Jeremy Lamb
    Tor 2013 1st rounder
    Cle 2013 1st rounder

To OKC
    Anderson Varejao
    Orl 2013 2nd rounder

At least it works in the trade checker
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I dont know why OKC wouldnt just cut us out and make the deal for Love themselves... Also, it might not be white enough for Minny.
    how does minnesota give up the best player in the deal yet somehow manage to get stuck with the worst contract?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 462 Posts

Default Re: Kevin Love

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    how does minnesota give up the best player in the deal yet somehow manage to get stuck with the worst contract?
    Because they get two top 10 picks plus Lamb and Thompson.

It's not a perfect trade, but there is not a lot of wiggle room with these rosters when trying to make trades.
    ZZZ

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 783 Posts

The thing I love about Love (no pun intended) is that he's going to bring that LaMarcus Aldridge like quality of being automatic on mid range attempts.

In addition to that, he's able to stretch the defense out to the three point line, which would part the Red Sea for Irving to penetrate.

He's definitely one player I would include Varejao for. Also, for a team like us that wants to run the break, his grizzly bear full court outlet passes would be a treat too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImWithDan View Post
    While I would be thrilled to get Love, people are WAYYYYYYYYYYY underestimating what it would cost.

Love is one of the top 15-20 players in the league. When those guys are traded, it's not for a bunch of stiffs and a few drafts picks (unless we can get Jerry West on the phone).

For Minnesota to even listen it would likely take Andy, Waiters (or TT), our higher #1 this year and a future pick.

I'm sure some people will say that's way too much but we're talking about a player who's a career 17 and 12 guy and just 24 years old.

If he went on the market, he'd be one of the best young players in the last 5-10 years to become available via trade (while still under contract).
    top 10-15*

Quote Originally Posted by B Mac View Post
    Because they get two top 10 picks plus Lamb and Thompson.

It's not a perfect trade, but there is not a lot of wiggle room with these rosters when trying to make trades.
    yeah but lamb and thompson don't add that much and the cavs pick likely ends closer to #10 given the post-trade team. that's not that great a package when you're giving up the first or second best pf in the game and taking on $16M or whatever in essentially useless salary.

if a trade along those lines were to happen, cavs would def be taking perkins. swap him and jjb out for walton/boobie/whatever filler from cleveland and it's a lot closer (but still probably not enough unless love throws a hissy fit and actually demands out).

of course even with perkins going to cleveland, the cavs still easily say yes to the deal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post

yeah but lamb and thompson don't add that much and the cavs pick likely ends closer to #10 given the post-trade team. that's not that great a package when you're giving up the first or second best pf in the game and taking on $16M or whatever in essentially useless salary.

if a trade along those lines were to happen, cavs would def be taking perkins. swap him and jjb out for walton/boobie/whatever filler from cleveland and it's a lot closer (but still probably not enough unless love throws a hissy fit and actually demands out).

of course even with perkins going to cleveland, the cavs still easily say yes to the deal.

You're right that does look a lot better.

To Cle:
    Love
    Perkins

To Min
    Thompson
    Lamb
    Walton (expiring)
    Tor 2013 1st round pick
    Cle 2013 1st round pick

To Okc
    Varejao
    Orl 2013 2nd round pick

Could tinker with a few more pieces here and there, but that trade works. Would be a lot of salary for the Cavs to take on, but would likely be worth it.

Irving/Pargo/Sloan
    Waiters/Miles/Gibson
    Gee/Casspi
    Love/Samuels/Jones
    Perkins/Zeller/Leuer

Since we're being unrealstic anyway, this trade would still only put them at around 40 or so million in salaries come the 2014 offseason when you know who becomes a FA.

Irving
    Waiters
    James/Gee
    Love
    Zeller/Perkins
    ZZZ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,198 Posts

The issue here, which we've gone over several times in other parts of the board...is Sam Presti hasn't shown ANY real interest in acquiring Varejao, and by all accounts he definitely does not want to part with that Toronto pick.

