Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 661 Posts

Default Re: Who is the Browns' General Manager for the 2013 off-season?

There's been some slight adjustments to the top of the organizational chart and some title changes, but everything is still basically the same as it goes down the ladder. Haslem is at the very top and only Banner answers directly to him. That branches off into the President on the business side (Scheiner), and to the GM or equivalent on the football side.

Scheiner's job doesn't seem to be in any direct relation to anything to do with players, although he has enough authority within the organization to drop in his two cents. He'll be involved in sales, team events, stadium issues, fireworks, white flag day.. that kind of thing.

The GM or whatever they call that position, probably depends on who the coach is. If it's someone like Saban the GM may just be a personnel guy that Saban trusts. He could be on an equal or even a slightly lesser position as far as personnel matters are concerned. Butch Davis had a similar situation going, except he didn't have a Banner type guy over him. A Saban-type coach would want control over the roster and have a larger say in the draft or free agents. A McDaniels-type would probably have much less of a say overall, but may still be able to choose the 53. One thing that Banner has made clear is that he wants the coach to have an input on the roster. As of now, Heckert has technical authority over the draft and players on the roster. Heckert has just never used that full authority. He works with Mangini and Shurmur even though he doesn't really have to.

I really don't think any of this means that Banner is going to be sitting around scouting guys out of the WAC. He may take a look at some of the guys the personnel staff likes in a quality control sort of way though. At least I hope. Holmgren did this too, except under the name President. Obviously as a former SB coach nobody was concerned, but he was pretty bad as his own GM, so perhaps Holmgren's say on this would have even been stronger than what Banner will have.

Despite the confusion of the coaching staff and GM role, the moves actually made so far have improved the business side of the team in impressive fashion. Haslem/Banner/Scheiner could very well be an all-star cast. These people will create a buzz. Even though they're all business guys, you don't get the sense that they're going to be doing anything on the cheap. The question is if they can carry that over to the football side of things. Probably much more difficult a proposition for those people.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,089 Posts

Pickups: CB: Patterson : BUST
    Sheldon Brown: Good veteran presence, but should be a backup or moved to FS.
    Gocong: Good first year, but been out with injury since.
    Fujita: BUST, not worth the money given to him.
    Parker: Good depth pickup for the D-Line
    Rucker: Same as Parker.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip
    Sanchize and the boys start their reign of dominance tonight...
    Someone has a CHIP on his shoulder (you know who you are)

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 951 Posts

The undrafted rookies he's picked up Fort, Robertson, Cooper, Gipson and Bademosi have been productive when they play. Bademosi is a special teams stud, Robertson has started most if not all season. Fort was productive until JMJ returned. Gipson just made a big interception against KC. Cooper i believe can be a Wes Welker type when given the PT
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

NFL Reference gives a rating called career approximate value for each player in the NFL. It's not 100% accurate but it pretty closely follows the success and failures of a player. To give an example Clay Matthews currently has a career value of 36 the highest in his draft class. Alex Mack has a career value of 14. I compared all of our drafts with the drafts of the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns are competing most with the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers so having better drafts then them is of greatest importance. Below is what the scoring came out split out by GM/Coach:

1999 - 2000 Clark
    Steelers - 432
    Ravens - 339
    Browns - 260
    Bengals 182

2001 - 2004 Davis
    Bengals - 673
    Ravens - 622
    Steelers - 606
    Browns - 521

2005 - 2008 Savage
    Ravens - 433
    Steelers - 352
    Bengals - 306
    Browns - 306

2009 - Mangini
    Bengals - 60
    Steelers - 57
    Ravens - 41
    Browns - 38

2010 - 2011 - Heckert
    Browns - 73
    Bengals - 66
    Steelers - 55
    Ravens - 39

Comparing drafting since 1999, every FO has been the worst or second worst at drafting. Only the Bengals in the Clark era and Davis era was as bad or worst. Since Heckert took over, it's the first time we've drafted better than all of our AFC North rivals. It shows that we are closing the gap in talent on the field. Now this doesn't count this year as they have not compiled grades for the 2012 season, but I think everyone agrees that 2012 was one of Heckert's better drafts. Did he hit on everyone. No. But he is evaluating talent better than his rivals and closing the talent gap between the Browns and the rest of the AFC North.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 1,671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DaNewCavs View Post
    NFL Reference gives a rating called career approximate value for each player in the NFL. It's not 100% accurate but it pretty closely follows the success and failures of a player. To give an example Clay Matthews currently has a career value of 36 the highest in his draft class. Alex Mack has a career value of 14. I compared all of our drafts with the drafts of the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns are competing most with the Bengals, Ravens and Steelers so having better drafts then them is of greatest importance. Below is what the scoring came out split out by GM/Coach:

1999 - 2000 Clark
    Steelers - 432
    Ravens - 339
    Browns - 260
    Bengals 182

2001 - 2004 Davis
    Bengals - 673
    Ravens - 622
    Steelers - 606
    Browns - 521

2005 - 2008 Savage
    Ravens - 433
    Steelers - 352
    Bengals - 306
    Browns - 306

