on each other is huge. Pat's done a phenomenal job with that. When our record wasn't good, guys were still fighting their asses off. And now, they've gotten through that, and being young, they don't know any better. They don't care that Pittsburgh and Baltimore owned the division. They just play."

Shurmur deflects credit to his core of veterans that includes Phil Dawson, D'Qwell Jackson, Joe Thomas, Alex Mack, Ahtyba Rubin and Sheldon Brown. With the knowledge that four of those guys are still short of 30, the coach jokes, "They're ancient around here."

But those guys have contributed to a gym-rat culture that the brass here is proud of. It helps foster the development of core players like Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson, Josh Gordon, Greg Little, Phil Taylor, Jabaal Sheard, Joe Haden and T.J. Ward. Heckert calls this the best locker room he's been around. Shurmur says the drive of the individual players is showing up now as they learn how to finish.

On his own future, the coach says, "My concern is on doing my job. At some point, someone's gonna make a decision. I have no control over that, I don't focus on it. I'm focused on the Redskins. If I didn't do that, how could I ask my players to? We'll see what happens with the rest of it."

Indeed, the club, under new management, has plenty of questions going forward. Yet, in a few years' time, the guys running the football side have provided some answers for Haslam and Co. to work with.

Will they get to see it"I don't know," Heckert responded. "A lot goes into this thing. Trust me, I enjoy this team and I love this city. We'll see."

Were it not for the change in ownership, there probably wouldn't be much of a question that this particular regime should be afforded another year to progress. And even with the ownership change -- for the good of the team, the franchise and a place that might be more of a football city than any of the other 31 NFL locales -- Shurmur and Heckert deserve that chance.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ur-tom-heckert

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheNewEra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,825 Posts

There's a big deal being made on the RBS about Fedor and Hammer stating that Tom Heckert would, in fact, have a pretty hard time getting another GM position in the NFL because he's got some character issues. From there, they refused to expound. Grossi came on and when asked about it, he stated "in a flustered manner" that he didn't say that and has nothing to report.

I think that if Heckert goes, he gets scooped up almost immediately. Character issues or no character issues. Does anyone have any guesses/suggestions of what these "character issues" may be?

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post
    There's a big deal being made on the RBS about Fedor and Hammer stating that Tom Heckert would, in fact, have a pretty hard time getting another GM position in the NFL because he's got some character issues. From there, they refused to expound. Grossi came on and when asked about it, he stated "in a flustered manner" that he didn't say that and has nothing to report.

I think that if Heckert goes, he gets scooped up almost immediately. Character issues or no character issues. Does anyone have any guesses/suggestions of what these "character issues" may be?
    Heckert thinks RBS sucks. Thats probably his character issue.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cafemerald For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,368 Times in 2,900 Posts

Character...issues?

What?
    The artist formerly known as cmstophe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Character...issues?

What?
    Precisely my question. Never heard anything, can't find anything. I suspect cafemerald is on to something. Just thought I'd mention it to see if anyone had any clue.

FROM DA GRITTY INNER CITY I-77 NORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

http://www.change.org/petitions/clev...-heckert#share

Seen this in the Plain Dealer website comment section in today's article about Heckert, fans are really rallying to keep Heckert here. So happy to see this.

For what it's worth, I'll sign it - not sure how much of an impact (if any) it will have, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,547 Times in 571 Posts

Looks like Heckert has support in the locker room as well.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SauDogg For This Useful Post:

Thanks

To city and team support is such a refreshing thing to see when it comes to the browns. Really hope we keep the guy

Thanks

I like Tom, but asking the guys he inked to deals is probably not the most objective angle.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RappSoda For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post
    I like Tom, but asking the guys he inked to deals is probably not the most objective angle.
    Very true, but I don't remember any groundswell from players to have Phil Savage or Dwight Clark retained. Both D'Qwell Jackson and Joe Thomas are very well-respected players who wouldn't hand out compliments like it was free candy.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevalier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,754 Times in 1,026 Posts

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howler1313 For This Useful Post:

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 597 Posts

The video wont load on this kindle fire thing. Howler I'm sure you wouldn't have posted it if you didn't think it was meaningful. Would anyone be kind enough to provide a little summary?