Gold Star Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,723 Times in 944 Posts

If Kevin Love becomes available (which I don't think he might for at least another year or 2) you do what it takes to get him. Proven 24 year old who is one of the best young players in the league. You win with stars. Building around Love and Kyrie is a damn good way to start.
    I'd have zero problem giving up Varejao, Thompson, this year's #1 (unprotected) and a future #1.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 450 Posts

Irving and Love running pick n pop... ohhh yeah, that's the stuff dreams are made of.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

If Kevin Love does become available I have to say this would be so painfully tempting to bite on. However unlike everyone here i am reluctant to trade it all for him.
    If Minnesota does put him on the trade block its becuase he wants out. That in my opinion drops his value a litte. i don't mind the trade ideas that have been around now but i wouldnt give them our 2013 unprotected pick. I would rather give them our 2014 unprotected pick. I also wouldn't include Dion Waiters. The value Kevin Love would bring to the Cavs is undeniable however if he wants to leave surely we can push the value down.
    If you look at what Harden and Howard both brought in as well as the new collective bargaining agreement and the pressure teams are under to stay under the cap in the coming years, I dont see how a package of AV, 2014 unprotected #1 pick and T.T could be ignored come trade deadline and Love has made it clear he wants out. We need to make sure we value AV, he IS leading the league in rebounds. The difference between AV's value and Love's, is AV's age and Love's better scoring. The disparity between their values starts to come closer if Love decides he wants out.
    I also want to bring up the idea that there arent really a whole lot of teams with the assets to bring Love in and maintain their franchise centrepiece. Wizards? Without including an injure John Wall? The Hornets? They are really going to give up Anthony Davis? not likely. Maybe Denver? Kenneth Faried and Gallinari plus draft pick for Kevin Love? I dnt know thats a good offer i dnt know if Denver are willing to do that. Its an interesting situation, I dnt see how Love is going to stay in Minnesota for much longer and i think we need to explore all our options to get him. Partnering him and KI would be awesome. I would love to keep two things, Dion Waiters and 2013 pick. I would give up one or the other but wouldnt wanna lose both.

Thanks

If Love is available you do it. Give them whatever they want outside of Kyrie and Dion. 2013 first, 2015 first, and 2 out of TT, AV, and Zellar.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,813 Times in 947 Posts

2014 & 2015 #1s TT, Walton, Andy
    Browns QB wish list
    1) Blake Bortles
    2) Teddy Bridgewater
    3) Johnny Manziel
    4) Jimmy Garoppolo
    5) Derek Carr

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,589 Times in 3,193 Posts

I would absolutely give them our unprotected pick this year in a deal for Kevin Love. Come on, people. This is a pretty weak draft anyway. Kevin Love is already a superstar, and it's very unlikely we get anyone as good as him from this year's crop of draft prospects. This is literally the perfect year to trade an unprotected pick for a proven star player.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    I would absolutely give them our unprotected pick this year in a deal for Kevin Love. Come on, people. This is a pretty weak draft anyway. Kevin Love is already a superstar, and it's very unlikely we get anyone as good as him from this year's crop of draft prospects. This is literally the perfect year to trade an unprotected pick for a proven star player.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy89 View Post
    Seriously.

What are the chances, even with the 1st pick, that you hit on a guy who will average 20 & 14 as Love is now (and averaged 26 & 14 last season)? The fact he can shoot just makes him that much more valuable if we have guards that can drive and dish.

Guys like that don't come around often, and if you really did have a chance at him you don't haggle over not wanting to give up your #1.
    Without a doubt I'd give up our unprotected 1st, especially is it meant we could somehow hang onto Waiters. The amount of room that Love would open up for Waiters and Irving would be insane. Obviously I would love to be able to hang onto AV as well, but he'd have to be in just about any trade we make. Love is worth anyone not named Irving that's currently on our roster. Plus, Love is only 24 right now. He hasn't even hit his prime yet.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,589 Times in 3,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_The_Cat View Post
    Without a doubt I'd give up our unprotected 1st, especially is it meant we could somehow hang onto Waiters. The amount of room that Love would open up for Waiters and Irving would be insane. Obviously I would love to be able to hang onto AV as well, but he'd have to be in just about any trade we make. Love is worth anyone not named Irving that's currently on our roster. Plus, Love is only 24 right now. He hasn't even hit his prime yet.
    In my opinion, I would not give up the following in a Love trade:

1. Either Waiters or an unprotected 2013 first. The Wolves get one or the other, but not both.
    2. Tristan Thompson or Tyler Zeller. Again, the Wolves get one, but not both. That said, if they threw in Pek, they could have both and Varejao.
    3. Any future unprotected picks. Best to play it safe here.

You have to remember that, once we trade for Love, we still need a team if we want to convince Love to stay. Giving up literally everything we have except Irving puts the team in an even worse position than they are in right now. We'd lose all our assets. Sure, we'd have Love and Irving, but those two and three D-Leaguers aren't going to make the playoffs. We have to keep some of our current core and some of our future assets.

I would definitely do a Varejao-Thompson-2013 pick for Love/Williams. That, to me, is probably more than Minny would get anywhere else. It would also leave us with enough young talent and assets to continue building our team and give us a very good chance to retain Love in the long run.