2009 - Mangini
    Bengals - 60
    Steelers - 57
    Ravens - 41
    Browns - 38

2010 - 2011 - Heckert
    Browns - 73
    Bengals - 66
    Steelers - 55
    Ravens - 39

Comparing drafting since 1999, every FO has been the worst or second worst at drafting. Only the Bengals in the Clark era and Davis era was as bad or worst. Since Heckert took over, it's the first time we've drafted better than all of our AFC North rivals. It shows that we are closing the gap in talent on the field. Now this doesn't count this year as they have not compiled grades for the 2012 season, but I think everyone agrees that 2012 was one of Heckert's better drafts. Did he hit on everyone. No. But he is evaluating talent better than his rivals and closing the talent gap between the Browns and the rest of the AFC North.
    Love it, great research and great post. Thanks

Thanks

DaNewCavs-great find with this quantifiable drafting formula. I'd be interested in seeing how Philadelphia has looked relative to Heckert; before, during, and after TH was the GM over there.

NFL reference....looks like I've found a new site to sponge up info.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCunleaded View Post
    DaNewCavs-great find with this quantifiable drafting formula. I'd be interested in seeing how Philadelphia has looked relative to Heckert; before, during, and after TH was the GM over there.

NFL reference....looks like I've found a new site to sponge up info.
    It would be interesting, but I'm not sure how much good it would do as Reid was/is making the final call.
    Ass pennies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMcCurry08 View Post
    The undrafted rookies he's picked up Fort, Robertson, Cooper, Gipson and Bademosi have been productive when they play. Bademosi is a special teams stud, Robertson has started most if not all season. Fort was productive until JMJ returned. Gipson just made a big interception against KC. Cooper i believe can be a Wes Welker type when given the PT
    Never will happen.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Voice For This Useful Post:

Don't just stare at it.. A Squared's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Optomist View Post
    Never will happen.
    Josh Cooper is a poor mans Mike Furrey.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,567 Times in 4,855 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmhtfld View Post
    Josh Cooper is a poor mans Mike Furrey.
    They do need help at safety
    Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    a skill that probably fits well in the world of PR where you want to listen tothe opinion of someone who thinks they know more than you

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AZ_ For This Useful Post:

Don't just stare at it.. A Squared's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,625 Times in 747 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    They do need help at safety
    True but throwing some white guy not named Weddle, Leonhard or Zbikowski out there is only gonna hurt us.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,149 Times in 178 Posts

This talk of Lombardi coming to Cleveland IMO is all coming from Lombardi. The only reason it continues to fester is because Banner won't squash it. Haslam is a very involved owner and he knows the backlash such a move would have from fans and other NFL organizations. I think its a PR nightmare to hire Lombardi and Haslam knows it. Haslam has been getting input from Robert Kraft and other owners (thats why you hear of the McDaniels talk) and it seems obvious that Lombardi hasnt had a job in an NFL front office for years. Bellicheck, Bill Walsh and Saban never gave this guy a job and that should speak volumes to the Browns.

In terms of a new coach, if I had to bet $, I would give the edge to McDaniels and then Saban. If Saban doesnt win a ring this year then I dont think he leaves. Haslam wants to make a big splash in his first hire and wants an S.O.B. type, both of these guys fit the bill. I think Cowher and Gruden will stay on TV, although Gruden is intriguing. Mike McCoy is also a candidate due to his work with Orton, Tebow and Peyton, although I dont know what his personality traits are.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,584 Times in 1,671 Posts

The Lombardi rumor is slowing it seems. Hopefully that's a good sign. Shurmur and Heckert are gone Monday and you'd think you would hear more details coming out about Lombardi, but we aren't.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Phills14 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,086 Posts

If you guys watch Showtime's Inside the NFL, the guys rag on Lombardi every week about going to Cleveland. Hell, they were giving out Christmas gifts last week and they gave him a Browns hat because they said it was cold.. and I think they gave him Cleveland Real Estate listings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoRatso88 View Post
    This talk of Lombardi coming to Cleveland IMO is all coming from Lombardi. The only reason it continues to fester is because Banner won't squash it. Haslam is a very involved owner and he knows the backlash such a move would have from fans and other NFL organizations. I think its a PR nightmare to hire Lombardi and Haslam knows it. Haslam has been getting input from Robert Kraft and other owners (thats why you hear of the McDaniels talk) and it seems obvious that Lombardi hasnt had a job in an NFL front office for years. Bellicheck, Bill Walsh and Saban never gave this guy a job and that should speak volumes to the Browns.

In terms of a new coach, if I had to bet $, I would give the edge to McDaniels and then Saban. If Saban doesnt win a ring this year then I dont think he leaves. Haslam wants to make a big splash in his first hire and wants an S.O.B. type, both of these guys fit the bill. I think Cowher and Gruden will stay on TV, although Gruden is intriguing. Mike McCoy is also a candidate due to his work with Orton, Tebow and Peyton, although I dont know what his personality traits are.
    Even if he dismissed it people would say he's just dismissing it out of respect to the NFL network.
    OU... OH YEAH!!!!

9/13